If you are planning for an extended road trip, off the grid camping or simply setting up your backyard, SUV tents come in handy.
They provide a completely different and overwhelming experience. It is a great way of taking full advantage of the space and great mobility provided by SUVs.
SUV tents available on the market cannot fit or be used with all SUVs. Alternatively, not all can be used without a vehicle. Therefore, when searching for the right one, it’s wise to do research prior to buying a versatile and overly functional tent.
The best SUV tent should be spacious enough for your needs, easy to assemble and made from high-quality and durable materials (Source).
With plenty of models available, our SUV tent review outlines some of the best products and buyers guide to ease your search.
5 Best SUV Tents 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 5 Best SUV Tents 2019
- 2 1. Napier Backroadz SUV Tent – Best SUV Tent for Camping Everywhere
- 3 2. Soprtz SUV Tent – Best Roomy SUV Tent
- 4 3. Rightline Gear SUV Tent – Best Versatile SUV Tent
- 5 4. Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent – Best Freestanding Open Tent
- 6 5. Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot – Most Functional & Well-Designed Tent
- 7 Things to Consider Before Buying SUV Tents
- 8 Our Final Review for the Best SUV Tents
|Napier Backroadz SUV Tent|
|Soprtz SUV Tent|
|Rightline Gear SUV Tent|
|Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent|
|Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot|
1. Napier Backroadz SUV Tent – Best SUV Tent for Camping EverywhereThe Napier Backroadz SUV Tent is a perfect choice for anyone looking for a tent to utilize their vehicle as much as avoid sleeping on the ground. The tent comes with four large windows that provide adequate ventilation.
This eye catching SUV tent can be easily attached to the canvas and sleeves of your rear SUV model. Its polyester taffeta construction is not only appealing but also durable. Additionally, the mesh bug screen covering the tent keeps insects out of your tent at night.
The Napier Backroadz SUV Tent also features an additional flap on the exterior that is perfect for buffeting winds. The liftgate panel that comes along with a roving composite ascertains a comfortable and calm stay.
Its high quality and great workmanship make it a great utility tent for camping escapades. There are various size choices of the Napier Backroadz SUV Tent. Due to its size, the tent is best for small spaces. Additionally, its polyester fabric makes it a comfortable choice for all weather conditions.
As mentioned, it features four windows, with the rear window giving you the freedom to regulate the interior ventilation.
2. Soprtz SUV Tent – Best Roomy SUV TentThe Soprtz SUV Tent is an extra-large tent that can accommodate up to six people. This tent is not only beautifully designed but also impressive. It is certainly the best utility vehicle for SUV that can be carried for those seeking to enjoy outdoor escapades.
Perhaps the feature highlight of this tent is the extensive cargo space. Being a freestanding tent, it provides for a maximum extent. Its lift-gate gear panel with the roving composite system, like the Napier Backroadz, maximizes the level of comfort and calmness in the tent.
The Soprts SUV Tent is a damp and creepy crawl nature of this tent makes it ideal for use in any place the vehicle can access. Its high quality and great workmanship cannot certainly be ignored. It can be attached to the vehicle if you need to use the cargo area for utility needs or storage.
The tent’s material is made of fiberglass pole and steel that provides maximum stability and strength. Besides, this tough material provides all-weather protection keeping you safe from harsh weather conditions.
Setting up the tent is a breeze, with many users claiming they were able to set it within five minutes. The rear window of the tent moves up and down providing enough freedom for the users to regulate ventilation interiorly.
3. Rightline Gear SUV Tent – Best Versatile SUV TentIf you are looking to sleep off the ground experiencing the comfort of your own vehicle, consider incorporating the Rightline Gear SUV Tent in your outdoor escapade plans. The tent is overly versatile and can connect to the back of any SUV, wagon, Jeep Wrangler, pick-up truck, crossover and minivan with or without roof racks.
The inside of the Rightline Gear SUV Tent features upper and lower sleeve straps that easily adjust and attach for a perfect fit. For outdoors, safety from harsh weather conditions is always a priority, especially when using a tent. The Rightline Gear SUV Tent guarantees this, thanks to the storm covers that provide maximum storm protection and privacy.
Setting up the tent is very easy, in fact, it resembles setting up any other tent. It simply involves laying out the tent, assembling the fiberglass poles and attaching the threads through the sleeves of the pole.
The truck trail gate directly opens into the SUV tent, perhaps easing the access to your cargo area of the vehicle. Other intriguing features of the Rightline Gear SUV Tent include:
- Side gear pockets that provide a perfect place to store your keys, jewelry, phone and other specifics.
- A lantern hook that comes in handy if you are not ready for starlights. You can simply hand your lantern or any flashlight from the conveniently positioned hook.
- Glow in the dark zipper pulls that make it easy to slip in and out of the tent even in engulfing darkness.
- A bathtub floor that doesn’t necessitate a ground tap.
- A carrying back that easily fits the folded tent for adequate storage.
4. Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent – Best Freestanding Open TentIf you are looking for a tent to add some pleasant shape to your camping experience, the Kingcamp Compass SUC Tent is the best choice. It is a multifunctional tent that easily fits SUVs, cars, trucks and can also be used along the beach.
Due to its structure, the Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent can also be used as a profile ground shelter. It is constructed with double polyester material that comes with a waterproof coating. This protects the users from scorching sun rays and inclement weather conditions.
The tent has three shock-corded poles made from fiberglass and steel canopy poles that not only stabilize the tent but also makes it easy to assemble. So to say, setting it up takes less than 5 minutes. It measures 124 inches long and 84.6 inches wide, perhaps an attestation of the much space it covers.
When not in use, this unit folds up conveniently and fits its provided carrying bag. That said, the Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent is perfect for those who either need an impromptu campsite in the beach or just need some additional shade around the yard.
5. Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot – Most Functional & Well-Designed TentThe Kamp-Rite Oversize tent is a quick and easy way to transform your minivan, SUV or CUV into a comfortable camping vehicle away from home. It eliminates the need for zipping and unzipping the tent doors or opening and closing the vehicle doors to get something from the vehicle.
As it is quite versatile, you can set this tent up in seconds. It is very strong, mainly due to its solid aluminum build. The top of the tent is sealed as well to avoid bad weather conditions such as rain or extreme wind.
With an elevated sleeping position, comfort is a great feature of this tent. Though it has a sleek design, it can accommodate just two people. The tent sits 11 inches away from the ground, protecting you from insects and possibly reptiles in the forest.
Overall, and although listed at numbe five, the Kamp-Rite is a heavy duty, solid SUV tent.
Things to Consider Before Buying SUV Tents
SUV tents come in handy during various outdoor activities, especially camping. Therefore, having a good SUV tent for such wild outdoor activities is lucky compared to poor quality makes, which may interfere with your adventurous plans.
That said, there are some of the conditions to look into before purchasing an SUV tent. Outlined below are some of the essential factors to consider.
SUV Tent Material
It is of immense importance to consider the material used to make the tent before picking it. Otherwise, failure to check on this may result in purchasing a flop material that won’t be anything more of simple fabrics, straps, and poles.
Note that the material or make of the tent determines its durability. Tents are made of various materials. Among the common include taffeta, polyethylene and steel, often coated with plastic hooks.
Apart from durability, every safety aspect should be put into consideration. For instance, you should ensure that no lead or phthalate materials, which have some adverse health effects are included in the tent make.
There are numerous types of tents you can choose from. Finding the right one will depend on your vehicle. For instance, hatchback tents are best suited for small SUVs and other vehicles with extra cargo space. These tents allow the users to convert the cargo area into a protected and relatively comfortable sleeping space.
Similarly, there are tents designed for large SUVs and minivans. Both types attach to the vehicles, but large models are quite daunting to install. On the other hand, there are universal tents that can be used for nearly all vehicle types.
Rain Flies and Awnings
The best SUV tents come with single or double rain flies that help in keeping water out of the tent. Flies designed for the tent’s roof allow plenty of light to pass through while still providing undoubted protection from rain. Such tents are a great choice for camping through heavy rainstorms.
SUV tents come in various sizes. Choosing the perfect size is hugely reliant on the number of people you plan to share the tent with and the size of your car. Other considerations include how portable the tent is.
Always consider a convenient and reasonable sized tent that will comfortably accommodate your guests. It should also not be too large or small for your car.
You should consider how much the tent costs before purchasing it. This can at times be confusing, especially if you are not sure of the model, brand, and features of a good tent. Avoid being lured by the price psychology that the most expensive products are the best on the market.
As mentioned before, tents are made from a myriad of materials. However, there are other specifics about the tent make that should be considered. For instance, the technology used should make it easy to install and provide comfortable ventilation.
There are also extra features such as zippers that provide adequate space for privacy. Other models have four windows that maintain the internal air fresh and clean. There are other specific features concerning the make of the tent that should be considered.
Extra features that enhance the functionality of the tent include poles, stakes, and straps. Always consider how comfortable and sturdy these features are. Feel the floor and ventilation mechanism among other features.
Our Final Review for the Best SUV Tents
Disappointments from faulty tents and substandard structures are perhaps the last thing you would want to experience during your outdoor adventures. All the above-mentioned SUV tents form a great choice for camping and other outdoor fun activities.
These tents provide great functionality, durability, and good protection from adverse climatic conditions and insects. Others have impeccable features that complement its functionality such as mesh panels, rain flies, and awnings among others.
From our SUV tent review above, which of the tents is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!