Folding saws are an innovation by the modern man to make a lot of tasks easier and less tedious. Lovers of camping, hunting, hiking, and outdoor adventures should consider the folding saw as a piece of must-have equipment.
There are plenty of folding saws out on the market. Hence, finding the best requires that you begin by looking at some factors, including intended use, weight, handle, and saw material. This may be a confusing task, especially for beginners.
Nonetheless, the best folding saw for hunting, camping, or any other use ought to provide the best out of its features.
Our folding saw review below highlights some of the best folding saws on the market as well as the features of the best products.
What is a Folding Saw?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Folding Saw?
- 2 How Much Does a Folding Saw Cost?
- 3 Comparing The Five Best Folding Saws
- 4 1. Tabor T6 Folding Saw – Best Overall Folding Saw
- 5 2. The Silky Folding Landscaping Saw – Best Multifunctional Folding Saw
- 6 3. The Bahco 396-LAP Folding Saw – Best Folding Saw for Backpacking
- 7 4. The Corona RS 7265 Tooth Folding Saw – Best Curved Folding Saw
- 8 5. The Silky Professional Series Bigboy 2000 Hand Saw – Best Landscaping Hand Saw
- 9 How To Choose A Good Folding Saw?
- 10 Things to Consider Before Buying a Folding Saw
- 11 FAQs About Folding Saws
- 12 Ready To Buy The Best Folding Saw?
A folding saw is a toothed saw that is a versatile tool for camping enthusiasts. You can use it for sawing wood in the forest while you are on hunting, camping, or similar expeditions. The tactical use of these saws is that they are easier to carry because the saw blade can be folded into the compartment given within its handle.
That way, it becomes more portable. Folding saws are often called Bushcraft saws because they are designed for carving, cutting, and doing other operations with wood. Their designs are usually much smaller compared to regular saws.
However, their compact size should never be fooled by their practical usage. Some folding saws have a very sturdy grip that can give you comfort while using it just like a regular-sized saw.
Their compact size gives you the advantage of carrying them in your camping rucksacks or even your pockets. The folding mechanism protects you from accidentally injuring yourself while carrying it in your pocket.
How Much Does a Folding Saw Cost?
The good thing about folding saws is that they are available at a variety of prices. You can get them at a meager amount of just $5. Additionally, you can get them at a high rate of over $200. The price difference in these tools varies due to several factors, such as quality of the saw, design, brand, durability, water resistance, etc.
However, would you still want to go for the cheapest model? Absolutely, not. When you are going to use equipment while you are hiking, camping, etc., you would want it to be a reliable one. You want the tool to aid you in your adventure without any issues later.
Imagine how frustrating it would be to purchase a cheap model, which would end up breaking later. Instead, invest in a folding saw that you can consider reliable.
Find a blade that can withstand the hardships of a sawing, carving, or cutting job while in the open. Therefore, a good folding saw would cost you between $30 to $70.
Comparing The Five Best Folding Saws
|Tabor T6 Folding Saw|
|The Silky Folding Landscaping Saw|
|The Bahco 396-LAP Folding Saw|
|The Corona RS 7265 Tooth Folding Saw|
|The Silky Professional Series Bigboy 2000 Hand Saw|
1. Tabor T6 Folding Saw – Best Overall Folding SawIf you are looking for a multipurpose folding saw, the Tabor T6 Folding Saw should be yours. It is the best product of choice for pruning trees, shaping Christmas trees, trimming tree branches, clearing dense forest trails, and camping.
Some of the key features of the Tabor T6 Folding Saw include:
- Powerful blade – It features a powerful 8-inch blade that cuts branches of up to 4 inches in diameter. Thus, it is great for limbing trees such as pines and oak, providing deep and satisfying cuts.
- Outdoor and Survival feature – Take your Tabor T6 Folding Saw to any outdoor escapade and you won’t regret. It is extra lightweight and fits on backpacks and toolboxes without much squeeze. Additionally, it is a great tool for trail maintenance, constructing shelter, and emergencies.
- Non-slip grip – This folding saw comes with a rugged handle with non-slip materials that make it easier to handle. The handle size makes it perfect for small, medium, and extra-large hand sizes.
- Locking system – Like other folding saws, this product has an excellent opening and closing lock system. The lock on the handle prevents the blade from flopping when not in use.
- Customer satisfaction guarantee – The Tabor T6 Folding Saw is one of the few folding saws you can order with confidence. Tabor provides an unlimited customer satisfaction guarantee.
2. The Silky Folding Landscaping Saw – Best Multifunctional Folding SawThe Silky Folding Landscaping Saw comes as a good choice for any outdoor enthusiast looking for multipurpose or multifunctional folding saws. This model comes with a refined Japanese cutting technology, making it perfect for various applications.
First, it has a tooth design, which is hardened to handle any outdoor abuse presented and manufactured with patented Miraime to offer smooth cutting.
Second, it boasts an impulse-hardening technology that involves special high-frequency heating where the teeth are instantly heated and hardened. The remaining part of the saw remains unchanged and retains its flexibility. This results in harder teeth compared to the ordinary file that stays sharp three times longer than non-hardened teeth.
Lastly, this product’s manufacturers provide a carrying case made of custom hard plastic, too, for enhanced portability.
Hence, from its precision-ground and impulse-hardened teeth to its premium handle that provides superior performance and exceptional ergonomics, the Silky Folding Landscaping Saw should be your multipurpose folding saw of choice for all outdoor activities.
3. The Bahco 396-LAP Folding Saw – Best Folding Saw for BackpackingThe Bahco 396-LAP Folding Saw is one of the most ubiquitous gear every backpacking enthusiast should have. This folding saw is 9 inches long when folded; the perfect size for any reliable, light, compact, and easy to use folding saw for camping, bushcraft, and backyard gardening activities.
It has a good grip and a solid build alongside a great construction quality. It is also well dimensioned for cutting branches and small and medium trees. Moreover, it has seven teeth per inch made of heavy-duty steel with anti-rust epoxy coating.
Meanwhile, its handle is shatterproof and made of high-grade plastic with rubber coatings that provide undoubtable grip even during wet conditions.
4. The Corona RS 7265 Tooth Folding Saw – Best Curved Folding SawThe Corona RS 7265 Tooth Folding Saw is a curved folding saw that is perfect for pruning small and medium branches. Some of the key features of this folding saw include:
- Three-sided razor teeth – This 10-inch saw blade has 3-sided teeth for efficient pruning. Thus, it is ideal for cutting branches between five to six inches in diameter.
- Ergonomic design and comfortable handle
- Easy-to-latch blade – Its curved blade is taper-ground and replaceable. It also latches easily to prevent accidents when not in use.
- Impulse-hardened teeth – As with the Tabor folding saw, this saw has impulse-hardened teeth for extended service, too.
5. The Silky Professional Series Bigboy 2000 Hand Saw – Best Landscaping Hand SawIf you want a long folding blade, The Silky Professional Series Bigboy 2000 Hand Saw is your blade of choice. It features a 14.5-inch long blade with 5.5 teeth per inch.
This saw is better known for landscaping with its excellent applications in trimming, gardening. and pruning. It is also lightweight yet extra durable and effective for small tree cutting and limbing.
Moreover, its blade opens to two positions that add to its effectiveness. Its blade is made of SK4 carbon steel, which is pivoted to an aluminum handle.
Lastly, a non-slip cover covers the aluminum handle that can accommodate both hands for enhanced ease of use.
How To Choose A Good Folding Saw?
With so many folding saw models available, it can be hard to judge the right one for your needs. To make it easier for you to select, you need to consider the following factors:
- Ergonomics – A folding saw that cannot be controlled in the hands comfortably, would be a waste. You have to handle it firmly within your hands so that it is easier to cut and saw wood with it.
- Design – Surely, the saw blade of the chosen tool has to be high in quality. But, that is not the only thing of consideration. You would also need to have a firm grip on your selected folding saw. Furthermore, the designed grip should be made with a non-slippery material to let you hold it tightly in your hands. You do not want it to slip out of your hands and cause accidents.
- Length – A folding saw’s blade’s length, as well as that of the handle, needs to be appropriate. You are going to use the knife to saw through the wood, for which you need a back and forth motion. A small saw blade will not allow much scope for the movement. That can eventually make you tired quickly with low productivity. Thus, choose a saw that is at least 6 inches in length.
- Additional features – You should additionally look for features like a rust-proof body, safety lock, etc., in your chosen folding saw. That way, you can improve your safety as well as productivity.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Folding Saw
As mentioned prior, there is a myriad of folding saws present on the market. As some brands may look intriguing, not all brands can meet your needs. This is why you should carefully consider several factors before buying any folding saws.
Before getting into the specifications, here are some of the reasons and benefits of finding the best folding saw for your needs.
- Versatile – Folding saws are the most versatile type among the ones mentioned above. With these saws, you will save your knife from the damage that comes with cutting wood and preparing firewood. Note that top models have adjustable blades that come in handy for hunting and camping trips.
- Lightweight – Folding saws are designed for various outdoor activities. Therefore, to ease portability, they are lightweight and designed to be carried for long periods. Their intricate folding mechanism reduces their size to fit in any storage space.
- Affordable – Compared to multifunctional survival knives that can be quite pricey, folding saws are affordable and easy to maintain. They are also designed to handle extreme punishment as their durability ascertains use for multiple years.
Key features to consider
Having outlined the benefits of these products, below are some of the key features to consider when looking for the best folding saw. This will ensure that you get the most from your money as well as avoid cheaper knockoffs.
To begin, folding saws are perfect for multifunctional use. However, there are different sub-specifications with each class perfect for a specific task. For instance, best folding saws for camping are great for camping activities while some are better suited for gardening and home activities.
Therefore, begin by identifying what you intend to use the saw for. Ask yourself some questions regarding the intended use. For instance, will the saw be part of your survival gear? Is it an emergency tool? Do you need it for trimming wood?
If you have already identified this, proceed and select a product that can handle the task expertly.
The size of a saw is important for the specific job it’s designed for. Top kinetic log splitters are a bigger type of saw because they are made for splitting tree trunks. While smaller jamb saws (top models here) are made more compact to easily cut door casings.
Folding saws, on the other hand, come in a myriad of sizes despite their folding feature. Size determination is among the major prospects of determining the best use for the saw. Most saws are commonly used for camping and hunting activities, but others can come in handy for backpackers.
Regardless of the use, the size of the folding saw should be medium. An extra big saw will certainly be strenuous and quite frustrating to carry around. Meanwhile, having the right size will save carrying and packaging space.
Folding Saw Weight
The weight of the saw goes hand in hand with its size. Obviously, a huge saw most often translates to heavyweight. The weight of the saw also interlinks with the size in that a heavy and large saw makes it troublesome to carry along.
An adjustable folding saw blade offers more versatility. This is because you will be able to tighten and loosen the blade depending on the current use. Additionally, the most versatile folding saws feature interchangeable blades that allow users to swap them if they need something stronger for strenuous uses.
Gripping and Comfort
Like any other outdoor gear, making sure that you are comfortable using it is of immense importance. For folding saws, this is determined by the saw’s grip. Many people often ignore this.
It is beneficial to have a saw you can hold securely. Hence, the grips of folding saws might be changed if necessary. However, it is prudent if you find a satisfactory grip from the start.
Fast Cutting Action
If you need a folding saw to make fast cuts, the best folding saws for camping should be your choice. Sure, they aren’t huge cutting tools like a top rated log splitter, but it is more than efficient for their specific purpose. These saws handle fast cutting actions expertly. You will be able to cut more swiftly, especially when preparing wood for your camp. However, this feature requires a stronger and more durable blade.
Safety is always an essential factor. Therefore, you must ensure that the saw has some safety features. An essential safety feature for any folding blade is the lock on the handle. You can also opt to purchase top kevlar cut resistant gloves for added safety.
Remember that folding blades ought to have a lock that keeps the folded handle securely in place. Ensure that this works properly to prevent the blade from swinging back and causing potential damage. This isn’t commonly present for other types of saws, like top toe kick saws, which have the blade guard as their main safety feature.
Teeth Number and Type
The design and use of teeth dictate how the blade performs. The number of teeth, often referred to as TPI, indicates the best use of the folding saw. Any folding saw with more teeth produces smoother cuts.
Likewise, the size of the teeth is also an important factor to consider. Whereas larger teeth provide faster cutting and are better for softwood, smaller teeth provide fine cuts slowly for hardwood. Medium teeth size is also best for hardwoods.
Material and Quality
The type of metal used to make the saw should also be considered. Some materials are cheaper but don’t last long. Some products also have varying quality controls, making them less reliable.
FAQs About Folding Saws
Q: Can Folding Saws Be Sharpened?
The answer to this is both yes and no. Two key factors affect if a folding saw can be sharpened or not. The first one is the brand and the second is how the saw behaves after sharpening.
When it comes to brands, there are those that recommend replacement instead of sharpening. Consider the Silky Folding Landscaping Saw discussed above. It is made from high-quality Japanese steel that is heat-tempered on the cutting edges to facilitate long lasting service. That means sharpening is not required.
The behavior of a saw after sharpening is the key reason to avoid sharpening. Often, despite sharpening, it is impossible to recapture the original sharpness. Consequently, sharpening the saw will only prolong use for a short period.
Q: Do Folding Saws Cut on Only the Pull Stroke?
No. The angle of the teeth determines if the folding saw will cut on the pull or push stroke. Choosing between the two will depend on the intended use.
Push Stroke Saws
Saws that cut on the push stroke have teeth that point away from the handle. These saws are perfect for cutting through tough materials because it is easier to exert pressure on a saw when pushing instead of pulling.
Consequently, if you intend to use the saw for camping, then a push stroke saw is ideal because it will effortlessly cut through wood.
Pull Stroke Saws
Saws that cut on the push stroke have teeth that point towards the handle. These saws usually have thin blades for precise and delicate cuts.
Additionally, when pulling a saw towards you, there is more control over each stroke. As a result, it is easier to keep the saw in a straight line and achieve a neat finish. So, if the intended use is the carving of wood figurines, this is the saw to go for.
Saws That Cut on Both the Pull and Push Stroke
The teeth on these saws point straight down and are not angled either forward or backward. They are perfect for fast and aggressive sawing. These saws are multipurpose because they can cut through tough materials and can also be used for delicate finishing.
When shopping for a folding saw, ensure you check the angle of the teeth. Measure that against your intended use before purchase.
A good example to consider is the Silky Folding Landscape Knife discussed above. Its teeth point backward toward the handle. That makes it a pull stroke saw.
Q: How Does One Clean a Blade That Is Covered in Resin?
If you use your saw to cut trees, then it is bound to collect tree sap. The only rule of thumb when it comes to cleaning is that you should avoid solvents and stick to soap and water.
A mild cleaner such as an oven cleaner is also acceptable. When using a mild cleaner, spray the blades and leave it for 10 minutes. After that, use a brush or toothbrush to clean and leave it to dry. Then, spray with WD-40 after drying.
Note that you should adhere to proper cleaning practices such as wearing gloves and safety glasses to avoid injury.
Ready To Buy The Best Folding Saw?
Deciding on the specific type of folding saw to purchase solely lies on your situation and your primary concerns. Don’t forget though that even the biggest folding saw cannot be as powerful as a top-rated wood splitting maul for bigger wood chunks. And if weight and size are your primary concern, go for a suitably small folding saw.
From the features outlined above, you can easily discern the best folding saw to purchase. Additionally, our folding saw review outlined some of the best products in the market. You can go for either of these products.
As an outdoor enthusiast, which of the models mentioned above have you tried? Which one is your favorite and for which use? Share with us in the comments section below!