Have you ever tried parking your RV on a site where the ground is uneven?
If you have, you already understand how difficult leveling and stabilizing the trailer can be on such sites. This is why most trailers and RV’s today come with in-built stabilization and leveling features.
If yours does not have such a system in place, you should invest in a trailer stabilizer. Basically, the right stabilization jack will mainly depend on the type of trailer you have.
Trailer jacks come in different weights and lengths, so you’ll have to note the jack’s length, but in its retracted and extended position (Source).
As you will learn later in this guide, you should consider such aspects as the type of frame on your trailer as well as the weight capacity, type and lift height of the stabilizer jack.
Best Trailer Stabilizer Jacks 2018
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Trailer Stabilizer Jacks 2018
- 2 1. REESE Towpower 74410 Trailer Jack – Best Overall
- 3 2. Pro Series 1000 Lbs Capacity Swivel Trailer Tongue Jack – The Best Bolt-On Swivel Trailer Jack
- 4 3. Jack Quick 3500 JQ-3500W 12V Electric Tongue Jack – The Best Electric Trailer Stabilizer Jack
- 5 4. Fulton XP10 0101 Swivel Trailer Tongue Jack – Most Lightweight
- 6 5. Trailer Valet 5X V211 Tongue Jack – Best Heavy-Duty RV Stabilizer Jack
- 7 Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Trailer Stabilizer Jack
- 8 Our Final Verdict
|REESE Towpower 74410 Trailer Jack|
|Pro Series 1000 Lbs Capacity Swivel Trailer Tongue Jack|
|Jack Quick 3500 JQ-3500W 12V Electric Tongue Jack|
|Fulton XP10 0101 Swivel Trailer Tongue Jack|
|Trailer Valet 5X V211 Tongue Jack|
1. REESE Towpower 74410 Trailer Jack – Best OverallHaving been in business since 1952, REESE has perfected its craftsmanship in production of some of the best trailer accessories available today. If you are looking for a reliable and versatile product by a renowned manufacture, the REESE Towpower 74410 Trailer Jack is a product of choice.
The product is designed to fit into almost any trailer tongue, ranging from the 3-inch to the 5-inch tongues. This being the case, the jack will be a great choice for almost any trailer weighing less than 1,000 pounds. With regards to performance, the Towpower 74410 applies a gear ratio of 1:1.
This alone makes the jack relatively easy and quick to operate. This product will also save you a considerable amount of time. This may be attributed to its wire-grip knob and side-winding handle features. Such features allow for a fast, easy and smooth usage of the jack on various ground conditions.
The jack features a heavy-duty swivel mechanism. As such, you will find it easy to safely store the jack when not using it. The pull-pin release access mechanism of the jack makes things even easier. The various features offered by this product are aimed at giving you a fast, reliable and durable trailer support.
2. Pro Series 1000 Lbs Capacity Swivel Trailer Tongue Jack – The Best Bolt-On Swivel Trailer JackAre you are looking for the best trailer stabilizer jack for light to medium duty applications? Then the Pro Series 1000 lbs Swivel Trailer jack is one of the best choices out there. Being a light to medium duty jack, it may be used with utility as well as marine trailers.
Most users love this product for its ease of use, durability and affordability. For enhanced maneuverability of your trailer, the jack is equipped with a 6-inch poly wheel that can swivel 360 degrees. The 1000-pound capacity jack is zinc coated, hence is resistant to corrosion.
3. Jack Quick 3500 JQ-3500W 12V Electric Tongue Jack – The Best Electric Trailer Stabilizer JackHooking up your trailer at night just got easier. The Jack Quick 3500 JQ-3500W Jack features a LED working light for this kind of scenario. The product is essentially designed to support trailers as heavy as 3650 pounds. In addition to its relatively high weight capacity, this product is packed with all the features you would need in s trailer jack.
The 2.25-inch diameter outpost fitted onto this product is compatible with all 2.25 inch, A-frames. Additionally, the jack features an 18-inch of travel. This makes it easier for you to attach equalizing bars whenever the need arises. With regards to durability, this product features a sturdy construction and is made of quality materials.
In addition to the water resistant electrical components used on the jack, the gears are made of hardened steel. This is further enhanced by the inclusion of a protective vinyl cover. Being an electric trailer jack, you will find this product easy to use. In this regard, you only need to connect it to a 12 V power source to automatically raise or lower the trailer.
4. Fulton XP10 0101 Swivel Trailer Tongue Jack – Most LightweightIf you are looking for a compact and lightweight design in your new trailer jack, this is definitely a product of choice. Weighing 6.4 pounds, the Fulton XP10 0101 Trailer Jack is meant for use in either utility or marine trailers. With a proven performance and enhanced durability, this product will give you a good value on money.
With regards to durability, the jack features superior Z-MAX 600 corrosion protection plating. Again, the swivel mount used on this product applies heavy-gauge, 3-D formed steel stampings. This, along with the proprietary bushing material used to make the product, makes it a high-quality jack. No wonder the manufacturer offers a 5-year warranty on this product.
5. Trailer Valet 5X V211 Tongue Jack – Best Heavy-Duty RV Stabilizer JackIf you are shopping for a new trailer jack, you should go for the product that makes it easy for you to move and stabilize the trailer. In this regard, Trailer Valet 5X V211 Tongue Jack is designed to save you time while pitching. Being a heavy duty product, this jack is designed to lift and move huge loads and still offer a decent durability.
With this stabilizer jack at your disposal, you can move trailers as heavy as 5000 pounds. In other words, the product can support up to 500 pounds of tongue weight. You will find the chain drive crank system used on this product very helpful when propelling a boat or moving the trailer up an incline.
Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Trailer Stabilizer Jack
While some of the modern travel trailers and fifth wheels come with relatively sophisticated leveling and stabilizer systems, not all trailers come with one. As you may be aware, leveling is important for the normal functioning of some of the features in your trailer. This is particularly the case with RVs.
Without the leveling and stabilization needed, your RV will not only be uncomfortable, it may also pose a safety hazard for its occupants. This being the case, it is important for you to carry the right leveling stabilizer jack with you whenever you tow the trailer.
Whether you are buying a trailer jack for the very first time or are replacing a malfunctioning one, the choice can be a daunting task. This may be attributed to the fact that there are numerous products to choose from in the market.
If you are shopping for the best stabilizer jack, here are some of the considerations you need to make:
1. Lifting Capacity
You probably are aware that not all jacks are built the same. Just as it the case with car jacks, trailer stabilizer jacks have different weight lifting capabilities. Basically, you need to ensure that your preferred model is capable of supporting your trailer weight.
In this regard, you need to know how heavy your trailer is. You should then check the weight lifting capacity of your preferred jack on its product specification. For safety purposes, it is advisable to go for jacks that can safely support the weight.
In most cases, you will not need to lift the entire trailer with the stabilizer jack. As such, you do not have to buy a product with a very large lifting capacity. As a rule of the thumb, the lifting capacity of your preferred product should be at least half the weight of the trailer or RV.
2. Lifting Speed
How fast can your preferred leveling jack accomplish the task? You do not want to waste hours of your valuable time trying to level and stabilize your RV, right? Therefore, you should go for the RV stabilizer jack that works fast. Additionally, you may need to opt for the model that requires minimal tweaking for it to achieve the objective.
3. Intended Application
How will you be using the jack? Do you need one that can lift the trailer while replacing the tires or just stabilizing the trailer? Well, you need to go for a product that is best suited for the intended application. For enhanced versatility, it is advisable to go for a model that can do both. This way, you will not need to buy multiple jacks for your trailer.
4. Clearance Height and Lifting Height
The clearance height and lifting height are different aspects that you need to consider while shopping for the best stabilizer jack. The clearance height is the height of the jack in its lowest position. It will be pointless to buy a jack that cannot fit under the trailer while in its lowest position.
As such, it is advisable that you buy a jack that can fit below the trailer or RV with ease. In this regard, you need to consider the ground clearance of your trailer as well as the height of your preferred jack.
As a guide, the height of the jack, in its lowest position, should be less than the ground clearance of the trailer. This is particularly necessary if the jack is to be attached beneath the trailer.
The lifting height, on the other hand, is how high the jack can lift the trailer from the ground. For stabilization purpose, you may not need to lift your RV too high. However, you will need a considerable amount of clearance beneath the trailer, if you are lifting it for maintenance.
The lifting height of stabilizer jacks varies from one product to another. However, the right product should offer a lifting height of between 18 and 20 inches.
What is your preferred RV jack made of? This is another aspect you need to worry about, if you are to buy a strong and durable stabilizer jack. Most of the leading RV stabilizer jacks available today are made of aluminum and steel.
If you are looking for an affordable option, you should go for jacks made of steel. Steel leveling jacks are comparatively affordable and will give you a decent performance. The best high end products in the industry are made of aluminum. As compared to steel jacks, aluminum jacks are known to offer a stellar performance.
Our Final Verdict
Most trailers come equipped with leveling and stabilizing equipment. However, with time such equipment may get damaged with time.
Whether you are buying a trailer jack for the very first time or are just buying a replacement jack, you need to buy the right one.
In this regard, you need to consider the type of frame and tongue on your trailer as well as weight capacity and clearance of the jack.
Regardless of your individual preferences, this guide will help you make an informed trailer stabilizer jack choice.