Standing for long periods in one place can be bad for your back, especially to senior people. This is even true if you struggle to walk, necessitating the assistance of a cane.
The good news to this is that there is a device that makes walking and standing easier – the folding cane seats.
Otherwise referred to as portable walking hair cane stools, these products are designed to provide a sturdy and comfortable seat when opened and a secure walking aid when closed.
The best folding cane seats ought to be lightweight, made of strong materials, extra stable and affordable, especially if prescribed for medication purposes.
With the plenty of cane seats present on the market currently, finding the best can be confusing. However, worry not as our folding cane seats review below outlines some of the best products and tips to consider as you go shopping.
The 5 Best Folding Cane Seats
|The Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Cane Seat|
|The Mac Sports Folding Cane Seat|
|The Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat|
|The Switch Sticks Seat Folding Walking Cane Seat|
|The Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair|
1. The Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Cane Seat – Best Budget-Friendly Cane with SeatThis is perhaps the best stylish, lightweight and modern cane-seat that provides sturdy support as a cane. It also expertly functions as a comfortable seat when opened, all depending on your needs.
This cane seat is made of strong aluminum bronze and features for sturdy legs with vinyl-contoured tips that support weights of up to 250 pounds. Compared to other seats on the market, it is larger and measures approximately 15 x 6 inches.
It is made of a comfortable fabric that seats 21 inches from the floor. The Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Cane Seat is 34 inches tall when closed, and weighs approximately 2.4 pounds.
The cane seat comes with comfortable foam grip handles fitted to both arms that are 21.5 inches wide when open. According to instructions, the best way to sit is by straddling the seat with the taller arm being at the front.
The feet or legs of this seat are fitted with rubber tips that prevent the seat from sliding. They also extend to a maximum of 16.5 inches when fully opened. Most users attested that they liked the seat’s portability and ease of use. So to say, it can be taken on airplanes and stored in overhead compartments.
Many people identify this seat as a comfortable, stable and convenient folding cane seat. Others agree that the seat helps with lower back pains and ideal for those who have to spend lots of time in one place.
2. The Mac Sports Folding Cane Seat – Best Cane Seat for Outdoors and Running ErrandsJust like the drive deluxe medical folding cane, the Mac Sports Folding Cane Seat is a unique and stylish product that makes the most tiresome walks or stands pleasantly. It functions effectively as a walking stick and stool.
This cane seat is lightweight, weighing only 2lbs making it overly portable thus a perfect tool for running errands, traveling and going to events. The seat is made of strong, sturdy and reliable 19mm powder coated aluminum that can support weight capacities of up to 225 pounds.
Like other high-end models, its legs are fitted with slip-preventing tips to avoid slipping when in use. The durable 600-denier polyester fabric used in the seat ascertains lengthy use. The 12-inches square seat also comes in myriads of colors including black, blue and green that provides a wealth of choices for users.
The seat folds flat if you need to use it as a cane making it compact and easy to transport or store. It also has a strap that enhances portability functions. The dimensions of this seat are 34.5 inches and 20.5 inches height from the floor to seat respectively.
Most users liked how easy it is to carry around the cane seat with its strap. However, many have issues with its non-adjustable height that limits its use to people of certain heights. Overall, this is a perfect stool for people who need available places to sit on when out and about.
3. The Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat – Best Adjustable Height Folding Cane SeatThe Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat is a well-thought of, easy to use and innovative supportive cane seat present currently. As the name suggests, its height can be adjusted from 19” to 22” depending on the user’s needs.
Like other Drive Medical cane seats, this seat is made with strong aluminum construction featuring tripod design to provide enough stability. The vinyl-contoured tips add to the functionality of this product.
The Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat supports weights of up to 250 pounds and only weighs 1.3 pounds. As mentioned before, the seat has an adjustable height of up to 22 inches, with a width of 9 inches.
The general consensus surrounding the Drive Medical Adjustable Height Folding Seat is that it easily folds and unfolds thus perfect for people who can’t stand on their feet for too long. It is also a perfect walking stick everywhere and anytime, be it on the beach, watching fireworks, parades or when waiting in line.
4. The Switch Sticks Seat Folding Walking Cane Seat – Best Folding Cane Seat for Outdoor EventsThe 2 in 1 walking cane offers the great stability of a walking stick and great convenience of a sturdy seat. The seat comes in handy when waiting in long queues, resting while traveling, use during outdoor events, resting when shopping, going for a walk or even while cooking at home.
For a walking stick, it is perfect for those of heights ranging between 5ft to 5’2” tall. It is also not adjustable. Thus users should ensure that they get the correct measurements from the floor to knee before purchasing it.
The seat is made of lightweight yet strong aluminum that supports weights of up to 220 pounds. When not in use, the Switch Sticks Seat Folding Walking Cane Seat easily folds up for easy storage either at home, on the plane or your car.
Additional features of this quality seat include the smooth and comfortable grip handle and the slip-free leg tips that keep the seats sturdy while walking or sitting. The seat raises approximately 20 inches from the floor with a height of 34 inches when folded. It weighs only 3.0lbs and has colorful patterns of bubbles.
For most customers, their general consensus is that the cane seat is strong, easy to use, folds easily taking a little storage room and overly sturdy. Many users also confessed that they prefer this seat because it looks old-fashioned and less medical. The beautiful color strands add some fun to the outfit.
5. The Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair – Best Folding Cane Seat for Tall PeopleThe Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair is a fashionable and stylish cane seat that functions expertly as a walking stick and chair depending on the presenting circumstances. You will like the sturdy, easy to use and reliable nature of the seat.
The seat is made of durable canvas and steel design that is comparatively heavier than other products on the market. This offers a durable and comfortable seat that supports weights of up to 250lbs. The steel legs partly contribute to this.
The Stadium Chair Portable Cane Walking Chair is a good chair option if you are searching for a cane seat that provides a perfect match between price and quality. It is a perfect choice for tall persons who can’t stay on their feet for long periods.
Various users agreed on how the seat is compact but still strong enough for heavier persons. Others revealed that this product could help with relieving pack pains thus a great choice for those suffering from back pains.
Things to Consider Before Buying Folding Cane Seats
Folding cane seat models are available in plenty on the market. All vary in their make, functionality, and design. This can make the search process overwhelming, especially if you are looking for a medically prescribed seat, or just in need of a perfect walking and sitting cane seat.
To help you find the best, consider the following tips.
Cane Seat Materials
There are three main materials used in making folding cane seats. They include:
- Wood – wood is common with traditional cane seats, which usually come with round handles. They are made from different species of wood. These types are often inexpensive and feature rubber tips at the bottom for enhanced grip on the various surfaces when in use. However, they aren’t adjustable and often cut to appropriate lengths by the user.
- Aluminum – compared to wood cane seats, aluminum seats are lightweight and stronger than wood. Due to this, most folding cane seats are made from aluminum, but also feature rubber tips that provide better grips.
- Steel – compared to the other materials, steel cane seats are the strongest and lightest.
Folding cane seats are versatile and can be used as walking sticks. This is why looking into the type of handle is of immense importance. Consider one of the following handles.
- Round handles – this is the most traditional looking handle. It is typically an upside “U” handle, and common with wooden cane seats and few aluminum canes.
- Derby handles – they are a great choice for a comfortable grip. They are an ideal choice for those who have trouble gripping, especially people with arthritis. These handles can be found in aluminum or wood cane seats.
- Offset handles – these handles have a curve below the gripping surface that transfers your exerted weight directly down the shaft of the cane. This provides more stability.
If you are looking for folding cane seats under a doctor’s prescription, it is prudent to inquire from the doctor for recommendations. This is especially important if you are suffering from back pains and associated conditions.
Cane Seat Height
As mentioned in the reviews, some seats are not height adjustable. Therefore, if you intend to purchase such cane seats, consider finding a proper seat for your body frame. Always use the size chart to guide your selection.
Seats support various weight capacities. Depending on the strength of construction, seats can support heavy or lightweights. Therefore, it is prudent to always confirm your weight, against the seat’s threshold before purchasing it.
You can also consider the design of the seat. Various cane seats offer fun and interesting patterns that suit different styles and tastes.
Final Verdict on the Best Folding Cane Seats
Finding the best cane seat that suits your needs can be challenging. However, knowing what to expect from the various seat options on the market helps immensely. The different models/types of folding seats highlighted above can give you better ideas of the various seats.
Perhaps the most important thing to consider when shopping is the safety of the seat. This creates a difference between tripods and quad cane seats. Additionally, consider the comfortability of the seat, portability, and affordability before settling on one.
From the various models in our folding cane seats review above, which is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!