If you are planning for an extended road trip, off the grid camping or simply setting up your backyard, SUV tents come in handy.
They provide a completely different and overwhelming experience. It is a great way of taking full advantage of the space and great mobility provided by SUVs.
Not all SUV tents available on the market are useable with all SUVs and not every product can be used without a vehicle either. Therefore, when searching for the right one, it’s wise to research before buying a versatile and overly functional tent.
The best SUV tent should be easy to assemble, spacious enough for your needs, and made from high-quality and durable materials (Source).
With plenty of models available, our SUV tent review outlines some of the best products to ease your search.
5 Best SUV Tents 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 5 Best SUV Tents 2019
- 2 1. Napier Backroadz SUV Tent – Best SUV Tent for Camping Everywhere
- 3 2. Soprtz SUV Tent – Best Roomy SUV Tent
- 4 3. Rightline Gear SUV Tent – Best Versatile SUV Tent
- 5 4. Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent – Best Freestanding Open Tent
- 6 5. Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot – Most Functional & Well-Designed Tent
- 7 Things to Consider Before Buying SUV Tents
- 8 Our Final Review for the Best SUV Tents
|Napier Backroadz SUV Tent|
|Soprtz SUV Tent|
|Rightline Gear SUV Tent|
|Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent|
|Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot|
1. Napier Backroadz SUV Tent – Best SUV Tent for Camping EverywhereThe Napier Backroadz SUV Tent is a perfect choice for anyone looking for a tent to utilize their vehicle with. The tent comes with four large windows that provide adequate ventilation.
Moreover, it is eye-catching and can be easily attached to the canvas and sleeves of your rear SUV model. Its polyester taffeta construction is not only appealing but also durable as well. Additionally, the mesh bug screen covering the tent keeps insects out of your tent at night.
Aside from those, the Napier Backroadz SUV Tent also features an additional flap on the exterior that is perfect for buffeting winds. The liftgate panel that comes along with a roving composite ascertains a comfortable and calm stay.
However, due to its size, this tent is best for small spaces.
Crafted from polyester fabric and thus perfect for any weather, it features four windows, with the rear window giving you the freedom to regulate the interior ventilation.
2. Soprtz SUV Tent – Best Roomy SUV TentThe Soprtz SUV Tent is an extra-large tent that can accommodate up to six people. This tent is not only beautifully designed but also impressive. It is certainly one of the best tents that attach to SUVs.
Perhaps the feature highlight of this tent is the extensive cargo space. Being a freestanding tent, it provides for a maximum extent. Additionally, its lift-gate gear panel with roving composite system maximizes the level of comfort and calmness in the tent.
On one hand, you can use this tent in any place your vehicle can access; while on the other hand, you can attach it to your vehicle if you need to use the cargo area for storage.
Aside from that, the tent’s pole boasts fiberglass and steel; providing maximum stability and strength alongside protection from any weather condition.
Consequently, setting up the tent is a breeze. Many users claimed they were able to set it within five minutes.
The rear window of the tent moves up and down to provide enough freedom for the users to regulate ventilation interiorly as well.
3. Rightline Gear SUV Tent – Best Versatile SUV TentIf you are looking to sleep off the ground and in the comfort of your own vehicle, consider incorporating the Rightline Gear SUV Tent in your outdoor escapade plans. The tent is overly versatile and can connect to the back of any SUV, wagon, Jeep Wrangler, pick-up truck, crossover and minivan with or without roof racks.
The inside of the Rightline Gear SUV Tent features upper and lower sleeve straps that easily adjust and attach for a perfect fit.
For outdoors, safety from harsh weather conditions is always a priority, especially when using a tent. Hence, the Rightline Gear SUV Tent guarantees this using the storm covers that provide maximum storm protection and privacy.
Moreover, setting up this flexible side tent is very easy. You simply have to lay the tent out, assemble the fiberglass poles, and then attach the threads through the sleeves of the pole.
The truck trail gate directly opens into the SUV tent and eases the access to the cargo area of your vehicle.
Other intriguing features of the Rightline Gear SUV Tent include:
- Side gear pockets that provide a perfect place to store your keys, jewelry, phone, and other specifics.
- A lantern hook that comes in handy if you are not ready for starlights.
- Glow in the dark zipper pulls that make it easy to slip in and out of the tent.
- A bathtub floor that doesn’t necessitate a ground tap.
- A carrying back that easily fits the folded tent for adequate storage.
4. Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent – Best Freestanding Open TentIf you are looking for a tent to add some pleasant shape to your camping experience, the Kingcamp Compass SUC Tent is the best choice. It is a multifunctional tent that easily fits SUVs, cars, trucks, and can also be used along the beach.
Due to its structure, the Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent can also be used as a profile ground shelter. Furthermore, it is constructed with double polyester material that comes with a waterproof coating. This protects the users from scorching sun rays and inclement weather conditions.
Additionally, it boasts three shock-corded poles made from fiberglass and steel canopy poles that not only stabilize the tent but also make it easy to assemble. Therefore, setting it up takes less than 5 minutes.
Alongside that, it measures 124 inches long and 84.6 inches wide. However, when not in use, this unit folds up conveniently and fits its provided carrying bag.
That said, the Kingcamp Compass SUV Tent is perfect for those who either need an impromptu campsite in the beach or just need some additional shade around the yard.
5. Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot – Most Functional & Well-Designed TentMeanwhile, the Kamp-Rite Oversize tent is a quick and easy way to transform your minivan, SUV or CUV into a comfortable camping vehicle away from home. It eliminates the need for zipping and unzipping the tent doors or opening and closing the vehicle doors to get something from the vehicle.
To offer its protection, the top of the tent is sealed to avoid bad weather conditions like rain or extreme wind; and alongside that, this tent boasts an aluminum build.
However, although it has a sleek design, it can accommodate only two people. Perhaps it is because of its elevated sitting position which aims to provide comfort. Furthermore, the tent sits 11 inches away from the ground to protect you from insects and possibly reptiles in the forest.
Hence, overall, the Kamp-Rite is a heavy-duty and solid SUV tent.
Things to Consider Before Buying SUV Tents
SUV tents come in handy during various outdoor activities, especially camping. Therefore, having a good SUV tent for such wild outdoor activities is lucky compared to poor quality makes, which may interfere with your adventurous plans.
That said, there are some conditions to look into before purchasing an SUV tent. Outlined below are some of the essential factors to consider.
SUV Tent Material
It is of immense importance to consider the material used to make the tent before picking it. Otherwise, failure to check on this may result in purchasing a flop material that won’t be anything more than simple fabrics, straps, and poles.
Note that the material or make of the tent determines its durability. Tents are made of various materials like taffeta, polyethylene, and steel coated with plastic hooks.
Apart from durability, every safety aspect should be put into consideration. For instance, you should ensure that no lead or phthalate materials are included in the tent make.
There are numerous types of tents you can choose from. Finding the right one will depend on your vehicle. For instance, hatchback tents are best suited for small SUVs and other vehicles with extra cargo space. These tents allow the users to convert the cargo area into a protected and relatively comfortable sleeping space.
Similarly, there are tents designed for large SUVs and minivans. Both types attach to the vehicles, but large models are quite daunting to install. On the other hand, there are universal tents that can be used for nearly all vehicle types.
Rain Flies and Awnings
The best SUV tents come with either a single or double rain flies that help in keeping water out of the tent. Flies designed for the tent’s roof allow plenty of light to pass through while still providing undoubted protection from rain. Such tents are a great choice for camping through heavy rainstorms.
SUV tents come in various sizes. Choosing the perfect size is hugely reliant on the number of people you plan to share the tent with and the size of your car.
Always consider a convenient and reasonably sized tent that will comfortably accommodate your guests. It should also not be too large or too small for your car.
Most importantly, you should consider how much the tent costs before purchasing it. This can at times be confusing, but once you review the tents’ features themselves and determine if they fit your needs, you’ll find it easy.
As mentioned before, tents are made from a myriad of materials. However, there are other specifics about the tent make that should be considered. For instance, the technology used should make it easy to install and provide comfortable ventilation.
There are also extra features such as zippers that provide adequate space for privacy. Other models have four windows that maintain the internal air fresh and clean as well.
Additionally, extra features that enhance the functionality of the tent include poles, stakes, and straps. Always consider how comfortable and sturdy these features are. Feel the floor and ventilation mechanism among other features.
Our Final Review for the Best SUV Tents
Disappointments from faulty tents and substandard structures are perhaps the last thing you would want to experience during your outdoor adventures. The best SUV tents are listed above, and they range from tents that attach to SUVs to full-size van side tents.
These tents provide great functionality, durability, and good protection from adverse climatic conditions and insects. Similarly, others have impeccable features that complement its functionality such as mesh panels, rain flies, and awnings.
From our SUV tent review above, which of the tents is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!