As the colder months come around, choosing the best form of heating can be a stressful endeavor. Portable baseboard heaters are the perfect option for those who want a simple and cost-effective method of heating up your household.
When the frost is nipping at our toes, we need something that takes minutes to start working. Portable baseboard heaters can be used in almost any room in your home, regardless of its size. Simply slide the portable heater up to the wall of your choice, plug it in and enjoy the warmth.
The problem is, there are hundreds of heaters on the market. Which one should you choose? The best portable baseboard heater will be powerful, contain safety features, and have the appropriate size for the given space.
To make your decision easier, we have decided to review five of the very best portable baseboard heaters on the market. Let’s jump straight in.
Best Portable Baseboard Heaters 2018
|King Electric KPH1210|
|King Electric KP1215-ECO|
1. King Electric KPH1210 – Most Well Rounded Baseboard HeaterOne of the most well-rounded portable baseboard heaters is the King Electric KPH1210. It is relatively low cost due to its moderate power consumption of just 1000W. The King Electric won’t be heating up an assembly hall but it’s more than enough to keep smaller rooms toasty. The design is sleek, with an all white, aluminum outer shell. If safety is a priority, the KPH1210 will surely meet your needs. It has a built-in safety feature that will shut the device off if it’s tipped over. It also features a built-in thermostat to help regulate the optimal temperature.
As with most baseboard heaters, there can be a slight humming noise when left running for longer periods of time. This is an issue that is only avoidable by spending considerably more on a top-of-the-range heater. Also, there could be that “new heater smell” for the first few uses. Again, this is normal and will happen regardless of which electric heater you purchase.
The KPH1210 is sturdy, easy to carry and packs all of the features you need in a baseboard heater. It’s inexpensive and cheap to run. Overall, it’s a beast of a baseboard heater that we would highly recommend.
2. Heat-Wave EB98937 – The Highest Rated Baseboard HeaterOne baseboard heater that is extremely popular with consumers is the EB98937 by Heat-Wave. It includes everything that you need in a small, portable baseboard heater. It features a built-in thermostat to allow you to control the temperature easily. Like the King Electric, it also features an automatic safety mechanism that cuts off power when it’s tipped over. For increased safety, the EB98937 will also cut-off automatically if it ever overheats. It also allows you to switch between two power settings; 500W and 1000W. The 500W setting is enough for a small room and the 1000W is perfect for a medium sized room.
One of the biggest benefits of the EB98937 is it’s cost. Compared to the majority of other baseboard heaters on the market, it’s a steal. The addition of a thermostat and multiple power settings allows you to control the cost-effectiveness of it even further.
The biggest downside is it’s design. There is nothing inherently flawed with its design but the all-black finish may be off-putting to some. Overall, the EB98937 is a brilliant purchase that will give you everything you need from a baseboard heater.
3. Fahranheat FBE15002 – The Most Powerful Baseboard HeaterIf you are looking for something a bit more powerful, this is the heater for you. It comes with two power settings: 1000W and 1500W. It’s perfect for heating up almost any room in your home. Just like the previous two, the GBE15002 features a built-in thermostat and all of the same safety features. However, this one also boasts a power light and a chimney fin element. It’s made in the USA and uses 120V to operate.
The FBE15002 is definitely one of the more expensive heaters on the market. If you need something powerful, reliable and durable, this is the heater for you. If high-quality heating is a priority of yours, you should make the investment in this one. You won’t be disappointed.
4. Optimus H-3603 – Best Value For the MoneyIf you are in the market for something cheap and cheerful, here it is. The Optimus H-3603 is the best value for money without a doubt. It features two power settings, 750W and 1500W. It’s perfect for heating small to medium rooms. It’s fast to heat up and is cheap to run. It also features a built-in thermostat which is surprising when you consider its price. Safety features include an automatic switch-off mechanism if the device tips over or overheats. It’s double gauge heavy duty material is strong. The durability doesn’t impact the portability of it at all. The built-in carry handles make it easy to move from one room to another.
The only downside is that it’s bulky and not very easy on the eyes. However, for the price, it’s hard to complain. Overall, it’s a fantastic baseboard heater that is great value for money.
5. King Electric KP1215-Eco – The Most Economical Baseboard HeaterIf cost-effectiveness if what you are looking for, the KP1215-ECO is the best choice for you. It’s powerful 1500W capacity power output provides your home with as much heat as you require. It also has a lower, 750W output setting for when you need a little less heat. What makes the KP1215-ECO so smart is its ability to switch between the two settings. When your room gets nice and warm, the system will switch to 750W in order to preserve energy. This means your room will be consistently warm but without overspending on your energy bills.
The heater features a lighted on/off switch as well as two eco-indicating lights. It also features an automatic shut-off if the device ever overheats or somehow tips over. The heater features two legs that give it lot’s of support so the chances of it tipping over are slim. Overall, it’s the best choice for the ECO-minded individual who needs a cost-effective way to heat their home.
Things To Consider When Shopping For a Portable Baseboard Heater
Staying warm throughout the colder months is an absolute priority. The cold should be treated with as much respect as it deserves. Cold weather can wreak havoc on our overall health, especially those who are young or elderly. However, thanks to the advancements in modern technology, staying warm has never been easier.
One of the best forms of heating is using a baseboard heater. Still unsure whether a baseboard heater is right for you? Let’s break down exactly what a baseboard heater is, how it works and why we believe it’s the best value for money.
So, What Exactly is a Baseboard Heater?
As the name suggests, a baseboard heater is a type of heater that can be “attached” to a baseboard in your home. We use the term attached lightly, since all of the products that we have recommended are portable. Having the ability to move the comforting heat from one room to another is a feature that is invaluable, especially if you live in a larger house.
Traditional baseboard heaters will have to be connected to the wall. However, portable heaters are typically freestanding and will have no problems being used directly on the flooring underneath. Most portable baseboard heaters will have built-in safety mechanisms that prevent them from catching fire to the carpet or damaging any wood flooring.
How Do Baseboard Heaters Work?
Baseboard heaters use convection heating to keep your rooms warm and toasty. Convection heating simply refers to the production of heat from within the machine which is then spread to the surrounding areas through fans, pipes or any other mechanism that can transfer heat. In this case, the baseboard heater will produce heat and will radiate the warm air throughout the room using fans.
The warm air then rises, filling any cold spaces in the room. As the rising air cools, it starts to sink again, ultimately falling back into the baseboard heater. The heater will then warm it back up and send it back out to constantly keep you warm. This cycle will continue as long as you have the heater plugged in.
What are The Benefits of Baseboard Heaters?
Baseboard heaters are generally the cheapest type of heater to buy. They also have a few additional benefits that we believe would be worth mentioning.
First of all, they are extremely compact and out of the way. The way in which they are built means that they can occupy a space that you typically wouldn’t be using in the first place.
The fact that they are portable means that they can be stored away when they are not in use. Wall-mounted heaters are mounted on the wall forever, regardless of whether they are in use or not. Portable heaters will only be in-sight when they are being used.
Finally, baseboard heaters are extremely cost-effective. They are not too expensive to purchase upfront and they are very energy-efficient. You won’t have to remortgage the house just to afford the heating bill.
What Features Should I Compare?
Have you decided that a baseboard heater is the best choice for you? Here are a few things to keep in mind when buying one for your home.
The capacity of a heater refers to its wattage. The higher it’s wattage, the more powerful it will be. The more powerful it is, the faster it will heat up a room and the bigger the rooms it can heat. When choosing a heater, you need to understand how big your rooms are.
Choosing a heater with too low of a wattage will not heat your room enough. On the other hand, a heater with too high of a wattage will be a waste of money. If you can figure out the square footage of your room, you can figure out the perfect wattage needed to heat it.
Simply multiply your square footage by ten and that will give you the ideal capacity for that room. Choose a heater that is as close to that capacity and you will have made the best decision.
- Safety Features
Depending on where the heater will be used, certain safety features will be required. For rooms that are filled with carpet, an automatic switch-off mechanism if the device falls over is absolutely necessary. Many heaters will also switch-off automatically if they start to overheat.
Adjustable thermostats and controllable power settings will allow you to control the temperatures more accurately. Finally, carry handles are another feature to look out for. You want something portable and easy to move around. Carry handles reduce the risk of you dropping the heater.
Of course, all of the heaters on our list are portable and relatively compact. However, depending on where you will keep the heater, you may need something smaller (or larger). The size of the heater will impact the price.
More compact heaters that produce the same level of heat will ultimately cost more. On the other hand, large, powerful heaters will also cost more. Keep this in mind when establishing your budget.
Our Final Review
Choosing a heater that is perfect for your own specific needs is not an easy decision. There are many factors that come into play. The size of your room and your budget are two factors that have a lot of influence on your decision.
In terms of the best bang for your buck, it’s hard to look past the Optimus H-3603. However, if you need something powerful enough to get the job done perfectly every time, the Fahrenheat FBE15002 is the obvious choice.
Whatever heater you decide to choose, hopefully our reviews and buyers guide have made your decision easier.