A knee brace for a torn meniscus, a type of rehabilitative knee brace, is a type of brace used to protect a damaged knee joint. The best knee brace for a torn meniscus will be lightweight, will not slip, and will have a customizable fit.
Knee injuries are debilitating and painful, and having a torn meniscus is no exception. Some symptoms of a torn meniscus include swelling, stiffness, a popping sensation, pain, difficulty straightening your knee, and feeling like your knee is locked in place.
However, there is hope. If you get the right brace for a torn menisucus, it will drastically reduce discomfort, and help you recover much faster. To further increase your recovery speed, you should also consider buying the right ice therapy machine, which is another effective way to reduce the swelling and pain in your knee. (Source).
Purchasing the wrong knee brace for your torn meniscus can be worse than not wearing one at all. An incorrect brace can actually aggravate the injury, rather than help heal it. Before purchasing a knee brace for your torn meniscus, consider the weight, material quality, and customizability.
In this write up, we will examine all the top rated knee braces for a torn meniscus. All of the knee braces in this review will help you feel better and speed along your recovery, whether you have a bucket handle, flap, or radial meniscus tear in your meniscus. (Source).
Comparing The Best Knee Braces for a Torn Meniscus
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Best Knee Braces for a Torn Meniscus
- 2 1. Vive Hinged Knee Brace-Adjustable — The Best Brace for Lateral Stability
- 3 2. Shock Doctor Knee Brace, Knee Support for Stability, ACL/PCL Injuries— The Brace with the Most Unique Design
- 4 3. Knee Brace Compression Sleeve — The Most Affordable Brace for Meniscus Tears
- 5 4. TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support — The Best Brace for Even Support
- 6 5. Winzone Knee Support with Adjustable Strapping Breathable Neoprene Sleeve — The Most Flexible Knee Brace for Torn Meniscus
- 7 What to Consider When Purchasing a Knee Brace for a Torn Meniscus
- 8 Ready to Buy The Right Knee Brace?
|Vive Hinged Knee Brace-Adjustable Open Patella Support for Swollen ACL, Tendon Ligament and Meniscus Injuries|
|Shock Doctor Knee Brace, Knee Support for Stability, ACL/PCL Injuries, Patella Support, Meniscus Injuries|
|Knee Brace Compression Sleeve, Best Knee Support Braces for Meniscus Tear, Arthritis (By Crucial Compression)|
|TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support- Relieves ACL, LCL, MCL, Meniscus Tear, Arthritis, Tendonitis Pain|
|Winzone Knee Support with Adjustable Strapping Breathable Neoprene Sleeve|
1. Vive Hinged Knee Brace-Adjustable — The Best Brace for Lateral StabilityThe Vive Hinged brace is uniquely equipped for lateral stability because of its aluminum support hinges. The hinges which are located on both sides of the knee add support and prevent dangerous lateral knee movement. That in turns assists in the recovery of a torn meniscus and helps prevent a re-injury.
Note that after the meniscus is healed, you can remove the hinges to decrease the support. That makes the brace versatile because once you reduce the support, it can be repurposed for protection. It will protect the knee when running, working out, or playing various sports.
The brace is made from compression material—latex-free neoprene. The material not only supports a torn meniscus but is also ideal for injured tendons, joints, and ligaments. Additionally, the compression material provides ACL, MCL and Patella support for strains, sprains and patella tracking. Such a broad range of uses makes the brace multi-purpose.
The neoprene material used in the costume makes it lightweight and breathable. The brace is, therefore, comfortable and you can wear it all day long without experiencing discomfort. The open patella design also plays a considerable role in making the brace breathable and comfortable.
Vive has extra-strength fasteners. The fasteners guarantee a perfect fit and prevent constant readjustment as a result of the brace rolling down. Also, the straps allow you to customize the fit of the brace to your exact specifications.
2. Shock Doctor Knee Brace, Knee Support for Stability, ACL/PCL Injuries— The Brace with the Most Unique DesignThe Shock Doctor’s most noticeable feature is the X-fit Strap System. The feature is unique enough that it is under review for patent certification. The Strap System securely wraps the leg contours to facilitate maximum stability. The stability aids in healing a torn meniscus.
The brace has a pre-curved designed which contours to the bend of the knee naturally. This facilitates ease of wear, an enhanced fit, and comfortability. To further enhance ease of wear, the brace has finger tabs that offer a secure grip when fitting.
The Shock Doctor has bilateral support hinges which lock at 180 degrees to prevent hyperextension. Consequently, they keep the kneecap stable without restricting movement. The stability and compression help prevent and heal medial and lateral instability, meniscus injuries and minor ligament sprains.
The four-way stretch Lycra at the back of the knee provides long-lasting comfort. In addition, the premium stitching assembly complete with a patella support finishing adds to the comfort and ensures you can wear the brace all day long without ill effects.
The Shock Doctor brace has an air-flow-vented neoprene material. The air flow provides moisture wicking compression. The compression reduces the pain and swelling caused by a meniscus injury. Also, it keeps the knee area warm which enhances blood circulation for faster recovery
For a perfect fit; the rule of thumb is to measure the circumference of your knee below the center of your knee cap (the patella).
3. Knee Brace Compression Sleeve — The Most Affordable Brace for Meniscus TearsThe Knee Brace Compression Sleeve is ideal for rehabilitation and for managing inflammation. It features a Power Support technology that improves blood circulation and heats up your muscles. The improved blood circulation facilitates a fast recovery.
The sleeve features a ComfortFlex design that provides a fit, snug, and comfortable fit. Note that despite being snug to offer compression, it does not cut off circulation nor restrict motion. The compression relieves pain and reduces the swelling caused by a meniscus tear.
The sleeve has a Double Silicone Grip. The grip holds the braces up to ensure they stay in place without sliding down. Additionally, the grip guarantees the braces will not bunch up behind the knees. That means you can wear them underneath your clothing comfortably.
The Knee Brace Compression Sleeve features double stitching and long lasting construction. That makes it durable and ensures it does not lose the compression over time. The material used is high-quality nylon, rubber, and spandex.
Finally, the braces have a stabilizing ring. The ring keeps the kneecap in place to prevent further injury. Note that other than helping in injuries, the braces are also great for running, jogging, hiking, cycling and other physically demanding sport or job.
4. TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support — The Best Brace for Even SupportThe bi-directional strap system sets this Techware Pro Knee Brace Support apart. With most knee supports, the straps come from one direction which causes an uneven pull either to the left or right. However, with this particular brace, two straps support one direction, and another strap originates from the opposite direction.
As a result, there is a uniform compression and tension around the patella which in turn provides even support. The even support prevents re-injury, and it also helps in minimizing the knee pain and swelling caused by a meniscus injury.
The open patella design relieves pressure and stress, and it increases compression around the kneecap and tendon areas. That helps in healing a meniscus tear and a host of other knee injuries. Note that the brace also contains four spring stabilizers for stability and increased kneecap protection.
The brace features moisture wicking lightweight neoprene. The moisture-wicking nature keeps the knee dry, prevents odors and facilitates a constant flow of warm air in the knee region. The warm air enhances blood circulation which in turn promotes faster recovery.
The braces have no-slip silicone grips that keep them up and prevent them from slipping. That facilitates user convenience because you don’t have to keep pulling the braces up. Note that the support the TechWare braces provide is not only ideal for healing injuries, but also for physically demanding activities.
That means after your meniscus injury heals, you can use the brace to provide support when running, walking cycling and any other physical activity.
5. Winzone Knee Support with Adjustable Strapping Breathable Neoprene Sleeve — The Most Flexible Knee Brace for Torn MeniscusThe Winzone’s flexibility comes from the adjustability options. The brace features Velcro straps that you can keep adjusting until you get a perfect fit. In addition, strapping on the brace and taking it off is effortless and painless.
The Winzone features an open patella design that facilitates compression and support around the kneecap and tendon areas. That compression is ideal for relieving the pain that results from a meniscus tear. Also, it reduces stress on the knee joint during intense physical activities.
The unique bevel two straps provide more support which, in turn, helps prevent re-injury. Note that due to the superior support, the braces also help to relieve acute and chronic knee pain from arthritis, strains, sprains, and fatigue. That makes the brace versatile and multipurpose.
The brace is made from high-quality neoprene material which improves blood circulation to the muscles and tendons. The improved blood circulation facilitates fast healing. Also, the breathability nature of neoprene ensures the braces are comfortable and can be worn all day long.
The brace does not restrict movement. However, if you feel otherwise, you can adjust the straps to reduce the support and increase the mobility. Finally, note that the brace is slim and compact enough that you can comfortably wear it under the pants. That facilitates user convenience.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Knee Brace for a Torn Meniscus
Selecting a brace for a meniscus tear is critical because buying a wrong brace might aggravate the injury. Here are some things you ought to consider.
The Severity of the Meniscus Tear
A meniscus tear can be minor, moderate or severe.
A Minor Tear
It is characterized by slight pain and swelling which reduces in about two to three weeks. With a minor tear, the goal should be to get a brace that relieves the pain and reduces the swelling. Braces with effective compression and breathable fabric often do so.
A Moderate Tear
A moderate tear is characterized by
- A swelling that progressively gets worse.
- Inability or a limited ability to bend your knee.
- A stiff and swollen
- A sharp pain whenever you squat.
With a moderate tear, the goal is to get a brace that keeps the kneecap stable and prevents hyperextension. It should also provide enough compression to relieve pain and swelling.
A Severe Tear
In extreme cases, a severe tear might require surgery. It is characterized by
- A knee that won’t straighten.
- A knee pop or lock.
- A feeling that you cannot walk or that your knee may give way.
- Swelling and stiffness.
With a severe tear, you need the best possible brace. It should keep the knee in a stable position to avoid further damage to the cartilage. It should relieve pain and swelling. Lastly, It should ease ligament strain.
However, if you are convinced your tear is severe, then it is advisable to seek a medical opinion first.
With regards to construction, you should select a material that is durable. That way, the knee braces will last a long time. You should also ensure the material is breathable. It is especially crucial that the material be breathable if you happen to spend a lot of time in your braces.
Breathable material prevents rashes and irritations.
Fitting is crucial. If you get a brace that does not fit, then it will not provide the necessary support. For a moderate or severe meniscus tear where support is crucial, it is advisable to go down a size. Remember though that a very tight brace can restrict blood flow and cause more damage.
However, the key to getting the right fit is consulting the sizing chart. Follow the directions on how to measure your knee circumference and compare your results with the sizes offered.
Nothing is more annoying than a brace that keeps slipping. For one, that brace will not be effective. Second, it will be uncomfortable.
When deciding on a brace, check to see the features that prevent slipping. Go for a brace that guarantees no slipping.
Ready to Buy The Right Knee Brace?
When it comes to a meniscus tear, purchasing a brace is only the first step. Here are some tips to ensure you heal properly:
- Rest the knee and avoid walking on it frequently.
- Elevate the knee as much as possible.
- Ice the knee in twenty-minute
- When not in a brace, wrap the leg to facilitate compression.
Are you an avid hiker? Are you recovering from a knee injury or are suffering from arthritis? Hiking, especially for long distances, is not going to be as comfortable as it used to be. Buying hiking knee braces will be the right choice.
Also, if you’re going hiking at night, consider getting a quality headlamp.