Now that you are looking forward to buying the best portable water pump, do you know which the right one is?
To understand this, you first need to ascertain your water pumping needs. Basically, a pump needs to be lightweight and have a compact design for it to be portable. However, these are not the only considerations, in this case (Source).
So, what should a top rated portable water pump have?
Since you are looking for the best product in the market, you need to consider the specifications as well as capabilities of the various models. In this regard, you should consider such aspects as the size, weight, power source, type, water pressure, max head, flow rate and quality of the product.
To help you make the right choice, here are reviews of some of the most sought-after portable water pumps today.
Best Portable Water Pumps 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Portable Water Pumps 2019
- 2 1. SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump – Best Overall
- 3 2. Active Aqua Submersible Water Pump – Most Affordable & Submersible Option
- 4 3. WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump – Lifts Water More Than 35ft
- 5 4. Flojet 18555-000A, Portable RV Waste Pump – Most Portable
- 6 5. WAYNE PC4 1/2 HP Cast Iron Multi-Purpose Pump – Best Heavy-Duty Water Pump
- 7 Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Portable Water Pump
- 8 Final Verdict
|SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump|
|Active Aqua Submersible Water Pump|
|WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump|
|Flojet 18555-000A, Portable RV Waste Pump|
|WAYNE PC4 1/2 HP Cast Iron Multi-Purpose Pump|
1. SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump – Best OverallThis SHURFLO product is evidently one of the most popular portable water pumps in the market today. Owing to its superior design and array of features, this product is relatively versatile in application. The SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 water pump offers the best blend of quality, affordability, durability and functionality in the industry today.
With regards to functionality, this product features a single-piece diaphragm. This, along with its internal by-pass mechanism, contribute to the enhanced performance and durability offered by this product. The electrical pump is rated 7.5 Amps and should be connected to a 12 VDC power source. At its optimal performance, this unit can deliver a pressure of up to 55 PSI.
For reduced noise, the manufacture uses patent pending Flow Reaction Technology in this model. Additionally, this technology goes a long way in reducing excessive pump cycling and vibrations by the product. Since it is a quality and durable product, it is backed by a 2-year warranty by the manufacturer.
2. Active Aqua Submersible Water Pump – Most Affordable & Submersible OptionThe Active Aqua manufacturer is renowned for producing some of the most durable, powerful and affordable water pumps today. This submersible pump by the manufacture is no exception. Although the product is comparatively affordable, it is powerful enough for medium sized reservoir tanks (about 55 gallons). In this regard, the unit features a powerful mag drive construction that is capable of delivering a flow rate of 550 Gallons per Hour (GPH).
These water pumps are specifically designed to deliver optimal performance and reliability in any hydroponic system. You will also find the pump relatively easy to service and its replacement parts easy to get. For instance, it is equipped with removable foam filters to ensure that the water being transferred is free of contaminants.
For reduced vibrations, this product is equipped with rubber mounting feet. The product comes with a six feet long heavy duty power cord. As such, you can use the pump away from the power socket.
3. WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump – Lifts Water More Than 35ftIf you are looking for a portable water pump that can lift water for more than 35 feet, you should consider buying the WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump.
This product is equipped with a 115 volt motor that is powerful enough for such a water head. Additionally, you will also get a 6 feet suction horse with this pump.Such aspects make the product rather versatile in application.
As such, it may be used in various utility applications, such as draining an aquarium, floors in construction sites and water beds. Although this is not a submersible model, the suction horse makes it easier for you to use the pump above the water you are transferring.
4. Flojet 18555-000A, Portable RV Waste Pump – Most PortableThis is one of the water pumps that were specifically designed with portability in mind. In this regard, you will find the unit easy to carry around as well as to connect and disconnect. To begin with, the Flojet 18555-000A, Portable RV Waste Pump comes with a convenient carry case. The product has a self-priming feature and may be used to remove both grey and black water from holding tanks.
For safety purposes, this product features a 30 seconds run dry protection. You may use the product with almost any 3 inch horse. This should be connected to the outlet on the housing of the pump. For enhanced flexibility, the product comes with a 6 feet power cable.
5. WAYNE PC4 1/2 HP Cast Iron Multi-Purpose Pump – Best Heavy-Duty Water PumpIf you have been researching the industry, you probably are aware that Wayne is one of the leading manufacturers of water pumps today. Just like the other Wayne product reviewed above, the WAYNE PC4 1/2 HP is durable, versatile and of high quality. As opposed to the other products reviewed in this guide, this unit is very powerful; hence suitable for heavy-duty water pumping applications.
With regards to durability, the housing of the pump is made of cast iron steel. This, along with the brass horse connections used on this product, makes it very durable. Despite being a heavy duty pump, the 1/2 HP transfer unit is relatively easy to carry and install. While functioning at its optimal performance, the pump can deliver a pressure of up to 50 PSI and a suction lift of about 15 ft at its inlet.
Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Portable Water Pump
Are you looking for a water pump that is comparatively easy to transport and store after use? You should consider buying a portable water pump right away.
In such a case, the weight as well as physical size of the pump will come in handy. As a rule of thumb, a portable water pump should be comparatively lightweight and feature a compact design.
However, you must have realized that the market is currently flooded with such products. As a result, choosing the best portable water pump can be a daunting task, especially if you do not know what to look for.
In addition to the weight and size considerations, here are several other considerations you need to make while looking for the right portable water pump:
1. Type of Pump
Well, not all the available water pumps are built the same. Depending on the intended application, the right type of portable water pump to buy may vary. In this regard, you need to consider the main types of pumps available today.
While shopping for the best portable water pump, these are some of the pump types you should consider:
- Electric Pumps
Most of the electric water pumps available today are stationery. However, you may also find a good electric pump that is portable. These are primarily powered by electricity and are available in several size options.
Such pumps can run continually for many hours at a time and are eco friendly. If you do not have access to electricity, you should avoid portable electric water pumps and go for the engine-powered units instead.
- Engine Powered Portable Water Pumps
As opposed to electric models, these are powered by a combustion engine that runs on either diesel or petrol. The good thing about this type of pumps is that they do not require access to electricity. This makes them comparatively portable. However, the availability of a combustion engine makes these pumps heavier.
- Diaphragm Pumps
The various portable diaphragm pumps are suited for pumping thicker fluids. As such, they are a great choice for those looking forward to pump sewage, high solid containing water or mud.
- Jet Pumps
Are you looking for a portable pump that you can use to draw water from deep sources, such as a well? If so, it is advisable to buy a jet pump. Most of the jet pumps available today are powered by electricity. This makes them relatively lightweight and portable. However, there are also some jet pumps that are powered by diesel or petrol engines.
2. Water Moving Capabilities
How powerful should your preferred water pump be? Most of the portable water pumps available today are not very powerful, as compared to the stationery pumps. While this is the case, you do not have to settle for a weaker model, just because it is portable. In this regard, here are some of the specifications you need to consider:
- Maximum Head
The heard refers to the vertical distance that a pump can move water. The maximum head of a portable water pump is an indicator of its suction height and uplift. You need to get a pump that is powerful enough to move the water to the desired point.
For instance, you may need to such water from a depth of 5 meters and then move it to a point, 25 meters above the pump. In such a case, you preferred portable pump should have a max head of at least 30 meters.
- Flow Rate
This is often expressed as liters per minute (L/Min) and indicates the amount of water a pump can transfer per minute. For a faster transfer of water, you should consider buying a product with a higher flow rate.
- Water Pressure
The water pressure will determine how far a pump can move water, hence is closely related to the max head. As such, the pressure of the water at the final destination will mainly depend on the max head of the pump.
For instance, the water pressure will be zero at a distance that is equal to the max head of the pump. If you need a higher pressure, you should get a pump whose max head is greater than the distance you are moving the water.
3. Quality and Reliability
While everyone is trying to save money while buying a portable water pump, it is not advisable to buy one just because it is affordable. As you may be aware, quality and reliability are a concern for most of the affordable pumps today. Instead, it is advisable to consider the quality of the materials and components used to make the pump.
To be on the safe side, it is advisable to buy the portable pumps that have a relatively long warranty period. It is only the quality and durable products that are backed by long period warranties by the manufacturer.
As you have learnt throughout this guide, the choice of the right portable water pump depends on various things. To begin with, you need to ascertain the intended application of your new pump. The various units available today are built differently.
As such, some are more powerful than others. Since you are looking for a portable product, you need to get one that is both flexible and versatile in application.
Regardless of your personal preferences, this guide will help you choose the best portable water pump in the market today.