Is your engine showing signs of engine stuttering? Insufficient fuel use or bad fuel mileage? If yes, you might want to consider cleaning it among other maintenance tune-ups.
Engines burn fuel to gas on a daily basis provided it is being used. Being an organic compound, the end product of this process is carbon and soot.
Accumulation of soot and carbon substances clogs the engine and the result is an under-performing engine (Source).
Cleaning engines isn’t done regularly, but regular checks on engine fuel injectors is of immense importance. That said, having a reliable fuel injector cleaning kit should be a priority for any car or garage owner.
With the plenty of products available on the market, our fuel injector cleaning kit review below highlights some of the best products currently available.
What Are Fuel Injectors?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are Fuel Injectors?
- 2 Common Symptoms of Clogged Fuel Injectors
- 3 Comparing The Top 5 Best Fuel Injector Cleaning Kits
- 4 1. The Berryman 1120 Chemtool Thru-Rail Fuel Cleaning Kit – Best Overall Cleaning Solution
- 5 2. The Mityvac MV5565 Fuel Cleaning Kit – Unique Technology
- 6 3. The OTC Tools 7649A Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit – Professional Grade Kit
- 7 4. The 3M Fuel System Tune-Up Kit – Best for Mechanically-Minded Users
- 8 5. The Berryman 2610 B-12 Chemtool Total Combustion Cleaning Kit – Highly Concentrated Solution
- 9 How to Use Fuel Injector Cleaning Kits?
- 10 What Are the Benefits of Clean Fuel Injectors?
- 11 Things to Consider Before Buying a Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit
- 12 Ready To Buy The Best Fuel Injector Cleaning Kits?
The fuel injector is a part of your car’s engine that supplies cylinders with a certain amount of gas periodically. It ensures that there is the right fusion of air and fuel in cylinders. This is essential for driving the car forward.
If any of the fuel injector nozzles gets clogged, even just a little bit, the engine will not operate properly. This will have a negative effect on the performance of your vehicle.
That’s why it is important to keep the fuel injectors clean. A good rule of thumb is to clean your fuel injectors every 2,500 miles.
Common Symptoms of Clogged Fuel Injectors
Don’t delay cleaning your clogged or dirty fuel injector, as it will impact the engine of your car. It is critical to recognize the symptoms of a clogged injector and fix the problem promptly.
Here are the most common symptoms to watch out for:
- Engine hesitation: Does your engine shudder or stumble when running? If so, your engine will not be able to keep the right fuel to air ratio because it is deprived of gasoline.
- Performance loss: The clogged fuel injector will prevent your engine from upkeeping optimal performance. Besides fuel injectors, performance loss can also happen because of a dirty air filter, clogged gas line, or bad spark plugs.
- Increased fuel consumption: If your car is getting bad gas mileage, it’s quite likely that the fuel injector is clogged. The engine is not supplied with gasoline at the right time, which makes your car use so much fuel.
- Rough idling: Just like the bad spark plugs, dirty or clogged injectors can cause this problem.
- Engine misfires: It often results from an inappropriate fuel and air mixture in cylinders. Since the gas doesn’t burn properly, an engine misfire causes the jerking motions from time to time.
Comparing The Top 5 Best Fuel Injector Cleaning Kits
|The Berryman 1120 Chemtool Thru-Rail Fuel Cleaning Kit|
|The Mityvac MV5565 Fuel Cleaning Kit|
|The OTC Tools 7649A Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit|
|The 3M Fuel System Tune-Up Kit|
|The Berryman 2610 B-12 Chemtool Total Combustion Cleaning Kit|
1. The Berryman 1120 Chemtool Thru-Rail Fuel Cleaning Kit – Best Overall Cleaning SolutionIf you are in the market for a solution that works on your injectors directly, the Berryman 1120 Chemtool Thru-Rail Fuel Cleaning Kit should be where your buck stops. This solution works on all fuel-injected gasoline engines. It blasts through any obstacle in your engine and works quickly and efficiently.
A huge difference between this cleaning solution and other countless products on the market is the presence of incredibly powerful detergents. It is highly concentrated, perhaps far stronger than any other fuel-line cleaner you can ever find.
So to say, it dissolves styrene on contact. It is specifically tailored to obliterate petroleum-related by-products such as gum, fuel residue and soot. This is attributed to Berryman’s high-energy solvent technology that is insanely effective.
Unlike other products that raise worries of damaging your car, the Berryman 1120 Chemtool Thru-Rail Fuel Cleaning Kit is safe on catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. It has no side effects of the components you are trying to clean.
The solution comes in a pressurized can that is designed to fit its specifically made or recommended kit. Therefore, you won’t need to use a compressor, unless you want to use a blow-out adapter after the cleaner.
2. The Mityvac MV5565 Fuel Cleaning Kit – Unique TechnologyIf you are a professional looking for an injector cleaning kit for your shop or home garage, the Mityvac MV5565 Fuel Cleaning Kit should be your product of choice. This unit, unlike many other products, uses compressed air to eliminate effectively carbon deposits that compromise the fuel injection system.
This system eliminates not only the fuel injection deposits but also clears carbon deposits in the induction system including the valves, adapters and hoses. It appears quite simple but covers all the basics you might need.
The Mityvac MV5565 Fuel Cleaning Kit works on anything provided you have the right adapters. Note that you will need to find an adapter that fits between the hose and the specific auto.
Like OTC and other best products on the market, this system features a blowout system that can connect to the garage’s air compressor. The main point of this is to blow out the cleaner setup as well as the combustion system. All you need to do is fit your compressor and run it for few minutes.
The unit uses standard shop air to deliver the cleaning solution into the fuel stream. It functions exceptionally on domestic and imported vehicles with both high and low-pressure fuel systems. The system has high-pressure gauge with an adjustable regulator that ensures that the cleaning solution is delivered properly.
Its 32oz canister holds enough cleaner solution for your needs. Certainly, you can use it for several times before running out. Storing the Mityvac MV5565 Fuel Cleaning Kit is also easy, as it comes with a mounting bracket used to mount it to the garage wall.
3. The OTC Tools 7649A Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit – Professional Grade KitProfessionals and seasoned enthusiasts will find the OTC Tools 7649A Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit very helpful. This professional kit comes with all the included parts and tools vital for direct cleaning of all your injectors, just like the pros do it.
To begin, you will be impressed by how well made this equipment is, ranging from the heavy duty hose to the stainless steel tank construction. Certainly, it is a surefire solution for mechanically-inclined drivers.
The OTC Tools 7649A Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit is compatible with any cleaner. This allows users to use their favorite brand of injector cleaner in the dispensing tank as you apply directly to the fuel injectors and various components.
Adding to this versatility, you can use the different cleaners for different vehicles without requiring a separate tool. It can work on all sorts of injectors, provided there are correct adapters.
Upon purchase, the OTC Tools 7649A Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit comes with a deluxe manual and instruction book that provides tips and directions for use during cleaning. With such, you can easily maneuver through rarest imported motors as well as standard American products.
The hose and the tank are compatible with ethanol-based fuels and other aggressive cleaning solutions. Therefore, you shouldn’t worry about the solution damaging your equipment after use.
The simple ball valve gives the user instant control over the flow and pressure within the system. It also comes with a pressure gauge for testing the engine’s performance prior to and after the cleaning job. You can also take advantage of the blowout tool feature that helps in cleaning out excess solutions and gunk after cleaning.
4. The 3M Fuel System Tune-Up Kit – Best for Mechanically-Minded UsersThose looking to clean their systems without replacing any parts should consider the 3M Fuel System Tune-Up Kit as a solid option. This kit comes with three products that helps in cleaning the whole fuel system including the carburettor plate, fuel injectors and throttle plate.
The kit comes with a spray can cleaner and a wand that cleans the intake manifolds, valves and the always dirty combustion chamber. The wand is designed to clean as your motor engine idles, to ensure that the motor moves the cleaner through the system for you.
The 3M Fuel System Tune-Up Kit has an additional spray can used to clean the carburettor and throttle plate. Unlike other models, this kit comes with specific cleaners for each component. This ascertains that you do a thorough job on each part.
With the spray cans, you can be sure of cleaning parts in your motor that other fuel-line cleaners can’t reach. Note that applying the cleaner directly to the engine parts is more effective than running it through the fuel line. You will be applying the cleaner with more strength, meaning you will clean off more carbon.
Besides, this model also comes with its own fuel injector cleaner, meaning that you will have the best of both worlds. With this, the 3M Fuel System Tune-Up Kit is ideal for cleaning all the components of the engine that are hard to reach.
5. The Berryman 2610 B-12 Chemtool Total Combustion Cleaning Kit – Highly Concentrated SolutionThe Berryman 2610 B-12 Chemtool Total Combustion Cleaning Kit is a product to consider if you need to a once-over cleaning for intake valves and combustion chambers. So to say, it is perfect for all those non-fuel line parts in your car.
The kit’s solution is highly concentrated, thus strong to remove those stubborn clogs and accumulated deposits. It also dissolves pretty fast, perhaps due to the high-energy solvent technology.
The Berryman 2610 B-12 Chemtool Total Combustion Cleaning Kit works on everything in the combustion system as the car’s vacuum pump spreads it around the engine. Once can of this solution can clean all the intake valves and the combustion chamber effectively, perhaps easier than cleaning it by hand.
Like other top-notch products outlined above, this kit comes with easy to understand instructions of use. You can also check online tutorials.
How to Use Fuel Injector Cleaning Kits?
Once you’ve reviewed the layout and engine model, grab an injector cleaner and follow these steps:
- Locate the connector: It is located on the fuel rail inside the hood. Make sure the cleaning kit matches the connector to connect them without a hitch. The connector can be a threaded fitting or a rubber hose, depending on which car you have.
- Warm your car up: Start your car and allow it to run for a few minutes to make the engine reach the operating temperature.
- Prepare the injector cleaning solution: Mix it as per instructions to get it ready.
- Kill the Engine: It takes some time for the engine to reach normal operating temperature. Then simply turn off the engine.
- Disable fuel pump: Don’t overlook this important step. You can do it by removing the fuse from the panel or disconnecting the fuel harness.
- Mount the fuel injector cleaning kit: After filling the canister with the cleaning solution, you should attach fittings and hoses. Now you are ready to connect the cleaning kit according to instructions.
- Add pressure: Connect the air hose of your compressor to create the right amount of pressure.
- Start the engine again: This will help empty canister contents into your car’s engine.
- Turn off the engine: You will need to do it before disconnecting the cleaning kit.
- Reconnect the fuel pump: Once the fuel injectors are cleaned properly, simply connect the fuel pump and you are good to go.
What Are the Benefits of Clean Fuel Injectors?
- Decreased friction: Your engine consists of numerous working parts that are lubricated to work in sync. By chipping away the moving metal parts, the friction can affect your engine.
- Decreased harmful emissions: Clean fuel injectors will cause your engine to produce fewer emissions.
- Reduced fuel consumption: If the fuel injectors are not clean, your gas mileage will be decreasing over time. Keep your fuel injectors clean to improve the fuel efficiency of your car.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit
There are several details to keep in mind when searching for a fuel injector cleaning kit. This ascertains that you get the best product on the market. Some of the considerations to pay attention to include:
Adapter and Fittings
You should prioritize a fuel injector cleaning kit that comes with several adapters and fittings. This makes it universal since not all vehicles are similar. Other products connect better to domestic vehicles while others can connect to both domestic and foreign vehicles. Consider a kit that suits your operations.
There are limitless brands of fuel injector cleaning kits out on the market. This may make it confusing to select the best product. Nonetheless, the best way of succeeding in this is to look at the minor details such as adapters it comes with, the effectiveness of the product, customer reviews among others.
This will help you gather some vital information about the product thus determine if it best suits your needs.
Like other purchases, the price is always an issue. Certainly, everyone wants a product that gives value for their money. That said, expensive fuel injector cleaning kits are not always the best quality.
Similarly, cheap is not always of poor quality. Therefore, you should again consider the minor details before settling on one.
If you are searching for injector cleaning kits, you probably have some basic mechanical knowledge. However, if your know-how isn’t much, you should probably consider an easy to use kit. For instance, avoid kits that involve taking the injectors apart or cleaning them directly.
On the other hand, if you are good and knowledgeable at DIY repairs, you might consider spending more on a professional grade kit. The kit could include cleaning tool with a pressure gauge among other accessories.
Ready To Buy The Best Fuel Injector Cleaning Kits?
Fuel injector cleaning kits are invaluable if you need to provide cleaning services at your garage or at home to keep your motor’s optimal performance. Perhaps of immense importance is ensuring that you select the best fuel injector cleaning kit that will serve you well and for long.
There are various cleaning kits available on the market, but the products outlined above are some of the best. Whereas some may be quite pricey, they provide satisfactory services. Each product is great in its own way.
From the fuel injector cleaning kit review above, it is evident that the best ought to have diverse adapters and fittings, be of a good and reputable brand and affordable. Pros can also consider an advanced kit that has pressure-measuring gauges.
That said, which one of the products mentioned is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!