A zero gravity chair, despite its name, does not defy gravity but instead minimizes the effect of gravity on one’s body. This is achieved by evenly distributing the user’s body-weight across the chair’s surface (Source).
Zero gravity chairs achieve this by suspending the user in a neutral posture where their feet are elevated to the same height as their heart.
The best zero gravity chairs will be comfortable, adjustable to your preferred reclining position, and offer ample loading capacity. Typically, the ones with an ergonomic reclining design will be most comfortable.
When leaning back into a zero gravity chair, a user experiences their own bodyweight less, allowing them to deeply relax and release tension (Source).
Zero gravity chairs are typically constructed of an indoor/outdoor polyester fabric. The fabric is usually PVC-coated and uses a strong elastic material or bungee cords that pull the chair’s upholstery tight, in order to make it strong enough to hold your body weight.
Before purchasing a zero gravity chair, consider the build materials, comfort, and size. You should also consider the quality of the construction and portability.
In this guide, we’ll review the top-rated zero gravity chairs. All of the chairs in this guide will be fantastic options, whether you are relaxing by the pool or enjoying a barbeque in the backyard.
What is a Zero Gravity Chair?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Zero Gravity Chair?
- 2 How Much Does a Decent Zero Gravity Chair Cost?
- 3 Comparing The Best Zero Gravity Chairs
- 4 1. AmazonBasics Zero Gravity Chair – Best Overall
- 5 2. Le Papillon Zero Gravity Chair With Removable Cushion – For the Extra Cushion
- 6 3. Akari Extra Large Zero Gravity Chair – Extra-Large To Accommodate
- 7 4. Portal Oversized Zero Gravity Chair – Most Luxurious Chair
- 8 5. Best Choice Products Two-Person Zero Gravity Chair – The Reclining Chair for Lovers
- 9 6. Super Decor Set Of Two Purple Zero Gravity Chairs – Best Chair for Dual Comfort
- 10 7. Timber Ridge Padded Zero Gravity Chair – Best Chair for Extra Comfort
- 11 8. Medical Breakthrough Zero Gravity Massage Chair – The Medical Choice
- 12 9. Ameriglide 325 Infinite Position Zero Gravity Lift Chair – Improved Mobility and Safety
- 13 10. Best Choice Products Folding Orbital Zero Gravity Chair – Best Looking Chair
- 14 Do Zero Gravity Chairs Work?
- 15 Can You Sleep on a Zero Gravity Chair?
- 16 What You Need To Know Before Buying a Zero Gravity Chair
- 17 Ready To Buy The Best Zero Gravity Chair?
A zero gravity chair is a type of recliner that does not apply any gravitational force on the person sitting on it. In other words, the person sitting in it is in a suspended position. As the body weight is evenly distributed in the chair, the body feels less stressed.
Scientists at NASA came up with this sitting position, as it helped astronauts feel less pressure during a rocket launch. Zero gravity chairs are designed to stay in a stable and sturdy position to let you rest on it without any discomfort. Even physicians recommend this position of relaxing to be the healthiest.
People with issues related to varicose veins, edema, or other bodily aches, can get a zero gravity chair to opt for a healthier sitting option. With such a chair, the body can feel relieved. It also offers proper circulation in the whole body, thus lowering stress to the heart.
You should also look out for those with extra features, depending on what you require.
How Much Does a Decent Zero Gravity Chair Cost?
If you are looking to spend on a zero gravity chair, then make sure to first learn about the features that you want in it. Many of them vary in prices based on the offered features.
Nonetheless, you can get a decent zero gravity chair at a starting price of $40. On the other hand, you can even get a zero gravity chair for as much as $1300.
The price difference is varies based on the quality of material used, the brand reputation, and other features. For beginners, a moderately priced chair would be fine to buy and use as per convenience.
Comparing The Best Zero Gravity Chairs
|AmazonBasics Zero Gravity Chair|
|Le Papillon Zero Gravity Chair|
|Akari Extra Large Zero Gravity Chair|
|Portal Oversized Zero Gravity Chair|
|Super Decor Set of Two Purple Zero Gravity Chairs|
|Best Choice Products Two-Person Zero Gravity Chair|
|Timber Ridge Padded Zero Gravity Chair|
|Medical Breakthrough Zero Gravity Massage Chair|
|AmeriGlide 325 Infinite Position Zero Gravity Lift Chair|
|Best Choice Products Folding Orbital Zero Gravity Chair|
1. AmazonBasics Zero Gravity Chair – Best Overall
It comes with a double-bungee support which securely connects the weather-resistant fabric made from Textilene to the durable steel frame—keeping it sturdy. With a 300 pound capacity, the chair has enough strength and space to hold you up comfortably.
It works perfectly both when reclining and when you are sitting upright in it. It also comes with some added features for maximum comfort like curved armrest and a headrest. Additionally, it is available in 4 different color varieties and can be folded flat for easy storage.
- Weather-resistant fabric
- 300-pound weight capacity
- Folds flat for easy storage
- It’s a little heavy to move around
- Not suitable for indoor usage
2. Le Papillon Zero Gravity Chair With Removable Cushion – For the Extra Cushion
The chair has a steel frame that is coated silver for durability and added beauty. The cushion is kept firmly in place on the chair frame by straps and back anti-skidding
The extra cushion also gives it a friendlier indoor look so that it fits in with the rest of your indoor furniture. The chair has extra features like a removable headrest and an adjustment knob for locking the chair in place in any reclining position you desire.
Additionally, it is easy to move about and can be stowed away easily when not in use. You also don’t have to go through any stress in setting it up since it is delivered fully assembled.
- Removable cushion
- Locking system for keeping reclining position in place
- No assembly required
- Works both indoors and outdoors
- Suede can be hard to keep clean
- No color variety
3. Akari Extra Large Zero Gravity Chair – Extra-Large To Accommodate
It has a detachable holder which can be used for holding your drinks, snacks, book, or phone. The chair also has a locking mechanism that helps to keep it in place in any reclining position you choose. Likewise, it has a detachable pillow headrest for added comfort.
There are 3 different colors available and each one is made of durable powder-coated steel material that stays rust free and waterproof regardless of the environment. Complementing all of this, the extra-large recliner is lightweight and folds up conveniently for easy transportation and for saving up storage space.
- Extra-large size
- Canopy to protect your face from the sun
- Detachable cup holder
- Waterproof and UV resistant
- A little more expensive than other zero gravity chairs
- Won’t look very nice indoors
4. Portal Oversized Zero Gravity Chair – Most Luxurious Chair
It also comes with an adjustable and detachable sponge pillow for comfortable resting. Its durable steel frame is designed for absolute comfort and maximum flexibility.
The zero gravity chair is lightweight, easy to move, and easy to store. Additionally, it can be folded flat to save space when not in use. It has a locking mechanism that is perfectly positioned beneath the armrest. This makes it easy to reach, so as to lock the chair in place. Finally, the chair is perfect for a relaxing afternoon in the backyard or a day at the beach.
- Oversized; enough space even for the tall
- Folds up for easy storage
- Attached side table
- Breathable mesh fabric
- Extra-length means shorter people will have a hard time touching the ground
- More expensive than other zero gravity chairs
5. Best Choice Products Two-Person Zero Gravity Chair – The Reclining Chair for Lovers
It has an adjustable and removable headrest and tray for holding cups and other items. The chair instantly adjusts to your body as it is made of an elastic material which is also UV resistant. Hence, the chair is perfect for a wide range of body types. Furthermore, it is suitable for settings ranging from outdoor camping to pool days.
Despite being larger, the chair is surprisingly lightweight and foldable. This makes it easy to move about in the house or transport for a romantic getaway at the beach. It comes in three different color varieties—tan, orange, and brown.
- Big enough to fit two people
- Removable/adjustable headrests
- Multiple color choices
- Cup holder
- No locking mechanism
- Large size makes it a bit bulkier to handle
6. Super Decor Set Of Two Purple Zero Gravity Chairs – Best Chair for Dual Comfort
The two sleek chairs come with all the extras you can ask for; cup holders, sunshade, and a slot for holding your mobile devices. This means you can set yourself up for a relaxing afternoon, as if you’re napping in your bed with an amazing bunkie board (top list here).
The chairs are also designed to be durable with a steel frame and UV resistant material. They also have knobs for keeping the chair locked in place in whatever position you want. Lastly, the high-quality elastic materials ensure that it always adjusts to your size whenever you make use of it.
- Chairs come in a set of two
- Comes with a sunshade, tray, and headrest
- Easy to use twist knob to lock in a reclined position
- A little heavy to move around
- Bright color may not work in every space
7. Timber Ridge Padded Zero Gravity Chair – Best Chair for Extra Comfort
It comes at a shorter length of 72 inches only. This makes it particularly limited to small-framed individuals. Other than this, the chair has all the essentials needed for comfort and some extras for luxury.
You get multiple reclining positions and a locking mechanism for keeping it in place. It also comes with a removable pillow which is padded for comfort. There are 3 color varieties available—blue, camouflage, and earth color.
- Extra padding for added comfort
- Fits shorter people perfectly
- 350-pound weight capacity
- Not really comfortable for tall people
8. Medical Breakthrough Zero Gravity Massage Chair – The Medical Choice
The chair is specially designed by a team of surgeons, chiropractors, doctors, and pain specialists. Hence, it is built with the absolute comfort of users and efficient performance in mind. That said, the reclining chair, to do its job properly, scans and adjusts to your body shape when you sit on it.
The massage feature is fully customizable allowing you to choose the specific areas that you would like massaged. It also comes with chiropractic function that will help you stretch your back and at the same time squeeze your knees in order to lengthen your spine. Once again, it takes the word comfort and satisfaction literally. It is specifically designed for medical alleviation of pains and body aches and definitely worth the price should you decide to go for it.
- Built-in massager and heat
- Designed by medical professionals
- Chiropractic back stretch function
- Completely customizable
- Very expensive
- Can only be used indoors
9. Ameriglide 325 Infinite Position Zero Gravity Lift Chair – Improved Mobility and Safety
It can also be fully customized for perfect comfort on your part. And asides the adjustable footrest, it also has a two-tiered seat-back and adjustable cushion. The Ameriglide zero gravity chair is an affordable way to improve safety and ease movement.
The zero gravity chair blends perfectly with your indoor furniture than most reclining chairs do. This, in turn, is one of the reasons why we recommend it for indoor use. There are four color options available for this chair; Bordeaux, chocolate, denim, and putty.
- Also a power lift chair
- Looks like a normal recliner
- Four color choices
- Perfect for taller people
- Shorter people may not find it as comfortable
10. Best Choice Products Folding Orbital Zero Gravity Chair – Best Looking Chair
No products found.If you are looking for a zero gravity chair with a cool modern look then this is the best option for you. It sits on circular crisscrossing steel frames made from powder-coated steel which is quite durable. At the same time, the design language keeps the chair in a permanent adjustable but comfortable reclining position.
The material and pillow are made of PVC material that is absolutely convenient to lie on. It is incredibly lightweight and folds up effortlessly making it very easy to move around. Moving on, the orbital zero gravity chair comes in 6 different colors that fit perfectly with the rest of your interior decoration. Its carrying capacity of 264 pounds means it is not made for the heavyweight, but it sure holds up an average person without stress.
- Cool modern look
- Lightweight and easy to fold
- Multiple color choices
- Comes with a removable pillow
- Can’t adjust the seat
- Max weight capacity is 264 pounds
Do Zero Gravity Chairs Work?
The answer to this question is subjective. However, zero gravity chairs are indeed created, keeping in mind scientific laws. Even NASA uses it for its astronauts to reduce strain on their bodies.
It is subjective because each person has a different level of experience. It depends on the pain level, the primary cause behind it, the tension on the muscles, etc.
So, it is best to understand if a zero gravity chair is going to suit your needs or not by doing a simple experiment. Lie down on the floor with your legs rested on a couch.
So, your legs will be in an elevated position. Try to figure out how you feel by laying in this position. Do you feel discomfort or a sense of relief? If you experience comfort, then you are well-suited to get a zero gravity chair for yourself.
Besides, gravity chairs are way more comfortable than a floor, so it is best to try one out for yourself to know the level of comfort it can give your body.
Can You Sleep on a Zero Gravity Chair?
You can sleep on zero gravity chairs. Here are the changes that you can expect in your body when you sleep on such recliners.
- Reduction in Snoring – Sleeping on a zero-gravity recliner will help you reduce snoring, as it keeps the head in an elevated position. That way, your nasal passage stays open efficiently.
- Improvement in Heart Health – You will also experience a healthy cardiovascular system, as there is little pressure on the heart.
- Reduction in Swellings – Swollen muscles and veins in your body feel alleviated when you are in a zero-gravity position.
- Helps Reduce Acidity – People often face issues, like acid reflux, when sleeping on a regular bed. The tilted position on a zero gravity chair eliminates chances of indigestion.
- Reduces Muscle Spasms – In zero gravity position, your body experiences relief from the strain of gravitational force on the muscles. So, it reduces muscle spasms.
What You Need To Know Before Buying a Zero Gravity Chair
Without question, there are several benefits to owning your own zero gravity chair. And if you decide to get one for yourself, it’s a totally awesome idea.
Point made, the sitting position you take in a zero gravity chair mimics the feeling of weightlessness and this has immense medical benefits.
First, it’s great for your spine as it gives your lungs a lot of relief. It is also known to reduce blood pressure and to also relieve pain.
That said, there is a long list of zero gravity chairs to choose from and that might be a bit tricky for buyers. Hence, here are a number of things you need to put into consideration before buying yourself a zero gravity chair.
1. Your Body Type
The main purpose of buying a reclining chair in the first place is comfort. Better yet, the very first thing that must be considered is how well the chair you are picking fits your body type.
This, to a very large extent, will determine how comfortable the chair will be. Since many chairs are designed to accommodate people of average weight and height—if your body type doesn’t fall into the range of being average you might need to look for something exactly your size.
In other words, there are chairs made specifically for tall people or short people. And that is what you should look out for while shopping for a chair. At least, in regards to your personal size.
2. How Often Will You Use the Chair?
There is simply no point in spending so much money on an expensive chair that you might only use once in a while. How often you will use the chair you want to buy is one of the major questions you need to answer. Is it going to be a permanent fixture in your living room? How often will you have to move it? And will it serve you both indoors and outdoors?
If you will be using your chair often, you might need to go for something more rugged and built to last. Otherwise, if you won’t be putting it to regular use, then mind your budget.
This is another important point to keep in mind when shopping for a zero gravity chair. For example, if you plan to use the chair both in the house and outside in your backyard—or even for relaxing on the beach, then something lightweight and easy to transport should be your target.
However, if you don’t mind keeping your chair in place, then the bulky multifunctional types will do. The fact that their bulky build allows extra features like massager and heat should also be noticed.
4. How Fancy Do You Want Your Zero Gravity Chair To Be?
Some people like pretty things even if it’s just a zero gravity chair. As a matter of fact, we are one of those interested in fancy designs and bright colors. Hence, there are certain models of reclining chairs made just for people like us. Nonetheless, if all you want is a functioning chair and you don’t care so much about its looks, then just go for something simple.
5. What Purpose Will Your Zero Gravity Chair Serve?
Is it just luxury or you have medical reasons for buying that chair. You need to answer that question and go for something built for your needs. You don’t have to spend so much on getting an expensive zero gravity chair that’s specialized. Though, for the aged or people with certain medical conditions, it’s the right choice. Moving on, it is wiser to go for something simple, if you just want to relax.
6. Is Brand Name Important?
While buying a big brand name doesn’t automatically guarantee that you are buying quality, there is still a lot of assurance that comes with purchasing from a famous brand. This isn’t to say that the other chair brands don’t have something great to offer too.
In fact, if you are working on a tight budget then you might want to avoid the big brands and the large bills that follow them. Instead, something less popular yet having quality (in spades by the way) should be a viable alternative.
All that said, for chairs with electrical parts, quality is key so it won’t be a bad idea to go for a known name in this case.
7. Your Budget
The idea here is not just to buy something cheap. That will be totally wrong. Rather than forfeit quality for cost, go for the best quality your money can buy. Of course, you might have to forfeit some extra features to get what you want.
Nonetheless, as long as your chair has all the basic components to work great, you are good to go. In other words, a combination of great price, excellent track record, and quality design is what you should look for in any product (not limited to this) regardless of your budget.
Ready To Buy The Best Zero Gravity Chair?
After a long stressful day at work, there is nothing better than coming back to your personal spot where you can relax and let all that stress slip away. Your zero gravity chair serves this purpose and a lot more.
It is thus important that you are not only choosing something that suits your pocket but something that suits your body as well.
Thus, consider all the factors that have been discussed here and how they apply to you. From there, make a decision that will not only last for a long time but will also serve its purpose.
Leave a Reply