With a good robe, you can have a relaxing morning routine without worrying about tedious dress-ups. It is that tiny bit of luxury that may help you start your day with a boost of positivity. While robes are available in plenty of styles, Kimono robes are what we will discuss in this post.
Most people are aware that Kimono is a popular and traditional Japanese dress. However, Kimono is a generalized term labeled by the Orientals as a garment.
In the west, the word Kimono has frequently been linked with robes because both apparel have standard features, like sleeves, flowing design, etc., (Source).
The idea of designing Kimono robes was to offer people a relaxed and informal wearable. That’s why these robes are a part of the dresses in general, which are known for their cozy and comfortable feel when worn. Let’s look at the 5 best Kimono robes you can purchase right now.
Also, we will provide you a detailed guide on Kimono robes.
Comparing The Top 5 Picks
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Top 5 Picks
- 2 DIY Kimono Robes Tutorial
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 Brief History Of Kimono Robes
- 5 Plus Size Kimono Robes
- 6 Men’s Kimono Robes
- 7 Various Colors And Styles
- 8 Kimono Robes For Weddings
- 9 What About Kimono Robes For Kids?
- 10 Ready To Buy A Kimono Robe?
- LENGHT: 53" 134cm Sleeve length: 12" 32cm Shoulder Width 24" 60cm Light weight, soft comfortable beach dress, beach cover up.
- Material of the kimono robe: Polyester.
- EXPERIENCE SUPREME COMFORT: Designed using the finest ultra-soft velour, this house robe for women makes for absolutely comfortable...
- Material: 100% Charmeuse Satin, comfortable and lightweight.
DIY Kimono Robes Tutorial
Perhaps, you are interested in designing your Kimono robe as a DIY project. Here is a quick tutorial to get you started on that.
Unlike Kimono dresses, Kimono robes do not have many accessories to purchase or complicated wearing methods. All you need is to pull your arms out of its sleeves and tie the sash to cover your body.
However, you do need to invest in the right robe that fits your style and comfort. Here are certain factors that you need to consider before buying a Kimono robe.
- Fitting – The ideal Kimono robe for you will be the one that provides a cozy fit. Fitting is essential so that the robe does not slide off your shoulders or obligate you to keep adjusting the sash while you wear it.
- Length – You have to choose a robe with the right length, which is the distance between the collar and the hem. Kimono robes are shorter in length, reaching up or below the knees.
- Width – The width of your Kimono robe is crucial so that it covers or envelops completely, including the hips and stomach, without an extremely tight or loose fit.
- Sash – This component is the belt worn around the waist of the robe. Its length is proportional to the waist measurements of the robe.
- Sleeve – A robe’s sleeve is also an important factor when purchasing it. It doesn’t matter whether the sleeves reach down till the elbows or till the fingertips as long as you feel comfortable wearing one. Thus, decide the length of the robe’s sleeve before buying it.
- Sleeve Opening – While it may not bother you, choosing an appropriate measurement for the sleeve opening can look not only appealing but also comfortable.
- Sweep – The bottom hem measured from edge to edge is the sweep part, which needs to be neither too tight nor to loose for the perfect fit.
- Weight – While Kimono robes are quite lightweight, robes of a certain quality can be uncomfortable to wear if you ignore the weight distribution of the apparel. For summers, choose a breathable and light fabric-based Kimono robe to stay comfortable.
- Fabric – It is important to determine the fabric you are interested in for your kimono robe choice. Some robes are heavier and warmer than others, such as silk, cotton, etc., which are more suitable for winters. For lightweight and breathable fabrics, you can choose materials like cashmere, chenille, polyester,
- Design – The modern kimono robes do not have a fixed style. You can get various prints, multiple styles in belts, sleeves, etc. Choose the one that you prefer the most.
Brief History Of Kimono Robes
Going back through time, you will find that the modern-day Kimono first popularized during the Heian Period (794-1185) in Japan. It was a traditional dress that was worn after taking creative ideas from China’s Hakama dress, a traditional dress with a long skirt.
The Japanese version of Hakama, known as Kimono, became instantly popular in the region. However, the designers wanted the Kimono to be closed together differently. Thus, Obi was designed, a large sash worn around the waist to keep the robe enclosed.
By the year 1185-1333 in the Kamakura Period, Kimono had gained wide popularity, and it became the number one choice of fashion among the people during that time. Many believe that kimonos flourished when the traditional color combinations in Japan were invented (Source). Many chose particular colors for their kimono styles, which represented their families, political tie-ups, gender, and seasons.
Later in the Edo Period (1603-1868), the manufacturing kimonos developed into an advanced craft, as several forms of kimono styles were considered highly valuable among art lovers. Kimonos of high value were even transferred from generation to generation in various families.
The most prominent reason for the popularity of these traditional dresses was their flexibility. One could easily modify and layer them with various fabrics to create their seasoned style. If people wanted to wear them in the winters, they would layer silk-based kimonos to keep themselves warm.
Unfortunately, in the later periods, like the Meiji Period (1868-1912), wearing kimonos was considered quite time-consuming. So, the government discouraged them and focused more on promoting the western style of clothing. However, the kimono robes of the contemporary period reached the other parts of the world, thus becoming a popular choice among men and women as comfortable and relaxing apparel.
Plus Size Kimono Robes
If you have a broad physique, a plus-size kimono could be a good option for you. These are available in a variety of sizes ranging from XL to 6XL U.S. size. They come with an appropriate sash belt to easily tie around the waist.
- It's the right season to slip into our sleek soft long silk robes/plus size long satin robes/long bridal robes/long bridesmaid robes/ full length...
- Materials: 100% Polyester.
- Fabric type: Broadcloth.
Additionally, plus size kimono robes are designed smartly so that the bust area is covered efficiently from the front. The belt sits perfectly around the waist, thus creating an appealing look of the hip area. Even the relaxed collar is broad enough to give a subtle and elegant feel while wearing such a robe.
Even if you have rounded shoulders, kimono robes in plus size will sit perfectly over the sides, making the sleeves fall to the desired level. Do make sure that you choose a proper size for yourself. You do not want it to be too loose or tight around your body, which takes away the feel of comfort while wearing one.
Men’s Kimono Robes
For men, kimono robes have been designed, keeping in mind the latest fashion trends. You can choose a traditional style for the robe or find something more relaxed. Some kimonos for men wear like a jacket without tying the belt around the waist, and they look very smart.
- Relaxed Fit - Kimono style robe
- 95%Polyster/5%Spandex.Premium silk-like fabric.Enjoy the silk-like feel of satin fabric in this classic Bathrobet for men
- PREMIUM MATERIAL---80% Polyester+20% Cotton (Terry). Soft, skin-friendly, lightweight and comfortable design; Weight 350g. Double stitched for...
Some belts are pre-stitched within the robes, which men can tie whenever they like without carrying additional accessories. With a variety of lightweight fabrics, exotic designs, and comfortable layouts, men’s kimono robes are more flexible in variety nowadays.
Many online stores even market such kimono robes as kimono jackets for attracting the younger generation. And, seeing the comfortable feel while wearing them urges them to try these out. If you like, you can even mix kimono robe jackets with other western clothing to create your unique style.
Various Colors And Styles
Modern Kimono robes have been marketed in a variety of styles and colors, which have certainly attracted many around the world. You will find some of the popular styles that customers have been known to buy.
Dragon-Inspired Kimono Robes
Just like other Asian countries, Dragons have a high significance in Japanese culture. In Japan, dragons are called Ryū. Dragons in their culture are known to be the benefactors and protectors of mankind.
- Size: S (Chest : 38" , Height : 5'9" - 5'11") , Size: M (Chest : 40" , Height : 5'9" - 5'11")
- ★ PERFECT FOR MANY OCCASIONS - Suitable for valentine, bridesmaid, hen night, cosplay, geisha, hen party, wedding , bridal shower or everyday...
- According to your height and weight, we recommend the following sizes for you: L (5'25 - 5'58,110-154lb), XL (5'58 - 5'74,154-176lb) and 2XL(5'74 -...
Thus, printing a dragon over a kimono robe signifies more than a style symbol. In the western world, dragons are considered cool, making them a great design aspect on Kimono robes. Men especially prefer these styled robes for their masculinity and color combinations.
However, subtle serpent-like dragon prints with pastel colors could also be a great choice for women if preferred.
Black Kimono Robes
One of the most popular colors available in kimono robes is black. This color also has a high level of importance in Japan. Japanese find the color black linked with formality and dignity. For formal wear, black robes are suitable apparel in the Japanese culture, representing their family crest.
- 【Soft Material】 :Elegant Short robe for cool day. Warm and soft fabric. Let you enjoy the relaxed and cozy time at home.These bathrobes will keep...
- Note:Fabric has no stretch
- Light and sleek fabric to accentuate curves; Smooth to the touch and easy on the skin.
Black kimono robes also show maturity and soberness in the one who wears it. Married women, too, are encouraged to wear these. However, modern-style black kimono robes, especially in the west, are much more relaxed. You can choose them if black is a preferable color for you.
White Kimono Robes
Just like black, white kimono robes are also considered necessary in Japan. White is a pure color for the people there, and it associates with divinity and purity. In Japan, you will find priests wearing white robes while indulging in religious ceremonies. However, the color white in their culture also links to an attire worn in funerals.
- Gauze, Cozy and skin-friendly
- -One Size: Robe Length 110cm(43"), Suitable for weight below 75kg(165 lbs)
- Material: Charmeuse satin, silky and breathable.
In the U.S. or similar western countries, white also represents purity. The soothing color looks great on kimono robes, especially when designed with a subtle floral print. You can also create beautiful combination styles with white robes that are open from the front.
Purple Kimono Robes
Purple kimonos were considered to be of great importance in Japan, as these colored robes were only allowed for the Aristocrats and the highest-ranking officials in the Land of the Rising Sun. Common people had no right to wear these auspicious colored robes during the Edo-Period Japan specifically.
- Material: Made of 100% satin, soft and lightweight.
- Material: 100% Charmeuse Satin, comfortable and lightweight.
It was also noted that Japanese merchants with strong influence used to line purple silk fabric with their brown kimonos during that period. All those restrictions have now worn off, which has since made purple robes one of the most popular in Japan and other countries nowadays.
Green Kimono Robes
Green is another popular color in Japan that represents fertility and youth. It is also a popular color for vitality and youth. Men, in particular, loved this color on their kimono robes. In the west, the color is a popular choice among fashion lovers for its freshness.
- Material:Satain.Our robes looks and feels extremely luxurious,it feels very smooth and soft and comfortable.It makes you look very sexy and adorable.
- ✿The elegant robes for women are made of polyester; soft and smooth. Suitable for hand wash, machine wash and dry cleaning.
A green kimono also symbolizes immortality, renewal, and rebirth. Fashionable green-colored kimonos can be stylized with other clothes to create exotic looks for both men and women. You can find plenty of artwork combinations for these that solidifies the purity of this color.
Kimono Robes For Weddings
In Japan, kimono robes for weddings are available in a variety of styles and designs. Furthermore, their stylizing is a way to represent families, communities, and other tribal fashions. However, in the west, kimono robes are a type of robe style.
In particular, robots have a high significance during weddings, as these have become a popular choice among brides to wear while getting ready for their weddings.
- ✿Soft material:96%polyester and 4%spandex.The material is smooth, silky soft and skin-friendly. This satin robes for women makes you feel comfy all...
- These robes with glittering gold graphic "Mother of the Bride" "Maid of Honor" "Bride" "Bridesmaid" in script on the robe's back, it's perfect for the...
- Material: Made of 100% satin, soft and lightweight.
Being comfortable, lightweight, and cozy to wear, brides started wearing robes when they are undergoing a hairdo, makeup, manicure, etc. so that their actual wedding dress does not get in the way.
For bridesmaids, robes are a parting gift offered by brides after a wedding. Kimono robes are just one of the many beautifully-styled apparel preferred by brides. Unlike ordinary bathrobes, these come in various styles, colors, fabrics, and designs, which further makes Kimono robes a special piece of garment wrapped cozily around the body.
Kimono Robes For women During Maternity
Kimono robes are a perfect choice for women in their maternity period, as these comfortable and flexible garments can envelop any body size. The versatile belt and the loose collars in the front give a gentle enclosure around the body so that pregnant women do not feel tight.
- Maternity Labor Delivery Hospital Nursing Robe. Wrap yourself in style during pregnancy and beyond. Don't forget to pack this fabulous robe in your...
- Material:Made of lightweight satin fabric,shinny and smooth to touch,you will feel like wearing a ultra luxurious silk robe.It fits your skin,makes...
- These soft long robes for women are super stretchy,skin-friendly, soft, air permeability and absorbent.
However, it is important to choose the correct size so that the fitting looks good around the body. Also, a long kimono robe can be worn with comfortable pants to ensure that the area below the waist covered from beneath.
What About Kimono Robes For Kids?
If men and women can get beautiful kimono dresses, then why not kids? That’s why you will find plenty of kimono robes for children as well. Kimono robes for kids have been created, keeping their preferences in mind.
- Material: High Quality Silky Polyester. Lightweight & Comfortable.
- Material: Thin satin silk (silky smooth, light and sleek)
- GREAT FLOWER GIRL ROBES FOR WEDDING: Beautiful kimono robe design. This flower girl robe will be perfect for kid girl to wear for the wedding party;...
You will find a variety of floral prints with vibrant color patterns designed on high-quality and lightweight fabrics for little girls. Kimono robes for young boys even come in a variety of prints representing the Japanese culture. The traditional layout looks quite lovely on kids for sure.
Ready To Buy A Kimono Robe?
Thanks to the modern world, which has more freedom, Kimono robes could reach the other parts of the world with more relaxed styling and designing. Unlike other heavy robes, kimono robes are great for having a good time in the morning or just enjoying your day off.
If you are interested in buying one for yourself or a loved one, then consider our guide to understanding the popular design choices, styles, and the right way of choosing one.
Let us know if we missed a style or design you found quite intriguing in Kimono robes!