If you happen to love bike riding and you are good at DIY tinkering, then a bicycle engine kit is for you. It allows you to transform your standard bike into a motorized one capable of achieving speeds as high as 40 miles per hour.
You will still have to do a reasonable amount of pedaling, especially when going uphill. However, other than the minimal pedaling, a motorized bicycle is an efficient way of moving around, especially when you consider how fuel-efficient it is.
Besides, to get the most out of your motorized bike kit, there are some things you should consider. For instance, you should match the kit to your present bike. You should also understand the fuel to oil ratio required (Source).
Or, you can look for a brushless motor engine kit that powers itself through electric current for saving you extra costs on the fuel but sacrifices throttle.
Here is a review of the top-rated motorized bike kits complete with all the information you need.
How Much Do Motorized Bike Kits Cost?
Table of Contents
- 1 How Much Do Motorized Bike Kits Cost?
- 2 Comparing The Best Motorized Bike Kits
- 3 1. 49cc Flying Horse 5G 4-Stroke Bicycle Engine Assembly Motor + Carb + Exhaust—Best Replacement Kit
- 4 2. BBR Tuning 49cc Lock N Load 4 Stroke Friction Drive With Gas Power—The Best Bicycle Engine Kit with Excellent Transmission
- 5 3. Seeutek PK80 80cc Bicycle Engine Kit 2 Stroke Gas Motorized Bike Motor Kit Upgrade with Speedometer—Best Value Motorized Bike Kit
- 6 4. 66/80cc Flying Horse EPA Approved Silver Angle Fire 2-Stroke Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit—The Most Environment-Friendly Motorized Bicycle Kit
- 7 5. 80cc 26” 28” Bike Bicycle Motorized 2 Stroke Cycle Petrol Gas Engine Kit Set—Highly Rated Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit
- 8 What Is A Bicycle Motor Kit and How Does It Work?
- 9 Before Purchasing a Motorized Bicycle Kit
- 10 Ready To Buy The Best Motorized Bike Kit?
The average motorbike kit costs about $130. An inexpensive kit can cost as little as $80, while a higher-end kit will cost around $160. Accessories and additional mounts will cost extra.
If you’re talking about an eBike (electric bike) kit, these range from $300 to $800, with the greater range of availability and lower cost for equal performance, these reviews will focus on bike motors that require fuel.
Most bike motors will get between 100 and 150 miles per gallon of fuel. They require a small amount of oil and have minimal emissions, compared to other vehicles. The average motorized bike reaches speeds of 15 miles per hour, with high-end kits allowing upgrades up to 30 or 40 mph.
If you compare this to the cost of a moped, which has similar gas mileage and travel speeds, you’re looking at 50 to 80% savings, if you already own a compatible bike.
Comparing The Best Motorized Bike Kits
|49cc Flying Horse 5G 4-Stroke Bicycle Engine Assembly Motor||Flying Horse|
|BBR Tuning 49cc Lock N Load Bicycle Engine Kit||Flying Horse|
|Seeutek PK80 80cc Bicycle Engine Kit||Seeutek|
|66/80cc Flying Horse EPA Approved Silver Angle Fire Engine Kit||Flying Horse|
|80cc Bike Bicycle Motorized 2 Strok Engine Kit Set||RoadStar|
1. 49cc Flying Horse 5G 4-Stroke Bicycle Engine Assembly Motor + Carb + Exhaust—Best Replacement Kit
The engine’s height is 9”, the width 7” and length 9.5”. That means you need about 14 inches of clearance between the top and bottom bars for the engine to fit well. Therefore, if you own a 20” bike, this kit is not for you. If, on the other hand, you own a 26” cruiser type of bike, the kit will suffice.
While this motor can either sit inside a frame or be rear-mounted, you have to purchase the accompanying kits that allow this. For instance, if you want to rear mount the motor, then you have to buy the friction drive kit that makes it possible to install the engine on the rear of the bike.
The 5G denotes that the motor is the 5th generation. 49cc is the engine’s capacity, and in combination with other factors such as Horse Power, it helps determine your bike’s top speed after installation.
The 49cc 4-stroke motor, in particular, is designed to provide 10.2 KW of power and to reach speeds of 15 mph though you can always push it more. The bike can travel up to 100 miles per gallon, which means the motorized bike kit is incredibly fuel-efficient.
It is essential to note that while this kit comes with an assembly motor, a carburetor, and an exhaust, yet it lacks other components, such as the transmission. However, the parts involved are readily compatible with transmissions manufactured by other brands.
That means if you already own transmission or would prefer to purchase a transmission from another brand, the motor will still work. Also, this kit would make a perfect replacement kit if you wish to replace any of the components listed.
- The kit’s powerful engine that can easily move the bike uphill.
- Compatibility of this kit’s components with parts manufactured by varying brands.
- The kit is sturdy enough and long-lasting.
- The motor uses a forced air displacement cooling system which deals with overheating.
- Easy to mistake this kit for a full bike engine kit.
2. BBR Tuning 49cc Lock N Load 4 Stroke Friction Drive With Gas Power—The Best Bicycle Engine Kit with Excellent Transmission
Additionally, it is a four-stroke engine that is quieter and requires low maintenance. The engine kit has both a centrifugal clutch and a pull start. As a result, you do not need to engage or disengage the engine manually. Instead, you pull the starter chord then follow this up by hitting the throttle.
The engine has an independent oil reservoir, and that means the headache of determining the ratio of oil to the gas mixture is over. The separate reservoir facilitates a well-lubricated engine, which plays a significant role in ensuring the motor is reliable and long-lasting.
The engine has a 1.5-2.5 Horse Power (HP). Consequently, your bike will be able to reach a speed of between 20 and 25 mph. Additionally, the bike will easily travel 100 to 150 miles per gallon. This kind of high performance ensures you get value for your money if you decide to buy the kit.
The kit features a design that fits nearly all the bikes with standard tires easily. Because the motor mounts over the wheel and not on the frame, it makes it easier to attach this particular motor on a wide variety of bikes. That includes bikes with non-standard frames.
Thanks to the motor’s dimensions (9 x 9.5 x 7.5), the engine is compact which means that once installed, it will not spoil your bike’s aesthetic.
- Easy to mount and install—approximately three hours.
- The engine is compatible with tires of up to 3”.
- The motor has enough power for hilly terrains.
- The high-quality material used in manufacture which translates to a high-quality
- The kit lacks an installation manual.
3. Seeutek PK80 80cc Bicycle Engine Kit 2 Stroke Gas Motorized Bike Motor Kit Upgrade with Speedometer—Best Value Motorized Bike Kit
No products found.Seeutek is just as reputable a brand as Flying Horse. This kit from Seeutek comes with all the components and instructions required to motorize your bike fully. It fits most bikes with 26” and 28” wheels.
If your bike has at least 9”-11” of clearance between the bottom bracket and the top bar. Examples of the bikes that fit well with this kit include the Mountain bike, a Cruiser, or a Chopper Road.
The kit has an 80cc engine capacity, it is a two-stroke, and it has between 5 and 6 HP (Horse Power). Thanks to this kind of Horse Power, your bike can go as fast as 35 mph. Also, your bike will be able to travel 100-150 miles per gallon. That means the kit facilitates fuel economy.
Note that because the engine is a two-stroke, it does not have an independent oil reservoir. You have to mix fuel and the engine oil at a ratio of 16:1. You must maintain this ratio for new sets then shift to a 25:1 ratio after covering 300Km/186.5 miles.
Oil is vital to the health of an engine, and it is prudent that you never forget to mix the fuel and engine oil if you want to prolong engine life.
The Seeutek PK80 does not have a pull start. Therefore, to start, you need to move the choke lever to the “on” position. Follow this up by holding the clutch and pedaling the bike fast to get some speed. Finally, gradually release the clutch. To stop, disengage the clutch and apply the brake.
The kit comes with an analog speedometer that allows you to gauge your motorized bike’s speed and control it. That way, you will easily avoid tickets.
- The kit comes with a comprehensive guide.
- Reliability, especially after the upgrade. For instance, screws on the engine have been replaced with hardened ones.
- The power is high enough for hilly and uneven terrains.
- You might be forced to replace some parts, for example, the throttle cable to maximize efficiency.
4. 66/80cc Flying Horse EPA Approved Silver Angle Fire 2-Stroke Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit—The Most Environment-Friendly Motorized Bicycle Kit
No products found.If you are environment conscious, then this is the kit for you. The engine is certified by the United States Environment Protection Agency (E.P.A). It is a complete kit perfect for a beach cruiser, mountain bike or road bike.
The engine has a high-performance 66/80cc carburetor, which gives an extra boost of power. The engine is powerful enough that you can comfortably ride at speeds of between 25 to 35 miles per hour. The fuel economy is at 150 miles per gallon. That means going green will not affect efficiency since the 150mpg is comparable to other high performing kits.
The reason this particular kit is EPA certified is that it complies with EPAs emission standards. It has a special muffler complete with a catalytic converter that helps clean exhaust coming from the engine. Also, it uses a particular kind of synthetic oil known as AMSOIL SABER that helps keep emissions to a minimum.
Similar to the other two-stroke engines, you need to mix the gas with oil. The Flying Horse Silver Angle Fire requires a 1:100 ratio of gas to AMSOIL SABER Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke oil. With this kind of ratio, the motor is not only cleaner, but emissions are also minimal.
Note that with this kind, you cannot use other oils or fuel ratios. If you do so, then you will damage your engine. Note that similar to the Seeutek discussed above, you have to use a clutch and pedal to start the engine.
- Quiet compared to other 2-stroke kits.
- Minimal emissions.
- High quality.
- Built for hilly terrains.
- Using any other kind of synthetic oil voids the warranty.
5. 80cc 26” 28” Bike Bicycle Motorized 2 Stroke Cycle Petrol Gas Engine Kit Set—Highly Rated Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit
No products found.This motorized bicycle kit from Roadstar not only fits most 26” and 28” wheeled bikes, but it also fits most 24” wheeled bikes. It comes equipped with a 2-stroke 80cc engine that has enough power to achieve a top speed of 38 miles per hour. 38mph is as fast as a scooter or motorcycle. The 5-6 Horse Power helps facilitate this kind of speed.
Consuming approximately 2.5 liters of fuel per 100Km, the motor is fuel-efficient. The consumption translates to 100 miles per gallon.
The tank has a capacity of 2 liters. As mentioned, it is a 2-stroke engine, and that means you have to mix the fuel and the gas. Mix fuel and the engine oil at a ratio of 16:1. Maintain this ratio for new sets then shift to a 20:1 ratio after covering 500Km/310.6 miles.
Similar to the Seeutek, this kit requires a 9-11” of clearance from the bottom bracket to the top bar.
Additionally, the frame tubes should be 25mm to 29mm in diameter. Such measurements are quite flexible and will comfortably accommodate most bikes such as mountain bikes, chopper, cruisers, and road bikes.
The motor uses a forced air displacement cooling system which prevents overheating. Note that similar to most 2-stroke kits, this engine is rather noisy.
- The motor facilitates fast speeds.
- The kit is easy to install.
- Strong and durable.
- High quality.
What Is A Bicycle Motor Kit and How Does It Work?
A bicycle motor kit allows anyone to turn a standard pedal bicycle into a motorized bike. Kits may come with a compatible bicycle (at additional cost), but most do not. There are both electric-type motorized bicycle kits, often referred to as eBikes, and gas motorbike kits.
No matter which type of engine you have added to your bike, it should be able to propel the bike on its own once you get going. Some motors are pull-start and work before you even step on the pedals, and others require a few cycles to get started.
Once the engine has started, you should be able to control the speed of your bike using the attached throttle. The transmission, exhaust, and other parts found in a motorized bicycle kit will allow this process to take place, while accessories like a speedometer will make sure you follow all laws and regulations.
Before Purchasing a Motorized Bicycle Kit
Determine The Right Type of Engine Kit for Your Bike
When selecting a bicycle engine kit, it is crucial that you choose the right type. To do this, there are two questions you need to ask yourself about your electric bike.
First, what is your bike’s wheel cycle? Some kits can only fit a 26” or 28” wheeled bicycle. Others can fit a 24” wheeled bicycle. Always check to see if your bike meets the wheel cycle requirement before purchase.
That way, you will not buy a kit that you cannot use or a kit that will force you to buy a new bike.
Second, what is your bike’s seat tube height? In a typical V-frame bike, most kits demand that the seat tube height be between 9 and 11 inches. That way, there is a proper clearance that will leave enough space to install the bike engine.
If your bike does not meet this requirement, then you are better off purchasing a kit that can be mounted elsewhere, e.g., the rear.
With these two questions answered, you will be able to purchase a kit that is right for your bike.
Motorized Bike Kits are Not “One-Size-Fits-All”
Remember to measure your bike to make sure that the bicycle motor kit you purchase will fit. Certain kits are meant for specific bicycle frames or mounts. Some are also meant as small upgrades to an existing motorized bicycle and may be missing parts that are universal, like a transmission.
Keep in mind that all bike engine kits are DIY. They require a little mechanical knowledge to get set up. Most of the kits recommended here have phone support, videos, and thorough instructions for you to lean on.
Types of Bicycle Engine Kits
The type of bicycle engine kit you want will depend on your budget, power needs, and the type of bike you have. Most motorized bike kits will fit any 26″ V-frame bike, but you still need to make sure the motor will fit in the frame before you commit.
At the most basic level, there are two types of motorized bike kits: 2-stroke and 4-stroke. Each of these types of bicycle motor kits has it’s own advantages and disadvantages.
- 2-Stroke Bike Motors – 2-stroke motors require mixed oil and fuel, are smaller, and have a large range of noise. Higher-end 2-strokes can be quieter, but not as quiet as a 4-stroke. 2-strokes are also lighter and can achieve the same speed as a 4-stroke in most cases.
- 4-Stroke Bike Motors – A 4-Stroke bicycle engine kit is much quieter than the alternative. However, these motors are larger and have different intake and exhaust systems. They have a separate oil reservoir, cleaner emissions, and may produce less vibration.
After this main division, motor kits for bicycles still have a few variables.
- Different Mounts – Do you need the motor to sit in the frame or be mounted on the back of your bike? Kits are usually centered around a single type of mount.
- Complete Kits vs. Upgrade Kits – Not all kits come with every part you will need. Look to make sure every part you need is included, from the motor to transmission and exhaust.
- Starting Mechanism – A pull-start motor will work before you even put your feet on the pedals. Many 4-stroke bike motors are pull-to-start. For some, this makes riding a bike easier on their legs. Some pull-starts are more difficult to work than others, requiring significant upper body strength.
Alternatively, motors can have a “natural” start and allow you to get things going by pedaling. Kick-starts are another option.
- Speedometer and Fuel Gauge – Not every kit will come with these gauges. While a speedometer is easy to add, a fuel gauge isn’t.
Top Motorized Bike Kit Brands
Numerous brands offer the same product. When it comes to manufacturers of bicycle engine kits, there are five top-rated brands.
- Flying Horse
- Solomon Cavalli
Depending on the kind of bicycle engine kit you are after, make a point of comparing prices from the top-rated brands. That way, you will find a high-quality product at a favorable price.
Ready To Buy The Best Motorized Bike Kit?
With a fuel-efficient engine, you can turn your pedal-based bicycle into a full-fledged motorcycle that ensures more speed, high performance, and less-tiring experience for you.
The above guide lists the top-rated motorized bicycle kits in the market today. While the products discussed above are great and popular choices, you might be able to find some other brands too.
Remember to prefer them only after considering the factors and features you are looking for in your desired motorized bike kit. You might also be interested in other guides and reviews related to bikes. Check out a few of them below.
Leave a Reply