Armors have been one of the primary modes of protection against attacks since the stone age. As civilization prospered, so did the ways to improve body armor for efficient protection. As we moved closer to the present age, armors evolved not in just quality but also in design. One such type of armor to gain popularity is the studded leather armor.
If you have been playing D&D and similar medieval fantasy games, you will instantly come to know about this particular type of armor. It’s immensely popular for its versatility, lightweight, and high durability. If you had an interest in checking out this post, you are aware of studded leather armors being a great co-play prop.
Studded leather armor has been one of the most sorted-out costume props for cosplaying as a medieval ranger, knight, or similar warrior. This type of apparel offers a unique look that instantly makes others understand your mode of inspiration.
The best-studded leather armor comes in various sizes, shapes, fittings, colors, and more. In this post, we will share the top-rated cosplay studded leather armors that you can buy online. Additionally, we will learn more about this particular armor type that can satiate your curiosity.
Comparing The Top 5 Picks
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Top 5 Picks
- 2 DIY Studded Leather Armor Tutorial
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 Brief History Of Studded Leather Armors
- 5 Various Studded Leather Armor Pieces
- 6 Studded Leather Armor FAQs
- 7 Ready To Buy Studded Leather Armor
- ✔️★These studded arm bracers will provide you protection during that LARP Event or complete your outfit for the Medieval Faire. The studded arm...
- Total Length: 13 Inches
- Its also a gift for friends or Anime lovers.
- Materials : Steel , Leather
- ✔️★YOUR MEDIEVAL SHOULDER GUARD STEEL BREASTPLATE: Made up of High Quality 18 gauge Steel with Historically accurate and authentic design. Armor...
DIY Studded Leather Armor Tutorial
Studded leather armor gets a lot of inspiration from its real-life cousin, the Brigandine armor. If you are a DIY hobbyist and love to create your medieval fantasy props, you might want to try making a studded leather armor yourself. Here is a DIY tutorial link to help you understand the process of making Brigandine armor, which is similar to studded leather type.
Leather armor was once peace of shielding to help deflect and absorb projectile and weapon impacts primarily in the medieval period. It was quite versatile, lightweight, and robust apparel to stop penetrations, slashes, and bludgeons from various weapons on the body.
In the modern world, leather armor has merely become a prop to act in movies or for Comic Cons and other conventions. It has become a beautiful piece of art that reflects the craftwork in the past when limited materials were present as a mode of protection. Studded leather armor is an intuitive experiment that was invented specifically for the D&D games. That’s why fans of the game love this type of armor and look forward to getting it for various exhibitions, Halloween parties, or other social gatherings.
If you are interested in this armor, we recommend going through this studded leather armor buying guide to picking the best gear for your cosplay.
- Variety: While you can get readymade leather armors for your costume design, you can also find custom fittings through relevant designers. Several forms of studded leather armors are created with unisex designs to be more comfortable to wear for kids, women, and men alike.
You can also come across a variety of sizes in these protective gear based on your physique. Modern resources available to design such apparel have enabled artists to create armors in an array of colors, sizes, and designs. That helps you choose an item that gives you a unique look.
- Costume: Besides the variety of features related to studded leather armor, you also need to decide how you want to wear it. Do you want to make a single armor piece be a part of an existing costume? Or do you want to buy a complete set consisting of greaves, leg armor, thigh armor, arm bracers, etc.?
You can even choose customized DIY studded armor pieces, which you can combine to form your unique costume. It is all about how detailed you want your outfit to be. You can choose independent studded leather armor pieces or a full set based on your requirements through relevant online sources like Etsy.
- Style: You can select several styles and designs depending on the way you like you studded leather armor to look. You might want the rivets on the armor to be of a specific size to make them look appealing. Keep in mind that a detailed armor will cost you more. So, be ready to spend accordingly to choose a particular-styled armor for your cosplay.
- Material: Studded leather armors will also be available for you in a variety of leather types. You can choose high-quality leather or go with artificial leather-like materials, such as Rexine. To have a genuine-looking armor, we recommend choosing natural-leather armor. It will undoubtedly be expensive, but it will be worth buying to display a cool-looking armor.
Brief History Of Studded Leather Armors
There has been little proof supporting the historical presence of the studded leather armor. In real life, it has not been present. You can find the company of leather armor suits, but no such protective gear consists of studs or rivets on leather armors.
The studded leather armor’s closest relative is the Brigandine armor, which was popular in the 15th century. But, this type of armor does not show off protruding studs on the outside. It does have flat rivets inside the armor plates to make it more sturdy (Source).
Moreover, Brigandine armor was not necessarily constructed using leather as the core material for the gear. It could also be created using canvas or heavy cloth with steel plates lined inside and a fabric covering the plates from the back.
However, studded leather armor gained popularity during the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game released in 1977 (Source). Its striking appeal instantly attracted players to use it for their cosplays or creative costume sessions for the game. This armor could be accessed through the Rogue class type in the game.
Even though studded armors made out of leather material have not been present in the past, these have become of the most popular cosplay choices. The majority of the credit goes to D&D-like games that started adding a character favorable to this armor set.
Various Studded Leather Armor Pieces
Studded leather armors are available in various styles and designs that can give you a lot of options to choose from for any cosplay event. Not to mention, you can choose from single pieces or a full-body set. This section will check out the popular leather armor pieces with studs that you can buy online.
Studded Leather Cuirass
- medieval ERA
- Upgraded TR90 frames | Universal Fit
If you need something to cover your torso, a leather cuirass with studs is the best choice. Dressing up as a medieval soldier, ranger, knight, or warrior will require body armor. And, a studded leather cuirass can give you a large piece of cosplay prop that you can buy online. The best benefit of a cuirass is that it is the largest part of a full armor set. So, if your budget is low, investing in just a cuirass can make all the difference in your cosplay looks.
Faux Leather Gauntlets With Metal Spikes
- Faux Leather Gauntlet Wristband Armband Medieval Bracers for Men and Women
- Faux Leather Gauntlet Wristband Armband Medieval Bracers for Men and Women
- Set Include: 1Pc Wristband
Besides a cuirass for the torso, gauntlets are the most apparent co-play items you will need to buy to complete your costume. Studded leather gauntlets with metal spikes is a great combination that you can try to create an intriguing outfit for exhibiting at an event.
Additionally, getting such gauntlets in faux material will not be as expensive as a pair of gauntlets created with genuine leather. Make sure to choose the right colored gauntlets to match with your costume.
Studded Leather Pauldron
- Made of real leather this bracelet combines both style with comfort.
- Materials : Steel , Leather
Pauldrons are worn over the shoulders, which makes them look pretty badass. Instead of both shoulders, pauldrons are designed to shield one shoulder, making the user look bigger and stronger. These studded with metal spikes or rivets look even fiercer to the onlookers.
It accompanies leather belts to strap it over the shoulder so that it stays in place. If your choice of costume is that of a bulky and robust warrior, a studded leather pauldron is a way to go.
Ranger Elite Studded Armor
- Fitments: Fits for 2018-2021 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 RZR RS1 Pro General. This Pulse Power Plug Connector fits the new Polaris bus bar, Pulse power...
- Package Includes: 1 Thick black gangster moustache
- There is a hook&loop at the connection of the vest and shoulder straps to lock the shoulder straps, which can effectively prevent the shoulder armor...
One of the most chosen characters in RPG fantasy games is a Ranger. These types of individuals can be from various classes like archers, hunters, trackers, or scouts. D&D’s Elite Ranger costumes with their studded leather designs are worth an investment to show off at conventions, Halloween parties, etc. Ranger outfits look best when you buy a full-body suit. Adding props like a hunter bow, quiver, and arrows can further complete the desired look.
- LEGEND OF ZELDA (NINTENDO)
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
Manchurian people of the Qing dynasty had popularized the use of riveted armor. This famous armor, derived from the Brigandine armor, covered the whole body with metallic rivets to give an extra layer of protection to the Chinese warriors. If you are a fan of these famous Asian warriors, you can get yourself a full-fledged Manchu armor set for a cosplay session. You can get this studded protective gear is not just leather but other lightweight fabrics as well.
Classic D&D Studded Leather Body Armor
- [CE2 LEVEL ARMOR] Redesign your material to our Level 2 CE Approved Armor Pad Set for Motorcycle Jackets. Our 5-PC Ce armor pad set have 1 Ce back...
- Commonly used for sporting goods repair such baseball glove laces, footwear, outdoor gear and heavy duty projects that require a little extra strength...
If you are a fan of the classic Dungeons and Dragons studded leather armor look, you should choose this type of apparel. After all, the D&D studded leather armor is the original piece that evolved into a select category of armors per se. This particular armor has various designs, which will not leave your creative mind to feel bored one bit.
Not to mention, you can even find studded leather armor for girls, if that’s what you want to get. Check out reliable sites like Etsy or Amazon and browse through the collection to find what you need.
The Witcher Leather Armor
- It fits Well for a Roman, Gladiator, Barbarian, Greek, or any Primitive Costume,Perfect for Cosplay costume.
- The Condition of this Arm & Leg guard is New
- This has antique Design.
If you have been a fan of The Witcher games, series, or books, you are going to love portraying the iconic character of Geralt Of Rivia. The game, especially the third one, shows off a variety of Witcher armors throughout the game. One of the iconic ones is the studded leather armor that you will notice Geralt wearing right from the game’s start. That armored bodysuit, with its metallic rivets, gives the character a rugged look. You can choose this cool costume through relevant sites online.
Rogue Thief Armor
- Color night vision: An all-new Starlight Sensor records night time video in full, vivid color. The Starlight Sensor can see full color in environments...
- Spacious interior - the dedicated PC compartment fits gaming laptops up to a whopping 17. 3". Perfectly placed pockets provide quick access to your...
- Product Type: Backpack
This armor is one of the most-sorted out apparel for those who love playing as the Rogue class’s sneaky and cautious character. Rogue thieves can be found in a variety of RPG games besides D&D. The armor worn by a Rogue thief needs to be versatile and tactical. That’s why it is usually made out of leather. The addition of rivets on the gauntlets, pauldron, and greaves gives this awesome costume a unique and beseeching look.
Studded Leather Armor FAQs
Is Studded Leather Armor Real?
No actual proof exists that shows the presence of the studded leather armor in history. Studded leather is possible, but practically it would not have proven to be a feasible piece of armor to shield against attacks. In RPG fantasy games, studded armors are strengthened with magic and other accessories to increase their defensive power. But, in real life, there is no sign of practicality for such armor types.
How Do You Make Studded Leather Armor?
Studded leather armor requires leather and metallic studs or rivets, which are fixed at equal distances on the fabric. This type of armor will require a specific base to keep the rivets in place, as leather is a soft material – otherwise, the rivets will quickly come out of the leather fabric’s holes. You can also find tons of DIY tutorials showing the right way of making studded leather armors.
Ready To Buy Studded Leather Armor
Whether in fiction or reality, studded leather armor has one of the most appealing looks that you can try on for costume parties. You can find this awesome-looking prop wears in a variety of colors, styles, and designs. Some of the most iconic characters from RPG games, media, and stories wear this type of armor. That’s why it is one of the most popular choices available.
The best-studded leather armor is the one that is versatile, lightweight, easy-to-wear, and appealing. Through our list, we recommend the top choices that you can buy online right now. Choose the one that suits your style so that you can have a fun-filled cosplay activity with your friends and family. Looking for Dice Bags? Check out our article on how to choose the best ones here.