If you work with construction equipment or on a farm, you probably already know how tough it is to find wrenches that fit well with hydraulic cylinders. A nut wrench of this type is often designed to fit into nuts ranging from two to six inches.
Using these specialized wrenches give you a way better chance of adjusting hydraulic cylinders than you’d have if you used other non-specialized tools.
These gland nut wrenches can also be reversed and comfortably fit in pinholes ranging from ¼ to 7/32 inches. Finding the best quality gland nut wrench to suit your needs might be a bit tricky; but fear not, we’re here to help!
We’ll be taking a look at the best gland nut wrenches that you can find online. Let’s start by quickly overviewing all of them so you can get a better idea of what’s to come in this article.
What Is A Gland Nut Wrench?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Gland Nut Wrench?
- 2 How Much Does A Gland Nut Wrench Cost?
- 3 Comparing The Best Gland Nut Wrenches
- 4 1. OTC 1266 Adjustable Gland Nut Wrench – Best Overall
- 5 2. OTC 7463 Small Universal Gland Wrench – Best Small Wrench
- 6 3. AMPRO T70567 Adjustable GL and Nut Wrench – Best on Budget
- 7 4. AMPRO T70566 GL and Nut Wrench – Best Wrench for Tractors
- 8 5. CTA Tools 8605 Large Adjustable Gland Nut Wrench – Best for Heavy Machinery
- 9 Things To Understand Before Purchasing a Gland Nut Wrench
- 10 How To Use A Gland Nut Wrench
- 11 Ready To Buy The Best Gland Nut Wrenches?
This is a heavy-duty tool for adjusting hydraulic cylinders on vehicles and machinery. Gland nuts on farm and construction equipment are often affected by the elements.
Rain, snow, and humidity can cause hydraulic cylinder gland nuts to rust. Once corrosion has formed, they can become practically immovable.
This tool is different from a cylinder spanner wrench, which is unable to pack the punch of a hydraulic cylinder gland nut wrench.
A hydraulic cylinder gland wrench can loosen and tighten nuts that seal reciprocating shafts. They are adjustable and some can be customized to fit gland nuts as large as two and six-inches in diameter. An adjustable gland nut wrench can also be reversed to fit 1/4 inch to 21/64-inch pin holes.
How Much Does A Gland Nut Wrench Cost?
Adjustable nut wrenches vary in price according to their size, quality and tool name brand. Because it is a specialized tool, it is not typically accessible at local hardware stores or chains. Hydraulic cylinder wrenches can be purchased from online retailers.
Gland nut removal tools range in price from $20 to $90. The wrenches with the higher price point are generally made from better materials and are more durable.
More inexpensive wrenches do not offer a variety of size adjustment options. The lower price also means lesser craftsmanship that has gone into making the tool.
Comparing The Best Gland Nut Wrenches
|OTC 1266 Adjustable Gland Nut Wrench|
|OTC 7463 Small Universal Gland Wrench|
|AMPRO T70567 Adjustable GL and Nut Wrench|
|AMPRO T70566 GL and Nut Wrench|
|CTA Tools 8605 Large Adjustable Gland Nut Wrench|
1. OTC 1266 Adjustable Gland Nut Wrench – Best OverallAlright, before we begin, let’s get one thing out of the way: OTC is definitely one of the best gland nut wrench manufacturers in the United States. They offer some of the best tools for you to use on hydraulic cylinders and heavy equipment. With that said, their products aren’t flawless, but they’re surely some of the best in the market.
The 1266 Adjustable Gland Nut Wrench doesn’t only manage to do its job – it excels at it. As long as you respect the product’s recommended measurements, it will suit any type of gland nut, including hydraulic cylinder gland nuts. Most importantly, the OTC1266 gland nut wrench won’t move by any means – it’ll stay strongly gripped to the gland nuts. Its fit is customizable and can take anything from 2 to 6-inch gland nuts.
Out of all the products that we’ll be reviewing today, the 1266 is the most expensive of them all. The thing is that it is worth the money that you have to pay for it – it’s one of the best adjustable gland nut wrenches in the market.
2. OTC 7463 Small Universal Gland Wrench – Best Small WrenchThis tool is actually very good, but it does have some small issues with its pins. They might get loose from time to time, so we recommend that you tighten them before using the wrench. Once you manage to fit them properly, you’re likely going to be very pleased with this OTC tool.
There’s something else that you might want to keep in mind before purchasing this tool. This gland nut wrench is ideally made for smaller hydraulic cylinders. If you intend to use your newly purchased gland nut wrench with larger equipment, you might want to take a look at the last product we reviewed.
In any case, as long as you stick to using this tool with smaller heavy machinery, you’re almost guaranteed to be happy with your purchase. The wrench is very effective and does its job very well – as you would expect from any OTC tool.
3. AMPRO T70567 Adjustable GL and Nut Wrench – Best on BudgetThe fully-adjustable T70567 gives owners the ability to work with almost any type of heavy machinery, be it small or big. Its quality isn’t as good as the one offered by OTC and their products, but it definitely fits into the category of one of the best gland nut wrenches on the market.
The product is solid enough and shouldn’t break down quickly. However, there could be some issues with the tool properly gripping to small gland nuts. If you want this product to work as intended, you should stick with the recommended measures as instructed by the manufacturer.
Given its quality, the price is actually very good. This gland nut tool offers incredibly good value for money – although it isn’t as good as other tools, it’s still incredibly cheap considering how much of a viable alternative it is. The pins don’t come off easily either – it can withstand a bunch of pressure.
4. AMPRO T70566 GL and Nut Wrench – Best Wrench for TractorsThis gland nut wrench will do an incredible job if you intend to use it in tractor assembling or disassembling. It’s very useful for removing or installing packing glands on heavy equipment, especially on tractors and heavy machinery.
To use the tool at the best of its capabilities, it might be best if you retorque the screws before applying any pressure to the gland nut wrench. They tend to be a bit loose at first, which can render the tool useless.
If you don’t adjust the screw, they are very likely to come off. These pinning issues seem to be a problem with a lot of nut wrenches, so don’t let that inconvenience deter your form buying them. The issue is easily fixed.
Caps from heavy equipment might be incredibly tight at times, but this nut wrench definitely does an amazing job getting them loose. The T70566 is also a very good budget option for general hydraulic cylinder repairs. It’s suited to swiftly service heavy equipment, allowing the owner to save a lot of time while doing it.
5. CTA Tools 8605 Large Adjustable Gland Nut Wrench – Best for Heavy MachineryCTA’s 8605 Nut Wrench is tailor-made for those workers who need to tweak cylinders on heavy machinery. It’s very large and can be used comfortably without fearing that it breaks, thanks to its very durable build. If you own a heavy vehicle with 2 to 6-inch nut wrenches, this tool might be exactly what you’re looking for.
Just like it tends to happen with many of these gland nut wrenches, it has a few issues with its pins. You might even need to get replacement pins if the ones that come with this tool give you a bit of trouble! The tool itself is incredibly reliable, but CTA needs to up their game a bit – getting new pins can be bothersome if you need to get your work done ASAP.
If you’re going to order the tool online though, just make sure to get additional pins with your purchase so everything gets deliver together to your door. That way you can get to work as soon as you receive your order, and if the original pins bother you, replacing them will only take an instant.
In any case, this tool can take a lot of pressure. It’s ideal to rebuild most types of heavy cylinders in trucks and tractors used in farms or construction sites (as long as they’re within the recommended size provided by the manufacturer).
Things To Understand Before Purchasing a Gland Nut Wrench
As you may have noticed already, getting the tool which most ideally suits your needs might not be as straightforward as you thought. Some people tend to regret their purchases after trying their new gland nut wrench for the first time, while other end up as happy as possible.
If you’d like to be one of these pleased buyers, make sure to keep all of the following features in mind before making your purchase.
When we talk about size, we are referring both to the size of the gland nut wrench itself and the size of the equipment that you intend to repair. Be sure that the tool has a decent enough size for you to work on your equipment.
A huge wrench doesn’t always do the deal – buy a smaller wrench if you intend to use it on not-so-large equipment.
As you might’ve noticed, these gland nut socket wrenches tend to have a lot of issues with the pin quality. In some cases, these pins come off very easily. This renders the durability of the wrench itself pretty worthless, as losing the pins turns the tool into unusable metal.
If you want to avoid unnecessary inconveniences, buy additional pins when you purchase a wrench.
Pinhole fitting – reversibility
Most of these tools can be reversed to fit on differently-sized pinholes. This is a big benefit offered by the vast majority of these tools, which does wonders when working with heavy equipment. All of the gland nut wrenches that we reviewed today can be reversed – if you were hunting for this feature, feel free to get the one you like the most from this list!
Imagine being in the middle of repairing a hydraulic cylinder when your wrench suddenly breaks on its own… Not so much of a pleasing scenario, right? Make sure to get a very durable and well-crafted tool from a trusted manufacturer to avoid any issues of these sorts.
Taking warranty into account
If you feel insecure about the quality of a product or its pins, you might want to take a look at those manufacturers who offer warranties. If any issue presents itself, you’ll be able to easily resolve it and the manufacturer will surely take full responsibility for it.
How To Use A Gland Nut Wrench
An adjustable gland nut wrench is only part of a tool because it doesn’t have a handle. Before use, attach the head to a ratchet handle with four-sided fastener heads. Then, identify the gland nut you will be loosening or tightening.
Adjust the wrench to fit the nut and then twist until you have achieved your desired result.
Ready To Buy The Best Gland Nut Wrenches?
If you’ve made it this far, you’re more than ready to purchase your first gland nut wrench. If you’re unsure on how to use them, fear not.
There are plenty of video tutorials online that’ll easily guide you through the process of setting up a hydraulic cylinder for repairs with a gland nut wrench.
You should consider everything we’ve told you about the most important features that a gland nut wrench set should have. We’re sure you’ll be able to purchase the best tool with little margin of error!
You can also check out these top-rated split beam torque wrenches to expand your options. What are the best features that a gland nut wrench can have, according to your needs?
Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below!