With summer coming to a close, so does time spent enjoying the patio outdoors. Many of us have used patios as an escape from the great indoors during this quarantine, for we are not eager for the patio season to end. The good news is that it does not have to. With a patio heater, you can continue to enjoy your coveted outdoor space year-round.
Whether you are looking to heat your patio or seek to create comfortable year-round outdoor seating for your restaurant, this article will access the different kinds of patio heaters available and their function.
Table of Contents
- 1 Buyers Guide
- 2 Our Number #1 Pick
- 2.1 AmazonBasics Commercial, Propane 46,000 BTU, Outdoor Patio Heater with Wheels, Slate Gray
- 2.2 Natural Gas Patio Heaters
- 2.3 Propane
- 2.4 Electric
- 2.5 Infrared Patio Heaters:
- 2.6 Halogen Patio Heaters:
- 2.7 Hanging Patio Heater
- 2.8 Umbrella-Mounted Patio Heater
- 2.9 Wall-Mounted Patio Heater
- 2.10 Free Standing Patio Heater
- 2.11 Brands
- 2.12 Fire Sense Patio Heaters
- 2.13 AZ Patio Heaters
- 3 Questions
- 4 Conclusion
Having a patio heater is essential when it comes to enjoying your outdoor space during the colder months. There are three main types of patio heaters: natural gas, propane, and electric. Every kind of outdoor heater comes with its strength functions and applications. If your in a rush and want to just skip to our number # 1 Pick look below:
Our Number #1 Pick
AmazonBasics Commercial, Propane 46,000 BTU, Outdoor Patio Heater with Wheels, Slate Gray
- Outdoor gas heater with 46,000 BTUs, providing heat up to a 9-foot radius. Ideal for commercial cafes and restaurants or residential patios
- Made with aluminum, sturdy plastic, and rugged steel with a durable powder-coated finish that stands up to outdoor elements
- Piezo ignition system for easy push-button start ups; requires 20lb Liquid Propane Gas tank (not included); chain to help secure LPG tank provided.
- Safety auto shut-off tilt valve; waterbox for adding weight to the base; wheel assembly included for easy mobility
- Measures approximately 18 by 89 inches (LxH); weighs 38 pounds
- Durable, powder-coated Slate Gray finish
- Heat output of 46,000 BTU’s
- Piezo ignition
- Safety auto shut-off tilt valve
- Wheel assembly included
- Measures approximately 18×89 inches (L x H)
- Secure the patio heater when not in use to avoid any potential damage to the patio heater
There is no wonder why this affordable and well-reviewed patio heater is Amazon’s Choice seller in outdoor heaters.
Natural Gas Patio Heaters
Natural Gas Patio Heaters tend to be pricier than other models upfront. However, they are cheaper to operate in the long run because they run on natural gas. One of the most significant issues with patio heaters is being able to run them for a long time.
A natural gas patio heater can run indefinitely by a natural gas line. While being connected to a gas line is a bonus for longevity, being permanently attached to the gas line does limit its portability.
Most natural gas patio heaters are standing units. They should be used in open outdoor areas to promote safe aeration of any fumes at all times.
Propane heaters are an excellent, portable way to heat a patio. Since these patio heaters do not require a natural gas connection, you can place them anywhere. Your heating time is limited to how much propane you have, and you will need to either refill or buy new propane tanks. A typical 20lb propane tank will run an outdoor heater for roughly 10 hours.
Propane patio heaters are available in standing and tabletop units. Standing units are suitable for heating space and making it enjoyable. Simultaneously, tabletop patio heaters are great for heating small areas and are ideal for outdoor dining.
Electric patio heaters come in various heating methods and styles, and it is up to you to choose the one which works optimally for your space. The two heating methods are infrared and halogen and you can hang them up in your gazebo, leave them freestanding or mount them on a wall or umbrella. Electric patio heaters are a versatile group but tend to cost more to operate.
Infrared Patio Heaters:
Infrared patio heaters release energy using infrared rays that are then absorbed by people and surfaces directly in the infrared heater’s line of heat distribution.
Because infrared heaters only heat objects and people but not air, infrared heat is energy-efficient. Infrared heaters are also environmentally friendly, quiet, and start heating quickly.
However, infrared heaters emit a certain amount of light, depending on the model, which may or may not be an issue for you. Because infrared heaters only heat objects and people in their direct line of heat distribution, they are not useful for heating large spaces.
When the heater is not in operation, the area cools relatively quickly.
- 【Advanced Infrared Tech】With carbon fiber gold-coated tubes, Trustech infrared vertical patio heater targets at high accuracy of heating, which...
- Recommended primarily for SHELTERED external use. Do NOT expose to rain or moisture.
- DUAL USE - Comes with hardware for mounting on walls or ceilings. Also comes with an adjustable tripod stand.
Halogen Patio Heaters:
Halogen heaters work by sending an electrical current through a halogen bulb, which causes it to heat up; however, the machine’s exterior stays cool to the touch. With a cool surface, halogen patio heaters are a safe option for kids and pets. Compared to other heaters, halogen heaters are costly to run. Halogen heaters also emit light.
Both infrared and halogen electric patio heaters are generally safe under covered porches and other semi-enclosed spaces but always check and follow the manufacturer guidelines.
- 🔅Faster AND 3 Mode: Equipped with 3 halogen tubes as heating e/lement, the electric heater warms within 1 second. The patio heater delivers...
- ADVANCED HEATING TECHNOLOGY: Adapting 3 halogen tubes as heating element, Air Choice patio heater warms just like sunlight within seconds. The halogen...
- 🌞【5 Second Heating & Environment Friendly】the electric heater warms within 1 second by equipped with 3 halogen tubes as heating element. This...
Hanging Patio Heater
A hanging electric patio heater would do well suspended in a small place, perfect for heating a covered patio or gazebo. There are many models available, including everything from a necessary heater to built-in ceiling fans.
- 【 Practical 】 Hanging electric heater, it has 750W / 1500W power.It can be used indoors for different rooms, as well as for outdoor gardens.We use...
- Advance Infrared Technology: This outdoor patio heater use advanced infrared technology to produce infrared thermal light that is easy for the body to...
- ※ [ Easy for installation ]: A 39.4in/1m adjustable chain can disassemble and adjust the distance at any time and the most appropriate height for...
Umbrella-Mounted Patio Heater
Chances are, if you have been enjoying the patio this summer, you have an umbrella gazebo setup. Umbrella-mounted patio heaters are just what they sound like and would make an excellent addition to your patio setup. By attaching to the center pole of the umbrella, you are sure to enjoy your patio as the weather changes since it is foldable and can quickly be stored away.
- ✿Easy To Use And Install~3 foldable heating panels can operate independertly. The arms fold closely to the umbrella pole for easy storage.Simple...
- ✅Infrared heater: using halogen bulb, large heat dissipation area, fast heating, no damage to eyes, can be installed on the sun visor, very suitable...
- ★Infrared heater with LED: using halogen bulb, large heat dissipation area, fast heating, low brightness, no harm to the eyes; no dust, no noise,...
Wall-Mounted Patio Heater
This setup is another patio heater mounting method that is just as convenient as the previous mentioned. By using a bracket, you will be able to put this heater just about anywhere. You could attach it to your deck or directly to the side of your house. You can connect the wall-mounted patio heater virtually to any wall to make your outdoor space comfortable year-round.
- 🌞FAST HEATING: KEY TEK Patio Heater has high heating efficiency and fast heating speed with advanced infrared technology. It has a high power of...
- 【1S INSTANT WARM & ECO-FRIENDLY】 VQVG electric patio heater features advanced golden tube heating element can provide warmth within 1 second,...
- 【RAPID HEATING & INFRARED HEATER】PAMAPIC patio electric heater can be operated immediately to heat up when the switch is turned on. Unlike heaters...
Free Standing Patio Heater
Freestanding patio heaters require very little set up. As they tend to be larger than their hanging or mounted counterparts, they also tend to put off more heat, making them ideal for larger spaces. This would be an ideal setup for large gatherings or areas that require plenty of surface heat to distribute.
- OUTDOOR LIFE JUST FEELS RIGHT WITH STAR PATIO INFRARED PATIO HEATERS. Provides instant, steady, silent heating with one simple power setting of 1500W....
- 🔥【Fast & Quiet heating】 The heating speed is super fast, it not more than 5 seconds, the wide of the heating is 3-5 meters, it only need 30...
- Easy to Use: Provides instant, steady, and quiet heat. Heats up to 12 sq.ft. Minimal set-up required. 5100 BTUs.
There are many brands of patio heaters to choose from. Here we will be discussing just a couple of them, so it is important to have an open mind and consider all of your options when it comes to selecting a brand that you trust.
Fire Sense Patio Heaters
Fire Sense has been making electric fireplaces and outdoor heaters since 1998. These patio heaters can be found anywhere from Amazon to Wayfair, making Fire Sense an easy way to find a solution to your patio heating needs.
Fire Sense offers patio heaters that are easy to use, including commercial quality propane heaters. Fire Sense products are perfect for heating an open outdoor space. In addition, if you leave a review of your Fire Sense product on the Fire Sense website, they will double the length of your warranty.
- High Output 46,000 BTU
- This outdoor patio heater is made using heavy duty powder coated steel.
- This tall outdoor heater cover will surely cover your standing patio heater.
AZ Patio Heaters
Established in 2002, AZ Patio Heaters not only offers a wide variety of patio heaters, but they also keep a complete line of replacement parts. AZ Patio heaters are at Target and other major retailers.
- Finish: Hammered Bronze
- Hiland 87-inch tall patio heater
- A safety valve shuts it off automatically Hiland 87" quartz glass tube patio heater
What About Commercial Patio Heaters?
If you are nervous about what running a restaurant in the wintertime will bring, a commercial patio heater might be the solution. With a few commercial patio heaters, you will keep your outdoor seating area open and comfortable year-round for your customers.
Commercial patio heaters are found in various styles, making it a sure shot to find a functional heater that is an aesthetically pleasing addition to your restaurant’s décor.
Keep in mind that you do not have to own a restaurant to own a commercial patio heater – your patio could always benefit from a robust heater if you so please.
Are Patio Heaters Worth It?
Only you can decide if a patio heater is worth it for you and your outdoor patio needs.
Are you spending enough time out in your backyard? Do you prefer to spend more time outside of your home than you do inside?
If you find that you are spending a lot of time on your patio, then the investment for a patio heater is worth it. If the idea of hanging out on your patio in the snow while you are warm and comfortable is unappealing, then patio heaters are not for you. It all boils down to how much time you are spending on your patio.
As a restaurant or bar owner, a patio heater will keep your outdoor space comfortable year-round. Before COVID-19, having a heated outdoor space may not have been necessary, but with social distancing guidelines in place, having a functional and comfortable outdoor space is a must.
Can You Put A Patio Heater Under A Covered Porch?
You will need to do some research and always check the manufacturer’s instructions. Generally, electric outdoor heaters are safe under a covered porch while open flames are not. Most propane and gas heaters are not recommended for use in covered areas. Use propane and gas heaters according to manufacturer specifications.
Gas Or Electric Patio Heater?
Gas and electric patio heaters both have their advantages. It all comes down to the space that you want to heat. A natural gas heater will be more costly upfront but cheaper to run in the long term. You will also need to make sure that there is enough air circulation to aerate any potentially dangerous fumes.
Propane patio heaters are portable, while an electric patio heater can only operate on a covered and enclosed outdoor patio. Depending on your space, you will need to choose your patio heater’s configuration and heating method wisely.
A patio heater can make your outdoor space a comfortable place to hang out year-round. After analyzing the different kinds of patio heaters available along with their functions, it is clear that there are plenty of options to choose from.
Electric outdoor heaters tend to be safe for use on covered patios, but are often best suited for small spaces. Propane heaters are portable but have limitations set by the size of their propane tanks. Natural gas patio heaters offer unlimited heating time but are not very mobile.
With the wide variety of patio heater options available, you will indeed find the perfect outdoor heater for your needs if you determine what it is that you will be using it most for.