Whether you’re on a long road trip or just your daily commute, you need a radar detector that is not only reliable, but doesn’t break the bank. If you are in the market for a new radar detector, the Whistler CR93 is worth investigating, especially since it’s enabled with GPS.
The Whistler CR93 is complete with city and highway modes. It also alerts you not to police radar, speed traps, and traffic cameras. A feature that makes the Whistler CR93 especially noteworthy is its safety function that prevents you from falling asleep at the wheel on long trips.
How Do You Know if the Whistler CR93 is Right For You?
Table of Contents
- 1 How Do You Know if the Whistler CR93 is Right For You?
- 2 Whistler CR93 Specs
- 3 Whistler CR93 Alternatives
- 4 Whistler CR93 Features
- 5 Why Whistler CR93 is One of the Best Radar Detectors on the Market
- 6 User Feedback and Reviews
- 7 How Much Does the Whistler CR93 Cost?
- 8 Should You Buy the Whistler CR93?
The Whistler CR93 is one of the few affordable radar detectors on the market. It will help you keep from having to pay costly fines by keeping you alert to driving.
This particular radar detector has voice alerts that identify to you possible nearby radars without requiring you to take your eyes off the road. It will even tell you the speed you were traveling when it gives you the alert.
Not only will it detect radar, but it also has speed camera alerts and red-light camera alerts so you can adjust your driving accordingly. The money you pay for a radar detector like this one is an excellent investment. That’s because it promises to eliminate expensive tickets if used as directed.
However, while affordable, customer reviews are mixed. Therefore, it’s best to weight all the pros and cons.
That’s why we’ve compiled a plethora of information about the Whistler CR93 that can be found below. You can be confident that by the end you will make the best decision about whether or not you choose to purchase it.
Whistler CR93 Specs
- Weight: 12 ounces
- Width: 3.12 inches
- Height: 1.3 inches
- Length: 4.93 inches
- Warranty: 1 year from date of purchase
- Languages: English and Spanish
- Mount: Suction cup
- Power Source: ACC socket
- Modes: 3 city, 1 highway
- Display: Digital
Whistler CR93 Alternatives
|Cobra RAD 450|
Whistler CR93 Features
The Whistler CR93 has various necessary features to a good radar detector. For example, it has laser detection. It can detect a variety of police lasers, including Laser Atlanta Stealth mode, LTI Truspeed S, and Laser Ally.
While this radar detector doesn’t have the longest range, you can still benefit from its quick alert system. Almost immediately after a laser is detected, the rapid notification system alerts you to the lurking danger ahead.
Not only will you be prompted quickly by the alert, but with the voice function, you will be able to know precisely what the threat is. That way, you will never have to take your eyes off the road to look at your machine.
Why Whistler CR93 is One of the Best Radar Detectors on the Market
Not surprisingly, the Whistler CR93 has a few downsides when compared to other radar detectors in its price range. However, it does have a few features that outdo the competition when it comes to an affordable radar detector. The following list is just a few of the reasons why the Whistler CR93 is one of the best radar detectors on the market for the price.
- GPS Enabled: Whistler CR93 stands out from other radar detectors in its price range because of its GPS. It is difficult, if not impossible, to find other radar detectors that have this feature and cost less than $300.
Why does the GPS make the radar detector so much better? It allows the machine to have access to a database that reveals upcoming red-light and speed cameras. It can even know where speed traps are located so you can slow down in time.
- Stay Alert: Very few radar detectors on the market have this feature. When using the Stay Alert feature, the Whistler CR93 requires you to push a button after it beeps occasionally. If you fail to do so in five seconds, it lets out a loud noise. This feature is ideal for long road trips and driving at night.
- Traffic Flow Signal Rejection: The TFSR, as well as six filter modes, help to eliminate any false alerts that would be caused by traffic monitoring systems.
User Feedback and Reviews
As far as the Whistler CR 93 goes, there are a wide range of praises and complaints. There is no better way to know if this is the right radar detector for you than examine reviews from other consumers.
Most Common Complaints
- Alert Malfunction: Many customers observed that alerts would randomly go off when there was no police officer around. Others stated that the machine would stay quiet even when police cars and radar systems were in plain sight.
- Poor Design: The buttons on the CR93 are not well labeled in on the device or in the manual. So even though there are only four buttons to imply user-friendliness, the lack of labeling can make learning how to use the device difficult.
- Lacking in Quality: The craftsmanship of the Whistler CR93 leaves much to be desired. Not only were there complaints about the quality of the sound, but also the quality of the device itself. Some parts can easily break, such as the ACC plug, while other parts were missing altogether.
Most Common Praises
- The Price: If you want all the perks of an expensive radar detector without the price tag, the Whistler CR93 will give you quite a bit for your money. Most customers agreed that for the price, this was a great radar detector.
- GPS Technology: The Whistler CR93 not only identifies the position of radar signals, but can also record them for future reference.
- Window Mount: Suction cups hold the CR93 tightly to the windshield so you can easily read the device without having to look down or away from the road.
How Much Does the Whistler CR93 Cost?
Currently, the CR93 is priced under $150. Considering all that this radar detector as to offer, a lot is included for the price.
Other radar detectors with similar features, such as GPS ability and the Stay Alert feature, can cost anywhere from $300 to $500.
Should You Buy the Whistler CR93?
If you speed regularly, there are other radars on the market that, although they are more expensive, are more reliable. With only 3.5 stars on Amazon, it isn’t worth taking the chance of getting a ticket.
That being said, the Whistler CR93 is perfect for drivers who want to be aware of their surroundings and avoid speed traps. It works pretty consistently in letting you know what to expect around the corner thanks to its GPS function.
However, it cannot guarantee that it will alert you to every police car you pass. This is especially true if anything is blocking the signal, such as a hill.
Overall, the Whistler CR93 does a good job of alerting you to nearby radar or traffic monitors. For the price, you can expect it to have an occasional malfunction, but these are rare, and for the most part, it will perform as expected.
If you’re looking for an affordable radar detector that helps you stay alert and aware of what’s ahead, the Whistler CR93 may be just the one for you.