Drive smarter with the Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S. From easy-to-follow directions to helpful driver alerts, this GPS is packed with innovative features.
With built-in Wi-Fi, you can access live traffic information. Users can make hands-free calls with voice activation.
The Garmin DriveSmart is equipped with a 6.95-inch glass display. The display reaches edge to edge, allowing you to glance at your directions on a bright, clear screen.
You can connect multiple compatible Garmin devices making your DriveSmart work even harder. Continue reading to learn amazing features, specs, and cost information.
Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S Specs
Always read the owner’s manual prior to using a new device.
- Dimensions: 8”W x 3.9”H x 0.7”D
- Display Size: 6.95” diag 0″W x 3.5″H
- Display Resolution: 1024 x 600 pixels
- Display Type: Multi-touch, glass, WSVGA color TFT with white backlight
- Battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery Life: Up to 1 hour
Garmin DriveSmart Compatible Accessories
With so many phone GPS options, you may wonder why you need a separate GPS. Garmin’s suite of accessories makes the DriveSmart a must for those that spend hours in their cars.
Here are a couple of our favorite options:
Backup Cameras: Pair Garmin DriveSMart with the BC™ 30 Wireless Backup Camera (sold separately). Once connected, you can easily see vehicles, pedestrians, and other obstacles right on the Garmin DriveSmart display. This is shown when you put your car in reverse.
Garmin Smartwatch: Link your Garmin Smartwatch (sold separately) and access turn-by-turn navigation right on your wrist. Even walking away from your car you will still receive directions. Bonus! Your watch will remind you where you parked your car.
Garmin DriveSmart Features
The easy to use Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S GPS is full of standout features that make it so great. Let’s dig into the details that make this a must-have device.
- Up-to-Date Maps: Garmin keeps your maps up to date across North America will frequent updates.
- Large Screen: The 6.95” color display offers a touch screen. Enter your destinations with ease and even zoom in.
- Lane Assistance: Brightly colored arrows keep you informed on which lane to be in prior to making a turn or reaching an exit.
- Custom Routes: With the Garmin DriveSmart you can set up three alternate routes.
- USB Connection: Connect your Garmin to your computer or smartphone to easily access real-time traffic, map updates, and much more!
- Bluetooth-enabled: Pair your compatible devices and enjoy hands-free calling in your vehicle.
- Safety Features: The DriveSmart is full of safety-conscious features that help keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel.
Setting Up Your Garmin DriveSmart
Before setting up your new GPS be sure to read the owner’s manual. For optimal performance fully charge the battery prior to use.
What Comes in the Box:
- Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S
- Vehicle suction cup mount
- Vehicle power cable
- USB cable
- Quick start manual
Acquiring a GPS Signal: The first time you power on your Garmin, it may take a few minutes to acquire satellite signals. For the quickest setup, it’s best to have a clear view of the sky. If you haven’t used your navigation device for a while, it could take a few extra minutes to reconnect to the satellite.
Using Garmin’s Real Directions: Following directions has never been easier with Real Directions from Garmin. With easy-to-understand directions that use recognizable landmarks, you can avoid searching for hidden street signs.
Social Integration: The Garmin DriveSmart includes TripAdvisor and Foursquare points of interest and ratings. When you search for destinations, TripAdvisor ratings will automatically appear. Foursquare’s logo will appear in searches that include their points of interest.
Garmin Live Services: In order to get the most out of your Garmin DriveSmart, pair it to your smartphone. Once connected through the Smartphone Link App, your device will receive live data. This includes traffic, parking trends, and weather. Some services within the app require a subscription while others are free.
Charing Your Device: The Garmin SmartDrive can stay plugged in through the car adapter while you drive. You can also charge via an AC-DC adapter that can be purchased separately.
Software Updates: For the most accurate navigation keep your Garmin up to date. The small software updates only take minutes to download. You can access updates by connecting the GPS to Wi-Fi. The updates can also be downloaded directly from Garmin.com by connecting the device to a computer.
What People are Saying about the Garmin DriveSmart
What People Love:
- Display: The beautiful almost 7-inch screen making viewing directions easy and clear.
- Easy to Use: With Bluetooth and WiFi, the Garmin DriveSmart is easy to use. The features are easy to access and quick to learn.
- Voice Command: Users rave about how easy the voice commands are to access. This feature makes it a standout in the category.
Most Common Complaints:
- Battery Life: The Garmin DriveSmart only holds a charge for about an hour. Given you typically use a GPS on a long journey, make sure you keep your charging cord close.
- Traffic Cord: In order to access live traffic, you need a special traffic cord that is not the same as the charging cord included.
- Signal Problems: Users find it can take the Garmin a long time to access the satellite system. Others state that even on an open road its constantly reads low signal.
How Much Does the Garmin SmartDrive 61 Cost?
Vehicle GPS systems run the gamut when it comes to price. It’s important to compare features when shopping for a new navigation device. Garmin’s DriveSmart justifies its price with built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and live traffic. Most retailers carry the DriveSmart 61 for around $200-$250.
Compatible devices such as backup cameras and smartwatches are available for an additional cost. Certain app features require a subscription to use.
Why Buy the Garmin SmartDrive 61 LMT-S?
For those that spend the majority of their time driving, the Garmin SmartDrive device is a great alternative to using a phone GPS. The DriveSmart’s large, clear display makes navigating even the trickiest of routes easy.
A huge advantage to Garmin is the free map updates and traffic alerts. These come standard and last the life of the device. With the SmartDrive 61 LMT-S, you will always have the most up-to-date information.
There are so many distracted drivers on the road today. Garmin helps keep your eyes and hands where they belong. There is also a fatigue warning that reminds drivers to take a break if they’ve been behind the wheel for too long.
With its intuitive interface and customizable functions, the DriveSmart 61 is one of the best GPS on the market. You will not be disappointed if you bring the DriveSmart on your next road trip.
Leave a Reply