Like other DIY enthusiasts, artisans, craftsmen, woodworkers or hobbyists, finding the best platform to work on as you carry your tasks is of immense importance. Otherwise, you will experience long hours of work and poor quality results.
Certainly, ideal-working surfaces allow for exceptional results. This type of equipment is naturally versatile and come packed with a host of features. Such features ease woodwork activities including assembly, drilling jobs, cutting and clamping.
We found many portable workbenches during our search. This makes it quite daunting to find the best, especially for amateur artisans and even professionals looking to upgrade their workbenches.
Nonetheless, the best portable workbench ought to offer great portability, versatility, reliability, easy storage and space-saving nature. If you are on the market searching for this, our portable workbench review below comes in handy.
We have outlined some of the best products as well as several things to consider before settling for one of the best products on the market.
Best Portable Workbenches 2018
|Keter Folding Adjustable Workbench|
|WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Workbench|
|Kreg KWS1000 Mobile Workbench|
|Black & Decker WM125 Portable Workbench|
|HICO UWISO2 Universal Portable Folding Workbench|
1. Keter Folding Adjustable Workbench – Best Overall Compact Portable WorkbenchIf you are searching for a compact and portable workbench that combines sturdiness and steadiness, consider the Keter Folding Adjustable Workbench. It is a perfect choice that turns your home garage into a workshop through its handy tool storage and rugged working space for all kinds of repairs.
Convenience and versatility is perhaps the key feature accompanying this product. The workbench features a polypropylene resin construction that allows the bench stand up to any tasks. So to say, it can hold up to 700lbs of various materials, accessories, and tools.
The addition of 12-inch adjustable holding clamps to the Keter Folding Adjustable Workbench allows it to hold and keep wood steady enough for making precise cuts. For versatility, the table’s height can be adjusted by extending the legs up to four inches higher for a better working angle.
In a bid to alleviate the common unpacking/unfolding problems associated with portable workbenches, the Keter Folding Adjustable Workbench comes with a quick opening system that allows you to open and set it up within 30 seconds. It comes with a manual that guides users in installing the equipment.
2. WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Workbench – Best Quality Portable WorkbenchThe WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Workbench can easily be converted to a workbench or a sawhorse in seconds. It features an extra storage shelf that comes in handy if you need to store your toolbox and other accessories when not in use.
It is a perfect compact, easily folded and lightweight workmate that eases your workshop experience. The workbench features 2 quick release clamps with four pegs that provide exceptional and sturdy holding power that holds your items in place, regardless of their shape and size.
The WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Workbench has a working surface of 31” by 25” and 32” high. This provides enough space for working on your tools. Though not as strong as the aforementioned product, the workbench supports up to 300lbs of tools, materials, and accessories.
As mentioned, this is a lightweight workbench. This is approximate from the rough weight estimation of 30 pounds. It also folds to a depth of 5-inch, making it easy to stash away either behind some furniture or even under your bed.
3. Kreg KWS1000 Mobile Workbench – Best Versatile Portable WorkbenchAs mentioned, the Kreg KWS1000 Mobile Workbench achieves versatility expertly. This is based on its ability to support multiple work modes. Folding the workbench takes seconds, making the unit extra easy to store.
The surface of the bench has holes that come in handy when working on various materials as they increase the attachment options for various accessories. The bench also features sturdy trays that accommodate various hardware and equipment. These clamps adjust automatically, further adding to the security of the tools and items used.
The board’s surface is 27.5” wide by 31.5”, precise enough to provide a 360° access for any user. The table can also be locked I place, enhancing its stability. Clamps of the Kreg KWS1000 Mobile Workbench work both vertically and horizontally thus excellent for holding objects of all sizes and shapes.
For enhanced stability, the workbench is made of steel construction with a solid foundation.
4. Black & Decker WM125 Portable Workbench – Best Sturdily Constructed Portable WorkbenchBlack & Decker manufacturers are among the popular and trusted workbench manufacturers for quite some time. The Black & Decker WM125 Portable Workbench is among their latest and well-performing sequel featuring great features.
Unlike other initial Black & Decker products, this workbench can hold up to 350lbs. This is enough weight to support nearly all your materials, tools and accessories. The bench is also lightweight and easy to carry around, weighing only 15 pounds.
Apart from its lightweight nature, the Black & Decker WM125 Portable Workbench is highly durable, perhaps attributed to its strong steel frames fitting. It comes with swivel pegs that can be adjusted based on the presenting needs or the need to clamp specific objects, regardless of their shape and size.
The dual clamps fitted provide additional security. They make this unit extra versatile. Besides, the wooden vise jaws do not swell or warp easily but are resistant to various abuse. They can also be angled based on the needs and preferences of the user.
5. HICO UWISO2 Universal Portable Folding Workbench – Best New Design Portable WorkbenchThe HICO UWISO2 Universal Portable Folding Workbench is yet another versatile upcoming portable workbench causing ripples on the market. It is a quality product, with immense features, combining both portability and compact nature with great performance.
The bench can be used as a sturdy workbench as well as a piece of scaffolding piece to provide some height for working on any project. The bench can support up to 330 pounds, especially when used for scaffolding.
Compared to other products in this review, the HICO UWISO2 Universal Portable Folding Workbench has the largest working space, ranging at 45” x 18”. To support this surface, the bench features aluminum legs that are corrosion resistant and can be adjusted to two different heights.
Things to Consider Before Buying Portable Workbench
Whereas there are various reasons for owning a workbench, the characteristics of finding the best portable workbench remain the same. As mentioned, there are various brands of workbench available on the market. just like other products, there are specific features you should keep in mind when searching for these products.
Some of the essential aspects include:
Workbench Tabletop Size
The tabletop size should be the first place to begin your search considerations. This describes the size of the work area that the portable workbench offers. You ought to match the tabletop size with the tasks you intend to use it on.
If you plan on working with some precision cuts or simply mounting bice grips, you can get away conveniently with a smaller sized workbench. However, if you intend to assemble drawers or fix large frames on it, you will need some bigger sized portable workbench tabletop.
An heavy workbench will not provide the much needed portability. This is true, even if the workbench folds up to a nice and small compact size. However, this all comes down to the intended use of the workbench.
If you need an extra portable workbench, consider a light but sturdy bench enough to handle your tasks. Note that some of these equipment are made of plastic that are light in weight, but may not handle tough abuse.
Similarly, portable workbenches made of metal and wood pieces are sturdy but quite heavy. Therefore, you will need to compromise on one aspect, or perhaps get a workbench that has a perfect balance of the two aspects.
These equipment are available on four different surfaces. Choosing either is hugely dependent on your intended use. The four surfaces include:
- Wood surface – the fact that wooden workbenches are amongst the most common types, especially in the old days doesn’t come as a surprise. As you may be aware, this is the reason why initial workbenches were static and heavy.
Although modern workbenches have evolved, some manufacturers still prefer to use wooden surfaces. These surfaces are built to withstand extreme heat exposure hard hits and withstand marring.
- Plastic or laminate – unlike wood, these workbenches are light and non-conductive. This makes them perfect for working with electrical appliances. Several designs have a durable laminate coating that prevents the surface from petty stains and scratches.
Based on their construction, they are affordable and easy to construct. They are also easy to store and move around.
- Steel – these are by far the sturdiest workbenches out on the market. Due to their strong welds and additional underside reinforcements, these benches hold up more weight and withstands great pressure. They are perfect for heavy-duty work.
- Particle-board surface – portable workbenches fitted with particle-board tops are ideal for light to medium applications. They are relatively affordable and easy to maintain. The particle-board surface may feature pressure bonded tiny wood particles that provide additional durability.
Having decided on the specific workbench model you intend to buy, ensure that it packs all the sets of useful tools and accessories. Whereas not all portable workbenches guarantee the best tools, prefer those that have these additions. To some extent, this may determine its value and utility. Some of the accessories include:
- Metal toolbox – getting a workbench accompanied by a metal toolbox provides the assurance of sturdy and dependability of these toolboxes. Though quite heavier compared to the plastic toolbox, they last long and withstands immense abuse.
- Plastic toolbox – unlike metal toolbox, plastic models have a lower damage threshold. However, their bigger advantage is that they are lightweight and much affordable.
- Parts storage – you should also check if the workbench offers additional storage compartments. You might need some tools within your reach when working on certain tasks. With storage compartments, you will benefit from a clean working surface and much convenience.
- Workbench stool – if you have spent time using a workbench, you will certainly understand the importance of having a workbench stool at some point. There are some models that have inbuilt or attached stools for optimal rest.
- Pegboard – pegboards are necessary when using workbenches to not only protect the wall behind the equipment but also provide additional shelving. They will also allow you to keep specific tools within your arms reach thus creating an extra storage, especially for small items.
The undoubted and unpredictable nomadic nature of craftsmen, home mechanics and woodworkers necessitate the use of a portable workbench. They are a great source of relief and provide utmost comfort when working on their projects.
The products mentioned above are some of the best workbenches that interested users can try. Despite the diverse types and brands, finding a quality product is key.
A workbench offering a wide enough working space, lightweight and affordable, ascertains the best product. However, depending on the intended use, users should skew their choices to fit the desired needs.
From the products mentioned above, which is your favorite? Please share with us in the comments section below.