If you’re confused about whether or not to purchase KT Kobalt 21-inch 80V mower, you’ve come to the right place. While there are many things you will adore about this cordless electric lawn mower, there is still room for improvement because some features require upgrades.
Let’s face it, this is not the best lawn mower all around on the market. However, it is one of the best fast-charging electric lawn mowers that is definitely worth the money. The Kobalt 80-Volt mower comes with quick-charging batteries that only take 30 minutes to recharge.
Apart from the quick charging time, people like this cordless mower for its sturdy steel deck, easy push-button starting, 3-in-1 mowing options, and brushless motor that delivers great cutting power. The mulching option and cutting quality are also impressive.
Like most mowers, it allows you to discharge, bag, or mulch grass clippings. There are multiple cutting positions to pick from. The cutting height can be easily adjusted by moving a lever backward/forward on a wheel.
If you want to find out more about this product, keep reading the Kobalt 80V Mower review. Let’s reveal more facts about this electric lawn mower.
Kobalt 80V Mower Specs
Table of Contents
- Type: Battery-powered cordless electric
- Cutting positions: 7 height adjustments (from 1-3/8 inches to 3-3/8 inches)
- Motor: Highly efficient brushless motor
- Cutting path: 21 inches
- Runtime: 60-80 minutes
- Battery: 5.0 Ah battery
- Weight: 58 pounds
- Warranty: Generous 5-year warranty
Kobalt 80V Mower Key Features
- Powerful brushless 80-Volt motor: This rugged motor offers impressive power while maximizing runtime. The brushless motor is progressively productive and it can withstand many years of daily use.
- Multiple cutting height options: It is possible to lower or lift the mower deck anywhere from 1.375 to 3.375 inches. Use the single-lever height adjustment to choose any of the 7 easy-to-adjust cutting heights.
- Handle-folding system: This useful system allows for compact transport and vertical storage as well. It can help you save space. The foldable handle is ergonomically designed and it has built-in knobs. They should be turned in order to fold down the handle.
- 3 cutting capabilities: Side-discharging, bagging, and mulching. Switch between these three options, depending on the mowing conditions and your needs.
- 2-stage starting system: This feature involves a 2-stage starting process for safe operation. After pushing the start button, you should pull the handle to get started.
- A wide 21″ cutting path: The mower doesn’t skimp on the cutting path. This means you will be able to cut your grass efficiently and mow a smaller lawn in a few passes.
Battery & Charger
The machine is powered by a 5.0 Ah 80V lithium-ion battery. A charger is also included. It only takes 30 minutes to charge the battery. Putting in and removing the batteries is fairly easy.
It is important to note that the battery is interchangeable with any Kobalt power tool that shares the 80V Li-ion platform.
With a fully charged battery, you can mow up to 80 minutes. There are battery-light indicators both on the mower and charger, so you’ll be able to check the battery level while mowing.
You will be able to get through a quarter acre lawn on a single battery under normal conditions. However, this mower is not suitable for large yards above 0.5 acres in size.
The batteries are covered by a 3-year warranty and can last a good amount of time.
How to Use the Kobalt 80V Mower
The Kobalt 80V Mower is easy to use. Once you’ve charged and installed the battery, start the machine right up by following these simple steps:
- Two-stage starting – Push the button, grab the handlebar and pull back on the foldable handle. It starts up easily. The handle is curved nicely so to be easy on the hands and it features a foam grip to make working a pleasure.
- Adjust the deck height with the single-lever. There are seven height settings to choose from. Make sure the cutting height is high enough to prevent the deck from getting clumped with grass and make that the cutting blade keep spinning.
- Adjust the handle height – there are three height options – so that you can comfortably walk behind the mower. Release the start handle if the machine gets clogged to prevent damage.
- Choose between side discharging, rear bagging, and mulching according to your needs. If you opt for mulching, which is suited for tall grass, you will have to install the mulcher lock.
- Bagging the clippings is easy thanks to a bag that is easy to put back and remove. The grass falls right out of the bag when dumping it. While there are no clogging problems with this bag, it fills quickly
- When you are done with mowing, store the machine upright in a dry and clean place, whether it is a carport or shed. By folding the handle completely, you can make it take up less storage space.
When it comes to maintenance of this lawnmower, you need to inspect the blade occasionally and clean it regularly. Pay special attention to the area underneath the deck. Additionally, maintenance involves servicing as needed.
User Feedback & Reviews
Most Common Complaints
- Handles are awkward to fold: Some customers find the handle and wheels somewhat sloppy. In addition, it is a bit tricky to fold for storage.
- It struggles on tall grass: The blade can do a great job of slicing through even thick, wet grass without much problem. Even though the mulching option will let you cut tall grass, the mower will struggle a lot when dealing with it.
- The battery’s power could be better: Another complaint about this electric mower is regarding battery power. Compared to other lawnmowers, it is slightly weak.
Most Common Praises
- Easy to use: The users find it easy to operate. Whether you are snapping on the chute, installing the mulch lock, or removing the rear bag, everything about this machine is quite easy.
- Good quality of the cut: The cut quality is a huge improvement. Many homeowners are satisfied with it, as there are lots of positive reviews for the quality of the cut. The mower can cut wet grass.
- Durable body: The deck is made of steel for greater strength. While the steel deck provides excellent bagging and cutting, it adds to the durability and weight of the machine as well.
- Short battery-charging time: With this fast-charging battery-powered mower, you will skip yardwork delays and long recharge hours. The battery indicator light will prevent you from running out of power.
How Much Does the Kobalt 80V Mower Cost?
You can expect to pay anywhere from $400 to $500, depending on whether the battery and charger are included or not.
The Kobalt 80-Volt mower is certainly not the most affordable option on the market. However, this product still offers good value for money and great cost-effectiveness, given that it doesn’t have high-maintenance requirements.
Summary: Is the Kobalt 80V Mower Worth Buying?
Overall, the Kobalt 80-Volt mower is a great option for people who prefer cordless electric over standard gas lawn mowers. This product is a good clean-energy alternative to gas-powered mowers. It is perfect for lawns and flat yards less than 1/2 acres (0.2 hectares) in size.
You can rest assured that this efficient yet powerful push-button lawn mower will give your yard a perfectly clean trim. It can do a good job of bagging, mulching, and cutting. Unlike bulky gas-powered mowers, it can be maneuvered without much effort.
People go for the Kobalt 80-Volt mower because it is easy to push, lightweight, extremely quiet, and powerful. However, the relatively high price can make some people pass on this lawn mower. Yet it is worth a buy when taking everything into consideration.