Why is a full face snorkeling mask superior? As compared to other mask types, full face diving masks are come convenient, easier to use and secure.
With a full face mask, you do not need to hold the snorkel in your mouth every time you want to breathe underwater.
Additionally, the best full face snorkeling mask offers more coverage and protection for your face (Source).
While this is the case, choosing the best full face snorkel mask can be a daunting task. This may be attributed to comfort and other features.
To choose the best mask, should consider aspects like the viewing capabilities, skirt material, ventilation, and purge valve availability. Also, comfort and fit.
What Are Full Face Snorkel Masks?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are Full Face Snorkel Masks?
- 2 How Much Does A Full Face Snorkel Mask Cost?
- 3 Comparing The Best Full Face Snorkel Masks
- 4 1. Tribord Easybreath Full Face Snorkeling Mask – Best Overall
- 5 2. Seaview 180° GoPro Compatible Snorkel Mask – The Best Panoramic Full Face Snorkeling Mask
- 6 3. Octobermoon Original Second Generation 180° Panoramic view Full Face Snorkel Mask – The Best Value for Your Money
- 7 4. Vaincre 180° Full Face Snorkel Mask – Best Full Face Mask for Kids and Grown Ups Alike
- 8 5. SeeReef Full Face Snorkel – The Best Full Face Snorkel Mask Below $50
- 9 6. Optical Corrective Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask –The Best Prescription Lens Full Face Snorkel Mask
- 10 7. Cressi Panoramic Wide View Mask Dry Snorkel Set – The Best Lightweight Full Face Diving Mask
- 11 8. X-Lounger Full Face Snorkel Mask 2.0 – The Best Foldable Full Face Snorkeling Mask
- 12 9. Ocean Reef Aria Full Face Snorkel Mask – The Full Face Snorkel Mask With The Widest Field of View
- 13 10. Head Sea Vu Dry Full Face Snorkeling Mask – The Best High End Full Face Snorkel Mask
- 14 How To Use A Full Face Snorkel Mask Safely
- 15 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Full Face Snorkel Mask
- 16 Ready To Buy The Best Full Face Snorkel Mask?
As the name suggests, full face snorkel masks cover the whole face of snorkelers. That way, they breathe in and out through their mouth and nose. These were first commercialized in the year 2014.
With full-face snorkeling masks, you are mostly having a good time looking at the marine life while floating on the surface of the water. That means a snorkeler wearing such a mask is not indulging in swimming activity.
Therefore, you might need a traditional snorkel or mask if you plan to swim against the flow of water, etc. The usage of such masks is limited to the surface, and not to dive underwater. They do not accompany an oxygen cylinder.
However, they do have a vertical pipe to inhale air, similar to traditional snorkel equipment. It also makes it obligatory for you to stay near the water surface for keeping you breathe comfortably.
Furthermore, full-faced snorkel masks are designed for people who find it hard to breathe through their mouth alone while underwater. Hence, the mask covers the face entirely for letting the user breathe through mouth and nose both.
How Much Does A Full Face Snorkel Mask Cost?
You can get full face snorkel masks at different prices. However, you do want a mask that will serve your purpose without compromising with the quality.
Additionally, you need to invest in a full face snorkel mask that is safe to use. After all, nobody would want to risk their life while in open water. Therefore, a good mask would be available for at least $35.
You can even get a high-quality snorkel mask for more than $100. The price varies based on the manufacturer, individual features, etc. For instance, you might need a snorkel mask that has a clamp to fix a GoPro action camera.
For that purpose, you will need to get a snorkel mask that gives you the flexibility and comfort you need to swim safely. The snorkel pipe should also be long and rigid to stay upright for the air to pass through it carefully.
Some snorkel masks also differ in prices based on the type of glass used in them. You want the glass to be shatter-proof, which can be a little more expensive than others.
Comparing The Best Full Face Snorkel Masks
|Tribord Easybreath Full Face Snorkeling Mask|
|Seaview 180° GoPro Compatible Snorkel Mask|
|Octobermoon Original Second Generation 180° Panoramic view Full Face Snorkel Mask|
|Vaincre 180° Full Face Snorkel Mask|
|SeeReef Full Face Snorkel|
|Optical Corrective Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask|
|Cressi Panoramic Wide View Mask Dry Snorkel Set|
|X-Lounger Full Face Snorkel Mask 2.0|
|Ocean Reef Aria Full Face Snorkel Mask|
|Head Sea Vu Dry Full Face Snorkeling Mask|
1. Tribord Easybreath Full Face Snorkeling Mask – Best OverallWhat makes this full face snorkeling mask stand out from the rest? To being with, this mask allows you to breathe with ease underwater as you would on the land. Additionally, the Tribord Easybreath Full Face Snorkeling Mask will give you a clear view whenever you are submerged in water. The mask features a large size, allowing you to have a 180° field of vision underwater.
With this mask on your dace, fogging will not be a problem. In this regard, the diving mask is equipped with a double air-flow ventilation system. Whenever you are submerged in water with this mask on, its top will automatically plug to prevent water from getting into the mask. While the mask is designed to be leak proof, it also features an effective water expulsion mechanism.
The purge valve fitted on this product makes it easier for you to get rid of any water that enters the mask through the top. For enhanced safety and durability, the polycarbonate window on this mask is shatterproof. The unit is also equipped with adjustable straps. As such, you can easily adjust your mask for a more comfortable fit. This helps a lot, especially when you’re into discovering the underwaterworld, perfect when paired with these top underwater metal detectors for a fun activity.
2. Seaview 180° GoPro Compatible Snorkel Mask – The Best Panoramic Full Face Snorkeling MaskWhat if you had a full-face mask that allows you to breathe through the nose or mouth? This is now possible with the aesthetically appealing Seaview GoPro compatible Snorkel Mask. This mask is specifically designed to help you have a comfortable, enjoyable and safe snorkeling experience for a long time. In this regard, the product is made of high quality materials. For instance, the product is made of premium quality silicone and is made using some of the best injection molding processes in the industry today.
The watertight silicone insert used on this product is renowned for its durability and comfort. This insert creates a watertight seal that will prevent water from leaking into the mask for extended periods, up to a day. If any water happens to leak into the mask, you can easily drain it away with the help of the one-way chin valve on this mask. To achieve this, you only need to tilt your head backwards.
Since the product is designed to offer optimal snorkeling comfort for extended periods, it features one of the most effective ventilation systems. The product applies an innovative air-flow technology by the manufacturer to prevent fogging. In this regard, the mask features a separate breathing chamber. In addition to allowing you to breathe through the mouth or nose, this chamber creates an air flow away from the viewing window.
The lens used on this unit offers a 180° field of view. This lens is refined and designed to offer you optimal and undistorted visibility underwater. This being the case, you will experience an optimal field of vision with this full face diving mask. If you’re a fan of top-rated underwater fishing cameras, you’ll love this mask.
3. Octobermoon Original Second Generation 180° Panoramic view Full Face Snorkel Mask – The Best Value for Your MoneyThe build quality is among the aspects that attract divers to this mask. If you have experience with such products, you will immediately notice the unique build quality of this product the first time you hold it. Again, you will love the wide field of view of view offered by this mask. Being one of the bets full face snorkeling masks today, this Octobermoon mask gives you a 180 degrees field of view.
For a more customizable fit, this mask is equipped with adjustable straps. This being the case, you will have an easy time keeping the mask on your head. What’s more, you will not experience any form of discomfort on the pressure points. The quality of this product is backed by a money back guarantee by the manufacturer. As such, you can send the product back for a full refund, if you do love its performance.
4. Vaincre 180° Full Face Snorkel Mask – Best Full Face Mask for Kids and Grown Ups AlikeAs compared to the other full face masks reviewed above, the Vaincre Full face Snorkel Mask is essentially a 2-in-1 mask. Not only is this mask appealing to look at, it is also of high quality and delivers an impressive performance. The field of view is one of the best selling points of this product. The mask features an inspiring design to offer you one of the best panoramic views in the industry today. With such a mask, you will be able to explore the area around and below your position with a unique clarity.
The mask is also designed to prevent fogging and features a built-in snorkel tube. This tube allows you to breathe through the mouth or the nose. As such, the mask is rated the best for beginners and seasons divers alike. You will love the movable GoPro compatible camera mount. This will allow you to attach a camera to your mask and capture the events as you snorkel underwater.
5. SeeReef Full Face Snorkel – The Best Full Face Snorkel Mask Below $50Are you looking for a mask that will keep your face dry even when you are diving downwards? You should consider buying the SeeReef Full Face Snorkel mask right away. In this regard, the product comes with additional parts. For instance, the mask will come with additional seals that you can easily replace. This allows you to maintain the integrity of the product for years to come.
The 100 percent money back guarantee by the manufacturer is prove that the mask if of the right quality. In this regard, you can claim a full refund, should you not like the quality and performance of this diving mask. With regards to ventilation, this mask features 4 separate breathing valves. This makes it easier for you to breathe, whilst keeping water out.
Additionally, the mask has additional intakes to maximize airflow. As such, the mask guarantees an anti-fog, leak-proof comfort and performance.
6. Optical Corrective Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask –The Best Prescription Lens Full Face Snorkel MaskDo you wear glasses? If so, you are going to need a diving mask that allows you to use prescription lenses. The Optical Corrective Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask is one of the best products, in this regard. With regards to build quality, this product features a liquid silicone injected strap and skirt as well as a double-edge seal. All the prescription lenses offered for this mask are made of tempered glass, commonly referred to as Toughened glass.
The various prescription lenses you need on your mask will be installed by certified technicians. Again, you can have different corrective lenses on either side of the mask. All you need to do is send the relevant information when ordering your Optical Corrective Scuba Dive Snorkeling mask.
7. Cressi Panoramic Wide View Mask Dry Snorkel Set – The Best Lightweight Full Face Diving MaskEnhance the way you view the underwater environment with this Cressi Panoramic Wide View Snorkel Mask. This mask was primarily designed to do two main things; give you a better view and keep your face dry. In this regard, the product features a 4-window design to give you a clear panoramic view underwater. The side windows, in this case, are meant to increase peripheral vision.
In addition to the wide field of view it offers, this product features a sturdy, lightweight construction. With regards to build quality, the product features a 100 percent liquid silicone construction and durable tempered glass lens.
8. X-Lounger Full Face Snorkel Mask 2.0 – The Best Foldable Full Face Snorkeling MaskIf you are familiar with the first generation of the X-Lounger Full Face Mask, you must be eager to learn what the second generation offers, right? Well the second generation is just as effective and popular as the first one, but is packed with better features. To begin with, the product features more reality flat lenses. This will give you a superior 180 degrees field of view.
The product offers an anti fog and easy to breathe snorkeling experience. In this regard, the mask allows you to breathe through the mouth or nose. Additionally, it features a longer snorkel tube (9.3 inches), which allows you to dive deeper. The innovative foldable design of this mask makes it more durable and easier to install.
9. Ocean Reef Aria Full Face Snorkel Mask – The Full Face Snorkel Mask With The Widest Field of ViewGet a mask that allows you to breathe freely and naturally, either through the mouth or the nose. Additionally, this is one of the few full face snorkel masks that boast of a crystal clear vision. This may be attributed to the internal partitioning of the face mask. You will also not experience fogging with this mask. This is prevented by the effective air venting mechanism used on this mask.
The mask features a Dry Top technology to ensure that your face remains dry while you are snorkeling. Any of the leading experts in the industry will tell you that this Aria Full Face mask is one of the best today, with regards to the widest field of vision.
10. Head Sea Vu Dry Full Face Snorkeling Mask – The Best High End Full Face Snorkel MaskAre you looking for the best upgrade from traditional snorkel masks? The Head Sea Vu Dry Face Snorkeling Mask is one of the best, if you are not working on a limited budget. By allowing you to breathe naturally, either through the mouth or nose, this mask prevents fogging. The integrated snorkel on this product features a dry top technology. This prevents water from getting into the mask and minimizes distractions.
How To Use A Full Face Snorkel Mask Safely
Full face snorkel masks are great for enjoying a lovely time on the surface of a water body. However, that is only possible if you are using it safely. Many a time, CO2 builds up inside the closed space of such a snorkel mask, which can be dangerous for users.
It happens because snorkelers are unable to exhale to their full extent to get fresh air in their lungs. Humans release more CO2 when exhaling compared to fresh air.
Thus, when they breathe in again, they end up with more CO2 in their lungs, as it could not leave the mask completely. It builds up more CO2 in the mask, leading to dizziness, etc. One has to practice safe snorkeling with a full-face mask by exhaling deeply and then inhaling.
Furthermore, snorkel masks are not meant to be used for extensive swimming or deep diving in the open water. It is also essential that you choose a mask that fits and face correctly. You might need to breathe wearing it on land a few times to check its workability.
Additionally, inspect that upon exhaling, only the breathing area of the mask is fogging up. After all, you do not want your vision to be clogged in any way. Never use a snorkel mask alone for the first time.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Full Face Snorkel Mask
If you are going for scuba diving, you are going to need the right equipment to have the best snorkeling experience. The snorkeling mask is one of the most important components of snorkeling gear today.
As you may be aware, it is impossible for unaided human eyes to focus under water. With the right diving mask, you will have a pocket of air around the eyes. This will, in turn, allow you to see mode clearly under the water.
Additionally, the best snorkeling mask will make it possible for your body to adjust to pressure changes underwater. As you can see, even the greatest swim goggles for triathlon will be of no help when used for snorkeling.
It is for this reason that you should look for the best full face snorkeling mask today. If you are shopping for a full face snorkel mask, here are some of the things you need to consider:
1. Ventilation System
Among other things, a good snorkeling mask should help you to breathe underwater. If you accidentally breathed through the nose while using a traditional diving mask, fog will be formed on the lenses. This will make it almost impossible for you to see. In such a case, you will have to resurface and clear the fog before diving again.
To avoid this inconvenience, you should consider buying a mask that has an efficient ventilation system. Most of the best snorkeling masks today are equipped with an airflow vent system. However, such masks are usually costlier.
2. Viewing Capabilities
You probably are snorkeling to get a better view of animal and plant life in a lake, ocean or stream, right? As such, you will need a full face mask that gives you the best full-view of the surrounding.
In this regard, it is advisable to go for the models that offer a full 180-degree view. Additionally, you have to ensure that your preferred mask does not fog.
With such considerations in mind, you should go for tempered lenses instead of plastic. To ensure that you get the best view possible, here are some of the lenses you should consider:
- Corrective Lenses
Do you wear contact lenses or glasses? If so, it is advisable to buy a mask that can accommodate corrective lenses. Some of the leading brands produce their products in such a way that the diver can easily change the lenses. In this regard, you should buy a model that can accommodate a vast array of corrective lenses.
- Color Correcting Lenses
These are special type of lenses that are specifically designed to pick up Yellow and red colors as well as offer the diver an enhanced depth perspective. As you snorkel, most lenses tend to lose red at depths below 10 feet and yellow at depths below 20 feet. Color correcting lenses are specially formulated to prevent this occurrence.
3. Comfort and Fit
This is actually one of the most important considerations that you need to make while shopping for a snorkeling mask. To prevent leakage into the mask, you should look for the right fit. Rather than going for a fixed size mask, you should consider buying one that offers a customizable fit.
In this regard, adjustable straps on full face snorkel masks will come in handy. So, how can you know which mask is of the right size for your head?
- Place the mask against the face without the help of the straps
- Try to inhale through your nose gently
- The right fit should stick on the face, without the help of straps, and you should not experience continuous suction through the nose
For a customizable fit, you should choose a model that as adjustable straps. This way, it will be easier for you to adjust it for a more comfortable fit.
4. Purge Valves
While the right full face snorkel mask should be watertight, water will still be penetrating into the mask from time to time. A purge valve is basically a one-way valve, positioned on the nose of the mask.
This valve makes it easier for you to clear water from your mask. With a purge valve on your mask, you will not need to face upwards whenever you are clearing water from the mask.
5. Skirt Material
Finally, you need to consider the material making the skirt on your preferred full face diving mask. The best skirt material should be able to keep water away from your face at all times. Currently, superior quality silicone mask skirts are considered to be some of the best. Such a material offers complete sealing as well as enhanced comfort.
Some of the affordable full face masks feature low quality rubber or plastic skirts. As time goes by, such skirts are likely to become bristle of crack. This makes them less durable. Some of the leading brands in the industry today offer secondary skirts for their masks. This will give your mask more resistant to leaks.
Ready To Buy The Best Full Face Snorkel Mask?
Come to think of it, what makes a snorkeling mask stand out? Well this will depend on many things. However, one thing is for sure; full face snorkel masks are the best option.
While there are hundreds of good models, you should only buy the best full face snorkel mask.
In this regard, you need to compare the various models in terms of skirt materials, comfort and fit, viewing capabilities and ventilation.
Regardless of your individual preferences, this guide will help you choose the best full face snorkeling mask.