More and more, people are leaving physical books on the shelf and turning to audiobooks. Perhaps it’s due to longer commute times, or due to how accessible they are now (Source).
Whatever your reason for listening is, the best MP3 players for audiobooks allow you to listen to your audiobook whenever you want and wherever you are.
Audiobooks are narrated audio versions of books originally in print. You can get them from many sources, including Audible, Google, and Kobo (Source). While there are many MP3 players on the market, the best MP3 players for audiobooks have features like bookmarking. They might also have a higher storage capacity, as well as longer battery life.
MP3 players for audiobooks are great for passing time on your commute, traveling, or just hanging out at home. If you don’t have a smartphone, or your phone doesn’t have a lot of storage, MP3 players are a great option for playing audiobooks.
MP3 players for audiobooks are also perfect for the elderly or the visually impaired. They’re also great for those who love books but suffer from dyslexia or other reading difficulties.
Prior to purchasing an MP3 player for your audiobooks, you’ll want to consider its storage capacity and its battery life. You might also want to consider if it also allows you to read e-books. Finally, you’ll want to consider its physical size and portability.
The next time you press play, make sure you do it on one of these top-rated MP3 players for audiobooks.
What’s The Best MP3 Player For Listening Audiobooks?
Table of Contents
- 1 What’s The Best MP3 Player For Listening Audiobooks?
- 2 Comparing The Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks
- 3 1. Apple iPod Touch – Best Overall
- 4 2. Creative Zen MP3 Player – Best MP3 Player With Bookmarking
- 5 3. Apple iPod Nano – Most Portable
- 6 4. Evasa MP3 Player – Best Design
- 7 5. Grtdhx 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player – Best Performance
- 8 6. SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Player – Best For Any Budget
- 9 7. Dansrue MP3 Player with Bluetooth, 8GB Metal Digital Music Audio Player – Best For Wireless Bluetooth Connection
- 10 8. HonTaseng Portable Metal Touch Button Music Player – Most Durable
- 11 9. AGPTEK 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player Touch Button – Multifunctional MP3 Player
- 12 10. MP3 Player 8GB Bluetooth KLANTOP Digital Clip Music Player – Most Lightweight
- 13 What Factors to Consider When Buying an MP3 Player For Audiobooks?
- 14 How to Convert Audiobooks To MP3 Format?
- 15 Ready To Buy The Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks?
When it comes to quality mp3 players, Apple’s iPod Touch has no comparison. Apple was the first company to launch a full-fledged MP3 device on a global scale.
The iPod Touch has been reputed for its versatile features, such as:
- Storage – The high-end 128 GB storage capacity on this mp3 player makes it a perfect device for listening audiobooks on the go. It gives you the flexibility to store thousands of audio files.
- Battery backup – Its state-of-the-art battery ensures that you get 40 hours of playback time for listening to audiobooks.
- Connectivity – Apple’s premium mp3 player for audiobooks and music also uses versatile connectivity options, like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, to transfer data wirelessly.
- Accessibility – The iPod Touch is quite app-friendly. You can download audiobooks from various apps without interruptions.
- Portability – iPods are quite lightweight, which is why it is easy to carry them around in pockets easily. You can also accessorize these mp3 players using cases and arm straps for extra portability.
All these features in this mp3 player are offered through the trusted manufacturing compliances under Apple for ensuring a premium product.
Comparing The Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks
|Apple iPod Touch|
|Creative Zen MP3 Player|
|Apple iPod Nano|
|Evasa MP3 Player|
|Grtdhx 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player|
|SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Player|
|Dansrue MP3 Player with Bluetooth|
|HonTaseng Portable Metal Touch Button Music Player|
|AGPTEK 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player|
|MP3 Player 8GB Bluetooth KLANTOP Digital Clip Music Player|
1. Apple iPod Touch – Best OverallApple is a leading company when it comes to production of quality devices such as MP3 players. One of the best products from Apple is the Apple iPod Touch which is a great product for those who love listening to audiobooks.
Unlike others, this one has a capacity of 128 GB of storage. If you have numerous audiobooks, it provides more than enough space to store your files. This device is also lightweight and rarely noticeable when it is in your pockets.
Another exceptional feature of this device is the large touch screen which provides a very clear display. This screen enables you to manage your files easily. You can also download files from the internet since it is Wi-Fi enabled. This also means you can access the app store and download popular Audiobooks apps such as Overdrive and Audible.
Availability of Wi-Fi connectivity allows you to download files directly to your device without using a PC. The device also allows you to share files via Bluetooth which means you can listen to your favorite audiobooks through wireless headphones and other Bluetooth enabled devices. It has a long lasting battery which provides up to 40 hours of audio playback.
2. Creative Zen MP3 Player – Best MP3 Player With BookmarkingThis one weights 60 grams which makes it easy to carry. Despite its small size, it has a large and clear non-touch screen with user-friendly buttons.
The only drawback is that it lacks a volume control button. Creative Zen MP3 player has a capacity of 32GB and this means that it is capable of storing several audio files. In case you have more audio files than the size of the device, it comes with a SD card slot where you can store more files.
Another impressive thing is that the battery is long lasting and gives you up to 25 hours of continuous audio play. What makes this device among the best is that it supports all audio files. It is also compatible with audio files downloaded from Overdrive and Audible apps.
On top of that, it supports all unprotected AAC files which means you can play those songs you have downloaded from iTunes, wav, protected or unprotected WMA tracks and also MP3. However, it is not compatible with Mac OS.
It also comes with a bookmarking feature which enables you to place about 10 bookmarkers which you can revisit later.
3. Apple iPod Nano – Most PortableIf you are searching for a device that is not bulky, this one is one of the best because it has a sleek and small design. It weighs about 31 grams only which means it can fit perfectly in your pocket. It has a touch screen which makes it easy to use. However, the touch screen is small and may not be easy for those with eye problem to use.
Despite its size, the memory is quite impressive since it provides 16GB of storage. It also provides 30 hours battery life which allows you to listen to your audiobooks without any worry of the device running out of juice. It doesn’t have the bookmarking feature but you can pause the book then turn off the device. You can then turn it on and it will continue from the same place. Some people prefer to take notes on their phone of where you were.
4. Evasa MP3 Player – Best DesignThis one has an attractive design and it is very easy to carry due to its compact size. You can give it as a gift to your friend since it’s not expensive.
It has an internal capacity of 16 GB which is enough for carrying several audiobooks. In addition, it has a micro SD slot where you can insert a memory card to access more files. Another thing is that it has a 3.5 audio jack port which enables you to access large number of play modes. It also features a noise-canceling recorder to make the audio clear.
Moreover, the device is very easy to use since it features a key which locks and unlocks the screen. It also comes with a volume control button. When you want to copy files from a computer, you can simply drag and drop files directly. The best thing with this gadget is that it comes with a one-year warranty.
5. Grtdhx 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player – Best PerformanceThis one is another top quality MP3 player you need to consider. It has Bluetooth properties and provides a stable transmission when using the Bluetooth feature. In addition, it has lossless sound quality which works on HIFI basis. This means that it provides a more clear sound as compared to others.
If you are searching for a device that supports different audio formats such as APE, WMA, WAV, MP3, FLAC, ACEP and AAC-LC, this one might be the best for you. The device is attached to a Bluetooth adapter and has a capacity of up to 16 GB. You can extend he memory through an external storage device up to 128 GB.
Unlike others, it supports voice recording and FM radio. It also acts as a file browser which means you can read your favorite E-books when using the device. You can also connect it to on Bluetooth devices through the Bluetooth adaptor. The battery takes 3 hours to charge and provides 60 hours of continuous audio play.
6. SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Player – Best For Any BudgetAre you in need of a quality MP3 player but you are on a tight budget? SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 player is a great device you should consider. The best thing with this gadget is that it is lightweight since it weighs 22 grams only. It comes with a nifty clip which holds it closely to belt or shirt to ensure that it is very secure when you are doing other activities.
This one has an internal storage capacity of 8 GB which is enough if you don’t have many files to store. If you feel that the capacity is not enough, it allows you to insert a memory card through the SD card slot provided. The battery lasts for 18 hours which is still enough time to listen to different audiobooks.
Despite the cost, it is long lasting and features an OLED display which is visible from all angles. The menu interface is very easy to navigate and this makes it the best choice for those with little experience with electronics. You can navigate through the tactile buttons available on the device. This one is the easiest MP3 player to use.
Another thing is that it is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS. It does not allow Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity but it allows sharing of files from a computer.
Apart from an mp3 player, if you are searching for the most popular type of headphone available which is an affordable and great-sounding pair, consider buying an In-Ear Headphone.
7. Dansrue MP3 Player with Bluetooth, 8GB Metal Digital Music Audio Player – Best For Wireless Bluetooth ConnectionOne of the outstanding things about this device is that it can be linked with any wireless devices such as headphones, speakers and with cars which has 0000 pin. It comes with very powerful features to boost your listening experience.
This one has an internal capacity of 8 GB and contains an expansion slot where you can insert a 128 GB memory card. You can also use it to view pictures, record conference memos, watch videos and listen to music among other tasks. The device comes with a built-in lithium battery which lasts for 60 hours of continuous audio play. It requires just 2 hours to charge.
Unlike others, it is enclosed in a metal shell and it is very compact. It fits perfectly in your wallet or pockets.
8. HonTaseng Portable Metal Touch Button Music Player – Most DurableThis one is one of the most long lasting MP3 players you can find today. It is enclosed in a metal case which makes it safe when it is in use. Besides that, it comes with a touch button and a lock screen key feature to ensure that all your operations are protected.
The touch button provides a smooth operation and all the buttons are very sensitive. You just need to touch the buttons lightly when operating the device. You can use the lock screen button when the device is not in use.
The gadget provides a brilliant listening experience as compared to other MP3 players. It has a crystal clear sound which makes it incomparable with other MP3 players. Another thing is that it is connected to an armband facility feature that enables you to listen to music or books as you do other things.
In addition, the device takes just 2.5 hours to charge and goes for 30 hours. The device has a capacity of 64 GB.
9. AGPTEK 16GB Bluetooth MP3 Player Touch Button – Multifunctional MP3 PlayerThis one is another device you won’t regret buying due to its incredible features. To start with, it has a sleek design and it is very fashionable as compared to other MP3 players. It is Bluetooth connected which means it allows sharing of files from different devices. The MP3 player can accommodate up to 16 GB files. The best thing is that you can extend the size to up to 128 GB.
It has touch buttons which are very sensitive. It also contains 6 touch buttons and also features an independent locking mechanism. The device also contains a voice recording key and the screen is operated through touching.
Another stupendous feature of the device is the HIFI lossless sound quality which makes it among the top MP3 players. In addition, it has an intelligent noise reduction feature. The device is a multifunctional device which can be attached to an FM radio. Additionally, it supports different book reading formats.
10. MP3 Player 8GB Bluetooth KLANTOP Digital Clip Music Player – Most LightweightThis one has a storage capacity of 8 GB but the memory can be extended through the expansion slot provided. You just need to insert a 32 GB memory card if you need to add more files. It provides 30 hours of audio playback when fully charged. The device is lightweight and only ideal for people who love listening to audiobooks.
It weighs 22.5 grams and if you have come across an Apple Watch, this MP3 player has a similar design. Unlike others, it has a hook which allows you to fix it securely to your pockets. This means the wearable clip option enables you to listen to your favorite audiobooks as you do other activities such as jogging, cycling and hiking.
The device works well with Bluetooth version 2.0-4.0. It is multifunctional which means it can perform several functions at once. You can listen to FM radio, read E-books, voice record, listen to audiobooks and your favorite music.
What Factors to Consider When Buying an MP3 Player For Audiobooks?
You will need to consider the following factors when buying an MP3 player for audiobooks:
- Playback Quality – An MP3 needs to have a clean output for you to listen to the audio files. The quality of the words spoken in the audio file needs to be comfortable to the ears.
- Battery Life – Audiobooks are longer in duration than music files, which is why your chosen mp3 player needs to have good battery life. It needs to have at least 15 hours of backup.
- Storage – An mp3 player for audiobooks also needs to have ample space for storing files. At least 8 GB of storage would be prudent for your listening needs.
- Compatibility – Your chosen player should have a playback capability for all standard audio formats, such as WMV, AAC, MP3, M4A, etc. Make sure your selected device can play them.
- Navigation – MP3 players need to have features like bookmarking to resume listening from the paused duration.
- Connectivity – Modern technology is all about wireless connectivity for sharing data. Your opted device should also have such features.
How to Convert Audiobooks To MP3 Format?
Audiobooks offer the convenience of going through your favorite books by listening instead of reading. That is why portable mp3 players are available nowadays to enjoy them on the go.
But, some mp3 players cannot play specific audio file formats, such as AAC, M4A, WMA, etc. This issue arises when you try to import and listen to Audible audiobooks on incompatible players.
For such players, the only readable extension is MP3. So, you will have to convert the downloaded audiobook file into a compatible one. Several ways exist to achieve this. Some of them are:
- iTunes – For quality conversion, iTunes can be a good option. But, the process might not be that simple. It requires importing the audiobook file using an MP3 Encoder.
- Offline Software (PC) – Many software exist for converting audiobooks into mp3 format on a PC. These applications come with instructions to do it correctly.
- Online Converters – You can also upload an audiobook file on an mp3 conversion portal online. Such platforms are compatible with all available audiobook formats.
Besides the tools, there are websites from where you can download audiobooks directly in mp3 formats to listen to them on your mp3 players.
Although, to avoid converting every time, make sure to buy an mp3 player that is capable of running all major audio formats without the need for conversion later.
Ready To Buy The Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks?
If you are one of those who love listening to audiobooks, an MP3 player is the best for you. This is because unlike laptops or smartphone, an MP3 player is portable and easy to use.
Audiobooks require more space as compared to music files and from the reviews, you can see that most of these MP3 players have enough space where you can store your audiobooks. Most of the layer comes with a long-lasting battery which will allow you to listen to your audiobooks for long hours.
It is our hope that if you have been searching for the best MP3 player for audiobooks, you already got what you were looking for from the above list. If you are still not sure which one is the best for you, you should consider those factors that we have mentioned above.
Are you looking for a way to entertain your kids with music all day long? Consider buying the right CD player for kids. Also, if you own a record player, read our guide about record cleaning machines. Finally, take a look at our guide for the best earbuds for more comfort and immense sound.