Are you looking forward to having one of the lush green lawns in your neighborhood?
You need to realize that this takes some effort and money investment. For instance, you need to ensure that your lawn is well seeded and fertilized.
While this is the case, seeding and fertilizer application on lawns is rather inefficient when done by hands. In this regard, you will need specialized equipment, such as a tow behind spreader.
With the right tow behind spreader, you will make fertilizer application and seeding faster and more efficient on your lawn or garden. So, what makes a good spreader?
Comparing The Best Tow Behind Spreaders
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Best Tow Behind Spreaders
- 2 1. Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader – Best Overall
- 3 2. Brinly BS36BH Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader – Best High Capacity Tow Behind Spreader
- 4 3. Agri-Fab 45-0288 175-Pound Max Tow behind Drop Spreader – The Best Drop Tow-Behind Spreader
- 5 4. Precision Products TBS6000RDOS 6-Series Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader – Best Tow-Behind Spreader Below $200
- 6 5. Earthway Commercial 100-Pound Tow Behind Spreader 2170T – The Best Commercial Tow Behind Spreader
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Choosing a Tow Behind Spreader
- 8 Ready To Buy The Best Tow Behind Spreader?
|Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader|
|Brinly BS36BH Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader|
|Agri-Fab 45-0288 175-Pound Max Tow behind Drop Spreader|
|Precision Products TBS6000RDOS 6-Series Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader|
|Earthway Commercial 100-Pound Tow Behind Spreader 2170T|
1. Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader – Best OverallJust like the other renowned products by the Agri-Fab manufacturer, the 45-0463 130-pound units is designed to give you the best spread possible for enhanced root strength, color and growth on your lawn. This tow behind spreader is particularly ideal for larger lawns and gardens, up to 25, 000 square feet.
In this regard, it features a wide hopper, allowing it to cover a larger area at once. The unit has a capacity of 130 lbs, which ensures that you do not have to refill the hopper every once in a while. The relatively large pneumatic tires fitted onto this unit make it easier to maneuver whenever you are spreading manure of seeds on your lawn. Being one of the best commercial spreaders available today, this unit is packed with an array of useful features.
The 45-0463 is a broadcast spreader that features a wide spread width. In this regard, it can easily cover a width of up to 10 feet. This ensures that you cover the target area faster and more effectively. For enhanced durability, the gearbox on this spreader features aluminum beveled gears.
2. Brinly BS36BH Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader – Best High Capacity Tow Behind SpreaderThis is another product that is meant for homeowners looking forward to spreading various things on large tracts. In this regard, the Brinly’s BS-36BH tow-behind spreader features a high-capacity, 170 lb hopper. This allows you to cover up to an acre without having to refill whatever it is that you are spreading.
Again, this unit is considered to be one of the best universal tow-behind spreaders available today. This may be attributed to its universal tow behind hitch. The hitch on this piece of equipment is designed to fit on most lawn tractors available today. If you are looking for a spreader that is really versatile, this is a great choice. In this regard, you may use this product to spread fertilizer and grass seeds.
Come winter, you may also use this spreader to apply an array of ice melting agents, such as salt and sand. The fact that it is a tow-behind model makes things even easier; you only need to attach it to a lawn tractor and get working. The unit applies Patented Directional Spread pattern in its functioning. As such, it is able to offer a more uniform spread for all materials it is used on.
3. Agri-Fab 45-0288 175-Pound Max Tow behind Drop Spreader – The Best Drop Tow-Behind SpreaderWhy would anyone choose a drop spreader over a broadcaster model? As you may be aware, the best drop tow-behind spreaders today are renowned for their precision and uniform spreading performance. It is this uniform and consistent distribution of materials that make such products ideal for seeding yards and application of granular herbicides. The Agri-Fab 45-0288 is one of the best units, in this regard.
This tow-behind spreader delivers impressive results because it limits placement of materials to between its wheels. As such, it is a great tool for use in lawns or gardens that have shrubs and other obstacles. As such, the spreader allows you to limit the spreading to only the required area. This is not the case with the various broadcast spreaders available today.
Again, this product features a decent capacity. The 175 lb hopper used in this unit will give you peace of mind, allowing you to cover up to 40,000 sq. ft. for enhanced durability, the agitator on this unit is made of galvanized steel. This not only make sit resistant to rust, but also easier to clean.
4. Precision Products TBS6000RDOS 6-Series Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader – Best Tow-Behind Spreader Below $200While being towing behind almost any tractor, this product lives up to its name. The TBS6000RDOS 6-Series has been rated the best by a considerable number of users across the globe, with regards to fast and precise spreading of different materials. To allow the product to fit into almost any tractor hitch, the manufacturer uses a universal hitch on the TBS6000RDOS 6-Series Tow behind Broadcast Spreader. The unit is fitted with a relatively high-capacity hopper as well. The 130 pounds will allow you to cover a larger area at a spreading width of 10 to 12 feet.
You will also love the rugged design of this product, which makes it visually appealing and tough enough to withstand harsh conditions. You will find the fingertip controls on this unit easy to reach while seated on the tractor. For enhanced durability, the tube frame used on this spreader features a 1-inch powder coating.
5. Earthway Commercial 100-Pound Tow Behind Spreader 2170T – The Best Commercial Tow Behind SpreaderGet yourself a commercial spreader that was designed to offer you unmatched durability. To begin with, the product has a stainless steel axle, gears that are entirely enclosed and twin brushing bearings. These are some of the components that will offer you exceptional durability on this spreader.
The 100-pound hopper fitted onto this product features a screen that will break up clumps in seeds or fertilizers you are spreading. This ensures that you get uniform spreading with your Earthway Commercial 100-Pound Tow Behind Spreader 2170T. for enhanced maneuverability, the unit is fitted with treaded pneumatic tires.
Things You Must Know Before Choosing a Tow Behind Spreader
With so many makes and models of spreaders in the market today, choosing the right one can be a daunting task.
Rather than going for the most affordable options, you need to ensure that you have bought one that is suitable for the intended application. Basically, there are some spreader models that are best suited for use in small lawns and others meant for use in large gardens.
Prior to choosing a spreader, it is advisable to think of why you would need one. While tow-behind spreaders are known to be some of the fastest, not all of them will be a right fit.
If you are shopping for the best tow behind spreader, here are some of the considerations you need to make:
1. Type of Tow Behind Spreader
Spreaders are comparatively simple equipments, but you just have to buy the right type of tow behind spreader to get the job done perfectly. Currently, there are two main types of tow behind lawn fertilizer spreaders, as explained below:
- Drop Spreaders
These are some of the commonest types of tow behind spreaders today. So, when are drop spreaders the right choice? If you have trees and shrubs in your garden or lawn, these will be a great choice. Again, these spreaders will also be a great choice for plaiting grass in between your walkways and flower beds.
A considerable number of homeowners today love this type of spreaders because they offer a uniform spread. However, these units can only spread the fertilizer or seeds as wide as their hopper can cover. In this regard, it is highly advisable that you choose the appropriate hopper width, if this is your preferred spreader type.
Another desirable aspect of these spreaders is that their functioning is not influenced by wind. Since these spreaders can only cover the width of the hopper, they are best suited for smaller spaces. Most of the leading experts recommend the use of drop tow behind spreaders for lawns less than 5,000 square feet.
- Broadcast spreaders
Looking forward to covering a larger space at once with your spreader? If so, you need to go for the bets broadcast tow behind spreaders in the market. Also referred to as rotary spreaders, these units are designed to scatter the seeds or fertilizer being spread as far as 8 feet away from the spreader.
However, these spreaders do not offer a uniform spread as the drop spreaders do. In most cases, most of the fertilizer or seeds will get a thicker spread while the areas further away from the spreader get less seeds or fertilizer.
To get a more uniform coverage with such spreaders, you should move them at a steady pace. Again, the performance of these units is affected by wind. As such, you will need a certain level of skills to operate them effectively.
2. Tow Behind Spreader Capacity
What is the weight capacity of the hopper and frame on your preferred tow behind spreader? For relatively small lawns or gardens, you will not need a large capacity. If you will be using your unit is a comparatively large garden, you may need to get a spreader with a larger capacity. As such, you can cover more space without having to refill the hopper.
What you need to note here is that the weight capacity rating on these units refers to the actual weight the hopper and frame can safely take and not the volume. As such, you will not be able to fit 100 lbs of grass seeds into a 100 lbs spreader.
3. Spreader Materials
If you are working on a limited budget, your choice, in this regard may be very limited. Most of the affordable tow behind-spreaders today feature a lot of plastic components. This is not good for the durability of the entire unit. For enhanced durability, it is advisable to buy spreaders made of stainless steel. Such units are also great at withstanding harsh terrain conditions. Powdered coating is something you should also consider while choosing for the best tow behind spreader.
Ready To Buy The Best Tow Behind Spreader?
Seed and fertilizer spreaders are relatively expensive pieces of equipment. This is particularly the case with the best tow behind spreaders.
However, these units will make seeding and fertilizer application around your lawn or garden a lot easier. Some of the most versatile units may also be used to spread ice melting agents in winter.
Are you are looking for durability, affordability, uniform spreading performance or just ease of use in your new spreader?
Well, this guide will help you choose the best tow behind spreader available today.