The craft of woodturning is similar to using a potter’s wheel. With precision, you can take a simple piece of wood and form it into your desired outcome.
What is a lathe? A wood lathe is a machine that can transform any variety of wood into different shapes. You begin by attaching a piece of wood to a spinning arm. Then, by using chisels and other tools, you add shape and texture to the piece of wood as it spins.
The Grizzly G0766 is a heavy-duty, floor-standing turning wood lathe. It’s the perfect option for serious woodworkers who want to create furniture or any other large diameter pieces.
Below is a detailed review of the Grizzly G0766. This will be a helpful tool in determining if this machine is right for you.
Grizzly G0766 Specs
Table of Contents
Grizzly G0766 has the following specifications:
- Weight (lb.): 584
- Motor: 3 HP, 220V, 3-phase
- Swing over bed (in.): 22
- Swing over tool rest (in.): 16
- Distance between centers (in.): 42
- Variable speed (RPM): 100 – 3200
- Tool rest width (in.) 14
- Dimensions (in.): 81 x 49-1/2 x 23″
- Warranty (mos.): 12
Grizzly’s Models Available
Here we have compared some of the alternatives of the Grizzly G0766.
This review specifically takes a look at the Grizzly G0766 wood lathe. Therefore, we will focus on all of the features of this machine in detail.
Grizzly G0766 Features
This powerful wood lathe is perfect for turning bowls, spindles, bracelets, vases, boxes, and anything else you can imagine.
Let’s take a look at a few of its key features.
- Swing Over Bed: The swing over bed is the maximum size that can be mounted without hitting the bed. The Grizzly G0766 has a 22” swing, allowing for a large diameter piece of wood.
- Heavy-Duty Cast-Iron Bed: This machine has a very rigid and stable bed and stand. The heaviness of this machine reduces vibration that may occur during operation.
- Sliding Headstock – This feature provides an advantage over permanently fixed headstocks. It allows you to work with your tool handles away from the bed. It also gives you the freedom to position the workpiece at different angles.
Furthermore, it gives you the ability to move the headstock anywhere along the bed. This provides a wide range of control and flexibility for any project size.
What Makes the Grizzly G0766 So Awesome
The Grizzly G0766 is one of the best values on the market for a large wood lathe.
The following is an abbreviated list of the qualities that make it such a great machine.
- Variable Speed Control – This lathe features two-speed ranges with digital readout: low 100 – 1200 RPM and high 100 – 3200 RPM. Just turn the dial to switch the belts from low to high. It provides optimal flexibility for woodturning projects.
- Powerful Motor – The Grizzly G0766 boasts a powerful 3 HP motor that won’t stall even while working heavy-duty projects. The reverse speed option is a plus.
- Indexed Spindle – This feature makes it easy to remove and switch between different types of chucks.
How to Use the Grizzly G0766
Read the Grizzly G0766 manual to ensure you have a proper understanding of how to set up the machine before using it. After assembling the lathe, a test run is the next logical step.
Begin by clearing away tools from the machine and connecting the power supply to a 220v outlet.
Set the spindle direction to the “0” position. Then, turn the speed control knob all the way counterclockwise.
Next, you will squeeze the tab on the Emergency Stop button and lift it to open the switch cover. Then, press the green ON button. Now, your machine is powered on.
Turn the spindle direction switch to the “R” position, and continue to slowly turn the speed control knob to the right.
You should not hear any noise or experience little or no vibration at all.
You will continue by turning the spindle direction switch to “L” and slowly turning the speed control knob to the right.
These steps ensure that the machine is balanced and no parts are rubbing against anything.
Lastly, test the machine to make sure the device does not start when the Emergency Stop button is pushed in. You can do this by turning the spindle to “R” or “L.” The machine should not power on when the button is pushed in.
Please Note: Basic eye and hearing protection, as well as respiratory masks, help reduce the risk of physical harm associated with the use of the machine.
Now, you are ready to operate your Grizzly G0766 wood lathe. Please watch the following video for unboxing and set-up assistance.
User Feedback & Reviews: What People Said About Grizzly G0766
Customer feedback is an excellent resource in choosing the right lathe for you. Here are a few positive and negative responses from users.
- Most Common Complaints
- Heavy: Although this machine is well-constructed, customers have noted that it is almost impossible to move without the addition of wheels. Others mention that anchoring it to the floor assists in turning blocks of wood that are not balanced.
- Challenging to assemble: Pieces are “beast-like.” It requires more than one person to assemble. However, no adjustments or calibrations are needed after assembly. It is typically ready to use within one to two hours.
- Special Electrical Outlet: It uses a non-standard 220v, single-phase, 20A outlet. It must be grounded. This machine comes with a very short power cord. Quality extension cords are expensive.
- Legs are too High: To accommodate an average height person, some customers have shortened the legs or built a platform to stand on. Those over 6’ seem to have no issues with the center being positioned at a comfortable height.
- Most Common Praises
- Best Deal for the Price: This is a powerful wood lathe with as much swing over the bed as lathes that cost thousands more. It’s a medium-class machine with commercial quality.
- Excellent Customer Service: Fast and friendly customer care and technical service.
- Quiet and Smooth Operation: The Grizzly G0766 is constructed from cast iron to reduce the number of vibrations produced during use. Smooth, stable. powerful and consistent. (Motor inverter makes a whistling sound at speeds below 1000 RPM.)
How Much Does the G0766 Cost?
The Grizzly G0766 is an economical choice for woodturners who want professional quality at an affordable price.
This wood lathe is listed at around $2,500 and is comparable to similar commercial products that run between $6,000 – $10,000.
Grizzly machines have an excellent reputation and have been well-loved for over 30 years.
Why Buy the Grizzly G0766?
Whether you are a hobbyist or a semi-professional woodturner, you will find that this is a quality, affordable machine. The Grizzly G0766 makes it easy to rough-out big projects at any speed.
If you are only an occasional lathe user, then a basic, more inexpensive model may be a better choice for you. While this is a higher-end lathe, the convenient price allows you to experiment with a quick and efficient machine.
The Grizzly G0766 is an easy-to-use wood lathe, capable of handling a variety of projects.
Buying a wood lathe is an expensive investment. Decide what you want to accomplish and determine if a lower end machine means you will be replacing it in a few years.