PEX piping has emerged as a technological breakthrough in plumbing due to its affordability and its resistance to corrosion (Source). In contrast to copper and PVC, PEX piping is also much easier to install and fix.
All you need is a PEX crimp tool to get the job done. The best PEX crimp tools make pipe installation simple by turning the pipe connection into an effortless task.
PEX crimp tools, also called PEX crimpers, are handheld devices that apply the force that’s necessary for crimping. To use, you first have to cut your PEX pipes to your desired length. You’ll then have to place a crimp ring over the ends of the two pipes. Then, using your PEX crimp tool, apply pressure on the ring to create a watertight seal (Source).
PEX crimp tools often come with their own crimp rings and are able to crimp specific sizes depending on the diameter of your pipes. These sizes range from 3/8 inch to 1 inch.
People prefer to use PEX crimp tools instead of clamps because they create a more durable and reliable connection. They’re lightweight, easy to use, and perfect for both plumbers and DIY enthusiasts.
Prior to purchasing a PEX crimp tool, you’ll need to consider what size pipes it can crimp. You’ll also need to consider if you want a hand-powered or battery-powered crimping tool. Finally, you should look at the comfort of the handles, and adjustability of the unit.
Get your pipes up and running with these top-rated PEX crimp tools.
Why Should I Buy PEX Crimp Tool?
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Should I Buy PEX Crimp Tool?
- 2 How Much Is A Pex Crimping Tool?
- 3 Comparing The Best PEX Crimp Tools
- 4 1. IWISS PEX Clamp Cinch Tool – The Best PEX Crimp Tool
- 5 2. IWISS F1807 – Most Accurate Crimping Tool
- 6 3. SharkBite 23251 ½ Inch, ¾ Inch PEX Crimping Tool– Best for Commercial and Residential Use
- 7 4. Jinwen PEX Crimping Tool – Best For Budget
- 8 5. RIDGID Compact Press Tool Kit – Best Battery Powered PEX Crimping Kit
- 9 Advantages of PEX Piping
- 10 What Type of PEX Crimp Tool Do You Need?
- 11 How to Use PEX Crimp Tools
- 12 Factors to Consider When Buying PEX Crimp Tools
- 13 Ready To Buy The Best Pex Crimp Tools?
Similar to piping, PEX crimp tools have a lot of advantages over their traditional counterparts. Here are some good reasons to buy such a tool:
- Affordable price – This is certainly one of the best things about PEX crimpling tools. They are less expensive than clamp connections.
- Easy of use – PEX crimp tools are very easy to use. It’s not necessary to have any special skills in order to use them.
- Enhanced security – The connection is more secure and tighter than when using clamps. That’s because a crimp tool allows you to bent metal connections around the pipes.
How Much Is A Pex Crimping Tool?
Pex crimping tools normally cost between $20 and $100. Pricing will depend on the brand and whether or not it comes with additional accessories.
Comparing The Best PEX Crimp Tools
|IWISS PEX Clamp Cinch Tool|
|IWISS F1807 PEX Pipe Crimping Tool|
|Jinwen PEX Crimping Tool|
|RIDGID Compact Press Tool Kit|
1. IWISS PEX Clamp Cinch Tool – The Best PEX Crimp Tool
It is made of heavy-duty steel to make it strong and durable. It also has a unique head which enables it to clamp easily. It is a universal tool and works perfectly with clamps from different manufacturers.
Unlike others, it has a very outstanding formatted design. Due to the design, you do not need to adjust or calibrate first before crimping. This means that it will save your time when using it. Apart from crimping, you can also use it to remove cinch clamps so you do not need to purchase a separate cinch clamp remover.
Another thing about IWISS PEX Clamp Cinch tool is that you can use it for both personal and odd jobs. However, it is not able to hold calibration for a long time and this makes it inappropriate for large-scale and commercial piping.
2. IWISS F1807 – Most Accurate Crimping Tool
It is suitable for crimps with a measurement of 3/8 to 1 inch which makes it ideal for crimping large pipes. It also comes with everything you would require when crimping. You do not need to buy the additional accessories.
You will also note that it is very easy to use. Another impressive thing about it is that it features 3 jaws which are properly designed to ensure that they do not damage or break the pipe. You can also switch from one jaw to the other easily.
Additionally, it has a nice grip which makes your work easier when crimping.
3. SharkBite 23251 ½ Inch, ¾ Inch PEX Crimping Tool– Best for Commercial and Residential Use
It comes with Copper Cramp Rings which are able to crimp pipes with a measurement of 0.5 to 0.75 inches. You do not need to purchase an extra tool. Due to this, it makes crimping work to be cost-effective. It comes with a 2 years limited warranty.
When using SharkBite 23251, you do not need to calibrate first in order to achieve accurate joining. The tool will ensure that the joints are well connected. All you need to do is to apply some pressure when crimping. The tool is very accurate and does not allow poor crimping. This means that you do not have to re-do the task.
4. Jinwen PEX Crimping Tool – Best For Budget
It is made of quality materials and has a nice design which makes it durable. The tool is made of manganese steel and hardened oil. This means that it is strong enough for heavy-duty tasks. You can use it for 3/8 to 1 inch pipes. It works with different brands but is not compatible with Zuri Quick Clamp.
You will note that it has rubber-coating handles which makes it easy to use. These handles are longer as compared to those in other crimp tools. You do not need to calibrate or adjust before using it since it is already calibrated. This saves your time as compared to when you are using other crimp tools which requires you to adjust before using.
Additionally, you can crimp immediately since you do not need to wait the glue to dry or cool the joint.
5. RIDGID Compact Press Tool Kit – Best Battery Powered PEX Crimping Kit
Additionally, it features an inbuilt LED indicator light which shows you the status of the battery. It also shows when the temperatures are not suitable. Another thing is that this tool features a rotating swivel barrel which rotates in 270 degrees when accessing tight areas. This makes the press connections easier and more efficient.
The tool features ½, ¾, 1, 1¼-inch jaws which allows it to work with stainless steel, copper and PEX fittings. This tool provides the flexibility required when working with RIDGID jaws, press ring, actuator among others.
The best thing is that it comes with a lifetime warranty. If you are searching for a quality crimp tool for your professional duties, this one might be the best. It will also save a lot of your time.
Advantages of PEX Piping
PEX tubing is gaining increasing popularity, so it’s no surprise these pipes are the major components of many plumbing systems today. If you still use traditional copper pipes, it is high time to make the switch to PEX.
PEX pipes have numerous advantages over rigid PVC and copper pipes. Here’s why you should use PEX pipes:
- PEX is cheaper than conventional copper pipes. Plus, maintenance costs are much lower which will help you save money down the road.
- Unlike copper pipes, PEX does not corrode over time. Not only that PEX doesn’t develop pinholes and corrode, but it is also resistant to chlorine and scale.
- Compared to copper, PEX is faster and easier to install. Flexibility makes these pipes easier to install. By the way, there are fewer fittings and connections involved, which also facilitates installation.
- Thanks to crosslinked HDPE polymer, PEX pipes are more flexible and stronger. Apart from that, PEX is more resistant to stress cracking due to extremely cold temperatures and corrosion.
A good PEX crimp tool should be lightweight, affordable, calibrated, strong and easy to use. Below are the best PEX crimp tools on the market.
What Type of PEX Crimp Tool Do You Need?
Not all PEX crimp tools are created equal. Once you begin to look at local hardware shops, you’ll come across a wide variety of PEX tools. The crimp size and the size of the PEX tool itself is what makes the principal differences between those tools.
- The size of the crimp: Most crimping clasps range from 1/4 inch to 1 inch. Be sure to choose the right size for the appliance you’re working on. This will play an important role in matching up the pipes.
- The size of the PEX crimp tool: Most people struggle with lack of space in their homes. With that in mind, PEX crimping tools come in different lengths. While some PEX tools are suited for larger spaces, others are one-handed and great for tight spaces.
How to Use PEX Crimp Tools
As a newbie plumber or DIY enthusiast, you should have a clear understanding of how to secure the pipe crimp rings and create a watertight seal. It is different from how a wire crimping tool is used. Below are instructions on how to use PEX crimp tools for your plumbing project.
- Cut the PEX pipe correctly. This is the very first step you need to take. You will need a reliable, sharp pipe cutter for this job. Cut it down squarely to a certain size and carefully remove the burrs.
- Slide crimp rings and fittings to the PEX pipe. Once you cut PEX pipe to the wanted length, place your rings in both ends of the pipe. Then insert your fittings and move crimp rings toward the edge. Make sure the rings are about 1/4″-1/8″ away from the pipe edge.
- Apply crimp tool to the rings. Pull apart the tool handles to open it. Once the opening is created, you will need to press the handles so that your PEX tool is at an angle of 90 degrees from the pipe.
- Shut the tool by pushing the handles together. This will create the pressure that pushes the ring to the required position. That will form a watertight seal. You’ll hear a pop after successful crimping.
- Check the connectivity. At last, you should use the Go/No-Go gauge to make certain your connection is secure. This gauge helps in ensuring the proper connection, which is of utmost importance to any plumbing project.
Factors to Consider When Buying PEX Crimp Tools
Whether you have ever used a PEX crimp tool before or not, you must be very sure about the product you want to buy. Otherwise, you may end up wasting a lot of money since crimp tools are different. Here are some of the factors you should consider.
Ensure that the crimping tool you have selected is portable and easy to use. A heavy one will make your work difficult and will lead to low performance. A good crimp tool should be easy to store after use. Ensure that it is made of quality materials but lightweight.
Before buying, consider the task you are intending to do with the tool. Crimping tools are designed for different functions. Some are used for plumbing others for network cables while others are for computers. Make sure that the crimping tool you have selected is the best for the work you are intending to do.
Look for a long lasting crimping tool. You do not need a tool that you keep repairing or replacing. Always check the materials used to make the tool before buying. A quality crimp tool should be mad of rugged steel. It should also be sturdy.
Crimping involves applying a lot of force. Therefore, you should ensure that the tool has a comfortable handle. Otherwise, you will end up with a blistered hand especially when you are using the tool for a long time.
Crimping tools are available in different prices. This is especially true when comparing different types of crimpers, like the top pex crimpers and the best hydraulic crimping tools.The more money a crimp tool costs, the better the performance. In addition, purchasing a quality tool will lead to high productivity. However, you also need to note that the price of a crimping tool does not always guarantee the quality. What matters most are the materials used to make the product.
A good crimp tool should be easy to modify. This will enable you to use the same tool for different sizes of pipes. With an adjustable crimp tool, you do not need to purchase different tools to do various tasks.
Ready To Buy The Best Pex Crimp Tools?
If you want to do your plumbing work more conveniently, all you need is a PEX crimp tool. These tools are very easy to use and are affordable. If you are searching for the best PEX crimp tool, you should consider IWISS PEX Clamp Cinch Tool. This tool is very versatile and affordable. It also comes with a long handle to make your work easier.
If you are searching for a long lasting tool, you should go for IWISS F1807 PEX Pipe Crimping Tool. It is easy to use and even comes with a storage case. If you prefer a battery powered PEX crimp tool, RIDGID Compact Press Tool Kit is the best. It even comes with an LED indicator which shows you the status of the battery.
However, if you are on a tight budget, you should consider Jinwen PEX Crimping Tool. It is a quality tool despite its price. For those searching for the best PEX crimp tool for both commercial and residential use, you should consider SharkBite 23251 ½ Inch, ¾ Inch PEX Crimping Tool.
It is our hope that this guide will help you make a decision on the best PEX crimp tool for your plumbing work.