Whether you need to fire up a wall tent stove, light a cigarette, roast marshmallows on the campfire, or light the way in an emergency situation, a lighter is a very helpful piece of equipment to have.
No matter where you go, it’s always smart to carry a lighter with you just in case (Source).
Everyone needs a high-quality windproof lighter. These lighters are used by do-it-yourselfers, fishermen, hunters, campers, military personnel, etc. Yet, not every lighter is a good lighter.
A good lighter is supposed to involve simple mechanism, provide numerous safety features, look good, and offer a good wind resistance. But how to find such a lighter?
If you’re seeking the top-end cigarette lighter, take the time to check out our reviews.
What is a Windproof Lighter?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Windproof Lighter?
- 2 Comparing The Best Windproof Lighters
- 3 1. Zippo Chrome Lighters — Best Backpacking Lighter
- 4 2. Tesla Coil Windproof Arc Lighter – Best Electric Plasma Lighter
- 5 3. Zippo Matte Pocket Lighter – Best For Camping and Hiking
- 6 4. Pack of 4 Single Jet Flame Torch Lighter – Best Jet Flame Lighters
- 7 5. Bolt Electric Plasma Arc Lighter — Best Cold Weather Lighter
- 8 Features of the Best Windproof Lighters
- 9 Most Common Issues People Have with Windproof Lighters?
- 10 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Windproof Lighter
- 11 Ready To Buy The Best Windproof Lighter?
Imagine that you are out camping in nature with some friends. It’s getting dark and you all want to make a fire, but can’t get a lighter to make a flame. The wind is simply too strong.
Situations like this are a common reason people choose to get a windproof lighter. Designed to work in windy conditions, a windproof lighter is much better at its job than a typical disposable lighter.
Comparing The Best Windproof Lighters
|Zippo Chrome Lighters|
|Tesla Coil Arc Lighter|
|Zippo Matte Pocket Lighter|
|4-Pack Jet Flame Torch Lighters|
|Bolt USB Rechargeable Lighter|
1. Zippo Chrome Lighters — Best Backpacking LighterIt’s impossible to talk about the best lighters without making mention of Zippo. Surely the most popular lighter brand, Zippo amazes and innovates with its new technologies whilst retaining the distinctive appearance and quality that many people around the world recognize and love.
Even though they are neither electronic nor rechargeable, these Zippo lighters remain the best deals on the market. Offering a windproof design and featuring all metal construction, these are both functional and modern. Since they are manufactured in the United States and have a lifetime warranty, you can go for any of these models with peace of mind.
One convenient feature of these fuel-operated windproof lighters is that it’s not necessary at all to press any button to keep them lit. Plus, they will not spontaneously light when you close the lid. The biggest downside of this product is that the fluid evaporates over time, especially when used in dry climates. That’s why you should refill your lighter prior to setting out. For longer trips, make sure to bring some extra fuel.
Keep in mind that you will need to purchase the wicks and flints along with the lighter fluid. But it’s really an insignificant price to pay for the timeless functionality and ingenuity you get from Zippo brand.
Zippo chrome lighters come in different colors and finishes. However, if you aren’t a fan of classic chrome look, go with the Zippo Matte Pocket Lighter showcased below.
2. Tesla Coil Windproof Arc Lighter – Best Electric Plasma LighterThis Tesla Coil lighter comes with a USB-rechargeable battery. In addition, you can use a cell phone charger to charge it; a USB charging cable is included. Instead of fluid body and butane, it uses a Li-ion battery. When fully charged, it can last up to 7 days and provide from 100 to 300 “clicks.”
A rechargeable electric design eliminates the need for smelly and messy fuel. On the top of this, the Tesla Coil Lighter integrates the plasma arc welding that sets it apart from the rest. All these features make this electric windproof lighter a clever choice. Yet, if you’re one of those people who like long-term trips, it may not be the best choice for you. That’s because you will need to have access to an electrical outlet and bring a portable USB adapter as well.
Weighing only 3 ounces, the lighter is very portable and easy to carry around, which makes it convenient for outdoor activities like camping and hunting. Moreover, it works well even when used at higher altitudes and cold temperatures.
3. Zippo Matte Pocket Lighter – Best For Camping and HikingZippo Matte is a cigar lighter that boasts a unique Zippo “click” and distinctive framework. Thanks to the all-metal construction, it is super strong and durable. A metal, matte-completed case makes this product irresistible. To look even more attractive, it comes with Zippo logo engraved.
We regard the orange color as a big advantage for camping and hiking, as it is eye-catching and hence easy to notice. Besides orange, there are other color options available, too.
Being windproof and refillable (both wick and fuel), Zippo Matte lighter works for just about any intent and purpose. It’s great for both open-air and indoor utilizes. Whether you’re an outdoorsman or smoker, this premium lighter is going to profit you a lot.
It uses a special Zippo premium lighter fluid which does not discharge the harmful exhaust. The lighter is refillable, meaning you will get a lifetime, genuine utilization.
4. Pack of 4 Single Jet Flame Torch Lighter – Best Jet Flame LightersAs opposed to other models reviewed here, the Jumbo flame-side lighters generate a blue jet flame that can be adjusted according to any specific need. There are 4 units in the package, each of which is in a different color — red, blue, orange, or black. These windproof gun lighters are four inches tall.
That allows you to always have one near at hand and stash the another three in your backpack, car, garage, or elsewhere. A single flame produced is a good fit for a variety of activities. Since the lighters are refillable, once they run dry, you can simply refill them with any butane gas and continue enjoying an activity. The containers are fairly large so that they can last for a long period of time once filled.
Jumbo Jet Flame Torch lighters are particularly popular among campers, allowing them to quickly and easily light a campfire in nature. Besides, you can use them to light candles and cigarettes. However, be careful when using these lighters because the flame is extremely hot due to the butane gas.
5. Bolt Electric Plasma Arc Lighter — Best Cold Weather LighterIf you are looking for the high-tech innovative electrical lighters, look no further. The BOLT USB Rechargeable lighter is your best choice. By using the latest Electro Plasma Arc technology, this windproof lighter can light a candle or cigarette without creating a flame.
Since there’s no flame produced, it’s completely fire-safe and very safe to use. Furthermore, the lighter integrates an inbuilt safety feature which ensures that it can’t go off when the lid is closed. So, it won’t cause a fire if the perform button is pressed accidentally. Regardless of the weather, you’ll always be able to set something on fire with this amazing lighter.
Weighing only about 2.5 ounces and measuring 1.5 by 0.5 by 3 inches, the lighter is very portable and can be easily gripped with one hand. It comes with a USB-rechargeable battery, charging cable, and carrying pouch. The lighter can last about 3 hours on a single charge, providing around 300 ticks.
Features of the Best Windproof Lighters
If you want a windproof lighter, you won’t need to set aside that much money or spend too much time considering your options. In order to make this process quick and smooth for you, we have compiled the features that you will find in any of the best windproof lighters.
Quickly Lights What You Need to Light
The first thing you need to consider is what type of lighting jobs you need to handle. Lighting campfires, for example, may require a completely different type of lighter than what you might need to light a pipe or cigarette. Make sure that the windproof lighter you choose is designed to do the work you need to be done.
Water Resistant & Windproof
As the name implies, windproof lighters are designed to work better than standard lighters in windy conditions. However, not all windproof lighters will work when water gets thrown into the equation.
Many people who want a windproof lighter also want a lighter which is water-resistant. If this describes you, try to purchase a windproof and water-resistant lighter like the Zippo Chrome Lighter.
Small, Lightweight, & Portable
Any sort of lighter should be small and easy to carry around. Whether it be a disposable lighter or windproof lighter, you shouldn’t sacrifice much pocket space. High-quality windproof lighters are about as big as disposable lighters and only weigh a few ounces or so.
Long Life & Easily Refilled or Recharged
One of the most common complaints of standard disposable lighters is that they don’t last that long. This is usually because the fuel runs out and there is nothing to make a fire with. If you get the right windproof lighter, this problem can be avoided.
It’s also important to understand that certain windproof lighters don’t use fuel at all, instead of using electricity to make a plasma arc. In any case, you need to find a windproof lighter that both lasts long and can be easily refilled.
Simple Maintenance Requirements
Any sort of lighter is prone to problems and minor breaks. This is why you should figure out what type of maintenance is necessary. As an example, you will need to eventually replace the flint on a fuel-based lighter. Make sure that the lighter you choose can be easily maintained and has all the spare replacement parts readily available.
Most Common Issues People Have with Windproof Lighters?
- Not Always Windproof: As the name implies, people sometimes get a windproof lighter with the expectation that it will always work on the first attempt. It is supposed to be windproof, after all. In reality, you should expect a windproof lighter to be much better in windy conditions but not perfect.
- Too Much Maintenance: When you get disposable lighters, there is no maintenance required. You simply throw it away when it stops working. Windproof lighters, on the other hand, will usually require check-ups, refills, recharges, new parts, and so on.
- Low Level of Versatility: Lighters come in many different designs and models. Electric plasma lighters, for example, don’t actually create a flame. Then, there are models which are best described as a torch. The level of versatility will be impacted by the type of lighter you choose.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Windproof Lighter
Windproof lighters are designed for various uses and they come with a unique set of features.
We have identified some of the essential factors for you to take into consideration when purchasing a windproof lighter. That will help you select a lighter that meets your needs.
The build is certainly one of the most important factors to consider when buying a lighter. If you use a butane lighter, make sure it is sturdy and tight. Otherwise, it’s gonna explode if you accidentally drop it on a hard surface like concrete. A good fighter must be capable of taking occasional drops.
Whether you’re a fan of sleek and flashy lighters or not, be sure to choose the design that can suit most conditions — both outdoor and indoor.
Reliability and Durability
The reliability is the next thing to take into account. While different types of lighters can light a fire, they’re differing widely in regard to reliability.
For example, butane lighters tend to be quite unreliable in the wild, especially in cold conditions. The lighters with a wick, on the other hand, can be used in cold environments; however, their fuel is prone to leakage which could be a serious problem when you’re in the wild.
You can also use an electric windproof lighter. It does not require any fuel to light and is rather reliable in windy conditions. The only problem could be how to find an electrical outlet in the great outdoors.
When traveling outdoors, one of the last things you want during your trip is a broken lighter. In order not to be betrayed in a difficult situation, choose a lighter that’s meant to last for a long time. It should be robust and strong to sustain any impact and pressure.
That’s why almost all windproof lighters come with a metal body. To be entirely impact-resistant, some lighters are constructed with exterior armors. Stainless steel models are considered to be the best choice because they are very durable and don’t rust over time.
One of the major concerns for buyers when choosing a lighter is whether to opt for electric or fuel operation. That will have a great impact on the type of the flame and other features of your lighter. While electric lighters should be recharged, fuel-powered versions require being refilled from time to time. Electric-powered models are windproof by nature, but they need better tinder.
If you’re searching for a reliable windproof lighter that can be used in colder temperatures as well as at higher altitudes, then your best choice is an electric lighter. It will also keep you away from the hassle and issues related to the fuel. However, the fuel lighters would be a better solution if you don’t wanna charge the lighter and seek a real flame.
Unlike most standard lighters, the windproof flame lighters provide a direct flame and therefore can work in both windy and rainy conditions. Such a torch-like flame is favorable in different situations and you won’t have to worry about the safety or efficiency.
Fuel or Charge Capacity
It’s always good to know how much fuel a certain lighter can carry when it comes to a fuel-powered option, i.e. how long it can hold a single charge in case of an electronic lighter. Besides, you should have a clear sense of how much you intend to use your lighter between recharges or refuels.
If there’s no way to recharge or refuel your lighter, you will need to purchase one that offers enough charge capacity or fuel so as to last as long as possible during your backcountry trip.
Any fuel lighter has a tank which gets empty at some point. The tank size can give you a better idea of how long the lighter will last. If you’re planning a 7-day hiking trip, a lighter with a big tank is your safe bet.
Type and Design
There is a diverse range of lighters out there to choose from. However, all of them can be classified in any of the following categories:
- Zippo design – These lighters feature a unique windscreen wherein the air go through the entire screen and thus makes the flame move and withstand winds.
- Jet flame – These are butane based and feature wide-diameter flames that can ignite bigger portions with ease. They can light up the cigarette in a matter of seconds, which makes them ideal for pipe or cigar smokers.
- Double flame torch – These typically contain a cap that keeps the flame element safe when not in use. They are suitable for starting fires or lighting charcoal grills.
- Electric plasma – No fuel is needed. Instead of an actual flame, these lighters create a small arc of heat. They are able to work even in high winds.
When you’re out in the wilderness, it must be designed to serve you under different conditions.
Ready To Buy The Best Windproof Lighter?
Picking the best product which stands above the rest is always a difficult task.
When it comes to windproof lighters, it’s important to consider certain features, such as performance, housing, fuel/charge capacity, fuel type, and design, before choosing one. But with so many excellent windproof lighters out there, it can be a daunting challenge to pick one that’s perfect for you.
Luckily, you’ll not have to do any research, since we’ve already compiled and done everything for you. We have highlighted the top 5 windproof lighters, each of which offers the much-needed reliability and the highest quality.
Now that you know the best windproof lighters, skim through our review guide and select one!