Fishing is fun, especially when you get something on the hook. But if you sit there for hours and get no fish, you start to get a little bored. If you are fond of fishing and actually want to get fish on the hook, you must pick up a fish finder.
This unit is one of the best fish finders. The Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 comes with all the features you need at an affordable price point. It is a fish-finder GPS combo designed for serious fishers.
If you are looking for a high-performance fish-finder for use in salt or freshwater, the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen3 is the best you can get.
This device is limited to sport fishing. It does not include the sorts of options a commercial fisher might want. However, it offers much more information in a much tighter package than other pricier – or less costly units.
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 Specs
Table of Contents
- 1 Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 Specs
- 2 Comparable Fish Finders
- 3 Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 Features
- 4 What Makes Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 So Awesome
- 5 How to Read the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3
- 6 User Feedback and Reviews
- 7 How Much Does the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 Cost?
- 8 Why Buy the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3?
- Power Input: 10-17 VDC
- Power Output: 500 Watts (RMS)
- Screen: 7″ in diagonal, 16:9, 800H x 480V pixel matrix, full color, with LED backlight and multi-touch technology
- Routes, Waypoints: 200, 5,000
- GPS: 10Hz Internal GPS Antenna
- Sonar: CHIRP and Structure Scan HD
- Maps: Insight USA
- Depth Capability: 750 ft (229 m) for Broadband Sounder, 300 (92 m) ft. for Structure Scan
- Frequency and Coverage: 200 kHz (20°) / 83 kHz (60°) for standard 2d Sonar and 455 / 800 kHz for Structure Scan, 600 ft (183 m) coverage from side to side
Comparable Fish Finders
There are many contenders of this fish finder that you may find in the market. Let’s look at the comparison table below.
In this guide, we will focus only on the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 model.
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 Features
- 7 in. Screen: The Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 3 features a medium size screen. It is 7-inch diagonally. The unit also includes a keypad and multi-touch, giving you quick access to all the functions.
- LED Backlight: The device also features an LED backlight. It provides you with superior visibility in direct sunlight, and also, in case of dim lighting.
- Two micro-SD Card Slots: The Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 3 offers two micro-SD card slots. It is a great feature to have in case you want to use cards for different purposes. For instance, you may use one card for waypoints and still have the other one for maps or Sonar recording. 2 micro-SD card slots save you from continuously swapping cards.
- NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 Ports: This unit also consists of NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 ports, and ethernet connection possibilities.
- Surveillance Device: This device gives you the possibility to turn it into a surveillance machine. You can use it as an underwater camera to get a better view of what is under the boat.
- GoFree Wireless Connection: Another excellent feature supplied by the Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 3 is the GoFree wireless connection. You can use a wireless device, such as your smartphone, to control your HDS-7 Gen 3 display.
- TrackBack: The Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 3 offers TrackBack function. It gives the unit a fair amount of versatility as it is a Sonar recording machine. With it comes the possibility to scroll back through the Sonar log to review a specific spot. It also allows you to mark waypoints on the recorded Sonar.
- GPS and Maps: The Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 comes with the preloaded Insight USA charts for coastal and inland waters.
- Structure Map: This function works directly with the Sonar to instantly customize your live Sonar. When they both map over each other, you enjoy better situational awareness.
What Makes Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 So Awesome
The Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 proves to be one of the best models by Lowrance. Let’s take note of some more attractive features it offers.
- Power: The power of the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 is relatively standard. It starts at a regular operating power of 500W and 4,000W peak-to-peak.
- WIFI: This unit offers built-in wireless connectivity that is super convenient. Users who want to connect their personal technology devices can control the unit easily.
- Easy-to-Use: The Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 3 is an easy-to-use device. It has many special features to choose from and is designed to be perceptive. Moreover, the home screen is pretty easy to navigate.
How to Read the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3
The Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 3 has many uses. Mainly, it helps you assess what is under the boat to avoid damaging it. Keep the following steps in mind while reading the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3.
- Fish Size on Sonar: For the identification of fish size on Sonar, the size can be altered with a sensitivity or depth range adjustments. You must know that fish generally look bigger at a depth range of 20 feet than on a depth range of 100 feet. The color of the fish arch and its thickness determine the fish size.
- Observing Down Scan: It is vital to understand the down imaging of the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3. It integrates a wider cone, which helps it to reveal targets.
- If you are using the fish finder for the first time, please watch this video below before you do so.
User Feedback and Reviews
Before you go to buy this fish finder, you will surely want to know what people are saying about it:
Most Common Complaints
- Only Works in the US: People who attempted to use the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 outside of the US have been met with an error. The message reads something along the lines of “Unit is not for valid use in this area.” If you are a regular in the international waters, you should reconsider.
- Lots of Features: Some people found it a little challenging to handle with so many features in the beginning.
Most Common Praises
- Advanced Sonar: People are mostly appreciative of the Sonar capabilities of this device.
- Bright Display: Due to the LED backlight and display capabilities, the unit shows a gorgeous, clearly lit screen.
How Much Does the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 Cost?
The Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 is top-of-the-line in terms of practicality and technology. It has received excellent reviews over and over again. That makes this fish finder a pretty good investment.
It comes along with wonderful features that you are sure to love. You can get this fantastic fish finder for under $2,100.
Why Buy the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3?
The Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 is a top-tier and affordable fish finder. It not only gives you all the features you need to find great fishing spots. This unit also has wireless connectivity.
Additionally, it includes both touchscreen and button functionality, a wide range of imaging options, and the GoFree feature. It allows you to download and share maps with nearby users.
Whether you are a pro or beginner, this unit will serve your fishing needs pretty well. You will discover that the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 is an excellent offering in this category. It gets the job done while also presenting you with plenty of functions and tools to have fun with.