Most juniors and sophomores need to take PSAT as they prepare for their SAT.
However, even as PSAT isn’t a college admission test, there is need to actually prepare for it. PSAT prep can strongly come in handy, especially if you hope to nab a scholarship or get a high score in your SAT (Source).
PSAT is the gateway for scoring high in your SAT. This test gives you an early sense of what to expect and the content areas you need to strengthen, strategies and approaches that will work well as you prepare for the main exam.
With the different books available on the market, it may be quite daunting to decide which one to choose. There are several options, guides and companies to choose from. They have a big say on your future.
Well, the right book should guide you on the right areas to revise and read on. It should also give insights on how SAT exams are structured and the best way to answer them.
Below are some of the best PSAT prep books on the market.
Best PSAT Prep Books 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best PSAT Prep Books 2019
- 2 1. Barron’s Strategies and Practice PSAT Prep Book – Best for Students Looking for Additional PSAT Tests
- 3 2. Cracking the PSAT/NMSQT PSAT Prep Book – Best for Students Brushing up on PSAT Prep
- 4 3. Barron’s 1520 PSAT Prep Book – Best for Those Looking for National Merit
- 5 4. PSAT Exam Secrets Study Guide – Most Detailed PSAT Exam Prep Book
- 6 5. Kaplan PSAT/NMSQT Prep PSAT Prep Book – Best One-Stop PSAT Prep Book
- 7 Things to Consider Before Buying PSAT Prep Book
- 8 Our Final Thoughts
|Barron’s Strategies and Practice PSAT Prep Book|
|Cracking the PSAT/NMSQT PSAT Prep Book|
|Barron’s 1520 PSAT Prep Book|
|PSAT Exam Secrets Study Guide|
|Kaplan PSAT/NMSQT Prep PSAT Prep Book|
1. Barron’s Strategies and Practice PSAT Prep Book – Best for Students Looking for Additional PSAT TestsThe Best for Students Looking for Additional PSAT Tests is hands down the best book to prepare for your exams. It is not as thick as other review books but doesn’t need to be any bigger. This is because you wouldn’t want to spend much time on things you already know.
Like other prep books, this book comprises the usual tips, strategies, and tricks for specific sections of an exam. Whereas these tips are very useful, you probably know most of them by now.
The 2 full practice exams are the true outstanding part of Best for Students Looking for Additional PSAT Tests. Going through these two exams enables you to understand the feel of the SAT exam truly. When doing these exams, it is good to practice using real test timing. With this, you will get to know how fast or slow you should work on the various sections of the test for a better score.
Most students find themselves finishing the math section quickly, but struggle with reading sections. For sure, everyone is different. Therefore, practicing the exam is a great way to figure out what and where you should improve on.
Before finally sitting on the SAT, consider going through the various sample questions, practice the passages in the book and work on the practice exams. This is a proven way of learning and improving your test scores.
2. Cracking the PSAT/NMSQT PSAT Prep Book – Best for Students Brushing up on PSAT PrepDespite being nearly double the number of pages our first book has, the Best for Students Brushing up on PSAT Prep isn’t great for building up a high score, but better for those brushing up their prep. It covers the basic and ideal areas you ought to have already known.
Like our first model, it comes with 2 practice exams with questions of highly mixed difficulty. So to say, some are easier compared to the real exams while others are quite harder.
This implies that if you don’t understand or have a good baseline of how long each section should take, you might end up running out of time. the exam also features tips for answering each question, general time management tips and general exam taking strategies. This might or might not be useful, depending on who you are.
3. Barron’s 1520 PSAT Prep Book – Best for Those Looking for National MeritIf you are looking for a book to help you get some national merit, consider the Barron’s 1520 PSAT Prep Book. This book created by Barron is the best you can get to get a perfect score on PSAT.
This is one of the new PSAT prep books that students can buy on a budget. It contains various practice exercises and tests that are more than enough to fill the student’s busy agenda.
The book’s content is very detailed thus allowing students to be able to cover nearly everything that you may need for exams. It is comprehensive enough to be used solely. The other intriguing feature is the varying difficulty level of questions.
The practice questions are additionally tough enough to help students get the clinch of what they are expected from them in PSAT. It also allows them to breeze through the final SAT exam.
Using the Barron’s 1520 PSAT Prep Book is a clear reflection of the SAT experience. The question’s difficulty level is similar to the actual exam, thus helps students manage expectations thus allowing for an effective and efficient SAT test-taking experience.
This book also has an optional CD-ROM that has two practice exams graded with answer rationales for students. Students also access the study advice and various important testing tips that help them improve on their score within a short period. There are different strategies provided for each exam module.
4. PSAT Exam Secrets Study Guide – Most Detailed PSAT Exam Prep BookWhereas the PSAT Exam Secrets Study Guide isn’t as popular as some of the PSAT prep books on our list, it is one of the most detailed exams prep book you can buy. The book comes with a detailed guide that helps students do well on their first attempt.
Perhaps the key feature of this prep book is the detailed explanation of what PSAT exams is all about and what you should expect from it. The book also has sections and dissects all the information that students need for them to succeed.
Most students will attest to the fact that math is where they spend much of their time during the tests. Well, if you fall into this category, worry no more. The book focuses more on the math section and gives students some strategies to make the most from their exam.
PSAT Exam Secrets Study Guide has all the vital information comprising of the concepts and processes required by PSAT and final SAT exam. The book also focuses on the vocabulary, writing and language portion of your write-up.
In overall, this is the book you will need to master before sitting for your exams. Its practice tests are highly technical and accurate with concise information that isn’t much difficult to understand. The practice questions are also sufficiently difficult to help students build the confidence they need to sit for an exam.
5. Kaplan PSAT/NMSQT Prep PSAT Prep Book – Best One-Stop PSAT Prep BookThe Kaplan PSAT/NMSQT Prep PSAT Prep Book is one of the best PSAT prep books you can use to prepare for any upcoming PSAT exam. This book does not only have wealth with study content that covers all the relevant content but also provides important strategies and hints.
The most important part of the book is the summary of the key concepts and practice tests that come in handy for those looking to build their confidence in PSAT. This section is essential for those who have already prepared and looking to do some brushing up.
The book opens up with a description of PSAT and outlines some testing techniques that have proven helpful to students before. The second section is a close examination of the main subjects including mathematics, reading and writing sections.
The best feature of the Kaplan PSAT/NMSQT Prep PSAT Prep Book is that it focuses on each section and provides strategies for each as well as adequate practice materials for all the sections. The answers to the test questions are also shared in the book enabling students to compare their answers with those provided.
Things to Consider Before Buying PSAT Prep Book
As mentioned before, PSAT books are ideal to help students make the most from their study time and sharpen their knowledge and test-taking skills.
Well, some of the things you should consider before settling on one of the books include the following;
PSAT Book Details
Before purchasing a prep book, it is good to check the book details. Such information provides an outline of the contents of the prep book, and what students should expect.
It also gives some tips on the best way to use the book to help students achieve the highest possible score.
PSAT Book Sections
A good PSAT prep book should have various sections. All these sections should play a role in the overall success of the student. Some of the vital sections any PSAT prep book should have includes the following;
- Studying and test-taking strategies – any book with this section guides students on how they should study for the test. It also provides tips on the various types of questions common in tests. Some prep books go beyond this, offering advice on how to tackle tough questions and ways of approaching different question formats.
- Test section – here, students get more insights on what to expect in individual test categories. For instance, most books have chapters on math, English and other problems that you can find on the PSAT.
- Practice tests – a book with practice test is overly important. It allows students to check on their knowledge as well as progress as they prepare for the PSAT. The best book should have several tests and details on how to handle them.
- Answers and explanations – this is the last but overly important section of any PSAT prep book. A good book should provide answers to the practice questions present to help students assess if they got the questions right. The prep book should also contain detailed explanations about the answers.
PSAT Prep Book Price
This is yet another essential factor to consider when searching for prep books. Despite the dire need to pass, you wouldn’t want to break the bank getting this book. There are user-friendly and affordable prep books to expensive books.
Inexpensive books are available for less than ten dollars while expensive and in-depth books will require that you part with several dollars.
Our Final Thoughts
Besides finding the best PSAT book, knowing how to use them effectively is overly important. It is of immense importance to build a unified study system if you have multiple prep books. Note that there are several prep methods available, and book studying is one of them.
PSAT prep books are a cheaper option compared to using alternative options such as programs and tutors. That said, consider an inexpensive prep book that comes with all you need. Ensure that the book has all the necessary sections, easy to use and understand.
In conclusion, if you are preparing for an SAT exam, which of the best PSAT prep books outlined above could you pick? Share with us in the comments section below.
Also, check out our guides for MP3 Players for Audiobooks out there!