A plasma lighter, also known as an electric lighter, is a lighter that relies on an electrical charge to produce sparks that can be used to light various things. The best plasma lighters will be windproof, will feature a compact and lightweight design, and will have a simple design (Source).
Are you tired of shielding your lighter’s flame from the wind when trying to light a cigarette outside? If so then a plasma lighter would be a great accessory for you to have. Plasma lighters work by using energy stored in a battery to produce an electric arc. This arc is small enough to be as safe as a flame, but powerful enough to light cigarettes and other items (Source).
Some plasma lighters charge relatively quickly, but don’t last very long on a charge, where others can take a considerable amount of time to charge, but last longer between charges. Choosing the right balance between charge capacity and time to charge is imperative.
There are quite a few plasma lighters to choose from, all with varying degrees of reliability, among other top factors. If you have no experience with them, picking the right plasma lighter can be overwhelming.
Before buying a plasma lighter, consider its battery life, price, ark size, and ease of operation. It is also important to consider whether or not the plasma lighter has a durable build. In this breakdown, we will tell you about all the top-rated plasma lighters.
All of the plasma lighters in this review will reliably light a cigarette in the wind, whether you only smoke occasionally, or smoke a pack a day.
Tips & Tricks for Using Plasma Lighters
Table of Contents
- 1 Tips & Tricks for Using Plasma Lighters
- 2 Comparing The Best Plasma Lighters
- 3 1. Tesla Coil Lighter – Best Overall
- 4 2. Zippo Chrome Lighter – The Best Plasma Lighter for Looks and Variety
- 5 3. Ralix Electronic Lighter – The Best Single Arc Plasma Lighter
- 6 4. Saberlight Sparq Rechargeable Lighter – The Best Cylindrical Electronic Lighter
- 7 5. BOLT Lighter – Versatile & Long-Lasting Lighter
- 8 How to Use a Plasma Lighter
- 9 Plasma Lighters: Safety Tips & Precautions
- 10 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Plasma Lighter
- 11 Ready To Buy The Best Plasma Lighter?
Like with other devices, taking good care of a plasma lighter can prolong its life and ensure that it works flawlessly. The following are tips for caring and using plasma lighters.
- Clean the electrodes on your lighter: The electrodes tend to get coated by a sticky tar buildup over time. This will give rise to dirt and debris, which can affect the device’s functionality. Get in the habit of cleaning the electrodes to make your lighter operate efficiently. Use a dry, clean cloth or rubbing alcohol for this purpose.
- Fully charge your USB lighter before use: The last thing you want is to end up with an empty lighter. Change it regularly and fully so as not to run out of power. Furthermore, it will give the battery a more productive and longer life.
- Use your plasma lighter to build a campfire or light a grill: While this may take some time and patience, a plasma lighter can help you light a grill. Since the plasma arc itself isn’t enough to start a campfire quickly, you will need to use a piece of paper. It will save you time.
Comparing The Best Plasma Lighters
|Tesla Coil Lighter|
|Zippo Chrome Lighter|
|Ralix Electronic Lighter|
|Saberlight Sparq Rechargeable Lighter|
1. Tesla Coil Lighter – Best Overall
This makes it ideal for a camping week, right? However, you do not need to panic when the charge runs out; this plasma lighter is rechargeable. In this regard, you can use any USB port to recharge your light wherever you are.
With an arc length of 5 mm, this lighter weighs 3 oz. this makes it relatively easy to carry around in the pocket. The product features a simple press-button that makes it easy to turn on and off. Additionally, it features a safety feature. This feature prevents it from turning on accidentally while it is in your pocket. In this regard, the unit is designed to remain off as long as the lid is closed.
With regards to design, the Tesla coil Lighter features a sleek, reliable and elegant design. The unit measures 3 x 1.75 x 0.5 inches, which makes it pocket-friendly. Whether you are a smoker or not, you will find the Tesla Coil lighter an innovative, convenient and long-lasting lighter. The unit is also a great gift for friends and family.
- Features a simple Press-button
- The unit remains off whenever the lid is closed
- Features a compact and lightweight design
- Can produce up to 300 lights when fully charged
- May be charged on any USB port
- It is windproof
- Has a relatively long arc, 5 mm
- Manufactured by a popular brand
- Relatively easy to use
- You can burn yourself or get a minor shock if you touch the art
2. Zippo Chrome Lighter – The Best Plasma Lighter for Looks and Variety
If you browsed for the best plasmatic lighter, you will find that the leading brands offer extended warranties for their products. In this regard, Zippo Chrome Lighters come with a lifetime guarantee. In this regard, the manufacturer guarantees you that the unit will function, if it does not, you can take back for a free repair.
Another thing you will love about these lighters is the variety they offer. When they were first introduced, back in 2005, these lighters were availed in 4 main variants. Based on your personal preferences, you can choose any of the four models, including Brushed Chrome, Brushed Brass, High Polish Brass Armor and High Polish Chrome lighter models.
This is one of the leading brands that offer the best variety for their lighters. In this regard, the various Chrome Lighter models feature different imprint methods to suit different user preferences. To make these lighter more appealing and lightweight, the manufacturer uses a dimensional multi-face lifted design on this product.
The Armor case on this product is deep curved and then plated before the epoxy is separately filled. The solid, marbled or clear epoxies used on the various Chrome lighters are inlayed into the deep cavities by knowledgeable artisans. This gives the lighters the elegant and dramatic color accents they are known for.
- Offers you a variety
- The product is made in USA
- It is lightweight and windproof
- Features an all-metal durable design
- Relatively durable
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Features elegant finishes
- You may find the lighter less efficient
3. Ralix Electronic Lighter – The Best Single Arc Plasma Lighter
This gives the unit a sturdy, yet elegant design that is friendly to the environment. As compared to the relatively cheaper plasma lighters, this lighter will never melt or fall apart as time goes by. Additionally, you will find this lighter very convenient.
In this regard, you will not need to look for the inconvenient refills every time your lighter runs out. The Ralix Electronic lighter is USB rechargeable. This being the case, you can easily charge your unit from any USB port at home or in your office. The rechargeable battery on this unit is also very effective.
When fully charged, the unit can give you up to 300 Sparks! As such, you can use the lighter for up to a week without having to recharge it. As opposed to most lighters within this price range, the Ralix is fitted with an indicator light.
The blue indicator light used on this lighter will come on whenever the lighter is fully charged. This will, in turn, prevent you from overcharging the unit. This feature goes a long way in enhancing its battery life. The windproof, single-arc lighter features a beautiful matte finish.
As such, you do not have to worry about fingerprint marks on your lighter. Just as is the case with some of the best plasmatic lighters today, the Ralix Electronic lighter comes with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
- Backed by a 100 percent manufacturer guarantee
- It is USB rechargeable
- Can produce up to 300 lights
- Features an appealing matte finish
- Equipped with a battery level indicator
- Features a sturdy and elegant construction
- Relatively compact and durable
- Effective, Safe and easy to use
- Not ideal for smokers who use a pipe
4. Saberlight Sparq Rechargeable Lighter – The Best Cylindrical Electronic Lighter
Having been re-engineered and re-designed, the new Sparq lighter may be used to light almost anything. As opposed to many other plasma lighters, this lighter may be used to light both cigarettes and the relatively large cigars. In this regard, the unit is designed to produce two powerful on its nodes.
This gives the plasmatic lighter a relatively large lighting cross section. The Revolutionary Plasma Beam Lighter uses Plasma Wave Technology. This allows the unit to produce a hotter flame; hence makes it easier for you to light up different materials.
Again, the unit is rechargeable and features a long lasting lithium-ion cell battery. In this regard, a fully charged Sparq lighter will give you up to 300 lights. This makes things a lot easier; just recharge, click throughout the week and then recharge again.
The re-engineered design of this product is relatively narrower and good looking. This lighter was primarily designed to be more convenient and easier to use. In this regard, it charges really fast. As a matter of fact, you only need to plug it in for an hour to recharge its battery. Finally, the Sparq lighter has been approved by TSA.
As such, you will be allowed to carry it through any airport whenever you are traveling.
- Wind proof and durable
- Charges really fast
- Features a long lasting battery
- It is TSA approved
- It does not have any chemical
- Lightweight and elegant design
- It is USB rechargeable
- May not be used to light flat surfaces
5. BOLT Lighter – Versatile & Long-Lasting Lighter
Even so, it is one of the most versatile, long lasting and safest plasma lighter available today. As a matter of fact, the unit uses state-of-the-art technology in its functioning. In this regard, the product is designed to produce its two electro-plasma arcs from opposing poles.
With regards to versatility, this BOLT lighter may be used to light up anything that can fit between its poles, including slim size cigars, cigarettes and candles. As opposed to butane-based lighters that need to be refilled every now and then, this unit is USB rechargeable. As such, you only need to plug it to any USB port to recharge it.
When shopping for the best Plasma lighter, safety should be a key consideration. This lighter does not lag behind when it comes to safety either. In this regard, the lighter will remain off as long as the lid is closed. Even if the button on this unit is pushed accidentally, it will remain off; as long as the lid is closed.
- Equipped with safety features
- It is USB rechargeable
- Does not require butane refills
- Features the latest Electro-Plasma Arc technology
- Equipped with a long lasting battery
- The warranty on this product is relatively short
How to Use a Plasma Lighter
Plasma lighters are quite easy to use. Compared to traditional lighters, there’s less skill involved. Yet there are a few things you should take care of. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use plasma lighters.
- Charge the battery: To charge a plasma lighter, you will need a micro USB cable. It is identical or very similar to the USB cable you’re using to charge your cell phone and other devices. All you need to do is connect that cable and wait. Once the charge cycle is complete (check battery light), you will need to disconnect the device.
- Uncap the lighter: Plasma lighters usually come with a safety cap. Simply flick it open to activate a switch. This will cause the electrodes to power up.
- Position your cigarette: Make sure your target – be it a cigarette or something else – is positioned between the electrodes of your lighter. Some plasma lighters feature a crossover arc. In that case, you need to hold it to the top of the cigarette.
- Press the activation button and hold it in for a few seconds: This will produce the heat necessary to light a cigarette. Hold it while moving the crossover arc until you lit your cigarette.
- Release the activation button: That’s the last thing you should do after lighting a cigarette. If you do not release the activation button, the electrodes will automatically cut out after a while. It takes five or ten seconds in most cases. Before storing your lighter, be sure to replace the cap.
Plasma Lighters: Safety Tips & Precautions
Just as with traditional lighters, there are some precautions that can keep yourself safe when using a plasma lighter. Here are safety tips you should follow:
- Don’t use plasma lighters on flammable liquids – While this sounds obvious, using a lighter close to the flammable objects can pose a danger. To avoid disastrous and unexpected results, stay a certain distance away from the fuel sources while using your lighter. If you prefer cleaning the electrodes with rubbing alcohol, let them dry completely before use.
- Cap your plasma lighter properly: The cap ensures that the device is stored safely. By closing the cap, you block the power supply from the battery. This will prevent the lighter from activating accidentally.
- Avoid using plasma lighters near conductive materials: Some materials, such as metal and water, tend to conduct electricity. They can cause pain or injury when coming in contact with the plasma arc.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Plasma Lighter
You do not have to be a smoker for you to carry a lighter in your pocket; lighters have a horde of applications today. For instance, you may need to kindle a fire while you are out camping.
In such a case a USB-powered, electronic lighter, often referred to as thunder lighters or plasma lighters, will come in handy. These lighters are unique in that they use electric circuits to generate sparks, in the form of arcs, between their ceramic electrodes.
Though these devices are relatively simple in construction and appearance, you need to be very careful when shopping for the best plasma lighter.
In this regard, there are several aspects that you need to consider; some of which are discussed below.
1. The Type of Lighter
The various plasma lighters available today are categorized based on the number of arcs they produce. As such, these devices may be classified into two broad categories;
- Single arc lighters
- Double arc lighters
As the names suggest, the single arc lighters produce a single bolt of sparks, while double arc lighters produce two bolts of sparks. While shopping for the best plasma lighter, you first need to ascertain the appropriate type. Basically, the right lighter will depend on the intended application.
For instance, single-arc plasma lighter is a great choice for smokers. With a double spark lighter, you may end up burning the cigarette in the process of lighting it. This is particularly the case for the king sized cigarettes.
However, you may need a double arc lighter to light a humongous cigar. The various double spark lighters feature four electrodes. As such, they will cover the cross section of the cigar more effectively; hence light it faster than a single arc plasma lighter would.
Besides plasma lighter, if you plan to travel around with cigars, you will need the best humidor to keep them fresh. They have set humidity and are typically used to store cigarettes, tobacco, and cigars to avoid being drying up.
How safe is you preferred lighter for the intended application? This is something that many buyers forget to consider while shopping for the best plasma lighter.
The various dual arc lighters, for instance, produce sparks that cover a relatively large surface area. As such, they pose a risk of burning neighboring items, when used to light smaller things, such as ordinary cigarettes.
While the double arc lighters are considered to be more versatile, most of the models available today do not have an enclosure for the beams. Finally, you need to ensure that your lighter is stored away from the reach of children for the purpose of safety.
3. Design and Shape
Most of the plasma lighters available today have a similar appearance; designed to look like a conventional match box. This design will be a bit limited when it comes to lighting bowls and some candles.
If you have such a lighter, you may need to buy a separate lighter that is better suited for lighting bowls. The various cylindrical plasma lighters, on the other hand feature skinnier and longer profiles.
Such plasma lighters are ideal for reaching out to hidden spots that you would like to light.
4. Charging Capacity and Time
All the plasma lighters in the market today are rechargeable. However, some have higher charge-holding capacities than others. For instance, some of the leading brands will hold a charge enough to sustain about 100 lights.
Other high-end products can store enough charge for 200 to 300 lights. Again, you need to consider how long it takes for the lighter to be fully charged.
While some of the best plasma lighter charge pretty fast, some of them take a considerable amount of time for them to be fully charged. The choice of the right charge capacity and time will mainly depend on your preferences, but you should try and find the best balance between capacity and charging time.
5. Automatic Shut-Off
Though not so common, it is easy to light a cigarette or whatever it is you are lighting and leave your plasma lighter on. If the lighter does not have an automatic Shut-off feature, it poses a fire risk.
You can imagine what would happen if you accidentally put the lighter in your pocket while it is still on, right? To avoid such a scenario, it is advisable to buy the plasma lighters that have this feature. As a matter of fact, it is one of the plasma lighter safety mechanisms you should consider.
Ready To Buy The Best Plasma Lighter?
If you recently browsed for the best plasma lighter, you must have realized that there are hundreds of models to choose from. This being the case, you need to go beyond the aesthetics and price considerations to get the best unit.
In addition to your personal preferences, your preferred electronic lighter should charge fast, feature the right design and have the right safety features. So, are you still not decided on which plasma lighter to buy? This guide will help you choose the best plasma lighter out there.
Also, check out our guide on refilling a zippo lighter, if you own one of those. Also, check out our guide of top-rated cigarette rollers. Are you fond of pipe smoking? Are you looking for the lighter that can be handy for setting the light in a pipe? Consider buying the right pipe lighters.
Leave a Reply