More and more, people are leaving physical books on the shelf and turning to audiobooks. Perhaps it’s due to longer commute times, or due to how accessible they are now (Source).
Whatever your reason for listening is, the best MP3 players for audiobooks allow you to listen to your audiobook whenever you want and wherever you are.
Audiobooks are narrated audio versions of books originally in print. You can get them from many sources, including Audible, Google, and Kobo (Source). While there are many MP3 players on the market, the best MP3 player for audiobooks has features like bookmarking, higher storage capacity, and longer battery life.
MP3 players for audiobooks are great for passing time on your commute, traveling, or just hanging out at home. If you don’t have a smartphone, or your phone doesn’t have a lot of storage, MP3 players are a great option for playing audiobooks.
MP3 players for audiobooks are also perfect for the elderly or the visually impaired. They’re also great for those who love books but suffer from dyslexia or other reading difficulties.
Prior to purchasing an MP3 player for your audiobooks, you’ll want to consider its storage capacity and its battery life. You might also want to consider if it also allows you to read e-books. Finally, you’ll want to consider its physical size and portability.
The next time you press play, make sure you do it on one of these top-rated MP3 players for audiobooks.
What’s The Best MP3 Player For Listening Audiobooks?
Table of Contents
- 1 What’s The Best MP3 Player For Listening Audiobooks?
- 2 Comparing The Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks
- 3 1. Apple iPod Touch – Best Overall
- 4 2. Creative Zen MP3 Player – Best MP3 Player With Bookmarking
- 5 3. Apple iPod Touch – Most Portable
- 6 4. Soulcker MP3 Player With FM And Voice Recorder – Most Control-Friendly
- 7 5. Timmkoo Compact MP3 Player – Best Compact MP3
- 8 6. SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Player – Best For Any Budget
- 9 7. Dansrue MP3 Player with Bluetooth, 8GB Metal Digital Music Audiobook Player – Best For Wireless Bluetooth Connection
- 10 8. HonTaseng Portable Metal Touch Button Music Player – Most Durable
- 11 9. AGPTEK 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player Touch Button – Multifunctional MP3 Player
- 12 10. MP3 Player 8GB Bluetooth KLANTOP Digital Clip Music Player – Most Lightweight
- 13 How Much Does An MP3 Player For Audiobooks Cost?
- 14 What Factors to Consider When Buying an MP3 Player For Audiobooks?
- 15 How to Convert Audiobooks To MP3 Format?
- 16 Ready To Buy The Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks?
When it comes to quality mp3 players, Apple iPod Touch has no comparison. Apple was the first company to launch a full-fledged MP3 device on a global scale.
The iPod Touch has been reputed for its versatile features, such as:
- Storage – The high-end 128 GB storage capacity on this mp3 player makes it a perfect device for listening audiobooks on the go. It gives you the flexibility to store thousands of audio files.
- Battery backup – Its state-of-the-art battery ensures that you get 40 hours of playback time for listening to audiobooks.
- Connectivity – Apple’s premium mp3 player for audiobooks and music also uses versatile connectivity options, like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, to transfer data wirelessly.
- Accessibility – The iPod Touch is quite app-friendly. You can download audiobooks from various apps without interruptions.
- Portability – iPods are quite lightweight, which is why it is easy to carry them around in pockets easily. You can also accessorize these mp3 players using cases and arm straps for extra portability.
All these features in this mp3 player are offered through the trusted manufacturing compliances under Apple for ensuring a premium product.
Comparing The Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks
|Apple iPod Touch|
|Creative Zen MP3 Player|
|Apple iPod Nano|
|Soulcker MP3 Player With FM And Voice Recorder|
|Timmkoo Compact MP3 Player|
|SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Player|
|Dansrue MP3 Player with Bluetooth|
|HonTaseng Portable Metal Touch Button Music Player|
|AGPTEK 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player|
|MP3 Player 8GB Bluetooth KLANTOP Digital Clip Music Player|
1. Apple iPod Touch – Best Overall
Unlike others, this one has a capacity of 128 GB of storage. If you have numerous audiobooks, it provides more than enough space to store your files. This device is also lightweight and barely noticeable when it is in your pockets.
Another exceptional feature of this device is the large touch screen which provides a very clear display. This screen enables you to manage your files easily. You can also download files from the internet since it is Wi-Fi enabled. This also means you can access the app store and download popular Audiobooks apps such as Overdrive and Audible.
Availability of WiFi connectivity allows you to download files directly to your device without using a PC. The device also allows you to share files via Bluetooth connectivity which means you can listen to your favorite audio books through wireless headphones and other Bluetooth enabled devices. It has a long lasting battery which provides up to 40 hours of audio playback.
2. Creative Zen MP3 Player – Best MP3 Player With Bookmarking
The only drawback is that it lacks a volume control button. Creative Zen MP3 player has a capacity of 32GB and this means that it is capable of storing several audio files. In case you have more audio files than the size of the device, it comes with an SD card slot where you can store more files.
Another impressive thing is that the battery is long-lasting and gives you up to 25 hours of continuous audio play. What makes this device among the best MP3 players for audio books is that it supports all audio files. It is also compatible with audio files downloaded from Overdrive and Audible apps.
On top of that, it supports all unprotected AAC files which means you can play those songs you have downloaded from iTunes, .WAV, protected or unprotected WMA tracks, and also MP3. However, the Zen MP3 player is not compatible with Mac OS.
It also comes with a bookmarking feature that enables you to place about 10 bookmarkers which you can revisit later.
3. Apple iPod Touch – Most Portable
Despite its size, the memory is quite impressive since it provides 32 6GB of storage. It also provides 30 hours battery life which allows you to listen to your audiobooks without any worry of the device running out of juice. It doesn’t have the bookmarking feature but you can pause the book then turn off the device. You can then turn it on and it will continue from the same place. Some people prefer to take notes on their phone of where you were.
4. Soulcker MP3 Player With FM And Voice Recorder – Most Control-Friendly
Furthermore, its Bluetooth functionality ensures that you have decent connectivity with wireless earphones, speakers, and other audio units for uninterrupted and hassle-free enjoyment.
Even its sound quality is top-notch, which makes it an ideal choice for listening to audiobooks. A playback time of at least 55 hours on a full charge is equally important to make this the best MP3 player for audiobooks for entertainment in the market.
5. Timmkoo Compact MP3 Player – Best Compact MP3
This sturdy built-in clamp lets you clip it on your clothes – thus, letting you enjoy your audiobooks, etc., without interruptions. Not to mention, the screen is a capacitive touch-based to ensure a smooth and simple operation while you choose between music and other options.
You can easily connect these to any wireless speakers or earbuds for listening without worrying about wires.
6. SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Player – Best For Any Budget
This one has an internal storage capacity of 8 GB which is enough if you don’t have many files to store. If you feel that the capacity is not enough, it allows you to insert a memory card through the SD card slot provided. The battery lasts for 18 hours which is still enough time to listen to different audiobooks.
Despite the cost, it is long-lasting and features an OLED display that is visible from all angles. The menu interface is very easy to navigate and this makes it the best choice for those with little experience with electronics. You can navigate through the tactile buttons available on the device. This one is the easiest MP3 audiobook player to use.
Another thing is that it is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS. It does not allow Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity but it allows the sharing of files from a computer.
Apart from an mp3 player, if you are searching for the most popular type of headphone available which is an affordable and great-sounding pair, consider buying a Headphone.
7. Dansrue MP3 Player with Bluetooth, 8GB Metal Digital Music Audiobook Player – Best For Wireless Bluetooth Connection
This one has an internal capacity of 8 GB and contains an expansion slot where you can insert a 128 GB memory card. You can also use it to view pictures, record conference memos, watch videos, and listen to music among other tasks. The device comes with a built-in lithium battery which lasts for 60 hours of continuous audio play. It requires just 2 hours to charge.
Unlike others, it is enclosed in a metal shell and it is very compact. It fits perfectly in your wallet or pockets.
8. HonTaseng Portable Metal Touch Button Music Player – Most Durable
The touch button provides smooth operation and all the buttons are very sensitive. You just need to touch the buttons lightly when operating the device. You can use the lock screen button when the device is not in use.
The gadget provides a brilliant listening experience as compared to other MP3 players. It has a crystal clear sound which makes it incomparable with other MP3 players. Another thing is that it is connected to an armband facility feature that enables you to listen to music or books as you do other things.
In addition, the device takes just 2.5 hours to charge and goes for 30 hours. The device has a capacity of 64 GB.
9. AGPTEK 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player Touch Button – Multifunctional MP3 Player
It has touch buttons which are very sensitive. It also contains 6 touch buttons and also features an independent locking mechanism. The device also contains a voice recording key and the screen is operated through touching.
Another stupendous feature of the device is the HIFI lossless sound quality which makes it among the top MP3 players. In addition, it has an intelligent noise reduction feature. The device is a multifunctional device which can be attached to an FM radio. Additionally, it supports different book reading formats.
10. MP3 Player 8GB Bluetooth KLANTOP Digital Clip Music Player – Most Lightweight
It weighs 22.5 grams and if you have come across an Apple Watch, this MP3 player has a similar design. Unlike others, it has a hook that allows you to fix it securely to your pockets. This means the wearable clip option enables you to listen to your favorite audiobooks as you do other activities such as jogging, cycling, and hiking.
The device works well with Bluetooth version 2.0-4.0. It is multifunctional which means it can perform several functions at once. You can listen to FM radio, read E-books, voice record, listen to audiobooks, and your favorite music.
How Much Does An MP3 Player For Audiobooks Cost?
MP3 players for audiobooks can cost anywhere between $20 and $800. The drastic variation in these prices is based on brand, features, warranty, built quality, etc.
Expensive ones might also include earphones, subscriptions to audiobooks, etc., which can save you the extra expenses.
What Factors to Consider When Buying an MP3 Player For Audiobooks?
You will need to consider the following factors when buying an MP3 player for audiobooks:
- Playback Quality – An MP3 needs to have a clean output for you to listen to the audio files. The quality of the words spoken in the audio file needs to be comfortable to the ears.
- Battery Life – Audiobooks are longer in duration than music files, which is why your chosen mp3 player needs to have good battery life. It needs to have at least 15 hours of backup.
- Storage – An mp3 player for audiobooks also needs to have ample space for storing files. At least 8 GB of storage would be prudent for your listening needs.
- Compatibility – Your chosen player should have a playback capability for all standard audio formats, such as WMV, AAC, MP3, M4A, etc. Make sure your selected device can play them.
- Navigation – MP3 players need to have features like bookmarking to resume listening from the paused duration.
- Connectivity – Modern technology is all about wireless connectivity for sharing data. Your opted device should also have such features.
How to Convert Audiobooks To MP3 Format?
Audiobooks offer the convenience of going through your favorite books by listening instead of reading. That is why portable mp3 players are available nowadays to enjoy them on the go.
But, some mp3 players cannot play specific audio file formats, such as AAC, M4A, WMA, etc. This issue arises when you try to import and listen to Audible audiobooks on incompatible players.
For such players, the only readable extension is MP3. So, you will have to convert the downloaded audiobook file into a compatible one. Several ways exist to achieve this. Some of them are:
- iTunes – For quality conversion, iTunes can be a good option. But, the process might not be that simple. It requires importing the audiobook file using an MP3 Encoder.
- Offline Software (PC) – Many software exist for converting audiobooks into mp3 format on a PC. These applications come with instructions to do it correctly.
- Online Converters – You can also upload an audiobook file on an mp3 conversion portal online. Such platforms are compatible with all available audiobook formats.
Besides the tools, there are websites from where you can download audiobooks directly in mp3 formats to listen to them on your mp3 players.
Although, to avoid converting every time, make sure to buy an mp3 player that is capable of running all major audio formats without the need for conversion later.
Ready To Buy The Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks?
Nowadays, an MP3 player can do so much more than just play your favorite songs. Their support for high-definition audio gives you the benefit of listening to your favorite audiobooks without a hassle. You get an immersive experience with these, which will surely be worth an investment.
However, you do need to invest in the right machine, as audiobooks require more space as compared to music files. That’s where this guide is your savior at finding the right audiobook player to suit your needs. Additionally, you do need a capable player for audiobooks that has a satisfying battery backup, as such virtual books are quite long.
Leave your confusions and look for an audiobook mp3 player that can give you the necessary oomph for enjoying a beautiful listening session of your favorite books digitally.
You might also be interested in other digital players and accessories to enhance your listening experience. The following guides will surely help with that.