In most irrigation scenarios, soaker hoses are considered to be the most efficient way to go.
Unlike conventional garden horses, soaker hoses have tinny holes punctured throughout their length. These holes allow them to drip water directly to the plant roots, rather than splashing it around the plant.
Whether you use these hoses on the surface or below the ground surface, you will find them very efficient on water.
With the best soaker hose, you will not need to make the surface excessively muddy in order to water the plants. However, choosing the right hose for whichever application is not that easy (Source).
To choose the right soaker hose, you need to consider such things as the material, number of holes, durability, and length of the hose. To help you choose the right one, here are reviews of five of the best soaker hoses available today.
Best Soaker Hoses 2018
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Soaker Hoses 2018
- 2 1. Gilmour Garden Hose Flat Soaker 75 feet 870751-1001 – Best Overall
- 3 2. Rain Bird T22-250S Drip Irrigation – Easy to Install
- 4 3. Melnor Flat Soaker Garden Hose – Flat Soaker Hose
- 5 4. Teknor Apex, 1030-100, Soil Soaker Hose – The Best 100 Feet Soaker Hose
- 6 5. Gardener’s Supply Snip-n-Drip Soaker Hose System – Best for Custom Watering
- 7 Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Soaker Hose
- 8 Our Final Review
|Gilmour Garden Hose Flat Soaker 75 feet 870751-1001|
|Rain Bird T22-250S Drip Irrigation|
|Melnor Flat Soaker Garden Hose|
|Teknor Apex, 1030-100, Soil Soaker Hose|
|Gardener’s Supply Snip-n-Drip Soaker Hose System|
1. Gilmour Garden Hose Flat Soaker 75 feet 870751-1001 – Best OverallThe Gilmour Garden Hose is one of the best flat soaker hoses you can buy today. The unique design of this product allows it to offer an even, efficient and rather gentle watering experience through pressure weeping. The weeping pressure mechanism of watering offered by this hose has been proven to be very effective.
This is mainly because it reduces water evaporation by releasing the water directly to the ground slowly. Additionally, you will also find the hose very flexible and lightweight. With regards to construction, the product is made of perforated PVC liner and covered in fabric, giving it a durable construction. The fabric covering on the hose is meant to protect it from the destructive UV rays from the sun.
As a result, the product will offer you a longer-lasting, durable performance. You will also find the hose rather versatile in application. In this regard, you may just lay it on the ground next to the plants you would like to water or burry it underground.
Either way, the soaker will reduce water wastage by directly watering the roots of your trees, vegetables, flowers or shrubs. Owing to its strong design, the hose can handle water pressure up to 60 psi. The product is backed by a 7 years warranty by the manufacturer. This is a guarantee that the manufacturer is confident with the product they are selling.
2. Rain Bird T22-250S Drip Irrigation – Easy to InstallConnecting several soaker hoses to cover the area you would like to irrigate can be cumbersome, don’t you think? What if you had a single hose that can do that without the need to connect several of them? This is now possible with the Rain Bird T22-250S Drip Irrigation hose. To achieve this, the product is availed in a 250 feet coil.
As you can imagine, this makes installation comparatively easy; you just need to connect one end of the hose to the water source and snake it around your plants. The ease of installation of the product is further enhanced by its flexible, rugged design. The design is not only durable, but also makes it easier to unroll and lay down.
With regards to versatility, the tubing may be used as main line in a drip irrigation system. Alternatively, you may also use the hose to branch off from the main 1/2″ drip tubing and into micro watering devices. You will also like the fact that t his tubing is compatible with spot watering emitters, 1/4″ barbed fittings, sprayers and micro bubblers.
3. Melnor Flat Soaker Garden Hose – Flat Soaker HoseLooking forward to minimising water wastage while irrigating your garden? The Melnor Flat Soaker Garden hose is one of the best soaker hoses for irrigating smaller areas. The product is offered in 2 packs of strong, durable and flexible 50 feet hoses. With this product, you will end up irrigating the plants directly without having any runoff on the ground.
Not only will this reduce water wastage in your home, it will also keep your garden looking lush and tidy at all times. If you will be using the hose above the ground, you will find its flat design handy. The flat design of the product makes it rather easy to roll up for storage in tight spaces. You will also find the product tough enough to withstand years of demanding work, yet flexible enough to wind around plants.
While the 5-foot 2-pack is the commonest option, you can also buy the Melnor Flat Soaker Garden Hose in 25 and 75 feet length options. The fact that it is manufactured in the USA is a guarantee that it is of the best quality. Additionally, the product is backed by a 2-year warranty by the manufacturer.
4. Teknor Apex, 1030-100, Soil Soaker Hose – The Best 100 Feet Soaker HoseDo you find the 25, 50 and 75 feet soaker hoses inadequate for your garden? Then you need to buy the best 100 feet soaker hose, such as the Tecknor Apex, 1030-100 Soil Soaker Hose. With this product, you will get a decent flow rate. This may be attributed to its ½-inch diameter, which allows for adequate, even and deep soaker of the soil next to your plants.
Having been designed for underground installation, this soil soaker hose features one of the toughest vinyl constructions in the industry today. While this is the case, you will find the product very flexible and easy to wind around objects during installation.
For more secure connections, the product features E-Z Tite brass ABS Plastic couplings. In this regard, you can connect up to 400 feet of the hose and still maintain a good flow rate. The weeping pores on this product will deliver the water directly to the roots. This will, in turn, save up to 30 percent of water.
5. Gardener’s Supply Snip-n-Drip Soaker Hose System – Best for Custom WateringLooking forward to customize water application to your plants? Well, you should consider buying a customizable irrigation hose, such as the Gardener’s Supply Snip n Drip Soaker Hose system. This may sound a little bit complicated, but is so easy to do and does not require any specialized tools. Basically, you will only need to use a pair of scissors to cut the hose to fit your garden beds and in between beds.
Once installed, the hose uses weeping action to deliver an adequate amount of water directly to the plant roots. This, in turn, reduces evaporation and ground runoff on your garden. As compared to sprinklers, the hose has been proven to save more than 80 percent of water. The product may be used under a maximum water pressure of 10 psi.
Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Soaker Hose
If you are planting a garden at your home or already have one, irrigation will be an important task moving forward. Currently, there are several irrigation methods that may be used to water plants.
Unfortunately, not all of them are suited for your application. One of the best ways to go about it is to use the best soaker hose available today.
When using a conventional garden horse, you end up splashing water where it is not needed. Unlike traditional horses, soaker hoses will direct the water to the roots of the plant. As such, no water will be wasted while irrigating your plants.
Again, soaker hoses will help you irrigate the plants without getting the ground above muddy or watery. To achieve this, you need to buy the appropriate soaker garden hose and bury it below the ground, adjacent to the plants you would like to water.
In order for you to buy the right hose, here are certain aspects that you should consider, some of which are discussed below:
1. Hose Material
Since you are not planning to be buying a hose after every few months, you need one that is strong and durable. As such, you will need to consider the material of the hose. Different hose manufacturers today use different materials to make their soaker hoses. Some of the material commonly used to make these products include polyurethane and Vinyl.
Other manufacturers use recycled tires or food-safe polyurethane to make their hoses. With regards to strength and durability, soaker hoses made of recycled rubber are some of the best today. All in all, you will need a hose that is tough and durable, yet flexible enough to curve.
2. Pressure Rating
How much pressure can your preferred hose withstand without busting? This is another thing you need to worry about. In addition to being able to withstand high water pressure, the hose should work well under low pressure as well. Most of the leading soaker hoes in the market have a pressure of between 20 and 30 psi.
If your proffered hose cannot handle the pressure, it will burst or end up flooding the ground above. You do not want that, right? Therefore, it is advisable to check the pressure rating of the product on its packaging before buying it. If your home water pressure is about 50 psi and you have bought a 30 psi soaker hose, you will need to use it with a pressure reducer nozzle.
3. Length and Number of Holes
Before buying your hose, you first need to ascertain the length of the area you would like to use them on. Basically, the hose should be long enough to cover all the plants you are trying to irrigate. While ascertaining the right hose length, it is advisable to take into account the turn you will be making as well.
Both the flat and the round soaker hoses by different manufacturers come in different lengths. Some of the commonly available soaker hose length options include 25, 50, 75 and 100 feet. However, it is possible to connect adjacent soaker hoses to one another. To extend the length of your hose, you should unscrew its end cap and attaching the end of another hose to it.
This being the case, you should be worried about the number of pipes you will need to adequately cover the plants. In some cases, you may need to combine soaker hoses of different lengths to get a perfect cover of the area.
The number of holes punctured onto these pipes is not standard; some will have more holes than others. As for the number of holes, you should opt for the one that will give consistent and gentle drips.
4. Flow Rate
The leading experts in the industry recommend a flow rate of about 1 gallon per minute. This applies to every 100 feet segment of the soaker hose you are using. If you would like to buy the hoses that have a relatively low flow rate, you will have to limit the soaker segments to less than 100 feet.
Our Final Review
Watering needs may vary from one garden to another. One thing is clear though, you will need an effective, water efficient and easy to use irrigation system. To avoid water wastage through evaporation and surface runoff, you need to dispense the water directly to the plant roots.
To achieve this, you will need the best soaker hose available today. With so many hoses to choose from, you need to be very careful while shopping for the right one. As you have learnt throughout this guide, you need to consider such aspects as the flow rate, length, flexibility and durability of the product.
Regardless of your irrigation needs, this guide will help you choose the right soaker hose.