If you have been visiting Instagram for a while, you might have come across the popular trend: Macramé wall hangings. Macramé has been one of the oldest forms of textile that has regained popularity. They have especially become a part of home décor due to their subtle and natural looks.
Using various brightly-colored wall hangings made out of these custom knots has been loved by the young and old generation. Not to mention, many individuals have found new ways of using these hangings. For instance, you can get macramé planters, jewelry, wall décor, and more.
Thus, this form of textile is loved by many because of the flexibility it offers in designing. While you can make one at home, plenty of pre-designed choices are also available for you to choose from.
This post will give you the best macramé wall hangings that you can buy nowadays based on their looks, budget, variety, popularity, and quality. Additionally, we will also discuss Macramé’s history, evolution, buying guide, and other related questions.
Comparing The Top 5 Picks
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Top 5 Picks
- 2 DIY Macramé Wall Hanging Tutorial
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 Brief History Of Macramé Wall Hangings
- 5 Various Colors And Styles
- 6 Related Questions
- 7 Ready To Buy Macramé Wall Hangings
- Made of 4mm cotton cord. Sturdy, durable and premium quality
- ❤PREMIUM QUALITY boho macrame wall hanging: 100% top notch cotton and 100% yarn threads used to provide a premium quality wall, strong and durable,...
- A beautiful combination of Elegance and Bohemian Style in a Tapestry. This is a handcrafted Macrame Wall Hanging with beautiful delicate detail and a...
- CHIC DECOR: This small macrame wall hanging can decor your wall and make your home cozier, you can hang it above the sofa, fireplace, desk, or on the...
- Handmade Macrame Wall Hanging - Made of 100% pure cotton cord and wooden dowel. Sturdy and durable. No artificial ingredients or chemicals.
DIY Macramé Wall Hanging Tutorial
If you would like to try to make a macramé wall hanging by yourself, you can check out a tutorial that shows you how to make one. To help you, here is a DIY tutorial that can show exactly how to do it.
Whether you are opting for buying macramé cords or readymade wall hangings, you will need to choose certain factors. Check out the following factors to help you select the right macramé cords for wall hangings.
- Composition – It is vital to choose the right Macramé wall hanging cord material to suit your preference. A popular choice among macramé artists is jute and hemp. You can also find other materials ranging from rayon to nylon-based on popularity.
Note that wall hangings made of artificial fibers are easier to find. If you plan to get a macramé cord instead of a readymade hanging, we suggest going for nylon, as it is easier to knot and unravel because of its smoothness.
- Strength – A macramé cord used for making a wall hanging needs to be robust so that it boasts longevity. Any cord that you choose for the wall hanging will be strong based on its composition. For instance, if you choose materials like nylon, ribbon, leather, or jute, you can expect a durable wall hanging (Source).
- Twist – You can buy Macramé wall hangings with durable cords based on the braids and twists on individual strands. These are added to the cords at the time of manufacturing. A twisted macramé cord will be harder to unravel compared to a braided one.
Before buying a macramé wall hanging, make sure that the cord ends contain strands that do not separate that easily. Or you can choose wall hangings whose cord ends are sealed using wax or threads.
- Stiffness – Macramé cords used for creating wall hangings should be able to curve and bend to form various patterns flexibly. You can also choose versatile cords for making other designs, like necklaces or bracelets, besides just wall hangings.
For such creativity, you will need thin macramé cords. We recommend choosing cotton-based cords for this as they are flexible and soft. You might also use leather cords, but such cords should not be more than 2mm thick.
- Texture – You also need to choose Macramé hangings based on the texture of the cords. If the cords are rough-textured, you might feel irritated in making hangings out of them. For beginners, we advise choosing cotton, satin rayon, silk, or nylon cords that are smooth-textured, thus easier to knot.
You might also like to try leather cords that soften after knotting. Do not use hemp or metallic cords if you are not used to them, as they have a stubborn texture for knotting intricate wall hangings.
- Width – When you buy macramé cords for your wall hanging project, make sure to choose the right width. If the cords are too thick, you might find it harder to insert them through buttons, beads, or similar decoration items.
To insert them and create beautiful hangings, you will need decorations with broader gaps. We recommend going for macramé cords with a diameter around 2mm, which is ideal for most beads and buttons (Source).
- Quantity – Macramé DIY projects require lots of cords with varying lengths. Make sure you have the right estimate of lengths and the number of cords for creating hangings. Plus, use cords that are easily available in your local area, because if you run out of a particular type of cord, your project might go counterproductive.
If you do not want to create your wall hangings, then you can always check out readymade designs from our best macramé wall hangings list given above.
Brief History Of Macramé Wall Hangings
Hand-knotted Macramé accessories, plant hangers, and tapestries had been one of the most popular home décor items in the ’70s. After several years of decrease in popularity, these have come back to lure the modern generation with its immense beauty once again.
But, Macramé has even been present in craftwork centuries ago all over the world. Historians rooted its ancient past back to the Arabic weavers in the 13th century. Craftsmen were known to create alluring knots to seal up the loose strands present in hand-woven fabrics and textiles.
We also have found hand-weaving and knot-tying craftsmanship in China in the third century, where they used knotting methods to decorate wall hangings for ceremonies (Source).
It can be hard to find the exact time for the origin of the first macramé, but it gained popularity from the 13th-century Arabians who spread this calm and subtle art of knotting throughout the West. It has also be noted to be highly popular among Sailors, who used to pass their time on ships and boats knotting and creating decorative hangings.
Sailors often sold these knotted goods, such as hats, belts, and hammocks, at various ports before setting sail again. The modern Macramé cords might have diversified with so many variations, colors, and textures. But, the basic principle of knot-tying has remained the same since its origin.
Various Colors And Styles
There are limitless macramé wall hangings colors and styles nowadays for you to decorate in your rooms. Most of these designs are based on individual creativity, which is why you will always find new designs popping up on various online platforms.
We will introduce a few of those popular macramé variations that you can choose for the decoration. Let’s go through each one now.
- Material: Natural Cotton,Handmade, natural, 100% cotton. There is a special smell of cotton rope, which is the SMELL OF COTTON FAT. Some people may...
- This macrame wall hanging can decor your wall and make your home cozier, you can hang it above the sofa, fireplace, desk, or on the top of the bed.
- Size is approximately: 36" Width X 33" Height (Width: the size of wood dowel, Height: from top to the ends of longest fringe).
Tapestries are great to add warmth and texture to naked walls in your room. And, macramé wall hangings are perfect for that look. This elegant-looking yet straightforward designs can be purchased or created in an array of designs as per your liking. Not to mention, you can choose tapestries made with macramé knots in different fabrics. We recommend checking out the macramé tapestry Etsy collection, which has a plethora of beautiful designs in various shapes, sizes, and colors for your taste.
- Macrame wall hanging that adds a unique, boho-inspired touch to any space. Hang it on your wall as a decorative piece or in front of a window or door.
- DISTINCTIVE CRAFT: This Large Curtain Panel is a perfect way to work vintage pieces into a modern home decor, just adding this Tapestry brings an...
- ✔ This macrame wall hanging can be used as a macrame curtain, will fit perfectly any window or doorway. An unique piece adding texture and interest...
Try macramé curtains that add a subtle barrier between rooms or spaces. Additionally, they look beautiful while hanging. Unlike normal curtains, they might not obstruct space in the room completely, but they can act to decorate an empty area without overdoing it. Macramé curtains do not even have to be full-blown amenities. You can get them in various shapes as per your preference to embellish your house.
- Product dimension: The upper ring is 10" diameter ,Overall 20" height
- ✔This beautiful macrame lamp shade made with natural cotton rope and by unique design. This unique and elegant design will bring a bohemian...
- Natural Cotton Cord: This beautiful handmade woven lace lamp shade is made from natural cotton cord.This unique and elegant design will bring a...
Macramé chandeliers can be great for decorating living rooms. Unlike glass chandeliers, you will not have to worry about breaking these beautiful pieces. Plus, you can get them at a lower price to add a classy look in your homes. Macramé chandeliers can also be customized around the light bulbs to create beautiful interiors. We recommend going with white macramé chandelier hangings, as they look great when covering warm lighting in rooms.
Macramé Lamp Shade
- ✔This beautiful macrame lamp shade made with natural cotton rope and by unique design. This unique and elegant design will bring a bohemian...
- ✔This beautiful macrame lamp shade made with natural cotton rope and metal frame by unique design. It Can only be used on table lamps or floor...
- Size: the lampshade measures 25 cm in diameter, 40 cm in height, and the hole diameter is approx. 30 mm, suitable for universal pendant fittings
You will love macramé lampshades that you can install in your house to decorate your room interiors. Macramé drapes are covered around lampstands to make them more appealing. These macramé hangings are usually made of cotton and linen, as these are made of natural fibers that you can cover over the lamps. You can also iron them if you like to remove wrinkles over them.
Macramé Hanging Chair
- Stylish Looking: Handmade bohemian style hammock swing with macrame net chair pattern and tassels, adding a unique touch to your home, porch or...
- Macrame Swing Hammock Chair.This stylish hammock chair is comfortable and durable. It can withstand a maximum weight of 320 pounds, and it is big...
- ♛ Dreamy and Chic Hanging Chair - Sitting in a comfortable swing chair is most girls' childhood dream, now you can get it easily. A chic hammock...
Hanging chairs look appealing, subtle, and do not even take much space in your house. Covering such chairs with macramé knots adds an extra layer of embellishment that your guests will adore. Just imagine a macramé hanging chair in your house ready to give you a stress-free and relaxing treat. You can choose from several designs, materials, and sizes online for giving your home a makeover.
- Y-STOP Macrame Swing Hammock Chair: This stylish hammock chair is comfortable and durable, it can withstand a maximum weight of 320 pounds, and it is...
- 🏡Most Relaxing.Hanging chairs are the trend of the moment!If you look around, you'll see them springing up more and more often.Which makes perfect...
- Each macrame mayan hammock is made by a member of the Employment Social Project, an organization providing well-paid employment to blind, deaf, and...
Just like hanging chairs, macramé hammocks have also been widely popular. These have been used by sailors, who usually weave hammocks using various macramé knots. Hammocks are also great for people who have sleeping disorders. Additionally, hammocks are also great for reducing backaches. Hammocks made out of macramé are worth considering if you want to have a frequently relaxing nap in your house.
- Unique macrame pillowcases is a stunning designer object that will add a boho vibe to your home. It can adds texture and interest to any casual home...
- 100% Cotton; 18 x 18 Inch / 45 x 45cm (1-1.5 cm deviation) Set of 2 decorative cushion covers. They fit perfectly on 18"x18" pillow inserts/fillers....
- This macrame throw pillow cover has various usage as pillow indoor and outdoor, bolster for any body part, sleeping, watching TV, in-bed readingand....
If you are fond of pillows, cushions, and other similar amenities, you will need to decorate them with covers. Macramé covers can be a great option to protect and beautify cushions and pillows in your home. These are a great way to decorate your living rooms besides wall hangings. We recommend using macramé cushion covers with furry strands at the end, as these types of covers can make plain-looking cushions look more attractive.
- 100% treated Polyester
- MATERIAL: 100% treated polyester, the tablecloth is made of heavy duty material with beautiful lace border
- MATERIAL: 100% polyester
Macramé textiles can also be used to create borders for photo frames, mirrors, and other décor items in your house. Such boundaries will also give you beautiful design choices with vibrant or subtle colors as you like. Plus, such edges offer flexibility, as you can remove them at will. We recommend using borders are washable so that they always look new and fresh whenever you use them over photo frames or mirrors.
- 【SIMPLE AND STYLISH】: Add more beauty to your plants with this elegant, vintage-inspired macrame plant hanger. Simple yet stylish, save much space...
- STYLISH AND UNIQUE - The modern, vintage-inspired plant hanger adds the perfect touch to your room and living room. This beauty would be gracing your...
- Perfect Hanging Planters for Indoor Plants -- package includes 3pcs macrame plant hangers in different size 34" / 23" / 21", 3pcs plastic plant pots...
Planters are a great way to create beautiful gardens and landscapes. You can have better landscaping when you add macramé hangings to the surroundings with planters in them. It is a creative, beautiful, and cheap way of using macramé to make the area more gorgeous. You can even create customized macramé planter hangings to set your design.
Is Macramé Still Popular?
Macramé’s popularity had decreased after the ’70s, but it is good to know that this art of handmade textile products is back with more creative and attractive amenities. People love the new and intriguing collection of tapestries, covers, swing chairs, and other decorative items. Macramé is sure to stay for a couple of years as long as people love this art.
How Do You Hang Macramé Wall Hangings?
A common way of hanging macramé wall hangings is by using a Lark’s head knot. This knot is a simple and classic way of creating a supportive knot with a piece of macramé cord. The knot is done over a Dowel rod. You can then hang your macramé piece through the rod, while the head knot carries all the weight of the handmade artwork on a wall, etc.
Ready To Buy Macramé Wall Hangings
Macramé art has been for centuries, but the present time is when it has been most explored. With flexible, durable, and better fabrics, you can enjoy this beautiful art by creating your unique designs. If you do not feel like doing a DIY macramé project, you can always select readymade wall hangings from online stores.
The best macramé wall hangings would be the ones that are durable, elegant, flexible, and appealing. Not to mention, you can decide to choose one based on your budget, as you can buy these in various sizes, materials, and colors. Check out the designs that we have shared on our list with you and get yourself a nice Macramé wall hanging to decorate your house.