Folding saws are an innovation by the modern man to make a lot of tasks easier and less tedious. Lovers of camping, hunting, hiking and outdoor adventures should consider the folding saw as a must-have equipment.
There are plenty of folding saws out on the market currently. Finding the best requires that you begin by looking at some factors, including intended use, weight, handle and saw material. This may be a confusing task, especially for beginners.
Nonetheless, the best folding saw for hunting, camping or any other use ought to provide the best out of its features.
Our folding saw review below highlights some of the best folding saws on the market as well as the features of the best products.
5 Best Folding Saws in 2018
|Tabor T6 Folding Saw|
|The Silky Folding Landscaping Saw|
|The Bahco 396-LAP Folding Saw|
|The Corona RS 7265 Tooth Folding Saw|
|The Silky Professional Series Bigboy 2000 Hand Saw|
1. Tabor T6 Folding Saw – Best Overall Folding SawIf you are looking for a multipurpose folding saw, the Tabor T6 Folding Saw should be your product of choice. It is the best product of choice for pruning trees, shaping Christmas trees, trimming tree branches, clearing dense forest trails and camping.
Some of the key features of the Tabor T6 Folding Saw include:
- Powerful blade – the saw features a powerful 8” blade that cuts branches ranging up to 4” in diameter. The saw is great for limbing trees such as pines and oak, providing deep satisfying and tearing through cuts.
- Outdoor and Survival feature – take your Tabor T6 Folding Saw to any outdoor escapade, and you won’t regret. It is extra lightweight and fits on backpacks and toolbox without much squeeze. It is a great tool for trail maintenance, constructing shelter as well as emergencies.
- Non-slip grip – this folding saw comes with a rugged handle with non-slip materials that make it easier to handle. The handle size makes it perfect for small, medium and extra-large hand sizes.
- Locking system – like other folding saws, Tabor T6 Folding Saw has an excellent opening and closing lock system. The lock on the handle prevents the blade from flopping when not in use.
- Customer satisfaction guarantee – the Tabor T6 Folding Saw is one of the few folding saws you can order with confidence. Tabor provides an unlimited customer satisfaction guarantee.
2. The Silky Folding Landscaping Saw – Best Multifunctional Folding SawThe Silky Folding Landscaping Saw comes as a good choice for any outdoor enthusiast looking for a multipurpose/multifunctional folding saws. This model comes with refined Japanese cutting technology, making it perfect for various applications.
From precision-ground and impulse hardened teeth to premium handle that provides superior performance and exceptional ergonomics, the Silky Folding Landscaping Saw should be your folding saw of choice for all outdoor activities.
Starting off its superior features is the tooth design. As mentioned initially, the teeth are manufactured with patented miraime to offer smooth cutting design. They are also hardened to handle any outdoor abuse presented.
The impulse hardening technology involves special high-frequency heating where the teeth are instantly heated and hardened. The remaining part of the saw remains unchanged and retains its flexibility. This results in harder teeth compared to the ordinary file that stays sharp three times longer than non-hardened teeth.
The Silky Folding Landscaping Saw is a multipurpose folding saw. It is versatile for use for building uses, camping, woodworking, landscaping and other general outdoor activities.
Manufacturers provide a carrying case made of custom hard plastic for enhanced portability.
3. The Bahco 396-LAP Folding Saw – Best Folding Saw for BackpackingThe Bahco 396-LAP Folding Saw is one of the most ubiquitous gear every backpacking enthusiast should have. The folding saw is 9” long when folded, perfect size for any reliable, light, compact and easy to use folding saw for camping, bushcraft, and backyard gardening activities.
One thing about this folding saw is its construction quality. Those who have tried it before attest that it feels good in the hand. Besides being light, it has a good grip with a solid build. It has 7 teeth per inch made of heavy-duty steel with an anti-rust epoxy coating.
Its handle is shatterproof and made of high-grade plastic with rubber coatings that provide undoubtable grip even during wet conditions. This folding saw is well dimensioned for cutting branches and felling of small and medium trees.
4. The Corona RS 7265 Tooth Folding Saw – Best Curved Folding SawThe Corona RS 7265 Tooth Folding Saw is a curved folding saw that is perfect for pruning small and medium branches. Some of the key features of this folding saw include:
- 3-sided razor teeth – the 10” saw blade has 3-sided teeth for efficient pruning. It is ideal for cutting branches of between 5” – 6” diameter.
- Ergonomic design and comfortable handle – the saw features a comfortable gripped handle.
- The blade is easy to latch – the curved blade of The Corona RS 7265 Tooth Folding Saw is taper-ground and replaceable. It also latches easily to prevent accidents when not in use.
- Impulse hardened teeth – as with the Tabor folding saw, this saw also has impulse hardened teeth for extended service.
5. The Silky Professional Series Bigboy 2000 Hand Saw – Best Landscaping Hand SawIf you are searching for a long folding blade, The Silky Professional Series Bigboy 2000 Hand Saw should be your blade of choice. It features 14.5” long blade with 5.5 teeth per inch. It is better known for landscaping with its excellent applications in trimming, lawn and gardening and pruning.
The saw is lightweight yet extra durable and effective for small tree cutting and limbing. The blade opens to two positions adding to its effectiveness. Its blade is made of SK4 carbon steel, which is pivoted to an aluminum handle.
A non-slip cover covers the aluminum handle that can accommodate both hands for enhanced ease of use.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Folding Saw
As mentioned prior, there is a myriad of folding saws present on the market currently. As some brands may look intriguing, not all brands can meet your needs. This is why you should carefully consider several factors before buying any folding saws.
Before getting into the specifications, here are some of the reasons and benefits of finding the best folding saw for your needs.
- Versatile – folding saws are the most versatile type among the once mentioned above. With these saws, you will save your knife from the damage that comes with cutting wood and preparing firewood. Top models have adjustable blades that come in handy for hunting and camping trips.
- Lightweight – folding saws are designed for various outdoor activities. Therefore, to ease portability, they are lightweight and designed to be carried for long periods. Their intricate folding mechanism reduces their size to fit in any storage space.
- Affordable – compared to multifunctional survival knives that can be quite pricey, folding saws are affordable and easy to maintain. They are also designed to handle extreme punishment as their durability ascertains use for multiple years.
Key features to consider
Having outlined the benefits of these products, below are some of the key features to consider when looking for the best folding saw. This will ensure that you get the most from your money as well as avoid cheaper knockoffs.
To begin, folding saws are perfect for multifunctional use. However, there are different sub-specifications with each class perfect for a specific task. For instance, best folding saws for camping are great for camping activities while some are better suited for gardening and home activities.
Therefore, you should begin by identifying what you intend to use the saw for. Ask yourself some questions regarding the intended use. For instance, will the saw be part of your survival gear? Is it an emergency tool? Do you need it for trimming wood?
If you have already identified this, proceed and select a product that can handle the task expertly.
Folding saws come in a myriad of sizes despite their folding feature. Size determination is among the major prospects of determining the best use for the saw. Most saws are commonly used for camping and hunting activities, but others can come in handy for backpackers.
Regardless of the use, the size of the folding saw should be medium. An extra big saw will certainly be strenuous and quite frustrating to carry around. Having the right size will save on the carrying space and packaging space.
Folding Saw Weight
The weight of the saw goes hand in hand with its size. Obviously, a huge saw most often translates to heavyweight. The weight of the saw also interlinks with the size in that a heavy and large saw makes it troublesome to carry along.
An adjustable folding saw blade offers more versatility. This is because you will be able to tighten and loosen the blade depending on the current use. Additionally, the most versatile folding saws feature interchangeable blades that allow users to swap them if they need something stronger for strenuous uses.
Gripping and Comfort
Like any other outdoor gear, making sure that you are comfortable using it is of immense importance. For folding saws, this is determined by the saw’s grip. Many people often ignore this but are beneficial to have a saw you can hold securely.
Grips of folding saws might be changed if necessary. However, it is prudent if you find a satisfactory grip from the start.
Fast Cutting Action
If you need a folding saw to make fast cuts, the best folding saws for camping should be your choice. These saws handle fast cutting actions expertly. You will be able to cut much faster especially when preparing wood for your camp. This feature requires a stronger and durable blade.
Safety is always an essential factor. Therefore, you must ensure that the saw has some safety features. An essential safety feature for any folding blade is the lock on the handle.
Remember that folding blades ought to have a lock that keeps the folded handle securely in place. You should ensure that this works properly to prevent the blade from swinging back causing potential damage.
Teeth Number and Type
The design and use of teeth dictate how the blade performs. The number of teeth often referred to as TPI indicates the best use of the folding saw. Any folding saw with more teeth produces smoother cuts.
The size of the teeth is also an important factor to consider. Whereas larger teeth provide faster cutting and better for softwood, small teeth provide fine cuts slowly for hardwood. Medium teeth size is also best for hardwoods.
Material and Quality
The type of metal used to make the saw should also be considered. Some materials are cheaper but don’t last long. Some products also have varying quality controls, making them less reliable.
Deciding on the specific type of folding saw to purchase solely lies on your situation and your primary concerns. If weight and size are your primary concern, go for a suitably small folding saw.
From the features outlined above, you can easily discern the best folding saw to purchase. Additionally, our folding saw review outlined some of the best products in the market. You can go for either of these products.
As an outdoor enthusiast, which of the models mentioned above have you tried? Which one is your favorite and for which use? Share with us in the comments section below!