If you’re in pursuit of a mid-sized 2-1/4-Horsepower router, the Porter-Cable 892 should be a good choice for you. Offered as one of the latest Porter-Cable’s entries, this fixed-base router is excellent for all-around use.
The Porter-Cable 892 nicely compromises between the small trim routers and the robust 3 HP options. This easy-to-use device is powerful enough to tackle most wood tasks. With a soft-starting 12 Amp motor, it can get the job done just fine.
From variable-speed control to dual-position switch, it has all the features you’d ever need to complete your tasks.
The router is great for professional woodworking projects. Even if you don’t have many woodworking projects to complete, you’ll still get a lot of benefits using this machine.
Whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or a professional looking to begin with advanced wood projects, this tool will suit your needs. It will help you make changes in depth of cut and much more. Use it with a router table to double its usefulness.
Go ahead and check out our Porter-Cable 892 Router review before making up your mind.
Porter-Cable 892 Router Specs
Table of Contents
- Power Source: Corded-electric
- Color: Gray
- Style: Router
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Horsepower: 2.25
- Motor: 12 Amp
- Speed: 10,000 – 23,000 rpm
- Dimensions: 12.13 x 7.38 x 11.5 inches
- Weight: 12.56 pounds
- Manufacturer warranty: 3-year limited
Porter-Cable 892 Router Features
- Variable-speed powerful motor (10,000-23,000 rpm): The Porter Cable 892 is equipped with a robust 2-1/4 HP 12 amp motor. It provides enough power for most wood tasks and other jobs you’re looking to tackle. You will get full-time electronic feedback.
- Soft start: This feature is intended to prevent the router from turning or twisting in the hands and minimize torque at the same time. It comes in handy when using the machine freehand. Besides, the soft start can extend motor life by reducing wear and strain.
- Router bit size: It comes with 1/2″ and 1/4″ collets for greater flexibility. You will have the choice to select the shank diameter depending on the bit size and your project.
- Dual-position switch: Thanks to this useful feature, you will be able to lower power during cutting. It also makes it easy to maintain control of this router at all times. Grab the rubber-coated handles with both hands and have full control over the machine.
- Overmolded grips: You will have greater safety and comfort when working with the router over an extended period of time. The router comes with a GripVac base.
- Spindle lock: This feature allows for bit changes. Simply loosen the collet using a single wrench. There is also a cam lever that enables you to release motor and make depth adjustments quickly.
Safety Tips on How to Use Porter-Cable 892
Set the optimal cutting speed according to the nature and complexity of your routine tasks. The variable-speed motor allows you to adjust the speed based on the material you are working with and avoid the hazard.
As the smaller the bit, the faster the speed can be. On the other hand, you should reduce the cutting speed when working with larger bits. By running large cutters at high speeds, you’ll increase the risks of burning the stock.
As a rule of thumb, you need to go for the larger shank diameter whenever possible. This will ensure that the cutter doesn’t vibrate. Remember that excessive vibrations of the router bits can result in poor cuts.
As it turns out, 1/2″ shank bits are not only more durable but also less prone to bending under loads. This shank size allows for a greater selection of bits. So pick the larger diameter whenever you’ve got the choice.
Bear in mind that this router is a powerful machine that develops heat during use. This is especially true when it is used enclosed it in a router table. So, ensure adequate ventilation to prevent the motor from overheating and keep it cool.
Our Feedback & Reviews
If you aren’t still convinced with our Porter-Cable 892 Router Review, check the user reviews. To save you the hassle of weeding through online reviews, we’ll summarize user sentiment on this product.
- Problems with a safety mechanism: The mechanism that lowers and raises the motor tends to reset, so it should be switched back on after every use. This could be a total pain when mounting the unit in a router table, as you need to unlock the lever while reaching beneath the table.
- The rubber handles suck: While the hard rubber is great, the handles are prone to twisting. They can be screwed down with a large hex screw. However, you won’t get sufficient tension and the rubber/plastic can crush under the force.
- The spindle may get jammed sometimes: The router comes with a little pin that enables you to change a bit with just one wrench. That pin may bend and jam the spindle, so you will have to cut it to release the spindle.
- Great control: Users find that the two handles and dual-position switch offer great control over the machine. You can hit the switch with a thumb while keeping the hands on the handles. A soft start also helps with control and it spins up in a matter of seconds.
- Perfectly balanced and powerful: The router is capable of shrugging off hardwoods like oak, maple, and walnut. That makes it suitable even for the most exacting woodworkers. Most customers find it reliable, sturdy and easy to use all around.
- People appreciate the variable speed option: The speed control ensures that the blade and woods don’t burn out when used with various bits. While variable-speed motor can handle most wood projects by providing up to 23,000 revolutions per minute, it is not possible to set the speed below 10,000 rpm.
- It works well with almost any router table: Thanks to the mounting plate and versatile design, this unit can be mounted on just about any router table. The customers find it a perfect fit for router table use.
What’s in the Box?
The PORTER-CABLE 892 comes with just about everything you will ever need for fixed-base routing jobs.
Here’s what is included in the package:
- Router motor
- Fixed base
- Collet wrench
- 1/2-inch and 1/4- collets
- Carrying case
- User manual
How Much Does the Porter-Cable 892 Router Cost?
The pricing starts at about $200 and goes as high as $300. So, it is worth going through all the offers available to find the best deal.
While the Porter-Cable 892 is not the most affordable router on the market, you can rest assured that you’ll get your money’s worth. It provides very good performance for the money.
So, Why Should I Buy Porter-Cable 892 Router?
Every woodworker looking for a mid-sized fixed base router should consider buying this all-around machine. The Porter-Cable 892 Router includes all the features you may need. It comes with soft-starting, variable-speed control, dual-position switch, and over-molded grips.
While it might not be a good choice for beginners, professionals will make use of it for a variety of woodworks. The router is powerful enough to handle almost any kind of wood task.
It can help you create accurate height adjustments when used in a router table, but it can also be used freehand. Unlike plunge cuts, the Porter-Cable 892 allows you to adjust bit depth precisely and quickly down to 1/128 inch. Use a micro-height adjustment knob for the best results.
Any complaints? The motor can overheat without adequate ventilation and when enclosed in a table. Also, you may encounter problems with the safety mechanism sometimes. Minor complaints aside, the Porter-Cable 892 router is a great product.