Do you have a rainwater collection system in your home? The best thing with rainwater is that it is very clean and free of chemicals which might be harmful to your health.
Therefore, you need to install the right equipment that will help you collect 100% of rainwater. Some of the materials you need are a rain barrel, hose and a rain barrel diverter.
A rain barrel diverter helps to direct water from the downspout to the rain barrel.
Some diverters are designed in a way that enables them to redirect water back to the downspout when the barrel is full. This ensures that your home foundation is protected from damages that might occur due to overflow (Source).
Rain barrel diverters come in different sizes and design which makes it hard to determine the best. In this article, we shall review top rated rain barrel diverters you can find today.
Top 5 Rain Barrel Diverters In 2018
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Rain Barrel Diverters In 2018
- 2 1. EarthMinded DIY Plastic Barrel Conversion – Best Overall
- 3 2. Oatey 14209 Mystic Rainwater Collection System – Best for Budget
- 4 4. Gardeners Supply Downspout Diverter, White – Most Affordable
- 5 5. Great America Rain Barrel Save the Rain Water Metal Diverter – Most Effective
- 6 Factors You Should Consider When Buying a Rain Barrel Diverter
- 7 Our Verdict
|EarthMinded DIY Plastic Barrel Conversion|
|Oatey 14209 Mystic Rainwater Collection System|
|Inline Downspout Diverter for Rain Barrels|
|Gardeners Supply Downspout Diverter|
|Great America Rain Barrel|
1. EarthMinded DIY Plastic Barrel Conversion – Best OverallIf you are searching for the best rain barrel diverter, EarthMinded DIY plastic barrel conversion might be what you are looking for. It comes with everything you would require to make your rainwater collection system in your home. For those who love DIY, this kit is just fantastic.
The best thing about this kit is that it comes with gaskets, circular saw blades, drill parts, hose clamp fittings and spigots and also a clear guide on how to install the rain barrel diverter into a rain barrel. Additionally, it has a manual to guide you on how to set the rain barrel in all plastic barrels. It is suitable for standard 3” X4” downspouts.
Another thing is that it prevents entry of pests’ mosquitoes and algae from entering into the barrel. It is easy to remove from the downspout and it also features a winterizing hole cover.
During winter or any other time you would like to disconnect it from the rain barrel, you can use the plug provided to enable the downspout to function as required. Another thing is that when the rain barrel is full, this diverter can change the direction of the water to a downspout.
2. Oatey 14209 Mystic Rainwater Collection System – Best for BudgetOatey 14209 has a very simple design but it is very efficient. The fitting is made of plastic and it comes with a 4-inch hose which directs rainwater from the downspout to your rain barrel. It is straightforward to install and also affordable. In addition, it is made up of Ultra Violet resistant PVC which is easy to paint.
Unlike others, it features a blocker which is located inside the plastic downspout fitting which enables the water to move from the diverter hose and not directly to the downspout.
If your rain barrel is sealed, water moves from the hose and runs down automatically to the downspout when the barrel is full. You should have an overflow protection system on the barrel if it is not sealed. You can also drill a hole to create a sealed connection.
You can also disable the diverter temporarily using the plug provided. The plug prevents water from flowing from the flexible hose.
However, it may not be easy to choose a color that matches with your gutters. The best thing to do is to select any color and paint according to your needs.
Unlike others, this one divides the downspouts into two paths. One directs the rainwater into the rain barrel and the other one directs the rainwater down to the downspout. It also features a lever which you can use to adjust the flow of water to the barrel. You can put full flow to the downspout or full discharge into the rain barrel.
However, the diverter does not have an automatic overflow protection system. Therefore, you should ensure that your rain barrel has an overflow hole and also a hose which directs water to other water containers. You will also note that it is more expensive than others.
4. Gardeners Supply Downspout Diverter, White – Most AffordableGardeners Supply Downspout diverter is a simple plastic that is attached to a standard metal downspout. It is available in two colors which are green and white. This diverter helps in directing water into a rain barrel or any water container. It is effortless to install and all you need is a power drill. It comes with a hose which directs water from the downspout to the rain barrel.
If you are using a rain barrel which doesn’t have a hole where you can connect the hose, this diverter comes with a manual which guides you on how to drill a hole and then attach the hose.
The only problem with this diverter is that it limits the downspout flow and during heavy rains. It can also cause overflows when winter melts or during heavy rains. You should keep checking the downspout connected to the diverter to ensure that it is functioning as required.
5. Great America Rain Barrel Save the Rain Water Metal Diverter – Most EffectiveThis one comes with a unique design as compared to others. It is inserted into the downspout where it reroutes water from the downspout to the rain barrel. The diverter is available in two different sizes. The smaller diverter measures 3” X 2.5” Inches while the larger one measures 4 X 3 Inches.
The best thing with this diverter is that it is very easy to install in either 2 X 3 Inch downspouts or 3 X 4 Inches downspouts. You can also close it and use it as a standard downspout. The diverter channel is about 7 inches from the downspout when it is open.
If you are searching for a diverter which can direct 100% of rainwater into your rain barrel, this one might be what you require. It is made of galvanized steel and you can paint it to match the color of your gutters. It works well with rain barrels which have overflow protection.
Factors You Should Consider When Buying a Rain Barrel Diverter
- Easy to install – Rain barrel diverters comes in different designs. Some are easy while others are not. Irrespective of the design, ensure the diverter you choose is easy to install.
- Material –A good diverter should be made of sturdy and durable materials. The material should be able to withstand heavy rains.
- Price – The price of diverters vary from one product to another. This is because they are made of different materials and are available in various designs. Others come with additional accessories to make them easier to install. Make sure you the diverter you choose will last for a long time irrespective of price.
- Overflow control – Before installing a diverter, ensure the rain barrel has an overflow control system. If not, ensure the diverter can reroute water to the downspout when the barrel is full. This will ensure that your home foundation is protected from the damages that might result due to overflow.
- Design – Diverters comes in different designs to match your downspout. There are rectangular and circular downspouts. When buying, you should choose a design that matches your downspout. They also come in different sizes to enable you to select the best size for your downspout.
Why Do You Need a Rain Barrel Diverter?
- Clean water– The best thing with most barrel diverters is that they have a filter which prevents dirt and debris from getting into the rain barrel. These filters also prevent bacteria and other harmful microorganisms from getting into the rain barrel. This helps to protect you from diseases caused by these microorganisms.
- Gives you options on where to place the barrel – Another thing with rain barrel diverters is that you can decide where you want to put the barrel since they can be installed anywhere. It is not a must you set the rain barrel underneath the downspout since most of them come with a hose which connects the downspout with the barrel.
- It provides options on how to connect the downspout with the barrel – You can connect the diverter hose with the barrel according to your preference. For example, you might decide that you want to use the top if your barrel for planters or tabletop. This means that instead of connecting the hose from the top of a barrel, you can connect it from the side.
- It is easy to connect and disconnect – The best thing with rain barrel diverters are easy to detach. This means when the rain barrel is full, you can unplug it and direct the water to a different location.
As you have learned from this article, rain barrel diverters are very important. The best thing is that most of them are affordable and easy to install. Another thing is that they allow you to set the rain barrel anywhere since most of them come with a hose which connects the barrel to the downspout.
However, there are some cheap diverters in the market which are not durable. Others are not strong enough and can’t withstand heavy rains. If you are searching for the best diverter, check the materials used to make the diverter.
The material should be strong and should last for a long time. You should also look for a diverter that is easy to install.
Regardless of your preference, we hope that this guide will help you to determine the best rain barrel diverter for your home.