If you’re looking for the best handheld sewing machines to carry around in case you need to sew nylon, polyester or any type of fabric, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ll be taking a look at the attributes of top rated handheld sewing machines that you can possibly find.
You might feel like a portable sewing machine could be compared to any regular sewing machine, but keep in mind they’re used differently. To start things off, a handheld sewing machine might not be as powerful, but it’s quite easier to carry around.
They’re usually very good to have if you’re one of those who tends to travel a lot – they don’t take much space and need no electricity to function (Source).
Before we go on, let’s first break down the best features of the top handheld sewing machines available of you to purchase in an instant.
Best Handheld Sewing Machines 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Handheld Sewing Machines 2019
- 2 1. Royalsell Handheld Sewing Machine – Best Overall
- 3 2. Janome Handheld Sewing Machine – Best For Beginners
- 4 3. Uten Portable Sewing Machine, Heavy Duty Embroidery – Best for Thick Fabric
- 5 4. DIY Leather Craft Tool Art Needle Sewing Machine – Best High End
- 6 5. Dyno Merchandise SINGER Stitch Sew Quick, Portable Sewing Machine – Best Budget
- 7 What to Consider Before Purchasing a Handheld Sewing Machine
- 8 Our Final Take
|Royalsell Handheld Sewing Machine|
Doesn’t weigh much
Uses AA Batteries
Very effective and quick
|Janome Handheld Sewing Machine|
Easy to carry around
Can sew almost any type of fabric
Can be used by almost any family member
|Uten Portable Sewing Machine, Heavy Duty Embroidery|
Small and easy to carry around
|DIY Leather Craft Tool Art Needle Sewing Machine|
Can stitch very tricky surfaces, such as car roofs
Good option to repair leather products
|Dyno Merchandise SINGER Stitch Sew Quick, Portable Sewing Machine|
Includes everything in the package except batteries
Does well when sewing thin fabrics
1. Royalsell Handheld Sewing Machine – Best OverallThis easy-to-carry sewing machine offers almost everything a traveler needs in order to quickly fix any issues with fabric. It can easily sew inconvenient tears and stich quicker than other low-quality products found online.
Although the package doesn’t include a set of AA batteries, purchasing a couple of pairs of these is enough to make the product function. The sewing machine doesn’t drain the batteries quickly either, so replacing them isn’t something to worry about in the short term.
Amateur sewers shouldn’t have any difficulty using these. They’re pretty straightforward to operate and they do the job as intended. All you need is to be precise with your stitches and any fabric should be repaired fairly quickly. It isn’t an ultra-potent device, but it’s ideal for on-the-go sews.
It might not be as efficient as a regular sewing machine, but it certainly gets most easy jobs done without any hassle.
2. Janome Handheld Sewing Machine – Best For BeginnersIf you’re in need of a sturdy sewing machine to carry around, Janome’s product could be what you’re looking for. This portable sewing machine is conveniently easy to use by most people.
One of the best things about this product is that the package comes with everything included. This sewing machine even comes with a small package of batteries – you don’t even need to worry about going to the store to buy them.
The accessories are very durable as well; replacing the small tools could be quite difficult, but since they rarely break, it really isn’t a problem. The needle is good enough to pierce fabric and it shouldn’t wear down too quickly.
This handheld sewing machine is capable of stitching together almost any type of fabric. This includes very thick ones like jeans, and even very thin ones like delicate silk. Its design is nothing too shabby either!
3. Uten Portable Sewing Machine, Heavy Duty Embroidery – Best for Thick FabricThis very well-designed portable sewing machine is capable of repairing most thick fabrics around a normal person’s house. In fact, it is specifically designed to do just that – it might not do such a good job on thin fabrics such as polyester or silk. Sturdy fabrics can be easily stitched with this tool, including leather or even rough car ceilings.
It comes with a couple of needles with different shapes. The user can choose which of these accessories better suits their needs and change them without any fuss. In fact, this could very well be one of the best handheld sewing machines when it comes to its ability to quickly swap between needles.
If you own a decent amount of leather products, owning one of these portable sewing machines might be ideal even if you’re not a traveler. This could be kept around the house for any emergency tear – they’ll allow you to “do it yourself” when it comes to repairing gear.
The product is very well designed. It has a strong wooden grip and a metallic needle holder. It also comes with a special waxed thread which should hold together the thickest of fabrics.
4. DIY Leather Craft Tool Art Needle Sewing Machine – Best High EndThe DIY Leather Craft Tool by Co-link is one of the best portable sewing machines when it comes to leather sewing. Its quality is almost equivalent to World 9.99’s product, and the design is also very similar and visually pleasing.
It comes with a wooden handle, which is actually very comfortable to use and provides the user with a sturdy grip. The steel needle is great for carving and ideal for leather sewing. The overall design of the product is very good and feels well made – definitely an important characteristic for those who need to use these tools in public.
There is something particular about this product which expert sewers can be very grateful for: Its mechanism is very simple and similar to the one of traditional sewing machines. This makes the product very efficient without needing any additional features.
The product’s needle is very good and can easily pierce fabric without getting stuck. This makes sewing with this handheld sewing machine a very straightforward process.
One of its main issues is that the instructions aren’t very clear. Once you properly set it up though, you should be able to easily sew any sort of heavy fabric without any issues.
5. Dyno Merchandise SINGER Stitch Sew Quick, Portable Sewing Machine – Best BudgetThis small portable sewing machine is a must-have for those in need of sewing thin fabric. It isn’t well-suited to deal with heavy fabric like jeans, but it’ll do wonders for the likes of polyester and cotton clothing. This might work on leather as well, but it needs to be thin or the needle could get stuck.
It has a simple design, similar to that of the first two products we reviewed on this list. The SINGER machine also comes with everything you need to have at the moment of using it, except batteries. Anything else comes included within the package – including three different thread lines.
Conveniently enough, this device also comes with power device compatibility. This means that if you have a power adapter you’ll be able to plug it and use it in an instant.
What to Consider Before Purchasing a Handheld Sewing Machine
There are certain characteristics that play an important part on the quality of a handheld sewing machine. Taking all of these into consideration before making your purchase will help you rest assured that you’ve made the right decision.
The quality of a sewing machine’s needle usually determines how well it’ll be able to sew. This is true for smaller, handheld sewing machines as well. You should always check the quality of a product’s needle before purchasing it, as this feature is often heavily correlated to its performance.
Some portable sewing machines are incapable of working with certain types of fabric. It is important for you to consider which type of fabric you usually need to mend before making your purchase.
Once you know the type of fabric, all you need to do is buy the portable sewing machine that better suits your needs!
The grip on these machines has a couple of different benefits. To start things off, a proper grip makes using the sewing machine very comfortable. This is widely beneficial if you need to stitch up some fabric for prolonged periods of time.
A proper grip also helps you to keep the sewing machine stable when sewing, so the stitches will look better once everything’s done.
Given that a handheld sewing machine’s main selling point is how portable it is, this feature should be on top of your priority list when you shop for one. Portability is often dictated by the product’s size; a small device is easier to carry around, but might be harder to use.
Keep in mind that you should try to find a product that doesn’t trade good effectiveness for better portability. A handheld sewing machine should be easy to carry as well as easy to use.
Not every single portable sewing machine allows true precision when using it. If your device isn’t precise, you’ll end up with a bunch of useless stitches which you’ll have to redo sooner rather than later. Save yourself the trouble and make sure that your sewing machine is easy to direct when in use.
There are a couple of things that you should keep in mind when it comes to a handheld device’s power. The first one is the type of power that it requires (most of them use AA batteries) and the second one is if the device allows you to use a power adapter.
If you’re going to stay in a single place while traveling, you might want to consider purchasing the device with power-adapter connectivity.
Our Final Take
Make sure to carefully decide which features are of most important to you before purchasing a handheld sewing machine. Some machines are better for thick fabric clothes and equipment, while others do a better job with lighter clothing and less thick fabrics such as cotton, polyester or silk.
We’ve shown you which are the best handheld sewing machines and broke down their features so you can choose which one better adapts to your needs. Some of them are very easy to use, but remember: keep your focus while sewing or you might end up harming yourself!
Let us know which of these products catches your eye and why in the comment section below!