Standing for long periods in one place can be bad for your back, especially to senior people. This is even truer if you struggle to walk annd necessitate the assistance of a cane.
The good news is that there is a device that makes walking and standing easier – the folding cane seats.
Otherwise referred to as portable walking cane stools, these products are designed to provide a sturdy and comfortable seat when opened and a secure walking aid when closed (Source).
The best folding cane seats ought to be lightweight, made of strong materials, stable, and affordable.
Best Folding Cane Seats 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Folding Cane Seats 2019
- 2 1. The Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Cane Seat – Best Budget-Friendly Cane with Seat
- 3 2. The Mac Sports Folding Cane Seat – Best Cane Seat for Outdoors and Running Errands
- 4 3. The Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat – Best Adjustable Height Folding Cane Seat
- 5 4. The Switch Sticks Seat Folding Walking Cane Seat – Best Folding Cane Seat for Outdoor Events
- 6 5. The Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair – Best Folding Cane Seat for Tall People
- 7 Things to Consider Before Buying Folding Cane Seats
- 8 Final Verdict
|The Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Cane Seat|
|The Mac Sports Folding Cane Seat|
|The Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat|
|The Switch Sticks Seat Folding Walking Cane Seat|
|The Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair|
1. The Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Cane Seat – Best Budget-Friendly Cane with SeatThis is perhaps the best stylish, lightweight, and modern portable seat that provides sturdy support as a cane.
The cane seat is made of durable aluminum bronze and sturdy legs with vinyl-contoured tips that support weights of up to 250 pounds. Compared to other seats on the market, it is larger and measures approximately 15 x 6 inches.
Additionally, it is made of a comfortable fabric fixed 21 inches from the floor. The cane seat comes with comfortable foam grip handles fitted to both arms that are 21.5 inches wide when open.
According to instructions, the best way to sit is by straddling the seat with the taller arm being at the front.
Meanwhile, the feet or legs of this seat are fitted with rubber tips that prevent the seat from sliding. Plus, they extend to a maximum of 16.5 inches when fully opened. Most users attested that they liked the seat’s portability and ease of use. So to say, it can be taken on airplanes and stored in overhead compartments.
Likewise, the handy seat cane itself is 34 inches tall when closed and weighs approximately 2.4 pounds.
Many people identify this seat as a comfortable, stable, and convenient folding cane seat. Others agree that the seat helps with lower back pains and is ideal for those who have to spend lots of time in one place.
2. The Mac Sports Folding Cane Seat – Best Cane Seat for Outdoors and Running ErrandsJust like the drive deluxe medical folding cane, the Mac Sports Folding Cane Seat is a unique and stylish product that makes the most tiresome walks or stands pleasant. It functions effectively as a walking stick and stool.
This cane seat is lightweight and weighs only 2lbs. It is the best portable seat for running errands, traveling, and going to events. The seat is made of strong, sturdy, and reliable 19mm powder coated aluminum that can support weight capacities of up to 225 pounds.
Like other high-end models, its legs are fitted with slip-preventing tips. Additionally, the durable 600-denier polyester fabric used in the seat ascertains lengthy use. The 12-inches square seat also comes in myriads of colors including black, blue, and green.
As expected, the seat folds flat if you need to use it as a cane. It also has a strap that enhances portability functions. Its dimensions are 34.5 inches and 20.5 inches from the floor to seat, respectively.
Most users liked how easy it is to carry around the cane seat with its strap. However, many have issues with its non-adjustable height that limits its use to people of certain heights.
Therefore, overall, this is a perfect stool for people who need available places to sit on when out and about; more than it is for people of an unsuited height.
3. The Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat – Best Adjustable Height Folding Cane SeatThe Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat is a well-thought of, easy to use, and innovative supportive cane seat. As the name suggests, its height can be adjusted from 19” to 22” depending on the user’s needs.
Like other Drive Medical cane seats, this seat is made with strong aluminum construction featuring tripod design to provide enough stability. The vinyl-contoured tips add to the functionality of this product.
This handy seat supports weights of up to 250 pounds and only weighs 1.3 pounds. As mentioned before, the seat has an adjustable height of up to 22 inches, with a width of 9 inches.
The general consensus surrounding the Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat is that it easily folds and unfolds. Hence, it is perfect for people who can’t stand on their feet for too long. It is also a great walking stick for anywhere at anytime – be it on the beach, watching fireworks, or when waiting in line.
4. The Switch Sticks Seat Folding Walking Cane Seat – Best Folding Cane Seat for Outdoor EventsThe 2 in 1 walking cane offers the great stability of a walking stick and great convenience of a sturdy seat. The seat comes in handy when waiting in long queues, resting while traveling, participating in outdoor events, resting when shopping, going for a walk, or even while cooking at home.
For a walking stick, it is good for those with heights ranging between 5ft to 5’2″ because it is not adjustable. Thus, users should ensure that they get the correct measurements from the floor to knee before purchasing it.
The seat is made of lightweight yet strong aluminum that supports weights of up to 220 pounds. When not in use, the handy seat walking cane easily folds up for easy storage either at home, on the plane, or your car.
Additionally, it features a smooth and comfortable grip handle alongside slip-free leg tips that keep the seats sturdy while walking or sitting. The seat raises approximately 20 inches from the floor with a height of 34 inches when folded. Likewise, it weighs only 3.0lbs and has colorful patterns of bubbles.
Moreover, many users also confessed that they prefer this seat because it looks old-fashioned and less medical. The beautiful color strands add some fun to the outfit.
5. The Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair – Best Folding Cane Seat for Tall PeopleThe Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair is a fashionable and stylish cane seat that functions expertly as a walking stick and chair depending on the presenting circumstances. You will like the sturdy, easy to use, and reliable nature of the seat.
The seat is made of durable canvas and steel design that is comparatively heavier than other products on the market. This offers a long-lasting seat that supports weights of up to 250lbs.
The Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair is a good chair option if you are searching for a cane seat that provides a perfect match between price and quality. It is best for tall people who can’t stay on their feet for long periods.
Things to Consider Before Buying Folding Cane Seats
Folding cane seat models are bountiful on the market. All vary in their make, functionality, and design. This can make the search process overwhelming especially if you are looking for a medically prescribed seat, or just in need of a perfect walking and sitting cane seat.
To help you find the best, consider the following tips.
Cane Seat Materials
There are three main materials used in making folding cane seats. They include:
- Wood – common with traditional cane seats, which usually come with round handles. These are often inexpensive and feature rubber tips at the bottom for enhanced grip on the various surfaces. However, they aren’t adjustable and are often cut to appropriate lengths by the user.
- Aluminum – compared to wood cane seats, aluminum seats are lightweight and stronger than wood. Due to this, most folding cane seats are made from aluminum. Like wood, they contain rubber tips for better grip as well.
- Steel – compared to the other materials, steel cane seats are the strongest and lightest.
Folding cane seats are versatile and can be used as walking sticks. This is why looking into the type of handle is of immense importance. Consider one of the following handles.
- Round handles – traditional and typically an upside-down “U” handle, it is common with wooden cane seats.
- Derby handles – they are a great choice for a comfortable grip and those who have trouble gripping like people with arthritis. These handles are found in aluminum or wooden cane seats.
- Offset handles – these handles have a curve below the gripping surface that transfers your exerted weight directly down the shaft of the cane; providing more stability.
If you are looking for folding cane seats under a doctor’s prescription, it is prudent to inquire from the doctor for recommendations. This is especially important if you are suffering from back pains and associated conditions.
Cane Seat Height
As mentioned in the reviews, some seats are not height adjustable. Therefore, if you intend to purchase such handy seats, consider finding a proper seat for your body frame. Always use the size chart to guide your selection.
Seats support various weight capacities. Depending on the strength of construction, seats can support heavy or light weights. Therefore, it is prudent to always confirm your weight against the seat’s threshold before purchasing it.
Design and Price
You can also consider the design of the seat and its price. Various cane seats offer fun and interesting patterns that suit different styles and tastes, while the price is something everyone has to consider when buying something.
Most importantly, be sure to check out a product’s safety features like its locks and screws, tips, and sturdiness. Some products feel flimsy with the way they’re attached, while others are well-built and well-fitted part by part.
Meanwhile, you can check for a portable seat’s stability and sturdiness by putting pressure on it and observing how it reacts to it.
Finding the best cane seat that suits your needs can be challenging. However, knowing what to expect from the various seat options on the market helps immensely. The different models/types of folding seats highlighted above can give you better ideas of the various seats.
From the various models in our folding cane seats review above, which is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!