Many people rarely think much about the sharpness of their scissors. Some may not even notice until they find it quite daunting to cut through something that should be easy. If your scissors lose its mojo, it is prudent to invest in a scissor sharpener.
To many, they prefer purchasing new scissors all together. However, this might not be that wise, as you will keep on purchasing new sets once your old scissor gets blunt. This can be costly. Scissor sharpeners are easy to use, affordable and ascertain durability.
There are numerous scissor sharpener models available on the market currently. Of all, there is nothing better than one that will sharpen your scissors in few seconds without much hassle.
Well, to find such sharpeners, consider some of the products outlined in our scissor sharpener review below.
Best Scissor Sharpeners 2018
|The Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System|
|The Smith’s Jiffy Pro Handheld Sharpener|
|The Fiskars Desktop Universal Scissors Sharpener|
|The Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener|
|The Fiskars SewSharp Scissors Sharpener|
1. The Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System – Best Overall Scissor SharpenerIf you are looking for a solid scissor sharpening option, consider the Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System. This is a perfect sharpener for those looking to salvage their blunt knives and dull scissors. You’ll certainly love the effectiveness of this option.
This sharpening system is designed to work on nearly all kitchen appliances, keeping them as sharp as new. It can be used by both right and left-handed people with much ease. It is also ergonomically engineered to provide maximum control for a safe sharpening job.
Some of the outstanding features of the Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System include:
- Reliable – the sharpening system is overly reliable. You will certainly stop throwing away blunt scissors, shears and knives and save money. It repairs blunt and coarse sharp ends through fine sharpen. Besides, it is designed to fit all kitchen appliances and can be used by both right and left-handed people.
- Easy to use – using the Wamery sharpening system doesn’t require any professional knowledge. Like other sharpening procedures, all you need to do is get the dull blade or scissor in place and strike towards you. Strike in one direction only; do not move the sharpener backwards and forward.
- Safe – as mentioned, it is ergonomically engineered to ease its use. It features a silicon handle with cushioned non-slip pads that provide optimum control when in use. The sharpener is also wide enough to be handled properly yet small and compact to fit in any kitchen drawer.
- Durable – the sharpener is built with stainless steel material for ascertained sturdiness. It also features an ergonomic rubber handle and diamond abrasives, perhaps everything you need for a durable sharpener.
- Kitchen professional – the sharpener offers four sharpening stages with three materials for various levels of sharp. This provides an assurance of the best knife sharpness from all levels of dullness. The sharpener works with butcher axes and other kinds of blades including chef’s blade, slicers, cleaver knives and other serrated blades.
The Wamery Shears and Scissors Sharpening System is a perfect choice for any professional foodie, cooking lover or just for sharpening your scissors. Manufacturers provide a 100% money back guarantee, perhaps an assurance of risk-free purchase.
2. The Smith’s Jiffy-Pro Handheld Sharpener – Best Sharpener for the MoneyIf you are in the market for a top-rated yet affordable scissor, consider the Smith’s Jiffy-Pro Handheld Sharpener. Manufacturers claim that this scissor sharpener can provide cutting-edge sharpness with just 3 to 5 pulls.
The sharpener features a soft grip handle, knuckle guard and two-sharpening stages that works on all types of straight knives – be it coarse or fine. It is a good choice for premium abrasives for sharper blades.
The Smith’s Jiffy-Pro Handheld Sharpener is simple and dependable in all levels. It is a quick and safe to use and can be used at home, back during camping and other escapades. The knife sharpening slots incorporate crossed carbide blades that helps in setting the edge on your blade and crossed ceramic rods that hone the final edge to achieve a razor sharpness.
Apart from sharpening skinning knives expertly, this knife features an integrated scissor sharpener in the handle. This uses a patented floating carbide rod that adjusts to fit the precise levels of the blades. The sharpener can also be used for maintaining an already sharp cutting edge.
As mentioned, you will like the soft grip rubber handle that provides a firm and comfortable grip. To prevent weight surge, the handle is made from lightweight and durable plastic.
Its compact size allows the sharpener to fit in your back pocket or backpack with ease. It can also be attached to the belt or pack, thanks to the uniquely designed finger guard open at one end.
3. The Fiskars Desktop Universal Scissors Sharpener – Best Versatile Scissor SharpenerLike other top-notch models, the Fiskars Desktop Universal Scissors Sharpener is a good option for restoring blunt blades and scissors to cutting-edge states. You will like the handiness this tool provides when it comes to such restoration.
The sharpener feature two slots which provide a solid positioning of the scissor for optimal blade sharpening. Manufacturers also boast that this product can easily sharpen both right-handed and left-handed scissors. Its compact design makes it easy to use and store.
4. The Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener – Best for Delicate ScissorsIf you are searching for a reliable and safe sharpener for your delicate embroidery scissors, consider the Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener. This is a must-have tool for those relying on sharp scissors.
The sharpener works well on a wide variety of household scissors, including delicate embroidery scissors, knife-edge shears and to an extension poultry shears. It is a safe product to use for quality scissors without the common disadvantage of turning the scissors coarse.
Using the sharpener is quite easy. No disassembly required as it can be used for both left-handed and right-handed scissors. Many previous users attest the liking of its sturdy and compact design engineered to ease its use.
To achieve this, the Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener uses 100% diamond abrasives with built-in precision angle guides that help in achieving professional scissor cutting edges.
Additional features of the Chef’s Choice 500 ScissorPro Professional Scissor Sharpener include:
- Sharpens both knife-edge and conventional scissors.
- Suitable for household, kitchen, sewing and craft scissors.
- Sharpens exceptionally right and left-handed scissors.
- Features two-stage 100% diamond abrasives.
- Has precision guides for easy and foolproof results.
- Sharpens without the need of disassembling the scissors.
- Safe for quality scissors and doesn’t detemper on edges
5. The Fiskars SewSharp Scissors Sharpener – Best for Regular ScissorsIf you are looking to sharpen your regular scissors, the Fiskars SewSharp Scissors Sharpener can be a great product of choice. For sure, using a sharpener that delivers instant results especially when sharpening scissors is important. The compactness of this tool is a great advantage.
The sharpener features a ceramic rod that restores the sharp edges of your scissors in a few passes. The plastic slots within the sharpener provide for easy positioning of the blade for optimal sharpening.
Perhaps the greatest limitation of this sharpener is the fact that it is not designed for left-handed scissors, scissors with serrated blades, razor-edged scissors and pinking shears. Nonetheless, its consensus is that it works great, very handy and compact.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Scissor Sharpener
Buying a good scissor sharpener is of immense importance if you need to maintain your blades in good condition. Scissors are perfect for cutting string, paper, cardboard, price tags, strings and other basic household stuff. Basically, scissors have regular use.
Therefore, to save on cost, it is important that you always sharpen them instead of buying another pair. However, before making the purchase, it is prudent that you consider some factors.
Before looking at the various considerations, it is important that we outline some of the alternative methods of sharpening scissors.
How to Sharpen Scissors
Below are some of the methods of sharpening scissors.
- Cutting through foil – begin by folding a few layers of foil. You should then cut smoothly through the foil ensuring that the whole blade touches the foil as you make the cut. Repeat this several times then check the sharpness. Repeat if need be.
- Cutting through sandpaper – just like the foil, fold the sandpaper in half ensuring that the rough sides are on the outwards. This will ensure that the blade cuts through the rough sides as you cut.
- Cutting through steel wool – this can be quite surprising, but it works. A pot cleaner can be used to sharpen scissors. You just need to cut through the wool several times. The steel wool is gentle enough to provide sharpening while not causing damage.
Factors to consider
You should ensure that the scissor sharpener of your choice is safe to use. This is partly contributed by how easy to use the sharpener is. The best sharpener should not have sharp visible blades that can easily hurt fingers or hands when being used.
Additionally, you should also consider the sharpener’s design. This includes the shape and handle. Some handles may be quite flimsy and can easily slip over causing harms.
How quick the sharpener takes to sharpen your scissor is a matter of great concern. Blunt scissors slow the process of cutting. This is why sharpeners come in handy by solving this issue. However, you would certainly not like a sharpener that requires a lot of swipes to sharpen your scissors.
Such a sharpener will not only be time consuming but also straining to use. You should, therefore, ensure that you go for an efficient sharpener that achieves this task as fast as possible, within three or four swipes.
Scissor sharpeners come in all manner of sizes and weights. A compact sharpener is not only convenient to use but also easy to carry around and store. This will make it easy to carry and use the sharpener in any place. Nonetheless, ensure that the sharpener is small yet effective.
Prices of scissor sharpeners vary perhaps due to its features and other aspects. But of immense importance is getting to understand if the sharpener will suit your needs. This indirectly determines the valuation of the item.
For instance, versatile sharpeners that can be used for knives and other blades may cost more. Well-designed products also should certainly cost more. Therefore, if you need a sharpener for solely sharpening your scissors, you can be certain to get one at an affordable price.
Investing in a scissor sharpener is a prudent idea. Apart from saving on the cost of purchasing new scissors every time your old scissor gets blunt, sharpeners can also be used in other myriads of tasks at home, kitchen and garden. They are a perfect way of saying goodbye to blunt blades and unreliable cutting edge.
With such importance, you should ensure that you buy a reliable and efficient product. The best scissor sharpener on the market should probably be effective, compact, safe, easy to use and doesn’t break your bank. You can find one in either of our products outlined above.
From our top products above, which one is your favorite? Share with us below!