Using exercise machines can be very detrimental for your house’s floor; constant movement can (and will) cause scratches and unintended damage to the surface located exactly beneath the machine.
This is especially true for treadmills, which tend to move a lot. Thankfully, treadmill mats are ideal to prevent this.
Treadmill mats are available in many different shapes and forms. You can choose to purchase whichever one better fits the measures of your treadmill to completely cover the floor underneath and protect it entirely.
As a huge bonus, these mats are great at absorbing the noise generated by the machine whenever it’s in use. Also, it’ll keep the treadmill from possibly sliding around (Source).
To start things off, we’ll first show you all the products along their most important features. Then, we’ll move on to examine each one individually.
Best Treadmill Mats 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Treadmill Mats 2019
- 2 1. SuperMats Heavy Duty Equipment Mat – Best Overall
- 3 2. Stamina Fold-to-Fit Folding Equipment Mat – Best Foldable Treadmill Mat
- 4 3. XtremepowerUS Treadmill Protective Mat – Best Treadmill Mat for Carpet
- 5 4. Gympak PVC Treadmill Equipment Mat – Best Mat To Reduce Noise
- 6 5. Velotas High Density Equipment & Treadmill Mat – Best Budget
- 7 Things You Should Consider Before Purchasing a Treadmill Mat
- 8 Our Final Take
|SuperMats Heavy Duty Equipment Mat|
|Stamina Fold-to-Fit Folding Equipment Mat|
|XtremepowerUS Treadmill Protective Mat|
|Gympak PVC Treadmill Equipment Mat|
|Velotas High Density Equipment & Treadmill Mat|
1. SuperMats Heavy Duty Equipment Mat – Best OverallThis super-tough mat offers a great and balanced mix of price, quality and performance. It does an amazing job at keeping your floors undamaged while also allowing your treadmill to stay in one place all the time.
It also has built-in cushions, which prolong the lifespan of your treadmill by preventing damage on its supports. These cushions create a power-absorbing surface that serves as a sort of mattress for the treadmill. It makes the mat particularly resistant to heavy equipment.
In fact, this mat can be used underneath any type of heavy workout equipment that you may have at home. It’s extremely effective and doesn’t cost a lot of money to purchase.
The one negative aspect of this mat is that it only comes in a single size. Regardless, given how big it is, it should fit underneath any treadmill that you have at home without any issue. Setting it up is very easy as well: all you need to do is lay it on the ground and watch it flatten on its own.
2. Stamina Fold-to-Fit Folding Equipment Mat – Best Foldable Treadmill MatThis easy-to-fold equipment mat is ideal to be used on any type of treadmill in the world. It also works with many other types of work-out equipment, such as weights and stationary bikes. It offers good protection to your floor thanks to its pebble-like surface, and it can be folder quite easily.
The mat has a large enough size and does a great job at absorbing sweat while working out. This treadmill mat is also very heavy, which means that it won’t move anywhere if you set it up properly underneath your equipment.
If you are one of those people with a need to store the mat often, this product might be ideal for you. You can easily fold it and store without it taking much space thanks to its foldable design. You can keep it under your bed or a couch – it won’t take any space whatsoever.
This mat is also very good at absorbing sound, just like the XtremePowerUS that we’ll review later. If your treadmill is too noisy, you might want to get this mat.
3. XtremepowerUS Treadmill Protective Mat – Best Treadmill Mat for CarpetThe XtremepowerUS treadmill mat does an amazing job at preventing your treadmill from slipping up and down on your floor. It doesn’t really matter the type of floor in which you place this mat, it should hold its own very strongly – even when the treadmill is operating at high speed.
The main characteristic that makes it great at preventing slips is the way in which its surface is made. The texture is far from smooth, and its raised features allow the treadmill to get a proper grip and stay in one place.
In any case, it can be effectively used on top of carpet. In fact, it might work even better there, considering that some floors might be irregular enough to cause certain parts of the mat to give in to pressure. This rarely happens, but keep in mind that rough floors might help shorten the product’s lifespan.
As an additional bonus, the mat absorbs a lot of the treadmill-generated noise. If you own a particularly noisy machine, this treadmill mat could do wonders for you.
4. Gympak PVC Treadmill Equipment Mat – Best Mat To Reduce NoiseThis Gympak product is designed to specifically combat and neutralize noise generated by your treadmill. It does this better than any other mat that we’ve reviewed today – and it’s possibly one of the best noise-cancelling treadmill mats on the market. It makes the echo go away by absorbing the noise in your room generated by the treadmill.
The mat is also very good at keeping your equipment in a single place. The only reason we’re not placing this product higher in our list is because it does have a potent odor which could be annoying at first. After using the mat for a few days, the solvent-like smell should go away, but you’ll have to tolerate it for a bit before that happens.
The mat is also very thick and heavy, which might not sound good at first… But it does mean that the mat is very resistant and can withstand a lot of use without tearing the fabric. You can even move it around and, if the shape has changed, it will return to normal after a few days.
It seems to be made of some sort of elastic rubber, which also helps with preventing the mat from breaking or tearing. It works extremely well on top of carpets or irregular floors.
5. Velotas High Density Equipment & Treadmill Mat – Best BudgetAlthough most of these mats are worth around the same amount of money, the Velotas Treadmill Mat is the one that offers the best value for money when it comes to versatility. It works with any type of workout equipment – including weights, treadmills and ellipticals.
This mat will protect your floor from any scratches and indentations that could be caused by your equipment to your floor.
As another one of its main features, this product comes in a variety of different sizes. You can choose whichever size works bets for your equipment and order it. Its price varies depending on the size as well.
Although storing this product doesn’t take little space like it happens with the Stamina Fold-To-Fit Mat, it still can be rolled and easily put away without becoming a huge nuisance around your house.
This treadmill mat isn’t as resistant as other mats. Keep that in mind if your treadmill is too heavy or if you want to use it with other pieces of heavy duty equipment. It won’t resist as much as other products that we’ve reviewed today.
Things You Should Consider Before Purchasing a Treadmill Mat
Most of these treadmill mats are designed to work with many different types of workout equipment. If you own a home gym, you might want to consider purchasing a couple of these mats to protect your floor from unintended damage.
In any case, there are certain features that some buyers might want to consider before purchasing the best treadmill mat.
Keep in mind that some of these mats work better with certain types of floor, so be sure to thoroughly analyze this before buying a mat. We’ve broken down the details of each product – just be sure to select the one that better suits your needs!
Type of Floor
The first thing you’ll want to know before purchasing a treadmill mat is how effective it will be in relation to your type of floor. Some mats are made to work better with carpets, while others do a better job with wooden floors.
We’ve given you specific guidelines with each of our product reviews – make sure to choose the right type of mat.
Certain mats are unable to resist regular use of a treadmill or any workout equipment. This renders them unusable shortly after being purchased, which means you’ll need to get a replacement very soon. Make sure that whichever treadmill mat you buy offers solid resistance and has a relatively long lifespan.
Having a treadmill mat capable of absorbing the noise generated by your equipment is also one of the most popular reasons as to why people buy these mats.
Most of the treadmill mats that we’ve shown you today can reduce the amount of noise produced by your equipment. We’ve also shown you which is the best noise-cancelling mat according to our research.
If you want to buy a mat solely based on how capable it is to absorb noise, you might want to look at the Gympak PVC Treadmill Equipment Mat.
High-quality mats can keep your treadmill in one place, even if you’re using it at its highest speed. This is often determined by the quality of the fabric with which they are made.
Rubber, PVC and other rubber-like materials tend to be the most effective at achieving such feat, so we encourage you to consider mats made from these materials.
The size of a treadmill mat should be big enough for your treadmill. All your treadmill’s legs should fit inside the mat. Measure your treadmill before purchasing a mat and compare its size to the one of the mats you want to buy.
Making sure that the mat entirely covers the treadmill will almost guarantee that your equipment will stay steady when you exercise.
Our Final Take
If you own a home gym and you don’t own a treadmill mat, you should be looking to purchase one as soon as you can. These mats help you keep your floor clean and free of scratches. They’re also not that costly – you’ll be able to easily afford them!
If you’ve kept in mind everything we’ve told you, you should know by now which treadmill mat suits you best. Remember that sometimes it’s worth paying a few extra bucks to get a hold of a product that will last you for a long time.
Which of these products do you find more appealing? Which features do you consider more important? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below!