You might be an avid tennis player who is trying to find ways to take your game to the next level. You might also be a beginner looking to improve your skills. While you can always hire a trainer, that might prove expensive plus a trainer cannot be with you 24/7.
Hence, the next best alternative is a tennis ball machine. Tennis ball machines have helped professional tennis players improve their game by a wide margin. In addition, you can practice for as long as you want (Source).
At whatever level of skill, tennis ball machines have more pros than cons. With that in mind, here is a review of the top rated tennis ball machines.
Best Tennis Ball Machines 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Tennis Ball Machines 2019
- 2 1. Spinshot-Player Tennis Ball Machine with Phone Remote Supported — Best Midrange Tennis Ball Machine
- 3 2. Lobster Sports Elite Grand Five Tennis Ball Machine — The Best High-End Tennis Ball Machine
- 4 3. Match Mate Rookie by Match Mate Tennis Ball Machine — Best Inexpensive
- 5 4. Lobster Sports Elite Liberty Tennis Ball Machine — The Best Tennis Ball Machine under $1000
- 6 5. Isam Value Tennis Ball Machine — Most Versatile Tennis Ball Machine
- 7 What to Consider Before Purchasing a Tennis Ball Machine
- 8 Our Final Take
|Spinshot-Player Tennis Ball Machine with Phone Remote Supported|
|Lobster Sports Elite Grand Five Tennis Ball Machine|
|Match Mate Rookie by Match Mate Tennis Ball Machine|
|Lobster Sports Elite Liberty Tennis Ball Machine|
|Isam Value Tennis Ball Machine|
1. Spinshot-Player Tennis Ball Machine with Phone Remote Supported — Best Midrange Tennis Ball MachineThe Spinshot-player is the most advanced battery-operated and portable tennis ball machine. It allows you to program the height, direction, spin, and speed of each sequential shot. These programmed settings can then be saved.
Notably, you can always keep tweaking the personalized drill with time to increase complexity and improve your skills. Additionally, you can combine vertical oscillation with horizontal oscillation or pretty much any oscillation mode you want to play with for advanced practice routines as well.
However, this unit is ideal for both beginners and tennis pros; it has an easy to understand and easy to use user interface. As a result, even the youngest players can operate it.
Furthermore, this machine allows you to program its settings using your phone and then save them remotely. Thus, all you have to do is press the drill-x button when you use it next.
Lastly, it is also very compact and lightweight: Its dimensions are 50cm in height, 45cm in length, 30cm in width, and 19 kilograms in weight. On the other hand, you would have to separately purchase its 12V and 12Amp battery alongside an eSmart battery charger.
2. Lobster Sports Elite Grand Five Tennis Ball Machine — The Best High-End Tennis Ball MachineLobster Sports is a brand that has been manufacturing ball machines since 1971. This particular model has 8-inch all-terrain wheels that make it portable and pullable or pushable over any surface.
Additionally, it also boasts a folding handle and inverting hopper and can fit in both the trunk and the car seat. Likewise, it essential to also realize that when folded up, the machine only measures 29x21x15.5 inches.
Now, regarding functionality, this unit comes preloaded with drills that tennis pros have helped develop. However, you can also customize then save your practices according to your preferences.
Besides that, this machine offers an expanded oscillation function complete with three positional settings: narrow, medium, and wide. These oscillations sharpen both your forehand and backhand groundstrokes alongside your footwork.
Lastly, included in the package is a fast charger that reduces the charging time by 3-6 hours. Although the unit does not come with the remote, you can use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod as a remote control. Alternatively, assuming you lack an Apple device, you can purchase the remote separately.
3. Match Mate Rookie by Match Mate Tennis Ball Machine — Best InexpensiveThe Match Matte Rookie is an inexpensive unit that provides all the functionality needed to improve your game. Hence, it is the best tennis ball machine for beginners.
Its main feature is a 10-second ball feed delay option on startup that allows one to get into position. Next to that is its triple threat elevation and ball speed of 10mph to 27mph. The speed range helps in gradual skill and defense development.
Additionally, the Rookie weighs only 22 pounds with its aluminum outer shell, urethane pitching wheel, and either aluminum or steel internal components.
Moreover, it boasts user-friendly controls with soft toss at its low speed option to make it suitable for children. It is also easy to set-up because all you need to do is position it on the tennis court and turn it on.
Finally, the unit meets all the US Safety Standards and has a heavy-duty battery complete with a 5-hour battery life.
4. Lobster Sports Elite Liberty Tennis Ball Machine — The Best Tennis Ball Machine under $1000Most tennis ball machines that can cater to both professionals and intermediate players usually cost more than $1000. However, with the Lobster Sports Elite, you get all the advanced features but at an affordable price.
To start, this specific model is easy to move around. Second, it has 8-inch all-terrain wheels and folding handle and the inverting hopper alongside 29” by 21” by 15.5” dimensions when all folded up.
Third, it boasts a spin control feature that you can adjust for both topspin and backspin at different levels. Likewise, it offers manual oscillation and ball speeds of 20mph to 70mph alongside an elevation of 0 to 50 degrees to facilitate versatility.
Meanwhile, the unit itself is simply 35 pounds. Its battery is small and lightweight, too, yet able to last up to four hours when fully charged. Consequently, it comes with a fast charger that reduces the charging time by 3-6 hours.
Finally, you can purchase accessories separately if you wish. An external battery pack that extends playing time by four to eight hours and an external AC power source that converts your machine to AC for unlimited runtime are optional.
5. Isam Value Tennis Ball Machine — Most Versatile Tennis Ball MachineThe versatility of this unit arises from the fact that it has three power options. The three power configurations available are electric (AC), battery, or both.
This unit has a maximum spin option. However, it does not offer control over it. On the other hand, it is still random enough to offer complex drills that ensure you improve your skills.
Additionally, this machine weighs only 29 pounds or 25 pounds for its electric option. That makes it lightweight enough to facilitate easy movement and easy transport.
Moreover, its speed range is 15mph to 70mph. The low-speed option is great for beginners while the high-speed option can cater to semi-pros and intermediate players. It also has an incredible ball capacity of 250 tennis balls with a feed rate is 2 to7 balls per second.
What to Consider Before Purchasing a Tennis Ball Machine
The prices of tennis ball machines vary greatly from under $1000 to over $3000. The price should factor into your buying decision because higher cost usually means better machine quality.
While you can still find a high-quality machine at an affordable price, it might take some time. So, consider price carefully and go for a unit that tallies with your budget but still provides value for your money.
When you are using a tennis ball machine, you have to move it repeatedly either on or off the court. Hence, it essential to purchase a portable unit. Always look for a machine with a sturdy handle and built-in wheels.
Random Shot Selection
If you are a tennis enthusiast, then you know no opponent hits the same every time. Therefore, your tennis ball machine shouldn’t do so either. You need a machine that has as many random shot selections as possible. That way, you will improve your overall game.
One of the hardest tennis shots to return is one that is spinning as it comes to you. Practicing over and over again is the only way to get good at these tricky shots. Thus, your tennis ball machine should be able to serve you balls with a spin on them so you can master them.
Our Final Take
This guide has enumerated the best tennis ball machines for players with varying skill levels. Now, all you need to do is take the considerations into account. Then, you will be ready to pick the machine that tallies with your skill level.