As an avid player that you are, you must have realized that there are times when your reaction time is a bit slow. This begs the question, is it really possible to improve your reaction time while playing video games? Well, this is possible so long as you follow the right procedure.
For many players today, gaming is not just a way of having fun; it is actually an activity that requires a vast array of skills. In most cases, you just have to keep practicing to master those skills (Source). However, there are several things you can do today to boost your reaction time.
In this regard, here is how you can easily boost your reaction time for gaming.
1. How to Improve Your Physical Reaction Time
Table of Contents
- 1 1. How to Improve Your Physical Reaction Time
- 2 2. Precision Practice Against Reaction Time
- 3 3. Keep Your Hands Warm
- 4 4. Get in the Right Mood and Posture
- 5 5. Get the Right Gaming Equipment
- 6 6. Stay Fit
- 7 Final Verdict
Different video games require you to be very fast in reacting to various situations. To be able to do this correctly, you are supposed to improve the way you react to reflexes. In this regards, these steps can help you improve your physical reaction time:
Test Your Current Reaction Time
To begin with, you need to understand how you are performing on games that require fast reaction times. This is the only way you can ascertain the best way of improving your reaction time. In this regard, you may use the following methods:
- Test your average performance by carrying out 50 trials of the Sheep Dash
- Carry out about 50 trials of Human Benchmark Reaction Time Test
For two consecutive weeks, you should repeat the two of them for about 50 times each. Additionally, about 25 trials of the CS: GO Aim Training Mao and Shoot will also come in handy. For the best results, you should:
- Carry out about 5 repetitions of Shoot and do about 250 targets in the Intensive Fast Aiming. In this case, you are supposed to use an AK and default settings to do 5 rounds of 50 targets
- You should do this almost daily for about 5 days a week for two weeks
- On the second week, you can add about 5 trials of Aim booster to your gaming routine
- While doing this, you should record your performance on each trial. This way, you will be able to tell how you are actually faring.
2. Precision Practice Against Reaction Time
Maybe your reaction time is okay, but your precision is somewhat poor. In such a case, you are still going to have a problem playing video games. To be able to perform well in video games, you need to have a fast reaction time and be precise at the same time.
In this regard, the following activities can be of help:
- CS: Go Maps – you have been using this game to gauge and improve your reaction time for a while now. In addition to helping improving reaction time, this game has also been proven to help players improve on their precision
3. Keep Your Hands Warm
To many players, this may seem to be irrelevant. However, keeping your hands warm whenever you are playing video games can make a lot of difference. Various studies (Source), keeping your hands at a temperature of between 32 and 33 °C can boost your reaction by about 6 to 8 percent.
A drop in temperature below 30 °C tends to affect adrenaline production your body. This, in turn, will affect the response to various situations by your hands. This being the case, you need to keep your hands warm whenever you are playing video games.
4. Get in the Right Mood and Posture
Your reaction time may be a little poor simply because you are not concentrating on what you are doing. Posture is another aspect you need to focus on in a bid to enhance your reaction time. For you to better your reaction time, in this case, you have to:
- Assume the right posture for playing –preferably a sitting position—and loosen up your shoulders. This will help the hands move more freely and faster.
- Block out any external noise and any other distraction so that you can concentrate on the game you are currently playing.
- Relax and be mindful of what you are doing
5. Get the Right Gaming Equipment
Not having the right equipment for the game you are playing will also impact on your reaction time. For instance, most video games today tend to perform poorly on a 60 Hz monitor. In this regard, these are some of the things you should consider:
If you are using a 60 Hz monitor for your video games, there is no way you will be able to better your reaction time.
In such a case, you will need to upgrade to a better performing monitor, such as a 144 Hz gaming monitor. With the right video gaming equipment, your computer will be able to process more images per second. This will, in turn boost your reaction time on various video games.
For the purpose of aiming, you should invest in a monitor that has an input delay of less than 5ms. A screen that has a higher input delay will definitely affect your precision and overall performance in many video games.
Keyboard and Mouse
These are other pieces of equipment you should consider to improve your response time. One of the aspects you need to consider, in this regard, is the input delay of your mouse and keyboard. Just as is the case with gaming monitors, you should invest in a mouse and keyboard with a lower input delay.
For instance, if you happen to react to a situation in 190ms and are using a mouse or keyboard that has an input delay of 5ms, your overall reaction time will be 200ms. Using a mouse or keyboard that has an input delay of say 1ms, in such a case, will reduce reaction time to 196ms.
6. Stay Fit
Your overall health can also impact on your reaction time in video games. As such, it is advisable to stay keep your health on good shape. To be able to do this, you need to eat well and drink enough water as well as get enough sleep.
Based on various studies, keeping your body well hydrated will improve your reaction time, concentration and dexterity. In addition to drinking enough water before playing video games, you should consider taking snacks in between games to power the body up.
Although practicing is an important aspect when it comes to improving reaction time in video games, you should not overdo it. You need to do this sparingly to avoid stressing the body or worse still, burring out.
Improving reaction time requires much more than regular practice. As you have learned throughout this guide, you should practice using the right games. Additionally, it is important that you keep your body physically fit and assume the right posture whenever you are playing.
Similarly, it is important for you to invest in the right gaming equipment. Finally, you need to focus on improving your precision as well as response time whenever you are practicing. Provided you follow these steps, you will have an easy time improving your response time for gaming.