The inability to put on our own socks is just one of the many debilitating problems associated with old age.
Not having the mobility to reach down to our feet can leave us feeling embarrassed and helpless.
Luckily, the invention of the sock aid has helped millions of people regain their independence.
The simple, but genius invention has had a massive rise in popularity over the past few years, especially for people with arthritis (Source).
Because of this, there are now hundreds of sock aids on the market. The problem is, which one should you choose?
The perfect sock aid should be affordable, well made and easy to use. They should also be sturdy and made using high quality materials.
Best Sock Aids 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Sock Aids 2019
- 2 1. RMS Deluxe Sock Aid with Foam Handles – The Most Well-Rated Sock Aid
- 3 2. EVA Medical EZ-Tug – The Most Affordable Sock Aid
- 4 3. Sock Assist Device by Vive – The Most Well-Made Sock Aid
- 5 4. The Sock Horse – The Most Simple To Use Sock Aid
- 6 5. Allstar Innovations Sock Slider – The Most Portable Sock Aid
- 7 Things To Consider Before Buying Sock Aids
- 8 Our Final Review for the Best Sock Aids
|Royal Medicine Solutions Sock Aid|
|EVA Medical EZ-Tug|
|Sock Assist Device by Vive|
|The Sock Horse|
|Allstar Innovations Sock Slider|
1. RMS Deluxe Sock Aid with Foam Handles – The Most Well-Rated Sock AidThe Royal Medicine Solutions sock aid is one of the originals. It’s highly rated by almost everyone who uses it. The soft foam handles are comfortable to hold and the device is easy to use.
This is perfect for those who don’t have much grip strength in their hands. The contoured plastic shell is easy to load with your socks, stockings and leggings. It also features a non-slip guard that keeps your socks in place more effectively.
With the shell, cords and handles combined, the RMS sock aid is 38” long. However, the cords can be cut to suit your own needs. If you have problems bending over, the cord can be adjusted to make sure you don’t have to. Overall, the RMS sock aid is one of the best on the market. It’s ideal if you are suffering from arthritis, a back injury or any other mobility related issues.
2. EVA Medical EZ-Tug – The Most Affordable Sock AidIf you are looking for the best value for money, the EZ-Tug is the one you need. It provides all of the same benefits as the others on our list, just at a cheaper price.
With that being said, there are a couple of issues. It’s not ideal for those with larger feet (12 plus). It’s also not ideal for compression socks. However, don’t let these put you off just yet. The EZ-Tug is exactly what the name suggests: Easy.
The flexible plastic shell is comfortable and will fit most feet. The handles are made of a soft foam that is comfortable to hold and easy to squeeze. The cord can be lengthened to suit your own needs.
The build quality is fantastic for the price. The plastic material is strong, sturdy and won’t peel after prolonged use. It’s perfect for any type of socks, leggings and stockings. It’s also small and compact allowing you to neatly store it when it’s not in use. Overall, the EZ-Tug will get the job done effectively without breaking the bank. We highly recommend it.
3. Sock Assist Device by Vive – The Most Well-Made Sock AidJust like the previous two products, the sock assist device by Vive is a cost-effective and easy to use sock aid. It’s very similar in design to the RMS and EZ-Tug but with a more circular shell. The material is plastic but it’s soft, comfortable and flexible. It’s also not too wide, making it perfect for compression socks. The foam handles are soft and the cord can be adjusted to your own size.
The sock assist device is very easy to use. If you suffer with lower back pain and can’t bend down too far, it will make your life easier. It’s not too expensive either. Overall, it’s a great product that will transform your life. It also comes with a 60-day warranty just in case it’s not for you.
4. The Sock Horse – The Most Simple To Use Sock AidAn extremely popular sock aid that is loved because of its simpleness is the Sock Horse. Unlike the others on our list, the sock horse has just one handle. It’s so easy to use, you only need one hand. The plastic handle is easy to grip and is long enough to suit any person. It’s also adjustable to suit your own needs. The biggest benefit is the way in which it’s designed. The socks hook over the edges of the shell and you slide your foot directly into the sock. Other sock aids require your feet to touch the plastic.
If you need help putting on your shoes, the sock horse can help you. It can double as a shoe horn. Everything about the sock horse gets a thumbs up from us. It’s affordable, versatile and easy to use. If you need a sock aid that is simple to use, this is probably your best option.
5. Allstar Innovations Sock Slider – The Most Portable Sock AidThe allstar innovations sock slider is extremely compact. It can be folded up and stored in the smallest of places. It’s ideal for those who need a sock aid to go travelling with. The blue plastic isn’t the nicest looking, but that doesn’t affect the quality of the product. It’s comfortable, has great grip and is easy to use. It works with all types of socks including compression socks. It also works as a shoe horn.
The sock slider is the perfect device for those with injuries, mobility issues or pregnant women. The fact that it’s compact and portable is the main reason why it’s on our list. If you travel a lot, it’s the perfect companion. It will take up hardly any space in your case and could save you from lots of pain. Overall, it’s an incredible sock aid at an affordable price. You won’t have any regrets with this one.
Things To Consider Before Buying Sock Aids
While sock aids are incredibly easy to use, finding the best one for your needs is certainly not. Most sock aids are pretty similar, but not all of them are made for every person’s feet.
Some are too big, too wide or not the right material. While we all agree that a sock aid should be durable, well-made and easy to use, they should also be ideal for your specific feet.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a sock aid.
Know Your Feet
Knowing your feet is the most important thing to keep in mind when buying sock aids. Not all sock aids are made the same. Some are wider and are more suited for wider feet. Some or thinner but longer, designed for thinner feet.
Knowing whether you have wide or thin feet beforehand will save you the trouble of returning the product if you choose the wrong one. The products descriptions should clearly state whether they are made for wide or thinner feet.
If not, take a look at the product image. Does it look like it would fit on your feet?
Do You Need a Shoe Horn?
People who are struggling with mobility issues will usually struggle to put on their shoes. If that is the case for you, a s hoe horn can come in handy. Instead of buying a sock aid and a shoe horn separately, why not buy a two-in-one? Some sock aids will double up as a shoe horn. The good thing is, they aren’t usually more expensive either. If you are ever in pain when putting on your shoes, consider choosing one that doubles as a shoe horn.
Always Look at The Handles
The handles of a sock aid are what you will be using to pull your socks on to your feet. Some sock aids use cords and hand grips and some use a built-in handle. The built-in handles are usually more difficult to pull. If you have trouble squeezing your hands, you will want to consider a sock aid with two, soft-grip handles. The soft sponge will not require as much force to pull the sock on to your feet. The idea is to eliminate pain, not create more.
How To Use a Sock Aid
If you have never used a sock aid before, you will be surprised at how simple they are. With that being said, we decided to share the instructions with you before you decide to purchase one. The last thing we want is for you to receive the product just to find out it doesn’t work how you expected.
To use a sock aid, simply:
- Slide the sock aids plastic shell into your sock, stocking or legging. The shell should be big enough to stretch the sock out fully, leaving no slack in the sock.
- Grab the handles provided and lay the sock aid across the floor. The opening of the sock will be facing you.
- Next, you simply slide your foot into the sock aid and sock. Don’t use your feet or legs to slide the foot in. Grab the handles and pull the sock aid towards you.
- Slowly pull the sock aid in an upwards direction to cover your entire foot. Once the sock is fully on your foot, continue pulling to release the sock aid. The plastic shell will exit your sock and your sock will be on nice and tightly.
- Repeat the whole process for the other foot. Job done!
Sock aids are incredibly simple to use. They only take a few seconds to use and they can completely eliminate your need to bend over. It’s always a good idea to adjust the handles to your own requirements. There should be no effort or bending required on your part.
Our Final Review for the Best Sock Aids
Sock aids are a genius invention that have saved millions of people from pain. They all work in the same way, but they all have their own unique features and benefits.
We tried to cover a broad spectrum of products with our sock aid reviews. Hopefully, along with our buyers guide, your decision has become easier.
If you are still spoilt for choice, we would recommend sticking with the RMS sock aid. It’s the highest rated for a reason. It’s strong, easy to use and built to last.
However, if you want to kill two birds with one stone, consider the Sock Horse. It does a great job as a shoe horn as well as a sock aid.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to your personal needs and preferences. With that being said, we hope this guide has better equipped you to make the right choice.