If you are a nature lover, your home is probably surrounded by trees and bushes. Living close to nature comes with its fair share of work. You may have to deal with discarded branches and fallen leaves.
Instead of picking up the debris and fallen leaves by hand, you could do minimal work in keeping your yard clean by using a wood chipper (Source).
The best wood chippers are versatile and can be used any time of the year to minimize buildup of leaves and dead branches on your yard.
You can use wood chippers to clear up the mess after a storm and to get rid of dead plants and weeds from your home garden.
By using the machine, you can create some wood chip from the available tree branches for your wood smoker. This saves you the expense of purchasing the chips.
Some people consider portability and power, while others want wood chippers that come with big collection bags and shredders.
Best Wood Chipper Reviews 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Wood Chipper Reviews 2019
- 2 1. CSV-2515 Patriot – Best Electric Wood Chipper
- 3 2. PowerSmart PS10 Chipper – Best Wood Chipper for Composting
- 4 3. Tazz K32 Chipper – Best Wood Chipper for Mulching
- 5 4. Earthquake 14267 Chipper – Most Maneuverable Wood Chipper
- 6 5. Brush Master CH3M17 270cc 3″ Feed Commercial Duty – Best Wood Chipper for Large Yards
- 7 Tips To Consider When Shopping For a Wood Chipper
- 8 Our Final Take
|CSV-2515 Patriot wood chipper|
|PowerSmart PS10 Chipper|
|Tazz K32 Chipper|
|Earthquake 14267 Chipper and Shredder|
|Yard machines 24A-45M3000 Woodchopper|
1. CSV-2515 Patriot – Best Electric Wood ChipperThis unit is extremely powerful and can chip branches up to 5 inches thick. In addition, you can use it to shred leaves. You do not have to hassle for gas or oil because the unit turns on simply at the switch of a button. This electric wood chipper is eco-friendly and does not produce gas fumes. You can easily use it inside your garage, hothouse or even basement.
Highlights of This Product
This wood chipper plugs into a standard electric outlet. However, you will have to buy a separate heavy-duty extension because the wood chipper draws 14 amps of electricity. Patriot electric chipper weighs less than 100lbs and features sizable wheels to enhance maneuverability. It is suitable for smaller properties measuring less than half an acre. The wood chipper is designed to primarily shred up leaves and other small vegetative matter.
The wood chipper comes with a sizable collection bag for easy loading and offloading of leaves and other vegetative matter. Its tapered chipping cone allows you to feed rigid materials such as cornstalks and branches into the chipper. In addition, the chipping cone’s opening is wide to allow you to easily deposit debris for processing without having to prune them down to perfect, straight pieces that do not have offshoots.
The wood chipper features quality chipping knives made of steel. They are tough, durable and heat treated to resist wear. It is important to understand that this wood chipper is designed for chipping fresh vegetative matter. However, you can occasionally use the unit to cut small branches.
2. PowerSmart PS10 Chipper – Best Wood Chipper for CompostingThis is the best wood chipper for turning the vegetative matter in your yard into confetti. It is designed to shred non-pliable branches; otherwise, soft, pliable branches might gum up the inner parts of the wood chipper and make it less effective. This garden tool is easy to assemble and use. All you need to do is to attach the wheels and base frame and bob’s your uncle. The wood chipper is designed to be highly maneuverable even on bumpy conditions. However, you may need to purchase a longer extension cord if you intend to work extensive yards.
What Makes this Garden Tool Stand Out?
This is a powerful yard tool that features a 15-amp motor with speeds of up to 4500 rpm. It can easily take down branches up to 1 ½ inches in diameter. In addition, the machine is incredibly mobile.
Powersmart wood chippers feature safety locking knobs to prevent accidents caused by the blades and machine turning or spinning when the machine is turned on. In addition, an overload switch automatically switches the machine when it is fed with too much debris at once. This prevents damage to the machine’s motor and internal parts. It is incredibly suited for those small and medium jobs.
The machine is small but solid. It can cut through overgrown shrubs, vines and mulberry branches. If you require a compost heap, it comes with a handy mulching feature. The machine weighs 33 pounds and has 6-inch wheels making it easy to move around. It is perfect for small sized residential properties and it is easy to clean and maintain.
3. Tazz K32 Chipper – Best Wood Chipper for MulchingDespite its compact size, this wood chipper is incredibly powerful and provides consistent performance on branches measuring less than 3 inches in diameter. It is powered by a viper engine that is incredibly easy to start. In addition, the wood chipper features a rugged steel construction that makes it tough and durable. The wood chipper also comes with a 34-inch high hopper that makes cleaning up of the yard quite easy. Its heavy-duty knives and hammers can easily reduce the vegetative matter in your yard to a third of their original volume.
What makes the Tazz Wood Chipper so Popular?
This machine is designed for the way you shred. The entire frame of the machine is solid and will serve you for many years. Its steel hopper is made of solid steel to handle the rigors of dropping loads of plant matter. In addition, the wood chipper’s j-hammers can reduce the volume of vegetative matter in your yard by 20. This machine can provide perfect mulch after chipping.
This device uses gas and is powered by a powerful, 4-cycle engine. The motor gives the machine suction strength that can grind, chip and shred 3-inch thick branches. The device is perfect for medium-sized yards and properties with lots of wood area. The casing and blades of the product are made of steel and the kickstand and wheels make the machine well balanced.
The machine is 34 inches high making it easy to drop waste into the hopper. It comes with a collection bag that can be attached and detached to facilitate disposal. The wood chipper has a rubber mesh straps that keep the debris from flying out of the shredding chamber.
4. Earthquake 14267 Chipper – Most Maneuverable Wood ChipperThis wood chipper is not only eco-friendly, but it is also powerful enough to cut through 6-inch thick branches. It is also lightweight, which means that moving it around is not physically demanding. This wood chipper will automatically switch off when fed with excessive amounts of vegetative matter in one go. It is important not to try to operate the machine without its collection bag attached because it will throw out your mulch at very high speeds.
More Details about the Earthquake 14267
This product works well for a medium sized garden that is covered by tree branches in the spring and dead leaves during fall. It is gas powered and uses a powerful Viper engine. The machine features heavy-duty blades and triangular hammers that chop up branches up to three inches thick. It has two entry points to choose from. Tree branches can be fed through the chute located on the side of the machine or through the hopper on the top of the machine.
Not many wood chippers feature collection bags. You may have to use a rake or other garden tool to move the chippers to the required location or transport the chippers with a wheelbarrow. However, this wood chipper comes with a debris bag that is more than just a bag. It features a bottom-out zipper for easy loading and off loading of debris as well as a dock-and-lock bag connector. This collection bag makes it much easier for you to mulch your vegetative matter.
5. Brush Master CH3M17 270cc 3″ Feed Commercial Duty – Best Wood Chipper for Large YardsThis wood chipper comes with a powerful engine that delivers incredible performance. It also features a three-way feed system, debris bag, and drop-down and rake in chute. Yard machines wood chipper can handle branches up to 2 inches in diameter. It 10:1 debris ratio allows you to turn ten normal bags of vegetative matter into one.
Why We Love the Brush Master CH3M17
People with sizable yards will appreciate the incredible performance of this wood chipper. With 16 powerful hammers and one steel cutting blade, it can chip, shred, and mulch vegetative matter. Its rugged construction makes it strong and durable; it can easily handle hardwoods.
The wood chipper comes with semi-pneumatic wheels that maintain its balance and makes it easy for you to conveniently move it around. People with back problems will appreciate using this wood chipper because it comes with a collection bag that can drop down to the ground level to allow you to rake in debris.
This wood chipper is also environmentally responsible, and can transform as much as 12 bags of your yard’s debris into just one small bag.
Tips To Consider When Shopping For a Wood Chipper
Although there are many wood chipper brands on the market, many people do not know what to look for when buying a wood chipper. There are various factors to consider when buying a wood chipper.
It is important to determine how much you would like to spend on a wood chipper. Some wood chippers are more expensive than others. When shopping for a wood chipper, there is a good chance of getting one that fits into your budget.
Consider how much you are willing to spend and stick to that budget.
Amount of Yard Debris
Consider the type and amount of debris you have on your yard. If you are dealing with a few branches and leaves here and there then an electric wood chipper would work well for you. If you are planning to cut your trees in the future or have a large tract of land, then a gas-powered wood chipper would be ideal.
Level of Gardening Activity
When it comes to gardening, some people are more active than others. If gardening is not something you are enthusiastic about you should consider shopping for a convenient machine. Some of the machines come with wheels and handles for easy movement. Electric-powered wood chippers are much easier to maintain.
Therefore, if you are looking for a wood chipper that does not require much work or attention, then consider buying an electric powered wood chipper. On the other hand, gas-powered models are suitable for homeowners with sizable yards.
The Capacity of the Chipper
The features and specifications of a wood chipper show you exactly what the device can handle. Larger branches require a chipper with a larger capacity while smaller branches need a chipper with lower capacity. Remember the higher the capacity the higher the purchase price.
Knives and Blades
These components are what grinds and chops the wood. Be sure to choose wood chippers with blades that can cut through wood with ease. Another thing to consider is the accessibility of the blades in case you need to replace or remove the blades.
While trying to make the most of your investment look into self-sharpening blades that sharpen themselves after a while. Aside from increasing the lifespan, it lowers the maintenance costs.
There are plenty of wood chipper manufactures. Some brands might be familiar while others are not. It is important to shop for brands that you know because you know what to expect. However, this does not mean that unknown brands are of lower quality.
The most important thing is to choose a manufacturer that is trustworthy and concerned with customer satisfaction. Choosing the wrong brand may mean that you may be unable to find quality after sales service.
The longevity of any device is largely determined by how well maintained it is. However, not everyone remembers to do maintenance on their wood chippers. Therefore, if you are a forgetful person you are better off with a machine that needs minimal maintenance.
Some models require regular maintenance. However, if regular maintenance feels like too much work for you, consider getting an electric wood chipper. If you decide to buy a gas-powered wood chipper, consider buying one that features low oil sensor switch.
Consider the size of the wood chipper you want to purchase. Not everyone has a large garage or storage space to keep items. Select a chipper that can easily be accommodated in your house. This would prevent you from storing your wood chipper outside where it may be damaged by the elements.
You may need to transport your wood chipper over a considerable distance or even lend it to a friend or relative. Those who use their wood chippers for commercial applications may need to carry their machines between job sites. Having a unit that is light and easy to handle is a significant consideration.
Many wood chippers on the market feature collection bags. The bag is not really necessary for operation but it stores the debris. The bag is often made from durable material and varies in size. For some people, the 2-bushel bag meets their needs while others find the 5 bushel more suitable for their wood chipping needs.
One of the disadvantages of wood chippers with large collection bags is that they are often difficult to carry around and empty.
This is a significant factor to consider when buying wood chippers. Smaller chippers do not have tow bars, which means that you have to use the wheels and handle to move them from one place to another. If you choose an expensive but smaller model, ensure it has large wheels and ergonomic handle.
In addition, the wheels should be durable and replaceable. Some wood chippers come with spare wheels and parts so that you can easily replace them when they wear out.
Our Final Take
This Wood Chipper review is meant to help prospective customers invest in quality wood chippers and minimize regrettable purchase decisions.
There are many wood chippers on the market, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. It is advisable to choose wood chippers that fit your specific needs.
Research the best wood chippers before making a purchase decision. Consider various factors when shopping for a wood chipper including your budget, weight, size, and portability of the wood chipper.
Be sure to choose one that will serve you for longer. What’s your favorite wood chipper? Share with us below!