Ultrasound therapy machines are devices that are designed to produce ultrasound waves for the treatment of various musculoskeletal conditions.
This technology has been proven to treat such conditions as tendinitis, muscle sprains, tissue inflammation, bursitis and tendinitis.
Owing to its effectiveness in treating such condition, many patients are buying portable ultrasound therapy devices for use at home (Source).
However, choosing the right device may prove to be a daunting task for beginners. While shopping for the best home ultrasound therapy device, it helps to know what you should consider.
To make this decision, you will need to consider such aspects as the frequency, adjustability, Effective Radiating Area (ERA) and Beam Nonuniformity Ratio (BNR) of the machine. Reviewed below are some of the top rated home ultrasound therapy machines available today.
Best Home Ultrasound Therapy Machines 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Home Ultrasound Therapy Machines 2019
- 2 1. TENS 7000 2nd Edition Digital TENS Unit – Best Overall
- 3 2. Santamedical Electronic Tens Unit Handheld Pain Relief Pulse Massager – Most Lightweight Machine
- 4 3. TENS Electronic Pulse Unit & 4 Electrode Pads, Model # PL-009 – Most Affordable
- 5 4. Omron Pain Relief TENS Unit (PM3030) – Most Portable
- 6 5. Omron Pain Relief Pro – Easy To Read LCD Display
- 7 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Ultrasound Therapy Machine
- 8 Our Final Review
|TENS 7000 2nd Edition Digital TENS Unit|
|Santamedical Electronic Tens Unit Handheld Pain Relief Pulse Massager|
|TENS Electronic Pulse Unit & 4 Electrode Pads, Model # PL-009|
|Omron Pain Relief TENS Unit (PM3030)|
|Omron Pain Relief Pro|
1. TENS 7000 2nd Edition Digital TENS Unit – Best OverallYou may think of the Tens 7000 2nd Edition Digital Unit as one of the most versatile ultrasound therapy machines you can buy today. No wander it is suitable for almost any ultrasound therapy application. For many of its users, this product is a great drug-free pain remedy that is both effective and reliable. The product has been proven to relieve pain associated with neck, knee, shoulder, foot and leg injuries. This may be attributed to the many features offered by this unit.
The product is powered by a 9V battery and offers several treatment therapy modes. With this product, you can choose to use any of its six treatment modes, including Normal, Modulating pulse massager, burst, and 2 strength duration modes. As such, you only need to select the right mode, in accordance to your treatment requirements.
To adjust the intensity of the ultrasound waves produced by the machine, you should use the two, conveniently positioned control knobs on the unit. The easy-to-use product comes complete with everything you will need for ultrasound therapy treatment.
With every purchase of the TENS 7000, you will also get one 4-pack of reusable electrodes, 2 lead wires, one 9V battery, hard carry case and an instruction manual. Having been designed to offer enhanced ease of use, this product is best suited for professionals as well as patients at home.
2. Santamedical Electronic Tens Unit Handheld Pain Relief Pulse Massager – Most Lightweight MachineLike many other patients, you may be looking for a portable ultrasound therapy machine. In such a case, you should consider getting a lightweight model like the Santamedical Electronic Tens Handheld Pain Relief Pulse Massager. Weighing just 5.3 ounces, you will not have to be confined in one place for you to get the pain-relieving benefits of an ultrasound therapy machine.
You will find the product light enough to carry along with you anywhere you go. Versatility is another aspect you will love about this product. With a total of 8 therapy modes, the product is ideal for treating a wide range of conditions. The product features Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) technology by the manufacturer. This technology has been proven to be effective by the leading medical professionals and physical therapists.
You will also find the product relatively easy to use. As a matter of fact, you do not need to be a therapist or medical practitioner to use this machine. In this regard, the product comes with an illustrative user manual to help you get started. The drug-free pain relieving benefit of this unit has also been proven to be effective by the FDA.
3. TENS Electronic Pulse Unit & 4 Electrode Pads, Model # PL-009 – Most AffordableIf you are working on a limited budget, you should get the affordable; yet effective ultrasound therapy devices in the market. One such product is the TENs Electronic Pulse Unit Model PL-009. Not only is this unit affordable to buy, it will also help you avoid buying pain medications every now and then. This will, in turn, help you save money in the long term. Regardless of being an affordable model, the product is packed with an array of efficiency and versatility features.
The fact that the product is adjustable makes it ideal for treating mild to acute pain as well as muscle soreness and stiffness. For enhanced versatility, the product features completely independent channel controls. As such, you will be able to use one or both sides of the unit at once. This will, in turn, allow you to treat two different body parts at once.
You will also find the product compact and lightweight. This makes it easy to carry around whenever you are traveling. Finally, the product comes with all the accessories you will need for ultrasound therapy treatment.
4. Omron Pain Relief TENS Unit (PM3030) – Most PortableHere is another ultrasound therapy machine that has been proven to by the FDA to be effective at relieving pain. The product functions by triggering the secretion of endorphins, enhancing blood circulation and blocking the transmission of pain stimuli in your body.
Many of its users are evidently pleased with the compact and lightweight design of this device. The product is also a bit versatile; featuring 3 preset therapy modes to suite different treatment requirements. The pads that come with this product are relatively durable, and may be used up to 150 times.
5. Omron Pain Relief Pro – Easy To Read LCD DisplayLike the other products reviewed in this guide, the Omron Pain Relief Pro is manufactured by a reputable manufacturer and is effective at relieving pain. In this regard, the product has been certified by FDA as safe and effective for use at home.
The product is equipped with an easy to read LCD display and large buttons. This makes the product relatively easy to calibrate and use. With regards to versatility, the machine offers 10 intensity levels and a total of 8 preset therapy modes. Such features make the Pain Relief Pro one of the most versatile ultrasound therapy devices in the market.
Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Ultrasound Therapy Machine
Over the years, ultrasound waves have been applied in medicine in various ways. The commonest use of ultrasound in medicine is imaging. Owing to technological advancements, these waves have also been used to treat an array of musculoskeletal conditions.
In this regard, the best home ultrasound therapy machines have been designed to produce different frequencies for different applications.
Most of the devices that are designed for use in physical therapy and athletic training emit ultrasound waves at frequencies of between 800 kHz and 3 MH.
While this is the case, not all the ultrasound devices available today are suited for ultrasound therapy at home. In order to choose the right product, there are several things that you should consider, some of which are discussed below.
1. Effective Radiating Area and Beam Nonuniformity Ratio
The two terms are essentially used to express the quality and size of ultrasound produced by the device. Since you are shopping for a home ultrasound therapy machine, chances are that you are not a professional in the field. As such, the two terms may be a little confusing for you.
The Effective Radiating area (ERA) of an ultrasound therapy device refers to the area on your skin that will receive at least 5 percent of peak energy produced by the machine. In most cases, the ERA of any machine will be a bit smaller than the sound head. However, the difference in size should not be very big.
As you may know, the beam of energy produced by these devices is never uniform. Instead, the beam of sound energy will have some areas of low intensity and areas of high intensity. Beam nonuniformity ratio (BNR) is used to express this distribution of waves.
In this regard, the BNR is a ratio of the average beam intensity across the ERA to the peak intensity of the beam. Basically, the higher the BNR in a ultra therapy machine, the more uniform the intensity of the sound wave is.
2. Ultrasound Frequency
As you may have noticed, not all the portable ultrasound therapy units produce waves of the same frequency. This is why you need to be more careful and choose one that is best suited for your application.
Most of the products available today have a frequency range of between 1 MHz and 3 MHz. however; some of the leading brands can produce higher frequencies. So, why is this important?
Basically, the amount of acoustic energy from the machine that will be absorbed by your tissues will depend on several aspects, including the frequency. While this will depend on several other factors, ultrasound waves at a higher frequency will be absorbed more rapidly than waves at a lower frequency.
For enhanced versatility, it is advisable to buy a model with variable frequency settings. Such a unit will allow you to alter the frequency of ultrasound produced depending on your requirements.
Ultrasound therapy treatment requirements vary from one patient to another. To reap the best from this remedy, it is advisable to buy a machine that is adjustable. The leading home ultrasound device brands today offer several adjustable parameters in their units.
For instance, some of the products will allow you to alter the amplitude of the ultrasound waves. This, in turn, helps you to regulate the amount of energy produced at the sound head of the unit. Some of the best home ultrasound therapy machines will also allow you to alter the duty cycle.
With an adjustable machine, you can easily alter several treatment parameters in accordance to the desired effect.
Our Final Review
Managing the pain associated with some conditions like arthritis or even the pain associated with injuries can be challenging. This is particularly the case when you are using the wrong pain management strategy.
The best ultrasound therapy devices available today have been proven to be effective at combating pain without the need for OTC medications.
As you have learnt in this guide, not just any ultrasound therapy machine is ideal for drug-free pain treatment. With the various considerations and reviews in this guide, you should have no problem choosing the best home ultrasound therapy machine.