Picture this; you are driving along, having a fantastic time, when all of a sudden, you get a flat tire. As a competent human being, you know how to change a tire to get on your way. Most often, there is a spare tire and a toolbox in the trunk.
So you get to work changing your spare tire, but you get to the last lug nut, and it is stripped. The stubborn lug nut will not budge. What do you do?
If only you had some kind of tool to release stripped, damaged, or frozen lug nuts. In the event that you did have a lug nut extractor in your car, you could easily get on your way much quicker and avoid a run-in with a towing company.
We should all save ourselves the shame and make sure that the best lug nut extractor on the market is on our person when we need it.
In this article, we will first understand what a lug nut extractor tool is, along with examining the best lug nut extractors available on the market today.
Later, we will discuss how to use these tools and what to do if you end up with a stubborn lug nut that does not give.
What Is A Lug Nut Extractor?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Lug Nut Extractor?
- 2 Top 5 Amazon Products
- 3 1. REXBETI Impact Bolt & Nut Remover Set, 13 Pieces Bolt Extractor Tool Set with Solid Storage Case
- 4 2. Topec Impact Bolt & Nut Remover Set 13+1 Pieces, Nut Extractor Socket, Bolt Remover Tool Set with Hex Adapter
- 5 3. Eapele Impact Bolt Nut Removal Extractor Socket Tool Set with Center Punch Bar (6pcs)
- 6 4. ROCKETSOCKET | Made in USA | Extraction Socket Set | Remove Damaged, Frozen, Rusted, Rounded-Off Bolts, Nuts & Screws | 13 Pieces, Impact Grade | 100% American Steel
- 7 5. Bolt Extractor Nut Removal Tool – YEAHOME Black Oxide Impact Bolt & Lug Nut Remover Set 13 Pieces Extractor Socket Set Automotive Tools Fathers Day Gifts For Dad
- 8 Removing A Damaged Lug Nut
- 9 3 Considerations When Purchasing A Lug Nut Extractor
- 10 Conclusion
A lug nut is a fastener commonly used to attach a wheel to its axel. Lug nuts come intact on most vehicles, like cars and trailers.
A lug nut extractor is essentially a socket wrench, but tapered threads on the inside help grip a stripped or damaged lug nut. The threads’ unique tapering tightens the grip on the lug nut as you turn, making it possible to remove a stubborn nut.
It is essentially impossible to extractor a lug nut without a specialized extractor, hence, the lug nut extractor. Saving yourself time, money and hassle, you are able to purchase one to make your life easier and hassle-free in the event that you do experience a stripped lug nut.
The damage to a lug nut usually happens when the nut is over-tightened. This malpractice occurs when an overlarge socket wrench causes slippage and ultimately stripping the nut.
Improper torquing of the lug nut results in this issue and it is always recommended to follow the necessary torque specifications for your specific lug nut.
Top 5 Amazon Products
1. REXBETI Impact Bolt & Nut Remover Set, 13 Pieces Bolt Extractor Tool Set with Solid Storage Case
- Made of high hardness chrome-molybdenum steel for durability.
- All the bolt extractors are precision engineered to easily extract damaged bolts, nuts, and screws even if they were to get stripped, rusted, or frozen.
- Tight grips that will not let go – the internal thread design provides excellent torque, the more you turn, the tighter the socket grips.
- 13 pieces 3/8 inch drive bolt & nut remover comes with 3/4″(19mm), 11/16″, (17mm), 5/8″(16mm), 9/16″(14mm), (13mm), 1/2″, (12mm), 7/16″(11mm), (10mm), 3/8″, 5/16″(8mm), 1/4″.
- Heavy-duty blow-molded case keeps everything locked in place and organized.
2. Topec Impact Bolt & Nut Remover Set 13+1 Pieces, Nut Extractor Socket, Bolt Remover Tool Set with Hex Adapter
- High power and impact resistance. Bolt nut remover processed from high hardness chrome-molybdenum steel.
- Reverse spiral flutes designed to bite down to provide maximum gripping power.
- Tight grip and bit – the unique internal thread design provides excellent torque and can be used to rotate fasteners with deep nails. The inner non-smooth concave wall helps to grasp the stubborn nut, and the more the rotation, the tighter the grip, and the easier it will not break or slip.
- Surface Painting Process -these broken bolt extractors have a black oxide surface that provides greater strength and durability while preventing corrosion.
- Multi-functional – the twist socket set is suitable for removing rust and wear, as well as covering the paint coating of nuts, and bolts. Sizes include: 1/4″, 5/16″(8mm), 3/8″, (10mm), 7/16″(11mm), (12mm), 1/2″, (13mm), 9/16″(14mm), 5/8″(16mm), (17mm), 11/16″, 3/4″(19mm), include the 3/8 “to 1/4” hex adapter.
- Premium Service – If you have any problems while using this product, contact the professional after-service team via email. Topec Direct after-sale team will get in touch with you and timely solve your problems.
3. Eapele Impact Bolt Nut Removal Extractor Socket Tool Set with Center Punch Bar (6pcs)
- Eapele lug remove set with Easy-Out technology and a left-hand spiral design for superior gripping power to remove broken bolts, screws, and studs. The five pieces in this bolt extractor set will remove a stripped bolt of numerous sizes (17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22 mm, 26 mm) with minimal effort using a 1/2 inch drive.
- High-strength 40Cr. Each socket is made of heat-treated 40Cr vanadium steel and coated in Manganese Phosphate for industrial or mechanical use and meets or exceeds ANSI/ASME standards.
- Handy to use– remove the bolt, simply attach the extractor to a ratchet and place it over. You are also able to tap it in with a hammer or a wrench. Then, simply turn the wrench to unscrew your bolt.
- Center Punch Bar. A hex top on the extractor makes it easy to use a wrench instead of a ratchet. Once removed, use the center punch to knock the bolt out of the extractor.
- Portable Case. Each spline extractor has the size etched on for quick reference. A heavy-duty carrying case helps ensure a longer life for your extractors.
4. ROCKETSOCKET | Made in USA | Extraction Socket Set | Remove Damaged, Frozen, Rusted, Rounded-Off Bolts, Nuts & Screws | 13 Pieces, Impact Grade | 100% American Steel
- All RocketSocket impact grade extractor socket sets designed and manufactured in the USA to meet or exceed all professional tool standards.
- RocketSockets are precisely engineered to extract damaged bolts, nuts, and screws easily.
- RazorGrip removal technology. That means no more slippage.
- 13 piece set uses a 3/8″ drive and covers 20 of the most used standard and metric sizes. These sizes include: SAE: 1/4″, 5/16″, 3/8″, 7/16″, 1/2″, 9/16″, 5/8″, 11/16″, 3/4″ Metric: 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm.
- Not all lifetime warranties are the same despite the claims. RocketSocket uses only the highest quality materials and precision tooling to offer a genuine limited lifetime warranty on every socket set.
5. Bolt Extractor Nut Removal Tool – YEAHOME Black Oxide Impact Bolt & Lug Nut Remover Set 13 Pieces Extractor Socket Set Automotive Tools Fathers Day Gifts For Dad
No products found.
- Designed to extract rounded-off, rusted, over-tightened easily, and painted-on fasteners, damaged bolts, nuts, and screws. Designed for use with impact drivers and drill drivers and ideal for heavy-duty impact applications.
- Made of high strength chrome-molybdenum steel with a black oxide surface. This surface provides greater strength and durability, resists corrosion, and last a lifetime.
- No slipping. Reverse spiral flutes design inside the extractor to provide maximum gripping power for easy removal. Reverse spiral flutes grip harder as resistance increases for maximum grip power. And universal lobular design makes the set fits all types of fasteners.
- The set comes with a carrying case and 13 extractors to remove bolts sizes: 1/4″, 5/16″(8mm), 3/8″, (10mm), 7/16″(11mm), (12mm), 1/2″, (13mm), 9/16″(14mm), 5/8″(16mm), (17mm), 11/16″, 3/4″(19mm) in drive size 3/8″.
- If you have any questions, please contact, there is always someone available to help you around the clock. 180 Days Money Back and Replacement Guarantee warranty.
Removing A Damaged Lug Nut
- Apply WD40 or other penetrating oil to loosen the metal friction. This step is vital before pursuing to break free a stubborn lug nut. More significantly, it is critical to let the area rest for up to 10 minutes before trying to remove the lug nut.
Penetrating oils, such as WD40 need time to absorb and soak into the problem area since it is a water-displacement agent.
- Choose the correct lug nut extractor size. Make sure to get as tight of a fit as possible. This practice may mean tapping the lug nut extractor socket onto the lug nut with a hammer.
- Removing the lug nut. Once you have the correct sized lug nut extractor socket over your stubborn lug nut, attached the breaker bar and twist. If you are unable to get the lug nut to budge, consider adding a hollow pipe over your breaker bar to add length, which would translate into greater torque.
3 Considerations When Purchasing A Lug Nut Extractor
Not all lug nut extractors are the same. The three key factors to keep in mind when purchasing a lug nut extractor set are as follows:
- Internal Thread Design – The design of the internal thread should provide torque as you turn, increasing grip.
- Size – If you have a stubborn lug nut and you are not having any luck with your socket set, there is a good chance that you are using the wrong measuring system. Try both imperial and metric sizes to get the best fit.
It is also vital to know with the sizes of lug nut extractors that come in the kit that you buy. Make sure that you get the size you think you need and at least one above and one below, just in case you are mistaken.
- Case – A sturdy case will keep your tools organized and separated. A flimsy one will fall apart in your tool bag and make it annoying to find the exact sized socket that you need. Make sure that the case makes it easy for you to sort sizes and grab what you need on the ready.
To avoid the embarrassment of being stranded on the side of the road, add a lug nut extractor to your car’s tool kit. After examining the purpose of a lug nut extractor tool and viewing the top 5 lug nut extractor tools on the market today, it is evident that stripped lug nuts are a common issue.
Lug nuts get stripped or damaged all of the time, but with a suitable lug nut extractor toolkit and a little know-how, you will be on your way again. If you are facing a particularly stubborn lug nut, always use your mechanical advantage.
By adding length to your breaker bar, you can increase torque. Everyone should have a lug nut extractor in their car as it never hurts to be prepared.