Now that it is time to replace your keyboard, you will realize that the choice is not as easy as you first anticipated.
If you do not need to input a lot of numerical values from time to time, the best tenkeyless mechanical keyboard (TKL) will be a great investment. Unlike conventional keyboards, TKL keyboards do not have a dedicated numerical keypad to the right.
In addition to being sleek and trendy, these products are comparatively smaller in size. As such, they will save you a considerable amount of space on the desk.
Owing to their compact and sleek design, such keyboards are also known to be very portable. Depending on your particular needs, you will realize that TKL keyboards have an array of features to offer (Source).
While this is the case, choosing the right TKL mechanical keyboard from the hundreds of models in the market is not easy. In this regard, you have to consider several aspects, as discussed later in this guide.
If you are shopping for the right one, here are reviews of five top rated TKL mechanical keyboards available today.
Best Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboards 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboards 2019
- 2 1. Redragon K552 KUMARA LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard – Best Overall
- 3 2. CM Storm QuickFire TK – Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard – The Best Gaming TKL Mechanical Keyboard
- 4 3. Razer BlackWidow X Tournament Edition Chroma, Clicky RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard –
- 5 4. HyperX Alloy FPS Pro – Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard – The Most Affordable Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboard
- 6 5. CORSAIR K65 LUX RGB Compact Mechanical Keyboard –
- 7 Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Tenkeyless Keyboard
- 8 Our Final Verdict
|Redragon K552 KUMARA LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard|
|CM Storm QuickFire TK - Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard|
|Razer BlackWidow X Tournament Edition Chroma, Clicky RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard|
|HyperX Alloy FPS Pro - Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard|
|CORSAIR K65 LUX RGB Compact Mechanical Keyboard|
1. Redragon K552 KUMARA LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard – Best OverallAffordability, portability and functionality are what you will buy with the Redragon K552 KUMARA LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard.
With regards to design, this product is an 87-key, compact gaming keyboard. This space saving model has all the ergonomics you need for an exceptional gaming experience. For enhanced durability, the keyboard is made of ABS aircraft-grade aluminum.
The keys on this TKL keyboard are plate-molded with keycaps that are double shot injection molded. This makes for lasting and highly responsive mechanical switch keys. You will also love the bright and crisp RED LED backlighting on this product.
The backlighting feature on this keyboard is also adjustable. This allows you to customize the backlight to your preferences and in accordance to prevailing light conditions.
This keyboard is fitted with a high-speed USB cable connector. The connector is gold plated with a corrosion resistant layer for enhanced durability. The keyboard itself is capable of withstanding mild liquid spills.
2. CM Storm QuickFire TK – Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard – The Best Gaming TKL Mechanical KeyboardGet yourself a keyboard that is truly designed to offer you flexibility and portability. To begin with, the product features a compact, space-saving model. In order to save space and still deliver a superior performance, the product merges command and navigation keys. Additionally, the product features an integrated num pad block.
The cable management system on this product is among the features that set it apart from other TKL keyboards. In this regard, the product allows you to dethatch the braided USB connector along with the cable routing groves for enhanced flexibility. The manufacturer allows you to choose between 3 different mechanical switch types for this product. As such, you can choose a CM Storm Quickfire TK keyboard with Cherry MX blue, brown or Red keys.
What makes the product unique is the fact that you can individually program its backlight keys. Additionally, it offers dynamic lighting effects that are rather easy to set, through Razor Synapse.
4. HyperX Alloy FPS Pro – Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard – The Most Affordable Tenkeyless Mechanical KeyboardWould you rather have a quieter TKL mechanical keyboard? You should try out the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless mechanical keyboard. In this regard, the keyboard features Cherry MX Red switches, which are known to offer silent keystrokes. This product is specifically designed for FPS enthusiasts. In this regard, it offers everything you need in 87 keys.
The product is also lightweight, compact and very portable. With regards to construction, the TKL keyboard has a solid metal alloy frame. As such, it is one of the most durable gaming TKL keyboards you can buy today. The keyboard is fitted with the reliable and highly-responsive CHERRY MX mechanical key switches. For enhanced portability, the product features a detachable USB cable.
Like the other TKL mechanical keyboards on this guide, this product is also built for enhanced durability and portability. In this regard, it features a rugged, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame construction. For enlightened gaming experience, the product offers fluid and fast illumination as well as sophisticated macro programming.
Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Tenkeyless Keyboard
Do you have limited desktop space on your office table or are just looking forward to replacing your current keyboard with a modern and trendier one? Well, the solution for your problem lies with the best tenkeyless keyboards available today.
As mentioned earlier in this guide, TKL keyboards are sleeker in appearance and smaller in size. Such products are primarily designed to save on space and be comparatively more portable.
While such a keyboard would be a great upgrade for people using desktop computers, choosing one can be rather complicated. As you may have realized, there are hundreds of TKL keyboard makes and models available today.
So, which of them is best suited for your intended application? In order to make this decision, you should consider several aspects; some of which are discussed below.
1. Mechanical or Membrane TKL Keyboards?
Based on the way keystrokes are registered, keyboards may be classified into two broad categories. This is going to be on of the important considerations that you need to make while choosing a TKL keyboard.
If you are currently shopping for the right TKL keyboard, you should consider these two TKL keyboard types:
2. Mechanical Switches
Mechanical TKL keyboards have a rather unique way of registering keystrokes. In their design, mechanical keyboard switches feature an independent mechanical circuitry under every key. It is this mechanical mechanism that moves up and down to make a connection whenever a keystroke is made on the keyboard.
In this regard, the actuation point—a point at which the computer detects a keystroke as you press a key downwards—is within each mechanical switch.
This being the case, you do not have to press keys all the way down with mechanical TKL keyboards. Again, you do not need for a pressed key to come all the way up before you can make another keystroke. If you do a lot of typing, you will find such a keyboard a bit faster.
If this is your preferred type of keyboard, you will still need to choose from keyboards of varying resistance levels, audible noise and tactile feedback, as discussed below.
3. Membrane Keyboards
Membrane TKL keyboards are rather basic in design. Basically, such products have all the keys interconnected using pressure pads. Under each of the keys in such a product, there is a keycap and a spring that pushes the key back up after each press.
Once a key is pressed, the spring pushes the rubber dome to flatten and make contact with the circuit board.
For the computer to register a keystroke with such a keyboard, the cap has to be pushed all the way down. As such, you may find such a keyboard a bit slower for gaming applications.
- Type of Connection
How does your preferred TKL keyboard connect to the computer? As you know, there are several ways in which a keyboard may be connected to a computer. In this regard, you need to choose between wired USB connections and wireless connections.
Most of the TKL are wired with a USB plug that connects to the computer. If this is your preferred keyboard type, you will have to choose the right USB version, ranging from USB 2.0 to USB 3.1.
If you are tired of having all those wires connecting to your computer and would like a keyboard you can use almost anywhere in the room, you should go wireless.
For wireless TKL keyboards, you will have to choose between the two main types available today:
- Wireless USB dongle
- Bluetooth enabled TKL keyboards
Bluetooth enabled keyboards will connect to Bluetooth in your computer like any other Bluetooth-enabled device. The other type of wireless keyboards, on the other hand, comes with a USB dongle.
To use the keyboard, you need to plug the dongle into a USB port in your computer. With the dongle successfully installed in the computer, the PC will be able to detect the keyboard wirelessly.
4. Type of Mechanical Switch
Mechanical TKL keyboards are known to be superior in several ways. However, choosing the right one for your needs can be a daunting task. As mentioned above, there are several types of mechanical keyboard switches in use today. In this regard, here are the main mechanical switch types you should consider today:
- Cherry MX Blues – These are known to be rather ‘clicky’’ in nature. Such mechanical switches are characterized by a tactile bump and an audible click at the point of actuation whenever you press a key. Cherry MX Blue mechanical TKL switches require about 50 grams worth of force to actuate.
- Cherry MX Browns – Similar to the blues, the cherry MX browns have tactile bump feel when they actuate. However, these mechanical switches are comparatively quieter when pressed.
- Cherry MX Reds – These are often referred to as linear or smooth switches. This is because they travel rather smoothly all the way down when pressed. With such mechanical switches on your TKL keyboard, you will not be able to feel the actuation point as you would with the switches mentioned above.
While these are the main mechanical TKL keyboard switches available today, you can also get Cherry MX white, green and black switches. However, these are very similar to the Cherry MX blues, browns and reds in terms of tactile and linear properties.
Our Final Verdict
Whether you are looking for a fast gaming keyboard or just a space saving and portable model, the leading TKL mechanical keyboards have a lot to offer you.
Provided you know what to look for in a TKL keyboard, things will be a bit easier for you. As such, this guide has all the information you need to save time and money while buying the best tenkeyless mechanical keyboard.