It is a fact that breastfeeding is not only beautiful but also healthy for you as the mother and your baby. However, it can be a little bit messy. This is where the best reusable nursing pads come in!
The messy part being common milk leaks that occur when breast release milk when you are not nursing (Source).
Milk leaks can occur if you hear another baby crying or when your breasts get overly full, especially if you haven’t nursed in a while. Milk leaks are not embarrassing but also can ruin and increase the amount of weekly laundry.
Leakage is also a personal thing, with some leaking little and others experiencing a heavy letdown. Breast milk, if you didn’t know, can permanently damage finer materials.
Therefore, if you have a baby to clothe and feed, spending more money on your wardrobe malfunctions is the last thing you may want to do.
That said, if you want to kick out the embarrassment as well as avoid damaging your clothes, consider buying some nursing pads. These pads are stuck into the bra to soak up the leaking liquid. Through this, they keep your nipples and clothes dry.
Nursing pads are available in two types. They can be either reusable or disposable. Well, our review today outlines some top-rated reusable nursing pads you can get buy.
The Best Reusable Nursing Pads
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Reusable Nursing Pads
- 2 1. Bamboobies Super-Soft Washable Nursing Pads – Best Overall
- 3 2. EcoNursing Washable Organic Nursing Pads – Organic Nursing Pads
- 4 3. Baby Zeli’s Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads – Machine Washable
- 5 4. BabyBliss Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads – Best for Countered Fit
- 6 5. Lansinoh Soothies Gel Nursing Pads – Best for Mothers with Engorgement and Constant Pain
- 7 Things to Consider Before Buying Reusable Nursing Pads
- 8 Tips For Using Reusable Nursing Pads
- 9 FAQ’s About Reusable Nursing Pads
- 10 Start Using Nursing Pads
|Bamboobies Super-Soft Washable Nursing Pads|
|EcoNursing Washable Organic Nursing Pads|
|Baby Zeli’s Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads|
|BabyBliss Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads|
|Lansinoh Soothies Gel Nursing Pads|
1. Bamboobies Super-Soft Washable Nursing Pads – Best OverallIf you are looking for unbeatable convenience that lacks in the disposable nursing pads, consider the Bamboobies Super-Soft Washable Nursing Pads.
They not only save on money but also are eco-friendly and sustainable. This product is soft on the skin while naturally being antibacterial and antimicrobial.
The pack of these nursing pads comes with three pairs of regular pads and three overnight pads in various soft pastel colors. They can be hand washed but should preferably be laundered in a washing machine and dried with a dryer.
Unlike the common circular pads, the Bamboobies Super-Soft Washable Nursing Pads are ultra-thin and less visible through the shirt/top. You will also not feel clammy when the pads get wet.
They are ideal for light leaking, and less visibility as the milk-proof backing eliminates the potential embarrassment in a timely manner.
As for the overnight pads, they are made for heavy leaking while maintaining their soft appeal, with no clammy feeling when wet. It absorbs overnight and prevents leaks. Perhaps what makes this product outstanding is their make.
They are made of ultra-soft and overly soothing cotton and bamboo rayon with an inner layer of cotton and hemp. When new, these nursing pads are soft to touch but seems to get softer with repeated washing.
2. EcoNursing Washable Organic Nursing Pads – Organic Nursing PadsThe EcoNursing Washable Organic Nursing Pads are not only good for the mother but also the baby and the environment.
They are made of organic bamboo, that includes two different types of pads –thicker round pads ideal for heavier leaks commonly occurring at night and thin, heart-shaped pads for lighter leaks.
The main aim of having discrete shaped pads, according to manufacturers, was to make both new and experienced mothers feel secure when using them. Organic bamboo, the material that makes these pads, are known to be more absorbent and softer more than cotton and other disposable pads.
EcoNursing Washable Organic Nursing Pads also have a protective outer layer that provides assurance of maximum leak protection both during the day and at night. This makes them a good choice for use by exclusively pumping and nursing mothers.
Judging from its name, they are hypoallergenic and come with a storage bag for portability reasons. They also use a leak-proof backing to eliminate the possible embarrassment for nursing mothers. This multi-pack comes in four varying colors that are machine and dryer friendly.
3. Baby Zeli’s Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads – Machine WashableUnlike other nursing pads on the market, the Baby Zeli’s Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads come in a pack of 5 that are machine washable and include a laundry bag.
This makes it easy to spot the pads when sifting through your clothes in the machine. These pads are made to withstand dryer trips, so you won’t have to wait for the pads to air dry.
They also come in various colors including white, cream, pink, gray and yellow, so you will certainly find something that fits your taste. Just like bras, selecting nursing pads is more of preference than performance. What may fit one mother may not necessarily contour well to another mother’s breast.
Made from organic materials, they are hypoallergenic with a waterproof layer that helps in preventing leaks. You will like how the Baby Zeli’s Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads material feels breathable when put on.
4. BabyBliss Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads – Best for Countered FitThe BabyBliss Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads is one of the best organic pads available currently on the market.
Manufacturers of these pads mirrored the smoothness of baby’s skin to provide maximum comfort as well as protect your breasts from abrasions and chafing.
These pads are well priced and available in multiple colors. Therefore, you can choose from the wide array, ensuring that it doesn’t shine through the bra. These pads are small in size making concealing much easier.
Since they are quite thicker, they are perfect to be used at nighttime, besides the better absorption it provides. The organic material eliminates the possible risks of allergies that may occur with other materials. Washing is also simple but needs to be done thoroughly.
When purchasing the BabyBliss Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads, you will get a handkerchief, organza bag, and a washbag. This makes them easy to wash and eliminates the worries of losing one.
Manufacturers also offer a 100% money back guarantee for those who aren’t satisfied with these pads.
5. Lansinoh Soothies Gel Nursing Pads – Best for Mothers with Engorgement and Constant PainMothers suffering from constant pain and breast engorgement will certainly love the Lansinoh Soothies Gel Nursing Pads.
These pads can be heated up and cooled down to bring some relieve the tender breast area. That makes them suitable for different temperatures.
The fabric used in making these nursing pads are extremely soft. It comes with an added gel layer that aids in making sure that your breasts are protected from constant abrasion and friction.
Lansinoh Soothies Gel Nursing Pads are also approved to be BPA free, meaning that they will not harm your baby or your breast. Their size also makes them easy to conceal under your bra when heading out.
Things to Consider Before Buying Reusable Nursing Pads
The best bet is finding a pad that helps in avoiding embarrassments in public without trying out different brands. It pays to learn a lot about nursing pads, some exceptional features, pros and cons of the various types before purchasing one.
This helps you narrow down your choices to one that suits you. Well, some of the features to consider when searching for reusable nursing pads are outlined below.
Nursing Pad Fit
The fit of various pads directly affects comfort. For those who leak heavily, they will have them on nearly all day round.
Therefore, they will need to find a comfortable pair that isn’t hot or scratchy. Too big pads may cause major discomfort or embarrassment when putting on.
Nothing is certainly embarrassing and stressful to a nursing mother than having a leakage to deal with. For sure, leaking can be controlled with time as your breasts adapt to the baby’s feeding habits.
However, for the time being, it is prudent to measure your flow and invest in pads that have the capability of absorbing your flow. This saves you from potential embarrassment.
Nursing Pads Material
As mentioned before, you might end up wearing these pads for the better part of your day. Therefore, it is important that you go for softer fabric made pads. They will keep your delicate skin healthy and prevent potential allergies. The pad materials also determine if the pads will fit your breast’s cup size. Note that pads made from plastic may cause discomfort to the nipples.
There are a few types of gel-filled pads on the market to choose from. These brands are best for those who overfill a lot on a regular basis.
The reusable nursing pads can be heated up and cooled down as needed. This is a good way to alleviate some soreness that results from nipple engorgement or overfull breasts. Look for gel-filled pads for best results.
Other Factors to Consider
Be sure to take into consideration all of these things when you are making your purchase. Other factors to be considered include:
- Staying power – mothers will definitely want a bra that stays in place to avoid leaks. Some have a sticky back that sticks to the bra while others have large enough fibers that cling to the bra.
- Absorbency – you definitely won’t want to use unreliable pads that can leave wet patches on your top. Instead, go for nursing pads that provide great absorbency to keep dry.
- Discreteness – thin options are best if you don’t want to look like you have two-cloth stick on the bra. However, remember that the thinner the option, the more absorbency your sacrifice.
- Price – different products come at different price tags. Low priced nursing pads may be a bargain at times but may work excellently.
Tips For Using Reusable Nursing Pads
This may take some time and practice, especially if you have never used nursing pads before. Here are a few useful tips on how to use reusable nursing pads:
- Make sure that your nipples are dry and clean when using reusable nursing pads.
- If you are one of those mothers who prefer using a nipple cream, spread it out in a thin layer before using reusable nursing pads.
- Make sure the backing is positioned against your breasts, whereas your nipples are dead center.
- Once you’ve brought a bra near your breast, press the breast that is covered by a pad in the bra cup.
- Place the nursing pad into the bra cup so that it is positioned comfortably and properly. A padded, thick bra can help in concealing the bulk of a reusable.
FAQ’s About Reusable Nursing Pads
Q: When Do I Need to Start Wearing Reusable Nursing Pads?
A: Some women have a problem with leaking colostrum – the secretion rich in antibodies from the mammary glands. It usually occurs in late pregnancy. Yet the majority of women do not have any breastfeeding issue with leaking breast milk after giving birth.
Your milk is going to come in right away following birth. This is why you should always bring a few nursing pads with you after giving birth. Put them in your bag to be prepared for the labor when needed.
While in the hospital, you will not have to worry about leaky breasts. However, this could be a big problem when you start to wear regular clothes again, as it can stain your outfit. The last thing you want is to have trouble with leaking in a public place.
Q: Can the Reusable Nursing Pad Cause Thrush?
A: Unfortunately, yes. Heavy “leakers” who often wear wet nursing pads close to their skin are more likely to develop thrush. That’s why it is important to keep yourself as clean and dry to reduce thrush risk. If you are one of those women, consider switching out reusable nursing pads for disposables that are more hygienic.
Be sure to treat these disposables as you’d any cloth diapers – use hot water, minimal detergent, and white vinegar to disinfect them. It is also a good idea to use softener on your reusable nursing pads to hinder absorption.
Q: Can I Wear Reusable Nursing Pads Throughout the Day?
A: If you leak just a little bit, you can change your pads only once a day. Nevertheless, it is always advisable to frequently change nursing pads to prevent them from soaking through and causing irritation.
How often? Well, you should change them at least twice a day to avoid problems.
Start Using Nursing Pads
Reusable nursing pads come with plenty of benefits. For starters, they are an eco-friendly option as well as wallet-friendly. Despite each pad costing much more than disposable ones, you will be saving money in the long run.
These options are also organic, hypoallergenic and soft, thus less likely to irritate your chafed nipples.
Their only inconvenience comes in where you will need to wash them every time, with some smelling like spoilt milk. This is why you will need several pairs, especially if you don’t want to do regular laundry.
When looking out to purchase reusable nursing pads, ensure that they are not visible, comfortable, easy to wear and provide an unmatching level of comfort. This will enable you to enjoy your post-partum experience as a nursing mother.
We have highlighted some of the best products on the market in our list. Which one do you think can be a good choice for you? Share with us in the comments section below.