Toothbrush sanitizers help keep our toothbrushes germ-free so you limit your exposure to harmful bacteria.
We know we need to take care of our teeth, but we often don’t pay a lot of attention to our toothbrushes.
It may seem like a small thing, but toothbrushes can be a breeding ground for germs (Source) including E. coli and staphylococci (staph).
Toothbrush sanitizers help fight bacteria using ultraviolet light that kills most of the germs. All you need to do is remember to put your toothbrush into the sanitizer after you’ve used it.
There are different types of toothbrush sanitizers — some designed for the counter in your bathroom, some designed for multiple toothbrushes, and others designed so you can take them with you when you travel.
Are your gums receding? If your answer is yes, the problem could be traced to simply with your brushing technique. To address this problem, you should consider buying an electric toothbrush for receding gums to solve your problem.
What is a Toothbrush Sanitizer?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Toothbrush Sanitizer?
- 2 Why Should I Use Toothbrush Sanitizers?
- 3 Comparing The Best Toothbrush Sanitizers
- 4 1. Philips Sonicare UV Sanitizer – Best Overall
- 5 2. EJiasu Travel Toothbrush sanitizer – Best Travel Toothbrush Sanitizer
- 6 3. Linsam UV Toothbrush Holder – For the Whole Family
- 7 4. Seasky Deep UV Toothbrush Sanitizer – Best Budget Toothbrush Sanitizer
- 8 5. Violife Zapi Luxe UV – Best Toothbrush Sanitizer for Kids
- 9 How Often Should I Change My Toothbrush?
- 10 Mains Powered vs Battery-Powered Sanitizer: Which is Better?
- 11 How to Know if the Lamp in My Sanitizer is Working and Can I Replace It?
- 12 Things to Consider While Buying a Toothbrush Sanitizer
- 13 Ready To Buy The Best Toothbrush Sanitizer?
A toothbrush sanitizer is a device that kills germs and bacteria using ultraviolet light. The UV light can destroy the nucleic acids bonds that form DNA. This damage or disruption of the DNA hinders bacteria from reproducing through cell division.
From small solutions that can be carried in a garment pocket to big countertop units, sanitizers come in different sizes and shapes. Some toothbrush sanitizers are designed for the entire family (i.e. for a few toothbrushes), while others are highly portable and perfect for travelers.
If you have braces on your teeth, you must be worried about the buildup of plaque and food debris on the braces. So you need to invest in the right water flosser for braces as it offers the right pressure and has the right tip to clean in between your teeth and the braces.
Why Should I Use Toothbrush Sanitizers?
Most people use a transparent cap or plastic case for their toothbrushes. While this is a convenient way of storing toothbrushes, it is not hygienic. This will prevent your brush from drying properly, which increases the risk for bacteria and other pathogenic microorganisms.
Instead, consider using toothbrush sanitizers to:
- Kill harmful microorganisms on your toothbrush: Your toothbrush can be a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses. That’s because intense humidity and heat in the bathroom create ideal conditions for bacterial growth. The UV light is proven to kill bacteria and microbes.
- Get rid of an unpleasant odor and dirt: Toothbrush sanitizers can keep your toothbrush clean and odor-free. As a result, you will have peace of mind knowing that you’re brushing your teeth with a perfectly clean toothbrush.
- Improve your oral health: A dirty toothbrush can cause cavities by spreading bacteria in your mouth rather than killing them. Toothbrush sanitizers can keep your teeth and gums healthy by eliminating bacteria from your toothbrush.
Here are five top-rated toothbrush sanitizers.
Comparing The Best Toothbrush Sanitizers
|Philips Sonicare UV Sanitizer|
|EJiasu Travel Toothbrush sanitizer|
|Linsam UV Toothbrush Holder|
|Seasky Deep UV Toothbrush Sanitizer|
|Violife Zapi Luxe UV|
1. Philips Sonicare UV Sanitizer – Best OverallPhillips has been making amazing electronic products for a very long time, so we were really excited to test the Philips Sonicare UV Sanitizer. Thankfully, it delivered on all fronts and became our number one pick for the best toothbrush sanitizers list.
This unit is capable of holding and cleaning two brush heads at a time. Hence, this is perfect for couples. Likewise, it can handle normal wear and tear with ease and looks sleek and sophisticated enough to fit in standard washrooms.
Additionally, it is also designed to be quickly used and comes with the latest technology. Philips claims that the Philips Sonicare UV Sanitizer is capable of eliminating 99.9% germs on your toothbrush. This means you’ll be kept safe from cold and cough as well.
Alongside that, this sanitizer can accommodate almost every toothbrush head. Furthermore, it boasts an automatic “turn off” feature after 10 minutes and a reflector that can spread the light evenly for even greater performance.
Finally, all you have to do is press the button placed on the top of the unit to effortlessly sanitize your toothbrush.
2. EJiasu Travel Toothbrush sanitizer – Best Travel Toothbrush SanitizerThe eJiasu Travel Toothbrush Sanitizer is very affordable and available in two different colors. It is basically a compact jewel case that you can use to store any toothbrush, be it an electric one or a normal one.
Alongside that, it uses good quality anti-odor materials and is sturdily made, so you don’t have to worry about damaging it during your travels. It can also kill bacteria and prevent any kind of infectious diseases, cavities, and gum diseases.
There are ultraviolet light bulbs inside the case that do most of the heavy lifting, which are extremely efficient and won’t need any replacement for a very long time. In fact, the company says it will last you as long as the case remains intact.
Additionally, we like how the eJiasu Travel Toothbrush sanitizer automatically turns on when the toothbrush is placed inside. There are no buttons to turn it on.
3. Linsam UV Toothbrush Holder – For the Whole FamilyIf you have a bigger family, then getting separate toothbrush sanitizers for everyone doesn’t make much sense. Thankfully, you don’t have to invest in multiple toothbrush sanitizers: the FDA-approved Linsam UV Toothbrush Holder provides that for you.
It is especially great if you have kids at home because germs can be more harmful to them. It is made of sturdy materials and won’t break during usage, which makes it perfect for kids alongside adult family members.
We also like how there are separate holders; you can easily put five brushes in it. Consequently, the cleaning process starts as soon as you close the lid, so you don’t have to actually press any buttons. It can be mounted on a wall, too.
Therefore, if you have a big family, this sanitizer is the best option available. It is easy to use, made out of anti-bacterial materials, and works automatically so your kids don’t have to fiddle around with anything.
4. Seasky Deep UV Toothbrush Sanitizer – Best Budget Toothbrush SanitizerThe Seasky Deep UV Toothbrush Sanitizer is a portable sanitizer that you can take anywhere without much problem. It looks wonderfully sleek and stylish and allows you to sanitize your toothbrush with relative ease.
Notably, it is also small enough to be carried around in a purse or pocket without adding any bulk. So, if you are traveling and need a toothbrush sanitizer to go along, this is one of the best options available. On the other hand, it can easily be mounted on a wall in your bathroom as well.
It opens up to reveal a simple toothbrush holder. To use it, simply place the toothbrush inside and the whole process would only take around three minutes. The UV light will destroy the DNA structure found in bodies of bacteria.
Finally, we like how you can quickly charge the Seasky Deep UV Toothbrush Sanitizer via USB. The UV light can also work for 12,000 hours, which is more than enough for common users. In addition to that, this product comes at a very reasonable price.
Besides brushing your teeth, mouthwash is a great addition to your day to day dental regime. A considerable number of people today shy off from using mouthwash solutions because of the tingling sensation they produce in the mouth. Check this great article on why does mouthwash burns?
5. Violife Zapi Luxe UV – Best Toothbrush Sanitizer for KidsThe Violife Zapi Luxe UV toothbrush sanitizer is specially made for kids. The product itself has a ninja design. Aside from that, it is also very easy to use.
All you need to do is insert your toothbrush into the unit and let it do its job. Ultraviolet light will sanitize the toothbrush in only six minutes. Additionally, it shuts down automatically when the sanitizing is completed.
Notably, this sanitizer can be used with any toothbrush, be it electric or manual. We also had no trouble using the smaller kid’s toothbrushes.
Alongside that, it is remarkably easy to clean with its removable drip tray. Likewise, you can simply wipe it from the inside as well. However, you’ll need three AA batteries to power the Violife Zapi Luxe UV.
How Often Should I Change My Toothbrush?
Replace your toothbrush every three months. This will help you maintain good oral hygiene. People who suffer from oral infection should do it more often.
Toothbrush sanitizers can’t prolong the life of your toothbrush. They kill bacteria without impacting the wear on bristles by any means.
Damaged, split or frayed bristles are a consequence of tooth positioning, pressure, and brushing technique. This is damaging to both the gums and teeth, which is why you need to change your toothbrush regularly.
Mains Powered vs Battery-Powered Sanitizer: Which is Better?
- Mains powered sanitizers: They are powered from mains electricity and easier to maintain, as it’s not necessary to replace batteries continually. These devices tend to run for a bit longer. Mains powered sanitizers are large, so they can accommodate multiple toothbrushes at a time.
- Battery-powered sanitizers: Units with batteries are more versatile and portable. However, you will have to replace batteries regularly. They are usually designed for one or two toothbrushes.
How to Know if the Lamp in My Sanitizer is Working and Can I Replace It?
Some toothbrush sanitizers come with a light indicator. Otherwise, you will be able to see the lamp through the transparent body of your sanitizer.
The lamps can work from 5,000 to 7,000 hours on average. If the lamp has stopped working, you should open the lid and check the battery charge. So, can I replace it?
It depends on your toothbrush sanitizer. Most cheap and portable sanitizers don’t have a replaceable lamp. This is why you should choose a toothbrush sanitizer with a replaceable bulb.
Things to Consider While Buying a Toothbrush Sanitizer
There are not a lot of factors that you need to consider while purchasing a toothbrush sanitizer.
However, it is better to go in prepared to get the best product for your personal needs. Here are a few minor things you should keep in mind while shopping for a toothbrush sanitizer:
Some toothbrush sanitizers only sanitize one toothbrush at a time. If you are a single person, that is the perfect one for you. However, if you have multiple people in your household, you need to invest in a toothbrush sanitizer that can accommodate more brushes at the same time.
If you travel a lot, investing in a portable toothbrush sanitizer makes a lot of sense. However, if you simply need a toothbrush sanitizer at home, it makes financial sense to invest in a wall-mounted one.
Most toothbrush sanitizers come with a built-in battery or run on standard batteries. So, if you’re traveling, you may want to keep an eye on how long the sanitizer works before running out of juice. It’s not a big deal if you have one at home, but during travels, it is important to take note of this.
Ready To Buy The Best Toothbrush Sanitizer?
These are some of the best toothbrush sanitizers to stay healthy and germ-free. We hope that you found the perfect match for your needs on this list.
We included different types of toothbrush sanitizers so that there are a lot of options available for you to choose from because toothbrush sanitizers are almost essential in this day and age.
Do you want to cut your hair on the sides and at the back in such a way that it becomes shorter as you get close to the neck? Consider buying top-rated hair clippers for fades. This gives you a bald appearance at the back of your head and along the sides.
If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, feel free to talk to us in the comments. We always love to hear from you.