Many people rarely think much about the sharpness of their scissors.
Some may not even notice until they find it quite daunting to cut through something that should be easy. If your scissors lose its mojo, it is prudent to invest in a scissor sharpener.
To many, they prefer purchasing new scissors all together. However, this might not be that wise, as you will keep on purchasing new sets once it gets blunt. This can be costly.
Besides, scissor sharpeners are easy to use, affordable, and ascertain durability.
Of all, there is nothing better than one that will sharpen your scissors in a few seconds without much hassle.
Best Scissor Sharpeners 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Scissor Sharpeners 2019
- 2 1. The Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System – Best Overall Scissor Sharpener
- 3 2. The Smith’s Jiffy-Pro Handheld Sharpener – Best Sharpener for the Money
- 4 3. The Fiskars Desktop Universal Scissors Sharpener – Best Versatile Scissor Sharpener
- 5 4. The Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener – Best for Delicate Scissors
- 6 5. The Fiskars SewSharp Scissors Sharpener – Best for Regular Scissors
- 7 Things to Consider Before Buying a Scissor Sharpener
- 8 FAQs About Scissor Sharpeners
- 9 Our Final Take
|The Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System|
|The Smith’s Jiffy Pro Handheld Sharpener|
|The Fiskars Desktop Universal Scissors Sharpener|
|The Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener|
|The Fiskars SewSharp Scissors Sharpener|
1. The Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System – Best Overall Scissor SharpenerIf you are looking for a solid scissor sharpening option, consider the Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System. This is a perfect sharpener for those looking to salvage both their blunt knives and dull scissors.
Moreover, it is designed to work on nearly all kitchen appliances. It can be used by both right and left-handed people with much ease as well. Additionally, it is also ergonomically engineered to provide maximum control for a safe sharpening job.
More Features of this Sharpener
- Reliability – It can sharpen all kitchen appliances and can be used by both left-handed and right-handed people.
- Ease of use – Unlike other sharpening procedures, all you need to do for this professional scissor sharpener is to get the dull blade in place and strike in one direction only; do not move the sharpener backward and forward.
- Safety – It features a silicon handle with cushioned non-slip pads that provide optimum control when in use. The sharpener is also wide enough to be handled properly yet small and compact to fit in any kitchen drawer.
- Durability – The sharpener is built with stainless steel material for ascertained sturdiness. Additionally, it features diamond abrasives and a rubber handle which is perhaps everything you need for a durable sharpener.
- Kitchen professionality – It offers four sharpening stages with three materials for various levels of sharpness. This provides an assurance of the best knife sharpness from all levels of dullness. It works with butcher axes and other kinds of blades including chef’s blade, slicers, cleaver knives, and other serrated blades.
Overall, aside from scissor sharpening, the Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System is a perfect choice for any professional foodie or cooking lover. Manufacturers provide a 100% money back guarantee, too.
2. The Smith’s Jiffy-Pro Handheld Sharpener – Best Sharpener for the MoneyIf you are looking for a top-rated yet affordable scissor, consider the Smith’s Jiffy-Pro Handheld Sharpener. Manufacturers claim that this scissor sharpener can provide cutting-edge sharpness with just 3 to 5 pulls.
It features a soft grip handle, knuckle guard, and two-sharpening stages that works on all types of straight knives – be it coarse or fine.
Furthermore, its knife-sharpening slots incorporate crossed carbide blades that help in setting the edge on your blade and crossed ceramic rods that hone a razor sharpness.
Additionally, it also boasts an integrated scissor sharpener in the handle. This uses a patented floating carbide rod that adjusts to fit the precise levels of the blades. Plus, the sharpener can be used for maintaining an already sharp cutting edge.
Alongside that, it also has a soft rubber handle made from lightweight and durable plastic. Its compact size allows the sharpener to fit in your back pocket or backpack with ease as well.
Lastly, it can also be attached to the belt or pack due to the uniquely designed finger guard open at one end.
3. The Fiskars Desktop Universal Scissors Sharpener – Best Versatile Scissor SharpenerLike other top-notch models, the Fiskars Desktop Universal Scissors Sharpener is a good option for restoring blunt blades and scissors to cutting-edge states. You will like the handiness this tool provides when it comes to such restoration.
The sharpener features two slots which provide a solid positioning of the scissor for optimal blade sharpening. Besides that, manufacturers also boast that this product can easily sharpen both right-handed and left-handed scissors.
4. The Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener – Best for Delicate ScissorsIf you are searching for the best sewing scissor sharpener, consider the Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener. It’s a must-have tool for those relying on sharp scissors.
Using 100% diamond abrasives with built-in precision angle guides, it achieves professional scissor cutting edges. Hence, it works well on a wide variety of household scissors including delicate embroidery scissors, knife-edge shears, and even poultry shears.
Furthermore, using this sharpener is quite easy. No disassembly is required as it can be used for both left-handed and right-handed scissors.
Likewise, many previous users attest to the liking of its sturdy and compact design.
Additional features of the Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener include:
- Sharpens both knife-edge and conventional scissors.
- Suitable for household, kitchen, sewing, and craft scissors.
- Sharpens right and left-handed scissors.
- Features two-stage 100% diamond abrasives.
- Has precision guides for easy and foolproof results.
- Sharpens without the need of disassembling the scissors.
- Safe for quality scissors and doesn’t detemper on edges.
5. The Fiskars SewSharp Scissors Sharpener – Best for Regular ScissorsIf you are looking to sharpen your regular scissors, the Fiskars SewSharp Scissors Sharpener can be a great product of choice. Certainly, using a sharpener that delivers instant results is a great advantage.
The sharpener features a ceramic rod that restores the sharp edges of your scissors in a few passes. The plastic slots within the sharpener provide for easy positioning of the blade for optimal sharpening.
However, the greatest limitation of this sharpener is the fact that it is not designed for left-handed scissors, scissors with serrated blades, razor-edged scissors, and pinking shears.
Nonetheless, its consensus is that it is compact, it works great, and is very handy for basic use.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Scissor Sharpener
Buying the best scissor sharpener is of immense importance if you need to maintain your blades in good condition. Scissors are perfect for cutting string, paper, cardboard, price tags, and other basic household things. Basically, scissors have regular use.
Therefore, to save on cost, it is important that you always sharpen them instead of buying another pair. However, before making the purchase, it is prudent that you consider some factors.
Before looking at the various considerations, here is an outline of some of the alternative methods of sharpening scissors.
How to Sharpen Scissors
Below are some of the methods of sharpening scissors.
- Cutting through foil – Begin by folding a few layers of foil. You should then cut smoothly through the foil ensuring that the whole blade touches the foil as you cut. Repeat this several times and then check the sharpness. Repeat if need be.
- Cutting through sandpaper – Just like the foil, fold the sandpaper in half and ensure that the rough sides are facing out. This will ensure that the blade cuts through the rough sides as you cut.
- Cutting through steel wool – A pot cleaner can be used to sharpen scissors. You just need to cut through the wool several times. The steel wool is gentle enough to provide sharpening without causing damage.
Factors to Consider
As you can see, there are alternatives to scissor sharpening other than the above reviewed, but they’re not as hassle-free or as long-lasting as professional scissor sharpeners themselves.
However, you can’t just walk in a store unprepared. Therefore, before going through with buying scissor sharpeners, here are some factors to consider:
You should ensure that the sharpener of your choice is safe to use. This is partly contributed by how easy to use the sharpener is. Additionally, the best scissor sharpener should not have visible blades that can easily hurt fingers or hands when being used.
Moreover, you should also consider the sharpener’s design. This includes the shape and handle. Some handles may be quite flimsy.
How quick the sharpener takes to sharpen your scissor is a matter of great concern as well.
Blunt scissors slow the process of cutting. Hence, sharpeners come in handy by solving this issue. However, you would certainly not like a sharpener that requires a lot of swipes to sharpen your scissors.
Therefore, save yourself from strain and unnecessary time-consumption by ensuring your sharpener can finish the task within three or four swipes.
Scissor sharpeners come in different sizes and weights. A compact sharpener is not only convenient to use but also easy to carry around and store.
Price and Preferences
Prices of scissor sharpeners vary due to its features and other aspects. However, the most important thing is to determine if the sharpener will suit your needs.
For instance, versatile sharpeners that can be used for knives and other blades may cost more. Well-designed products also should certainly cost more. Therefore, if you need a sharpener for solely sharpening your scissors, you can be certain to get one at an affordable price.
FAQs About Scissor Sharpeners
Q: Can Fiskar scissors be sharpened?
Yes, they can be sharpened. They actually have their own sharpener under the same brand.
Q: How do you sharpen a scissor using a sharpener?
Usually, instructions come with the scissor sharpeners. If not, your best bet would be to do the sharpening on one angle or direction. That would be the direction away from you; it would be safer that way.
Q: What angle do you sharpen scissors?
Home scissors often need a 40 to 45-degree angle.
Q: Can I use a knife sharpener on scissors?
Yes, you can use a knife sharpener on scissors. Just be careful about how you do it. However, the best recommendation lies on the sharpeners on this list.
Our Final Take
Investing in a scissor sharpener is a prudent idea. Apart from saving on the cost of purchasing new scissors every time your old scissor gets blunt, the sharpeners can also be used in the kitchen and garden. They are a perfect way of saying goodbye to blunt blades and unreliable cutting edge.
With such importance, you should ensure that you buy a reliable and efficient product. The best scissor sharpener on the market should be effective, compact, safe, easy to use, and affordable.
From our top products above, which one is your favorite? Share with us below!