As you grow older, it is important for you to carry out the right exercises. This will not only keep your body strong and productive, it will also help you avoid the heath conditions associated with old age.
In this regard, the best stationary bike for seniors will help you work out the entire body at home. However, you need to ensure that you have bought the right exercise bike.
If you are shopping for the best exercise bike for the elderly, you need to get the right type, size, and heart rate monitor. Additionally, it is advisable to buy a bike that is relatively easy to assemble.
In this guide, we will review five of the best exercise bikes for seniors today.
Best Stationary Bikes for Seniors 2018
|Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike (MY17)|
|Stamina Elite Total Body|
1. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike (MY17) – Best OverallAlthough this is a high-end product, it is ideal for a serious workout enthusiast. The bike features a sleek and appealing design. Additionally, it is rated one of the best workout bikes today, with regards to the level of comfort it offers. This bike is packed with 29 preset exercise programs to help you work out. Additionally, the product boasts of about 25 resistance levels as well as 4 different user profiles.
For a quieter operation, this equipment is fitted with a perimeter weighted flywheel, coupled to a high-inertia drive system. With this bike, your heart rate will be accurately tracked through the handlebars. Additionally, this product is also telemetry enabled. As such, the bike can support a chest strap as well. This piece of equipment also features built-in speakers as well as an input chord for iPod and MP3 players.
To ensure that you are well entertained while working out, this bike is designed to allow for USB as well as Bluetooth data transfer. You will also love the display used on this stationary bike—a DualTrack, dual blue backlit LCD window display.
2. Exerpeutic 900XL – Best Stationary Bike for Cardiovascular ExercisesAre you looking for a bike that will offer you a basic set up, yet is sturdy and durable? The Exerpeutic 900XL is one of the few recumbent bikes that will offer you efficiency, affordability, durability, comfort and ease of use in one package. As a matter of fact, its affordability is one of the reasons the bike is so popular today. To make your cardiovascular exercises more effective, the bike features 8 Magnetic-tension levels.
The 900XL boasts of a relatively large carrying capacity and is suitable for users of any skill level. This product is designed to make your workouts more productive, by allowing you to track your progress. In this regard, the bike is fitted with an easy to read and program LCD display. This display will display such things as the workout period and your heart rate. Unlike many other models within this price range, the 900XL will also let you know the number of calories you have burnt.
3. Schwinn 230 – Best for Optimal Comfort and Minimum StrainIf you are looking for the best value for your money while shopping for a stationary bike for seniors, the Schwinn 230 will do. Although the bike is relatively affordable, it is packed with a horde of features to make your workouts more effective and enjoyable. Basically, this unit is designed to give you the best low-impact cardio exercises. One of the likable aspects of this bike is its ease of use.
The Schwann stationary bike features a relatively large console and comes with 22 preset exercise programs. Additionally, you will be able to choose any of the 20 resistance levels offered by this unit. As such, this unit allows you to personalize your workouts to match your goals. With this equipment, you will also be able to set your own profile preferences.
4. Nautilus R614 – Best Value for MoneyThe Nautilus R616 is basically a scaled-up version of the renowned R614 model by the manufacturer. Having been designed for low-impact exercises, this unit has the features you need. To begin, the bike features a sturdy frame and oversized crossbar tubing. These are meant to keep the bike stable, regardless of the resistance level you are using. Additionally, the unit is equipped with 29 workout programs and offers 25 resistance levels.
The R616 workout bike allows for integration with MyFitnessPal as well as Nautilus Connect via Bluetooth or USB. This makes it easier for your o tracks your workout information.
5. Stamina Elite Total Body – Best for Whole-Body WorkoutsThe Stamina Elite Total Body was specifically designed to work out the upper as well as lower body at the same time. To achieve this, this bike features conventional foot pedals and hand pedals. If you are looking for effective, low-impact exercises, you should consider buying this bike. To help you achieve your workout goals, the unit is equipped with 8 resistance levels.
In addition to effective workouts, this unit boasts of several comfort features. For instance, the seat on this bike is adjustable and features cushioning. Additionally, the bike features rotating handlebars.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Stationary Bike for Seniors
You probably are aware of the importance of exercising as one grows older, right?
Old age predisposes one to certain life-threatening conditions, such as diabetes, stroke and heart attack. This risk is greater if you fail to exercise in your old age. Stationary bikes for seniors are some of the best workout machines for the elderly today.
While this is the case, choosing the best exercise bike for the elderly is not that easy. For you to buy the best workout bike for seniors there are several things that you need to consider.
If you are shopping for the best stationery bike, here are some of the things you should consider:
1. Type of Stationery Bike
Currently, stationary bikes are available in two main variations; the upright and the recumbent bike types. The main difference between these two bike types is the riding position.
However, each of the two types has its own benefits as well as downsides, as discussed below:
- Upright Stationary Bikes
This is the traditional type of stationery bikes. With these bikes, you have to assume an upright posture whenever you are exercising. As such, they are considered to be effective at exercising upper and lower body muscles. However, these bikes come with an increased risk of injury, which makes them unsuitable for the elderly.
The various upright bike models are rated the best for cardio exercises. With upright stationary bikes for seniors, you need to lean forward to get a hold of the handlebars. This can end up straining your neck and back. Again, the relatively higher riding position of these bikes makes them less stable.
- Recumbent Stationary Bikes
According to the leading experts in the industry, this is the best type of stationary bikes for the elderly. This is mainly because they allow the rider to assume a relatively comfortable position while riding them. In this regard, most of the leading recumbent bike models are equipped with chair-like seats.
As opposed to the upright models, recumbent bikes do not require you to bend so as to reach the handlebars. As a matter of fact, you can even ride the bike hands-free. Since these bikes do not strain your body as upright models would, they allow you to exercise more effectively and for long hours.
2. Seat Size and Adjustments
If you are looking for a more comfortable stationary bike option, you should consider buying the best recumbent bikes today. As compared to upright bikes, recumbent bikes are fitted with wider and more comfortable seats. However, do you know what seat size is the best? As an elderly rider, you should go for a seat that is neither too big not too small.
The size of the seat on your preferred stationery bike models should be proportional to your body size. You also need to remember that other family members may need to use the equipment. As such, an adjustable seat height will come handy. With an adjustable seat, different users can adjust the equipment to suit their riding requirements. If you sweat a lot during workouts, it is advisable to go for a bike with a vented seat.
3. Type of Heart Rate Monitor
Most of the leading exercise bike models today are fitted with sensors to read your heart rate. In this regard, the equipment will display your heart rate in real time as you work out. Basically, there are two main types of heart rate monitors that may be used on these bikes—Pulse and wireless monitors. Pulse heart rate monitors require you to hold the sensors as you train. This can be inconvenient for some people.
The wireless monitors, on the other hand require you to wear a particular device, mostly a chest strap. Not only are wireless monitors more accurate, they are re less likely to interfere with your workout. All you need to do is wear the chest strap and the equipment will display your heart rate on the LCD display.
Just like conventional bikes, stationery bikes for seniors come in parts or partially assembled. While shopping for the right bike for your workouts, you should opt for the ones that are relatively easier to assemble. This is particularly the case, if you are going to assemble the equipment on your own. If you buy a complex model, you may need to hire a skilled professional to assemble it, which will cost you more money.
Best Stationary Bike for Seniors: Final Review
Come to think of it, what really do you need in a stationary workout bike? Basically, you should get a bike that will help you achieve your workout goals. For instance, you may be looking for a senior’s stationary bike that will work out your lower as well as upper body. In such a case, the Stamina Elite Total Body will come in handy.
If you are not working on a limited budget, you should get a model that offers you more. The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike, for instance, is a high-end product; but offers more features. Such a machine is ideal for almost any workout regime.
All in all, the various products reviewed in this guide have been tested and proven to be helpful. With this guide, choosing the best stationary bike for seniors should be a walk in the park.