What makes a log splitter ideal for your slicing needs? Well, this is a rather relative subject; what works for another person may not work for you.
If you are working on a limited budget or would like to be more eco-friendly, you should consider buying the best manual log splitter right away.
However, these tools are available in a myriad of types and designs. So, how can you tell which model is the right one?
Depending on your log splitting needs, your preferred manual log splitter should be of the right design. Additionally, you need to buy a unit that is powerful and versatile to suit various cutting needs (Source).
To add, a mobile manual splitter will come in handy if you prefer cutting wood in various locations. Below is a list of our recommendations to help you in choosing the best manual log splitter perfect for you.
Comparing The Best Manual Log Splitters
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Best Manual Log Splitters
- 2 1. Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe 10 Ton Log Splitter Manual – Best Overall
- 3 2. Wel-Bilt 10-Ton Horizontal Manual Hydraulic Log Splitter – The Best Manual Log Splitter Below $150
- 4 3. Woodeze 5MH-S-SPLITTER Super Firewood Splitter – The Best Lightweight Log Splitter
- 5 4. Quality Craft Foot-Operated Log Splitter- 1.5 Ton – The Best Affordable Manual Log Splitter
- 6 5. YTL International Forest King YTL23101 Manually Operated Log Splitter – Very High Capacity
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Manual Log Splitter
- 8 Ready To Buy The Best Manual Log Splitter?
|Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe 10 Ton Log Splitter Manual|
|Wel-Bilt 10-Ton Horizontal Manual Hydraulic Log Splitter|
|Woodeze 5MH-S-SPLITTER Super Firewood Splitter|
|Quality Craft Foot-Operated Log Splitter- 1.5 Ton|
|YTL International Forest King YTL23101 Manually Operated Log Splitter|
1. Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe 10 Ton Log Splitter Manual – Best OverallFirst on our list is a really capable machine, featuring a simple design, yet is powerful enough for heavy-duty splitting applications. This must be the kind of log splitting tool you are looking for, right? Weighing about 87 pounds, this logger can split logs up to 18 inches long. With regards to wood-width capacity, the unit can work on logs as wide as 8 inches. This machine is equipped with a compact, yet powerful and efficient hydraulic pump.
In addition, with this pump, you can easily achieve 10 tons of splitting pressure. This amount of force is enough to split relatively large logs. Additionally, the pump allows you to choose between to speed variations to suit your cutting needs. The unit features two wheels that make it easier for you to handle while splitting wood. You will love the built-in Log cradle on this machine. This cradle is meant to prevent the wood from falling off while you are splitting.
2. Wel-Bilt 10-Ton Horizontal Manual Hydraulic Log Splitter – The Best Manual Log Splitter Below $150A compact and durable design, powerful performance and versatility are some of the selling points of this unit that is second on our list. Although this logger is relatively small in size, it can deliver a driving force of up to 10 tons, just as the Sun Joe logger reviewed above. In addition to its compact design, the portability of this machine is further enhanced because of the 2 wheels attached to its body. Additionally, the hydraulic pump used in this unit features 2 steel handles and offers 2 variable speeds.
Unlike the earlier reviewed unit, the Wel-Bilt manual log splitter can work on wider logs as much as 13.5 inches. Also, this machine features a horizontal design. This means that the logs have to be loaded at the top, horizontally. This can be a little bit challenging when you are working on heavier logs. Owing to its compact design, this machine does not require much storage space. To prevent the wood from falling while you are splitting, this unit is equipped with a log cradle.
3. Woodeze 5MH-S-SPLITTER Super Firewood Splitter – The Best Lightweight Log SplitterWhat if you had a manual log splitter that relies more on gravity than on your energy? This means that you get to expense the minimal possible amount of energy whenever you are splitting firewood. Well, that is now possible with the Woodeze SMH-S-SPLITTER Super Firewood Splitter. As a matter of fact, this unit was specifically designed to offer ease of function and enhanced safety.
This being the case, you will find it relatively easy to split a tough log using this tool. This may be attributed to the 8-ton of driving force delivered by the splitter. One of the aspects you will love about this unit is its guide bar. This ensures that the overall weight remains on target at all times.
4. Quality Craft Foot-Operated Log Splitter- 1.5 Ton – The Best Affordable Manual Log SplitterAside from being an affordable option, the Quality Craft Foot-Operated Log Splitter- 1.5 Ton allows you to split longer logs than some of its competitors. In this regard, the unit can work on logs as long as 18 inches and up to 10 inches in diameter. You will also love the lightweight, yet durable construction of this model. Weighing about 23 pounds, you will find it relatively easy to move the splitter from one location to another.
Due to its lightweight nature, this model is perfect for camping and other outdoor applications. You can easily carry it to your camping site and have fun splitting logs for firewood. On the downside, as compared to the other manual log splitters reviewed in this guide, the Quality Craft Foot-Operated Log Splitter delivers a low ram force. In this regard, this splitter can only deliver 1.5 tons of driving pressure.
5. YTL International Forest King YTL23101 Manually Operated Log Splitter – Very High CapacityAre you looking for a manual log splitter that can split logs longer than 18 inches? If so, you should consider buying the YTL International Forest King YTL23101 Manually Operated Log Splitter right away. This unit delivers about 10 tons of pressure and is capable of splitting logs as wide as 13 inches and up to 23 inches long. With regards to capacity, this is actually the best manual wood splitter in this guide. When it comes to versatility, few units can beat this splitter.
The unit is fitted with an adjustable wedge. As such, you can easily customize your splitter, depending on the size of the logs you are splitting. To top it all, the unit features a compact and durable construction.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Manual Log Splitter
As compared to electric or gas powered log splitters, manual models are relatively affordable. However, you should not let their affordability fool you; some of the best manual log splitters today have relatively high splitting capacities.
As a matter of fact, some of the leading models today will give you a splitting capacity of up to 10 tons. As you may be aware, not all the available log splitters are built equal.
With that said, there are several things that you need to consider while shopping for the right one.
If you are shopping for the best manual log splitter, here are some of the considerations that you need to make:
1. Log Splitter Layout
The splitter layout is essentially the design and overall appearance of these units. While shopping for the most appropriate splitter, there are two main layouts that you need to consider:
- Horizontal Log Splitters
This is the most common type of manual log splitters today. The horizontal design of such units requires you to load the logs on the top. The log is then pushed into the machine for slicing using a wedge. Because of their elevated loading position, such splitters may not be ideal for slicing larger and heavier logs.
If this is your preferred splitter layout, you should consider buying one that features dual action. Such a unit will save you a considerable amount of time because it can split in both directions.
- Vertical/Upright Manual Log Splitters
If you are looking for the right equipment for splitting larger logs in the forest, you should consider buying the best vertical log splitters today. Rather than having to load the logs to the machine, as is the case with horizontal splitters, you just need to pivot the equipment. In such a position, it would be easier for you to roll the heavier logs into your splitter.
2. Intended Application
Depending on where and how you would like to use your splitter, the right type of manual log splitter may differ. For instance, you may be looking for the best unit for cutting logs in the forest.
In such a case, a tractor mounted model will come in handy. This being the case, the various tractor mounted log splitters are ideal for a large estate or agricultural settings.
Further, if you are a private user who does not process a large amount of wood, you may need to buy a towable log splitter. This makes you mobile and you can slice logs with your splitter in any location. Such models will also be ideal for individuals with relatively large tracts of land where wood needs to be split.
Workshop wood splitters, on the other hand, are ideal for individuals who do not intend to be splitting logs in different locations. With such a unit, you will need to transport the wood to your workshop for splitting.
3. Log Width and Weight Capacity
When it comes to the capacity of your preferred log splitter, there are two main aspects that you need to consider; the weight and width of wood the machine can take. These are usually indicated on the specifications of the machine by the manufacturer.
Again, you can also use the power rating of these units to determine their capabilities. For instance, a 4-ton manual splitter can only work on logs with a diameter of fewer than six inches.
Lastly, if you are looking for a splitter that can split logs as wide as two-foot, you should go for a power level of 20 to 30 tons. Depending on the type of wood you are splitting, log weight will vary. In this regard, you also need to ensure that your preferred models can safely slice the wood weight you will be loading.
To get a better value for your money, you should invest in a unit that is really versatile. To begin with, the unit should be able to work on almost any type of wood, including sturdy and wet wood. In this regard, you need to consider various factors such as the force, horsepower, and amps of your preferred model. Again, you also need to go for features that will make your unit more versatile.
One such feature is adjustable height. Since you will be working on logs of different sizes and weight, you need a model that can adjust to any log size and weight. Most of the leading brands today offer a 3-position height adjustment plate on their units.
Besides, there are other models that have only 2-position height adjustment plates. If you are buying a vertical model, you may need to go for the ones that come with clamps. This will make log handling simpler for you.
Ready To Buy The Best Manual Log Splitter?
Log splitting does not have to be a noisy and expensive undertaking; you only need the right splitting tool. Manual wood splitters are the most affordable log slicing tools today.
Additionally, they do not pollute the environment and are rather quiet in operation. The various wood splitters reviewed in this guide feature hydraulic pumps. As such, they dot require much effort to operate.
Whether you are looking for a durable model that is affordable, a powerful option that is really versatile or just a lightweight tool to split wood while you are out camping; this guide got you covered.
With the help of this guide, choosing the best manual log splitter does not have to be difficult.