Great sound isn’t just about loudness, it is a combination of technical beauty that can only be achieved with the best of gadgets.
One of such is the subwoofer, designed to optimize, enhance and produce sound with all the fine details in place (Source).
Getting the job done and delivering quality sound is a function of how great the subwoofer is. When buying one you need to put into consideration certain factors.
Examples of such are its ability to synergize beautifully with the rest of your sound system and accurate frequency response.
Another feature which enhances the quality of sound produced is frequency. This is not shared by most subwoofers and it’s a crucial ability for a subwoofer to transmit at the deepest of frequencies (Source).
Low frequency is one of the major factors that contribute to how much we enjoy music, so it is one of the most important factors to consider.
Comparing The Top Ten Wireless Subwoofers
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Top Ten Wireless Subwoofers
- 2 1. REL Acoustics T/7i Subwoofer – Refined and Dynamic
- 3 2. Martin Logan Dynamo 300 Home Theater and Stereo Subwoofer – Compact and Affordable
- 4 3. Velodyne 80-IMP10B Impact 10 Inch 150 W RMS Subwoofer – Quality Subwoofer at a Great Price
- 5 4. Polk Audio PSW 10-Inch Subwoofer – The Smart Subwoofer
- 6 5. Sonos Sub Wireless Subwoofer – For An Immersive Sound
- 7 6. Klipsch R-110SW 10” 200 Watt Subwoofer – More Boom, Less Effort
- 8 7. Samsung SWA-W700 – Seamlessly Designed
- 9 8. Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofer – Very Powerful Subwoofer
- 10 9. Yamaha YST-SW216BL Subwoofer – Sophisticated Subwoofer
- 11 10. Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series 12-Inch 300-Watt Subwoofer – Style and Performance
- 12 What You Need to Know Before Buying a Wireless Subwoofer
- 13 Ready To Buy The Best Wireless Subwoofer?
|REL Acoustics T/7i Subwoofer|
|Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer|
|Velodyne 10 inches subwoofer|
|Polk Audio PSW 10-Inch Woofer|
|Sonos Sub Wireless Subwoofer|
|Klipsch R-110SW 10” 200 Watt Subwoofer|
|Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofer|
|Yamaha YST-SW216BL Subwoofer|
|Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy SeriesSubwoofer|
1. REL Acoustics T/7i Subwoofer – Refined and DynamicEnjoy the unique combo of top quality construction, and beautiful output with natural bass through this high-end subwoofer. It is perfect both for home theatre systems and stereos with a guarantee of the closest sound possible to the original.
This sub will work well both in small as well as large rooms and with any type of system. It connects using Arrow wireless connectivity. A Front-firing 8″ steel driver, combines with the 10″ Down-firing Passive driver to give you awesome ground shaking sound.
It has a peak output of 200 watt and its powerful class A/B amplifiers are very much reliable. Ideal position to place this subwoofer is in one of the two front corners closest to the screen and main speakers. The deep bass output is reinforced by Corner positioning.
2. Martin Logan Dynamo 300 Home Theater and Stereo Subwoofer – Compact and AffordableThis is one of the best options available for you on the market. This subwoofer has a sleek and compact look that blends in well with your home interior. As a matter of fact, it’ll look like a part of your furniture. Though, its tremendous bass to your sound system might give away its position.
The 75-watt amplifier and 150-watt peak output produce dominant and powerful bass completely without distortion. Some other features of this device include; low turbulence port for extreme bass output and ability to connect via stereo left and right inputs. It can also be connected through the home theater LFE Input.
All its components are carefully designed and manufactured to the highest standard. When looking for a device with the highest performance bass, then Martin Logan Dynamo 300 should be at the top of your list.
3. Velodyne 80-IMP10B Impact 10 Inch 150 W RMS Subwoofer – Quality Subwoofer at a Great PriceThis is a device that fits snugly and can connect to your audio devices from anywhere in your room. To do this, it uses the Velodyne WiConnect system. Moving on, with this subwoofer you get nothing less than perfect sound output. It has a one touch auto-EQ room bass correction feature and a 4 one touch listening presets that provides easy and simple controls.
The Impact drivers come with massive magnets and 2-inch copper-wound coils that precisely match their MDP Amplifiers. This helps to maximize the bass output as well as extension of each of your subwoofers.
The DPS-10 produces superior bass with its down-firing ported cabinet. And this makes it a perfect choice for your home theatre system. You get 390 watts of output with little or no sound distortion for a high volume level.
4. Polk Audio PSW 10-Inch Subwoofer – The Smart SubwooferGet an amazing bass response without taking up space, perfect for even the smallest of apartments. This 10-inch sub-woofer really packs a punch. You get up to 100-watt power handling with very little distortion across all its ranges. All this possible, since it uses a Klippel Distortion analyzer.
This distortion analyzer makes use of laser interferometry technology to analyze and cancel out distortion. It optimizes the motor structure as well as the coil alignment of the woofer. Hence, you get minimal buzz on playback.
The sub is however, not like other side-firing varieties we have out there. A frequency of 20-200 HZ means it only conveniently covers the low ends but doesn’t do well with the full spectrum like other models can. But for the price you are getting this device for, it is definitely worth it. It also has an attractive look to it.
You will also be getting an intelligent subwoofer. It comes with smart sensing circuitry which knows just when to turn itself on or off. Also, the adjustable low-pass crossover, phase switch and subwoofer volume controls help to control your bass output.
5. Sonos Sub Wireless Subwoofer – For An Immersive SoundThe Sonos brands is indeed a known name in the world of wireless handoff subwoofers and the company continually delivers nothing less than top quality. We know the typical problem of smaller speakers like this is that they do not offer much of low end frequency, but the Sonos has been able to turn this around.
This subwoofer covers all spectrum beautifully including the deep, low ends. Yet without any complexity. It has a simple one-button design that needs absolutely no instructions to operate giving you style and simplicity all at one go.
The product also gives you unrestricted bass response that keeps your cabinet free from rattling or buzzing while your speaker works. It goes well as an addition to your cabinet set up or simply on the floor. The Sonos app allows you to connect the subwoofer to the rest of your sound system without any stress at all
6. Klipsch R-110SW 10” 200 Watt Subwoofer – More Boom, Less EffortWith an impressive range of 27 -150 Hz, this compact subwoofer has all you need to get your grove on. It gives you an excellent bass reproduction that adds depth to your sound with little or no distortion at all.
An all-digital amp delivers powerful bass. Its front ports give you a strong frequency even at low range frequency. It also uses a MDF Plinth’s acoustic decoupling system. Due to that, you get minimal ambient room noise all combining to give you superb quality sound.
This sub gives you 200 watts of power and can handle bursts as high as 450 watts.
7. Samsung SWA-W700 – Seamlessly DesignedAs always, Samsung delivers the sleek and stylish design their gadgets are known for. It is an excellent addition to your sound setup. Wireless connection means you can place your SWA-W700 subwoofer anywhere in your room and still get excellent sound. It also has a capacity to auto-tune itself to the center speaker when connected to it.
A distortion canceling technology additionally gets rid of any form of rattling and buzzing. And you also get an advantage of being able to expose the speaker by removing the grill. It not only has quality sound but lovely design that will make an excellent complement to your interior décor.
8. Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofer – Very Powerful SubwooferWith this subwoofer you get 600 watts of deep bass all to yourself. And that bass goes anywhere you want it to be in your room with wireless technology.
The R-112SW’s intensity comes from its 12-inch, front-firing driver which delivers a lot of power. This is able to create up to 600 watts, and you’ll definitely need to reduce the overwhelming quality sound sometimes. Or you can get lost in the exceptional experience.
The subwoofer has a simple yet stylish design so it not only sounds good but looks good too. Whether its movies night or you just want some ground shaking music, this sub will never fail.
9. Yamaha YST-SW216BL Subwoofer – Sophisticated SubwooferThe sophisticated and plush design of The Yamaha YST-SW216BL is very good. But much more than looks, the sub delivers quality sound in the most unique way. A magnetic shielding and a 10″ stroke cone driver guarantees device safety and easy of placement.
It also comes with an advanced servo-technology. In turn, this gets rid of impedance and ensures accurate linear motion, optimum performance and great sound. It has a 3-way input posts and frequency in the range of 25 – 180Hz.
Other unique features in this sub, includes an integrated high cutoff filter as well as a noise reduction technology. This powerful sound box delivers the boom factor to your movie nights and superb paper rattling musical sound.
10. Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series 12-Inch 300-Watt Subwoofer – Style and PerformanceThe Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 packs all you need for beautiful sound delivery. It has 12″ cone, 300-watt BASH digital amp, and a frequency range of 4 – 120Hz. This is coupled with phase control and a variable low pass filter.
It also has a large venting port, stereo speaker inputs or outputs and RCA line level inputs. This sub forms a great tag team with any excellent sets of speakers to deliver great sound experience.
You also get as part of the already rich package, an increased bass response and minimal distortion.
What You Need to Know Before Buying a Wireless Subwoofer
Subwoofers boost your home theater experience. That very unique and intense sound that grabs you when you go to a cinema is made possible by a subwoofer.
It’s not just about what you hear but also has a lot to do with what you can feel. And the best thing is that you can have it right in the comfort of your home.
However, you can’t just go the market and simply purchase a subwoofer. There are certain important points you need to consider and different options to pick from.
This is not just in terms of brands but also the types of subwoofer available on the market. Here are some notable types
These are subwoofers powered using an external amplifier, just like other speakers in the system. Using a passive subwoofer means you will have to place an external amplifier for your subwoofer. This falls between the sub and the home theatre receiver. In turn, the needed amplifier power is supplied easily to the subwoofer
The self-powered types of subwoofers are the most common. They have their own in-built amplifier which is a big advantage. This is because you’ll be able to adjust your subwoofer volume independent of the theatre receiver.
All you need to do is connect your subwoofer to the sub output of a receiver. No extra amp required. This takes the load off the amp and receivers allowing them to power the tweeters and mid-range more easily.
Front-Firing and Down-Firing Subwoofers
A front or side-firing subwoofer is a sub in which sound is radiated from the side/front. A down-firing subwoofers however has its speakers radiating sound downwards.
Although both types give similar results, it is generally believed that a front-firing subwoofer is better placed in front of the room. On the other hand, the best place to place a down-firing sub is in a corner or at the side wall.
Apart from knowing the different types of subwoofers available, there are some basic features you also need to look out for. And they go a long way in determining how well your speakers will perform.
Generally, a good subwoofer has a crossover with frequency in the range of 100hz. This is one of the most important things to seek for in a subwoofer. The crossover serves the purpose of routing all the frequencies that fall below a specific level to the subwoofer.
Also, you don’t really need a large 3-way speaker system with 12″ or 15″ woofers. Instead, a small satellite speaker which has been optimized for mid-and-high frequencies, will do the trick.
Ports and Passive Radiators
Look out for subwoofers with enclosures that have additional ports. These ports forces out air which increases bass response on your sub. These are a lot better than those with sealed enclosures.
Some subwoofers also have enclosures that uses a passive radiator together with the speaker instead of a port. This is both precise and efficient. A passive radiator works by reacting to air pushed from the subwoofer drive. This complements the action of the active driver, and increases the subwoofer’s low-frequency response.
Another important point you need to put in mind is where the subwoofer will be placed. Since the subwoofer produces low frequencies, you must place it in a place where sound output will be optimum. This means factors like room size, furnishing, as well as wall construction have to be put into consideration.
Other important things you must also consider includes the driver size. This goes a long way to determine how much bass you get out of your sub. Another point is frequency. The best of sounds is believed to be produced at frequencies as low as 20Hz.
However, most subwoofers cannot successfully reproduce this and those that can, might come a bit pricey. That’s why on average, a frequency range of around 35Hz is recommended.
Ready To Buy The Best Wireless Subwoofer?
Despite all the technicalities of picking out a subwoofer that has been discussed, your final choice depends on personal preferences.
After that, we have budget and the room or apartment where the subwoofer will be set up.
This should of course follow all the necessary checks of basic quality features. Also, the extra benefits that come with each type of subwoofer should be considered.
What’s your favorite wireless subwoofer? Share with us below!