Asthma attacks can be very devastating to the sufferer, they make breathing very difficult or even impossible in some cases.
While there are several ways or helping the patient recover from such attacks, it is advisable to prevent the attacks from occurring.
Asthma attacks may be triggered by different things, including dry air and allergens. As such, the right humidifier will go a long way in preventing Asthma attacks (Source).
However, do now which is the right humidifier for asthmatics? The right humidifier will mostly depend on your preferences.
However, cool-mist humidifiers are known to have a soothing effect on asthma patients. Additionally, your preferred model should be of the right type and capacity.
You should also ensure that the humidifier has the features you need, such as a humidistat and purifier.
Best Humidifiers for Asthmatics 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Humidifiers for Asthmatics 2019
- 2 1. VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Humidifier – Best Overall
- 3 2. Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier – Most Quiet Operation
- 4 3. TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier – The Best Cool-Mist Humidifier for Asthmatics
- 5 4. Crane USA Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier – The Best Anti-Bacterial Humidifier
- 6 5. JZK International Air Humidifier – Most Affordable Humidifier for Asthmatics
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Choosing a Humidifier for Asthmatics
- 8 Our Final Review
|VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Humidifier|
|Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier|
|TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier|
|Crane USA Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier|
|JZK International Air Humidifier|
1. VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Humidifier – Best OverallLike most consumers across the globe, you probably are into unique gadgets and appliances. If so, you need to check out the VicTsing 300 ml Cool Mist Humidifier right away. With regards to design, this product really stands out. In this regard, the product features a calabash design with a wooden grain coating. To many users who have tried this product, it depicts a primitive and natural appeal.
In addition to aesthetics, this product delivers an impressive performance. No wonder it is one of the best selling humidifiers for asthmatics today. Although it is a portable unit, this humidifier offers a satisfactory capacity for home, yoga or office application. In this regard, the product is designed to hold up to 300 ml of water. With this amount of water, the unit is capable of producing about 30 ml of moisture every hour.
As you can imagine, the unit can run continually for about 10 hours before it requires you to refill the water reservoir. Once the water runs out, the humidifier will shut off automatically. Although it is a high-performance appliance, the VicTsing Humidifier is very quiet in operation. This may be attributed to Adopted ultrasonic technology by the manufacturer.
2. Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier – Most Quiet OperationThis Pure Enrichment Humidifier is loved for its portability, ease of use and efficiency. To begin with, the product features an appealing, compact and lightweight design. Regardless of its compact design, the product is powerful and is packed with an array of performance and convenience features.
The unit can hold up to 1.5 liters of water, which is really a lot for a portable humidifier. The product has been proven to produce moisture at the rate of 150 mm per hour. This being the case, you will find this unit ideal for preventing asthma attacks as well as other respiratory complications associated with dry air. While running on its lowest setting, the humidifier can run continuously for up to 16 hours.
3. TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier – The Best Cool-Mist Humidifier for AsthmaticsWhat are you looking for in your new humidifier? Is it a high capacity, quiet operation, efficiency or just the best cool-mist performance?
The TaoTronics has it all; this product is packed with almost all the features and capabilities any asthmatic will need. To begin with, the high-capacity unit can hold up to 4 liters of water and deliver up to 15 hours of uninterrupted, Ultra-Silent performance.
Depending on your preferences, this unit allows you to regulate moisture output. As such, the unit has a relative humidity setting. The unit features a 360-degree rotatable nozzle and is equipped with an interactive LED display.
4. Crane USA Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier – The Best Anti-Bacterial HumidifierGet Ultrasonic cool-mist humidification at its best with the Crane USA Filter-Free Humidifier. This humidifier is great at combating several health conditions, including nasal congestion itchy hair and skin, dry throat, chapped lips and nose bleeds. According to the Center for Disease Control, a relative humidity level of between 43 and 60 percent inhibits the movement of germs, such as flu virus. By allowing you to maintain the relative humidity within this range, this unit is a relief for asthma patients.
You will also love the design adopted by the manufacturer for this product. The stylish and lightweight humidifier will definitely complement any interior décor. The Antimicrobial Material incorporated at the base of this product combats bacterial and mold growth by up to 99.96 percent.
5. JZK International Air Humidifier – Most Affordable Humidifier for AsthmaticsIf you are after affordability and a fine blend of performance and portability, the JZK International Air Humidifier is the product of choice. Priced below $10, this unit has the features you need to elevate humidity levels for a small room at home or in your office. Since it is designed to be portable and versatile in application, the unit is equipped with two different plug-in choices; adapter and USB cable.
Although it is an affordable product, the JZK humidifier will give you a constant stream of mist all day and night. You will also love the fact that the product is backed by a lifetime guarantee by the manufacturer.
Things You Must Know Before Choosing a Humidifier for Asthmatics
Based on research findings by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, there are more than 30,000 Asthmatics in America today. While asthmatic attacks may be prevented, it is sad that about 4,000 Americans die of the condition each year.
If you or a member of your family is suffering from this condition, you need to ensure that there is a constant supply of clean, fresh and humid air in the house at all times. So, can humidifiers prevent asthmatic attacks?
Yes, with the right humidifier for asthmatics, you can prevent asthmatic attacks. Well, breathing dry and cool air can easily irritate nerves in the lungs. This, in turn, may lead to inflammation of the airways, which predisposes one to asthmatic attacks.
While humidifiers cannot remove all the asthma triggers from the air, the right unit will lower the probability of getting asthmatic attacks.
To ensure that you have bought the best humidifier for Asthmatics, here are some of the key considerations you should make:
1. The Type of Humidifier
The various humidifiers available today may be grouped into two broad categories; warm mist and cool mist humidifiers. The warm mist humidifiers are designed to heat water and evaporate it. The steam is them cooled to the preset temperature before releasing it into the house.
Such units are great at increasing the humidity content in the air you are breathing at a constant temperature. These are the best types of humidifiers for asthmatics today.
Cool mist humidifiers, on the other hand will heat eater to convert it to steam. The steam however is allowed to cool completely. As such, the humidity added into indoor air is at a comparatively low temperature.
While these are the main types of humidifiers, these products may be sub-divided into more categories, as discussed below:
- Evaporative Humidifiers – These feature a foam or cloth wick, on which moisture is retained. The air produced by the internal fan in these units is pushed through the wick, releasing cool mist into the air. Most of the evaporative humidifiers in the market are designed to self-regulate, hence do not need to have a humidistat.
- Impeller Humidifiers – Instead of a wick, these feature a diffuser for breaking up water molecules into a mist.
- Ultrasonic Humidifier – These humidifiers use high-frequency sound waves to break up water molecules to release mist into the air.
All these humidifiers use different mechanisms to produce humidity, but are all cool mist humidifiers. As opposed to such units, warm-mist humidifiers are equipped with a heating element. This element evaporates water and allows it to cool to form a mist, which is then released into indoor air.
While some medical practitioners recommend the use of warm-air humidifier for asthmatics, some asthmatics find them suffocating. As such, the choice of cool-mist or warm-mist humidifiers should be based on preferences. Get the type you are comfortable with.
2. Size and Capacity
Humidifiers are offered in various size and you need to choose the right size for your home. The right size will mainly depend on where you are installing the unit. If you are tight on space, you may have to settle for the relatively smaller humidifier models.
However, this decision should not just be made based on how big or small the unit is physically. You have to worry about its capacity as well. In other words, how much space can the unit cover?
Would you like to have a single humidifier for the entire house or are looking for a portable unit for different rooms in the house? Most of the portable/table-top humidifier models available today are suitable for small spaces. They are also a great choice if you travel a lot and would like to carry a humidifier with you when you travel.
There are some whole house humidifiers that are known to be very effective at serving all the rooms in your home simultaneously. These are comparatively costlier to buy and install and will often require more installation space. However, they are very convenient and efficient at what they are meant to do.
3. Additional Features
Whether you are buying a warm-mist or cool-mist humidifier, different models today come with an array of features. Different humidifier features are designed to make these units easier to use, more convenient and efficient.
What features to have or not have in your unit will mainly depend on your personal preferences. These are some of the features you should consider, though:
- Humidistat – The ideal relative humidity for asthmatics is between 45 and 50 percent. It helps to know the current relative humidity in the house at any given time. As such, humidifier with a humidistat will come in handy.
- Air Purifier – To keep the air in your home clean and free of allergens, you need to clean and vacuum the surfaces regularly. Even so, a purifier will be a great addition, don’t you think? With a purifier in your humidifier, you will get allergen-free air at with the right amount of humidity in your house.
- Germ Fighting Capabilities – Respiratory infections can have a devastating effect on an asthmatic. For additional protection, you should consider buying a germ-fighting humidifier.
Our Final Review
Just as is the case with any other home appliance today, you need to choose your humidifiers carefully. This is particularly the case if you have an asthmatic person living in your house.
In this regard, you need to consider such aspects as the humidifier type, size, and capacity as well as the essential features. Even with such considerations, you will still have hundreds of units to choose from in the market today.
While some people prefer warm-mist humidifiers, any knowledgeable therapist will tell you that cool-mist humidifiers are the best for asthmatics.
Regardless of the qualities and features you are looking for in a humidifier, this guide will help you buy the best humidifier for asthmatics.