A manual lawn edger is a tool that is used to make clean lines that separates grass from your lawn, driveway, garden bed or sidewalks.
It also reduces damage that grass can do to these locations. It provides you with a clean look that is streamlined to your yard’s border (Source).
Manual lawn edgers are easy to use. It also decorates your lawn based on your needs. It creates a whole new picture by making the edges of your landscape look beautiful.
The best way to achieve that is by using a high quality edging tool.
Having the right garden tool makes the difference in when, how or whether the job will be done. In this review, important factors such as edging time, purpose, comfort and so on will be discussed.
Most Common Issues People Have with Manual Lawn Edgers?
Table of Contents
- 1 Most Common Issues People Have with Manual Lawn Edgers?
- 2 Best Manual Lawn Edgers 2019
- 3 1. Radius Garden 25602 Manual Lawn Edger – Best Overall
- 4 2. Ames Companies 2917200 Manual Lawn Edger – Cheapest Option
- 5 3. Fiskars 38.5 Inch Long-handle Steel Edger – Durable Steel Blade
- 6 4. Yard Butler Manual Lawn Edger – Unique Long Handled Edger
- 7 5. Bully Tools 92251 Manual Lawn Edger – Best Round Edger
- 8 What is a Manual Lawn Edger?
- 9 Features of the Best Manual Lawn Edgers
- 10 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Manual Lawn Edger
- 11 Our Final Review
- Speed of the Task: Nobody said that making perfect edges in your yard was easy. If you want to have a nice landscape design for your home, you need to account for the difficulty of the process. Expect to spend at least an entire day out in the yard making your edges perfect.
- Blisters & Sores: When you work all day with your hands, it is common to get blisters and feel sore. If you want to avoid this, you should both use work gloves and get a manual lawn edger with comfortable handles.
- Round Edges: Manual lawn edgers are designed to create edges which are straight, rounded, and to create corners. Round edges are where people will commonly have the most difficulty. This is since manual lawn edgers are flat. To make round edges, you will need to spend some extra time carving them out much more carefully than a straight edge.
Best Manual Lawn Edgers 2019
|Radius Garden 25602 Manual Lawn Edger|
|Ames Companies 2917200 Manual Lawn Edger|
|Fiskars 38.5 Inch Long-handle Steel Edger|
|Yard Butler Manual Lawn Edge|
|Bully Tools 92251 Manual Lawn Edger|
1. Radius Garden 25602 Manual Lawn Edger – Best OverallTired of bending or braking your garden tool? This is the best lawn edger you should get. It does not bend or require any fuel and does not disturb your peace. It only requires a little elbow grease to remain efficient. The important feature it has is durability.
The equipment maintains a crisp edge by making your lawn, flower garden, walks and patios stand out. It is made of finest materials, which will last for a lifetime. It has a circular natural radius grip that makes handling easy.
The circular handle grip has four times greater gripping surface as compared to the D-type handle grips. As it conforms naturally to your hand’s shape, it enables you to secure a two-handed grip. It provides extra leverage, stamina and strength while using the ergonomic grip.
The curved design of the edge is sharp. Sorting out of edges; therefore, require less manpower. The material used in construction is lightweight, hence minimizes the weight of the entire tool.
2. Ames Companies 2917200 Manual Lawn Edger – Cheapest OptionThis tool is ideal when it comes to creating clean borders around walkways and beds. Its arched blade cuts curved or straight trenches to create unique shaped beds. The sharp blade removes sod with ease. It also makes it easy to cut through tough grass.
The Ames is 39.3 inches and weighs 4.5 pounds. The shape of the edger has a curved and flat head blade. It is good in detailed digging and edging. Construction includes hardened steel that requires least maintenance and is also resistant to rust, rot and corrosion.
If you have reasonably soft soil, this is the best equipment for you. It works well on delicate root structures. It is easy to use as you only have to place your foot on the handle and then use your arm strength to push it down so as to finish the cut.
3. Fiskars 38.5 Inch Long-handle Steel Edger – Durable Steel BladeThe Fiskars steel edger makes creating edges for lawns and gardens simple, pain free and quick. It is easy to use and maintain and is less expensive than the rolling wheels model. It is 38.5 inches in height and weighs just 2.2 pounds, which makes it easy to hold and work with it.
The tool easily creates sculpted edges for driveways, curbs, gardens and patios. It easily separates shrubs, flowers or ground cover from lawns. This is helpful in keeping the mulch in and grass out of beds.
The best thing about this equipment is that during winter time it can be used to break ice. It is a multi-functional garden tool that is ergonomically designed to prevent any pain that results from straining or bending. It features a wide foot plate which increases leverage.
For ease of use, simply place the tool where an edge should be created, step it with your foot and then remove. It has a steel welded construction and a carbon steel blade. It is rust and weather resistant for maximum longevity.
4. Yard Butler Manual Lawn Edger – Unique Long Handled EdgerThe yard butler is a manual steel tool with a rounded saw tooth blade. With it, you will definitely have a perfect finish in whatever you do. It creates enchanting manicured yards. Its unique center step and half-moon saw tooth blade design focuses your weight on the cutting blade thereby making deep clean edges.
Trimming lawn edges with this tool keeps your grass looking neat all the time. It prevents grass from spreading over driveways, sidewalks, patios and around trees. The edger is perfect for installing plastic edging around walking paths and flower beds.
It is made of heavy duty powder coated steel which lasts for a long time and withstands different temperature conditions and situations. It is 38 inches in height and weighs 4.5 pounds. Its handle is guarded with a rubber covering. The rubber makes it easy to grip the tool.
5. Bully Tools 92251 Manual Lawn Edger – Best Round EdgerThe Bully Tools 92251 is a round lawn edger with a T-style handle made of steel. It is shaped like a spade and has a round edged face. The 12 gauge tool penetrates the earth with ease with a foot step and the handle. It is made of high quality hardened steel which makes it extremely durable.
The 12 gauge steel blade does not require a lot of maintenance. It is also resistant to corrosion and rot. The handle is made of comfortable rubber wrap. This makes handling comfortable and convenient. It is about 39.2 inches in height and weighs about 3.75 pounds.
The equipment does not harm grassroots and carefully does the edging work. It is appropriate for all kinds of garden work. It will not give your back pain problems as you will find it comfortable to use.
What is a Manual Lawn Edger?
Manual lawn edgers have the look and design that is similar to a traditional shovel. The difference between manual lawn edgers and shovels, though, is why they are used.
Manual lawn edgers are designed to help you create edges in your yard to separate your lawn from other landscaping elements. If you want to make a home garden where you currently have a patch of grass, you will probably use a shovel to take out the grass and a manual edger to craft out the edges.
Features of the Best Manual Lawn Edgers
It is common for somebody to purchase one of the first manual lawn edgers that they see, without thinking much of the options and features which are available. Since manual lawn edgers are so affordable, it’s best to do things right on the first attempt and get one of the best manual lawn edgers.
To help you do this, here are the features which you should look for:
Large & Wide Blade
The speed at which you are able to do your job is one of the most important things for you to consider. Part of how you can efficiently cut out edges results from the size of the blade. If the blade on the manual lawn edger is at least 9 inches wide, you will spend less time making each cut.
Blade Design Suited for your Yard
If you are blessed to able to live on land which has minimal rocks, sticks, roots, and so on, you may not be as concerned with the blade design. If you anticipate the need to cut rough terrain, you might choose to purchase a manual lawn edger with a tooth blade design.
Durable Blade & Handle Materials
Purchasing a manual lawn edger should be considered an investment which will benefit you for several years. The blade of any of the best manual lawn edgers will be made with an ultra-durable material such as steel. For best results, get a model which has a handle with parts which are just as durable.
Comfortable Handle Design
The durability of the handle is one area to consider, whereas the design of the handle is another. Regardless of the type of material your handle has, do your best to get a model which has a comfortable handle. Ideally, the handle will have a soft and grippy material which you won’t mind holding onto for several hours.
Balance of Price with Quality Features
Any of the best manual lawn edgers don’t come with a price tag that will force you to empty out your pockets. For this reason, you should be a lot more careful while you look through your options.
The manual lawn edger you purchase should come with all or most of the quality features we mentioned above, as well as a reasonable price. If you spend more than $50 on a manual lawn edger you are probably spending too much.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Manual Lawn Edger
When you are preparing to acquire a manual edger, choices available that can make selecting overwhelming not forgetting the different price points. If interested in one but are uncertain of the exact type that will work, it is best you consider a number of questions.
As there are various choices available, picking the best does not have to be an overwhelming. The mentioned are some of the factors that will guide you in selecting an equipment that will suit your needs. They ensure that you do not waste money in buying a useless tool.
There are two types of manual edgers available. You should consider one that is ideal for your needs. The basic form is the handheld edge that features a bladed end. It is often curved and is used to effortlessly cut through garden beds, driveways or sidewalks. This style is easy to use.
The other type is the rotary lawn edgers that feature a wheel that is attached to a tooth blade. The blade is replaceable when it breaks. As you push this edger, its toothed blade slices through your lawn’s edge.
When buying, you need to search for one that feels solid. It should not feel wobbly or flimsy to your hands. A strong one is easy to maneuver on hard surfaces. Before it is packed or when it is delivered, ensure you check this aspect for durability.
You should also check the material used in constructing the main parts especially the blade. Top qualities are made of hardened steel that is resistant to rust, corrosion and rot. Keep in mind that the blade is the part that will come into contact with the weeds.
Also, ensure that the blades are replaceable for you to simply buy a new one and replace with the worn out old blade. There are cheaper models with non-replaceable blades as well. If you are looking for something to last for long, go for one with a replaceable blade.
A good equipment is one that can be used comfortably by any kind of user. It should not make you strain or result to you having a back ache after work. Look for an edger with an adjustable height so as to suit your height. The height of the edger is mentioned to enable you buy the perfect one.
Note that not all edgers will come with height adjustment feature so you should be careful.
As you are looking for the best, an important consideration is the edging time. This is the time your edger will take to complete your yard. There are a number of factors that contribute to this which includes the model and the size of your yard.
A larger lawn requires more time hence you ought to select an advanced model too make work faster and easier. A small garden or backyard will require the simple manual types. Make sure you get one that is capable of delivering full value to your garden. The value is determined by efficiency and time taken to complete edging.
Good quality does not come cheap. The amount you have will determine what you get. It is important that you establish your budget to rightfully determine the type you will buy. Lawn edgers vary from cheap to the most expensive ones. The difference between the two is that a costly one is more efficient and will last for a longer while.
Keeping lawn edges cleanly manicured can be realized with the best quality tool. If edging is not important to you, it should definitely be reflected in your purchase budget.
Our Final Review
The best manual lawn edger requires very little maintenance. With a manual edger, you do not have to worry about gas or power or machine maintenance. You only have to occasionally sharpen the blade, oil it and wipe excess dirt. This tool will definitely last for generations if stored and used well.
A beautiful landscape design requires a lot of effort by use of a manual lawn edger. It is very easy in implementing a landscape design, but it can be difficult when it comes to maintenance. The lawn edger you select and use will help you in creating a well-defined edge, making your lawn look beautiful.
With the above guidelines and top examples, maintaining your lawn or garden will be easier as it is a never ending task. Creeping grasses desperately require you to use a lawn edger to avoid spreading. If you have a thick carpet of a lawn, worry no more as you already have the solution to it in your hands.