We may live in an increasingly paperless world, but at the office or during a job hunt, you’ll always need to have physical copies of important documents. The best leather padfolios can help you stay organized, protect your documents and items on the go, and help you look professional.
Leather padfolios are something of a hybrid between a wallet and a binder. They can be made of genuine leather, or faux leather (known recently as “vegan” leather) and come in a variety of colours that you can coordinate with your outfits (Source). If matching isn’t your thing, a black leather padfolio is always a safe bet.
Leather padfolios each have their own distinct closures and storage options, for example a slot made specifically for business cards, and a slip for your pens. Some may even have things like a calculator.
For those who travel for work often, or even just attend a lot of out-of-office meetings, a leather padfolio can keep your belongings clean and organized. Leather padfolios are also great for handling resumés, cover letters and business cards when attending job interviews, and make you look professional and prepared (Source).
Prior to purchasing a leather padfolio, you’ll have to consider if you want real leather or a more environmentally friendly option. You’ll also have to consider their colours, sizes, and storage options. Some are also capable of safely carrying tablets.
If you have a big meeting or job interview coming up, you might want to invest in one of these top-rated leather padfolios.
What is a Padfolio?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Padfolio?
- 2 How Does a Padfolio Compare to a Binder?
- 3 Comparing The Best Leather Padfolios
- 4 1. Samsill Professional Padfolio – Best Overall
- 5 2. Wundermax Professionals – Lots of Storage
- 6 3. Lautus Designs Zippered Leather Business Padfolio – Most Professional Look
- 7 4. IVESIGN PU Leather Business Padfolio – Most Versatile
- 8 5. Royce Leather – Best on Budget
- 9 6. Forevermore Padfolio with Zippered Closure and Removable 3-Ring Binder – Best Travel Padfolio
- 10 7. Nero Manetti – Zippered Vegan Leather Padfolio – Best Vegan Leather Legal Padfolio
- 11 8. Skycase A4 Portfolio Padfolio – Best Dyed Leather Padfolio
- 12 9. Gallaway Leather Padfolio – Best Minimal Leather Padfolio
- 13 10. Toplive Padfolio with Magnet Closure – Best Non-Traditional Leather Padfolio
- 14 What is a Padfolio Used For?
- 15 Travel-Specific Leather Padfolios
- 16 Who Makes Good Leather Padfolios?
- 17 Who Makes the Best Leather Portfolio for Travel?
- 18 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Leather Padfolio
- 19 Ready To Buy The Best Leather Padfolios?
A padfolio is an organizational tool. It allows you to carry papers, folders, and other office or art supplies in a durable case. The design is meant to keep your important paperwork smooth.
Padfolios come in different sizes, though most are about as big as your standard 3-ring binder, with a slim spine, zippered top, and more attractive cover.
How Does a Padfolio Compare to a Binder?
Compared to a binder or an accordion file, a padfolio is completely enclosed. This means no dirt and moisture has direct access to the contents of the padfolio.
Further, choosing a leather padfolio can mean additional protection from the elements and the occasional accident. If you want to stay organized and give off a professional vibe, a leather padfolio does just that.
Not only that, but leather padfolios don’t need to cost much more than a binder. A great option, reviewed below, costs less than $15.
Comparing The Best Leather Padfolios
|Samsill Professional Padfolio|
|Lautus Designs Zippered Leather Business Padfolio|
|IVESIGN PU Leather Business Padfolio|
|Royce Leather Presentation|
1. Samsill Professional Padfolio – Best Overall
Our recommendation for any affordable padfolio is to choose a black color. This is because the quality of a faux leather padfolio just isn’t there to pull off brown. However, if you’re looking for that brown leather look, consider upgrading to genuine leather padfolio at a higher price point.
One outstanding feature about all Samsill resume padfolios is the open-style pocket. This is ideal for easily sliding a resume in or out without worrying about creasing corners.
Better yet, this version of Samsill padfolios has an optional zipper, which gives it a bit of versatility and perhaps more practical use beyond the interview.
Why Buy the Samsill Professional Padfolio?
- Multipurpose: Samsill Professional Padfolios are designed and manufactured for all modern-age professionals. Therefore, regardless of your profession, you can have yourself this bonded leather cover that bears the look of genuine leather.
- Minimalistic design with a contrasting stitching: These padfolios boast a clutter-free and functional design that are unisex. Also, they come in contrasting color schemes.
- Seamless Organization: A Samsill Professional Padfolio allows you to organize loose pages, letters, envelopes, papers, documents and business cards with much ease. This is due to the internal pockets and compartments.
- Large interior pocket: This line of padfolios has a large interior pocket that you can use to store your notebooks and other documents of similar sizes. In addition, the pocket can be used as a tablet pocket given that most tablet sizes range from 7.7 inches to 9.7 inches.
2. Wundermax Professionals – Lots of Storage
With a Wundermax Padfolio, you won’t have to worry about losing anything. This padfolio has secure interior pockets as well as a strong exterior zipper to prevent any loose items from falling out. It is reversible hence appropriate for both righties and lefties.
Why Buy Wundermax Padfolio?
- Appearance: Wundermax padfolio might appear as a standard PU Leather folio with just a single front pocket. However, as soon as you open it up, you’ll realize the premium design that this padfolio comes with. Instead of vinyl-backed leather, Wundermax uses double stitched leather on both sides. There are several compartments available to store all of your goods, giving a stuffed folio a very professional appearance.
In addition, Wundermax gives you the freedom to choose any color you like as long as it’s black. One could argue that this padfolio isn’t something that makes you stand out instantly, but up close you can tell that it’s a premium model.
- Storage: Based on the research that we conducted, we found out that this padfolio can hold more than most models. The front pocket offers storage for the 8.5 x 11 documents. On opening it up, you’ll find more slots, where you can store your tablet up to 10.1 inches and any other document.
- Versatility: This padfolio case boasts more pen loops and pockets than standard planners as well as a reversible legal pad to fit right or left-handed people.
- Durability: When shopping for a padfolio, it is advisable that you get one that will serve you longer. Wundermax Professionals Padfolio is definitely one of the most durable folios on our list. It’s been hand-crafted, made from multiple layers of PU leather that bonds together many times over, using separate pieces to reinforce all of the common wear spots.
3. Lautus Designs Zippered Leather Business Padfolio – Most Professional Look
Why Buy a Lautus Designs Zippered Leather Business Padfolio?
- Professional look: This padfolio complements your general look in a way that one can tell from a distance that you’re indeed a professional.
- Great gift: Thinking of an ideal gift for your boss? Worry no more, this padfolio comes in a sturdy and elegant gift box. Similarly, it includes a notepad and owner ID card.
- Warranty: This padfolio comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty guaranteeing it’s free from defects and in case of any then you can always get a replacement.
4. IVESIGN PU Leather Business Padfolio – Most Versatile
The smoothly curved edges mean it can be comfortably used for multiple applications. Needless to say, you could put business cards, notes, papers, as well as a 10-inch tablet into its intended compartment.
This padfolio weighs about 2.71 pounds and is impressed with a stylish leather PU zipper found on the side of the padfolio, which is used for closing and opening.
Its inside has a double compartment system for which you could store 15 credit cards through pocket-sized slots, a notebook, a calculator, a CD, a smartphone or tablet as needed.
5. Royce Leather – Best on Budget
One important thing about this padfolio is that it can be customized such that you can have it monogrammed or personalized, which makes it a perfect gift for your friends, family, and colleagues.
It is not only classy but also very professional that it is perfect to bring to your business meetings, interviews, and any other business errands.
Generally, it is an all-purpose carryall writing portfolio as it is designed with several pockets and compartments. This includes a business card pocket, ID card window and other additional pockets. These pockets conveniently store your notes and some documents.
Why buy a Royce Leather Padfolio?
- Exquisite: Finding a padfolio that meets all your professional needs can be a challenging exercise. Royce Leather padfolio is an outstanding product that will perfectly meet your needs.
- Spacious: Have additional pockets hence you’re able to store more documents and accessories.
6. Forevermore Padfolio with Zippered Closure and Removable 3-Ring Binder – Best Travel Padfolio
Why Buy a Forevermore Travel Leather Padfolio?
- Removable 3-Ring Binder: Have some laminated documents or documents you need to easily flip to on the go? A binder may be your best option. With this padfolio, you can get the best of both worlds.
- Premium Vegan Leather Made for Durability: Not all leather is created equal. Vegan leather, like the type used for this padfolio, looks natural and has the same durability as top-tier leather. It can take much more abuse than bonded leathers and is sustainable and non-toxic.
- A Layout Designed for Travel: Not every leather padfolio was designed with the organized traveler in mind. This padfolio was. Every pocket and folder was crafted with the demands of frequent travel in mind.
7. Nero Manetti – Zippered Vegan Leather Padfolio – Best Vegan Leather Legal Padfolio
Why Buy a Nero Manetti Zippered Vegan Leather Padfolio?
- Made for Legal Professionals: This particular model is meant for legal use, with a large interior notepad space and extra slots for business cards. There is even a pen slot meant for a large-bodied pen.
- Easy to Access Interior: Nero Manetti padfolios are made with simplicity and ease-of-use in mind. Need to quickly access a business card or your smartphone? The interior zippered compartments are easy to reach without fully opening your padfolio.
- Zippered Exterior Pocket: Some padfolios have an exterior pocket, but few have a zippered exterior pocket. If you are keeping a tablet or other important item in an exterior pocket, for quick access, a zipper helps keep this item safe.
8. Skycase A4 Portfolio Padfolio – Best Dyed Leather Padfolio
This Skycase padfolio comes in rose wine red, rose gold, and black. All three of these options are professional, though different from the standard brown and black of other padfolios.
Why Buy a Skycase A4 Padfolio?
- Slim Profile: If you need to keep your documents safe and be able to take notes wherever you are, this padfolio fits the bill.
- Colorful Choices: Not everyone wants a padfolio that’s black or brown. The two color options offered here are non-standard but still professional.
- Quick Access Magnet Closure: Instead of the typical zipper closure, this padfolio offers a magnetic tab.
9. Gallaway Leather Padfolio – Best Minimal Leather Padfolio
Why Buy a Gallaway Leather Padfolio?
- Upright Display: Need to show off what’s in your padfolio? With a simple flip, you can fold this Gallaway leather padfolio into an upright display.
- Minimalist Design: No excess pockets or folds. This is one of the slimmest profiles of any padfolio, even when filled with a traditional notepad.
- Reinforced Case: Some padfolios rely on the leather exterior and don’t have any hard shell or reinforcement. This case does have reinforcement. That makes taking notes, even without a desk, much easier.
10. Toplive Padfolio with Magnet Closure – Best Non-Traditional Leather Padfolio
This padfolio comes with built-in cord organization, note pad space, a secure zippered pocket, a snap-over document sleeve, and spaces for ID, credit cards, or business cards. There’s also a spot for an average-sized smartphone and a pen.
The entire padfolio has a light magnet close. Even better are the designs. All of the Toplive Padfolio options here are made of high-quality PU leather with reinforced stitching. There are 8 color options sure to fit any personality type.
Why Buy a Toplive Padfolio with Magnet Closure?
- Express Yourself with Color: Padfolios don’t have to be boring to be effective. If you want to stay traditional, you can also buy a common color option with a simple color stripe.
- Stay Connected: Need your headphones wherever you go? Want to make sure you have your smartphone at the ready? This padfolio by Toplive is one of the few options that make both of these things much easier to accomplish.
- Free Returns and a One-Year Warranty: Toplive is a brand that wants you to be happy with your padfolio. If your documents don’t fit as they should, the stitching comes loose, or you have any issues, they have a very reasonable return and replacement policy.
What is a Padfolio Used For?
A padfolio is used when you want to keep your important papers and documents organized in a safe, portable way. A padfolio is large but sleek. It’s meant to keep just what you need for your current project.
A leather padfolio is more durable than other options. Many consider this to be a great professional option for organization and portability. A padfolio can easily fit inside of a briefcase or tote and looks great when carried on its own, in addition to its practical features.
Most “padfolios” are meant to contain a full pad of paper or notebook, this is what differentiates them from your standard portfolio folder. Further, most of them have a little extra protection in the form of a thicker binding or exterior shell.
Travel-Specific Leather Padfolios
In addition to organization for office life, padfolios make an excellent travel accessory. Not only do they keep all of your documents in a durable and easy to grab case, but they’re also fairly unassuming. Even if these cases are dropped, rained on, or run over, the leather will often keep your documents safe.
Specific pockets for your devices, with a non-scratching interior, your ID, and passports are a standard feature. Many travel padfolios also come with options, like a strap, lock, or ring binder.
Who Makes Good Leather Padfolios?
Samsill makes good leather padfolios that will work for all types of people. These make great gifts for anyone that’s not used to using a padfolio. If you want to start using a padfolio, this is a great choice, too.
If you are a veteran padfolio user, or you’re looking to upgrade from your day-to-day binder or other organizational product, consider Nero Manetti. This brand offers a range of professional padfolios made of quality vegan leather.
Who Makes the Best Leather Portfolio for Travel?
Padfolios meant for travel are a little different than a standard padfolio. They have similar organizational components and an equally durable leather shell, but travel padfolios need more specific features.
Forevermore Portfolios makes leather padfolios and leather portfolios for travelers. These leather padfolios have specific pockets for your ID, passport, and other travel documents. Some models include a removable 3-ring binder so you can keep your travel itinerary and other necessary documents in one place.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Leather Padfolio
A padfolio is an important accessory as it speaks volumes about who you are as a person –messy, organized or prepared?
So when it’s time to get a new padfolio, it is important that you know what to look for. To aid in the search, we came up with four factors to consider when choosing the right padfolio.
Manufacturers produce padfolio in different colors. For instance, Samsill produces brown and sleek black padfolios. Regardless of the color you choose, ensure that it is classically stylized folio with an executive appearance.
The appearance of a padfolio is determined by the material used. Padfolio made of faux-leather is very soft and smooth to touch. Also, folios made from premium NAPA leather that their look and feel almost perfectly replicated.
How long a padfolio will serve you depending on the material it is made from. Folios are made from either Polyurethane (PU) or faux leather, real leather (top grain) or bonded.
Real leather is usually sanded to create an even, smooth texture, dyed and a finish coat applied to help it resist stains. Padfolios made from top grain leather offer the best feel along with best color depth and are very durable.
Faux leather, on the other hand, is a man-made material that looks and feels like genuine leather. Folios made of faux leather are water-resistant and easy to clean.
Compared to real leather folios, faux leather folios are fairly durable. On the brighter side, folios made of faux leather bear authentic touch, feel and have an exquisite look, something that is just about perfect for your professional needs.
When shopping for a padfolio, storage is one aspect that should not be overlooked. Get a folio that will be able to accommodate all your accessories and documents.
Ensure that you get the right size. For instance, a 13 x 10.5-inch folio is able to store standard 8.5 x11 inch sheets of paper and tablets of up to 10.1 inches. It is worth noting that the folio pockets are padded enough to prevent dents or scratches tablet.
A padfolio with more pockets and compartments means more storage space for different materials (ID card, notepad, tablet, sheets of paper, pointer, pen, smartphone, etc.).
One thing is that we cannot use it to store more things. If you are frequent personal or business travelers who prefer to keep their belongings by their side or under the seat, consider buying under seat luggage.
You don’t have to walk around with worries of your documents or accessories falling out of the folio, and for this reason, it is advisable to get a padfolio that has a zipper.
Most folios have a wrap-around zippered enclosure. However, you should ensure that the zipper is attached with an elastic material. This will help keep the folio taut, and thereby preventing the zipper from jamming when opening it.
Ready To Buy The Best Leather Padfolios?
If you’re looking to buy a padfolio, look at your needs, taste, and preference. Regardless of your budget, ensure that you make the right choice. It is our hope that this guide will help you make that choice as all the reviewed products have been tested and proven to be helpful.
A padfolio is a perfect way to have all accessories in the palm of your hand (tablet, pens, jump drives, business cards, etc). If you are a bike rider going to work consider buying waterproof motorcycle backpacks as they are very rugged, highly durable and water-resistant.
If you are looking for a more compact pack, consider buying leather fanny pack as they are convenient and useful to store phones, cameras, and other items. A fanny pack is a small bag attached to a belt that you wear around your waist.