If you are among those who love outdoor activities such as backpacking, camping, hiking, and mountaineering, you need a quality backpack to carry your items. Those looking for the most convenient option should search for the best external frame backpack.
Why choose these backpacks? They feature an aluminum frame which is mounted externally (Source).
The frame is long lasting which makes the backpack suitable for carrying heavy loads. The best thing about these bags is that they are very comfortable and are also spacious.
Additionally, they provide better ventilation as compared to other backpacks.
However, you need to be very careful when buying to ensure that you get value for your money. A good external frame backpack should be durable, comfortable, spacious and well ventilated to prevent sweating.
To make your work easier when buying, below is a list of the best external frame backpacks on the market.
Best External Frame Backpacks 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best External Frame Backpacks 2019
- 2 1. Kelty Yukon External Frame Pack – The Best External Frame Backpack Overall
- 3 2. ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Bag – Best External Frame Backpack for Money
- 4 3. Kelty TIOGA External Frame – Most Durable External Frame Backpack
- 5 4. Extreme Pak Dgt Camo Mountaineers Backpack by B&F – Most Affordable External Frame Backpack
- 6 5. Outdoor Products Dragonfly External Frame Backpack – BestExternal Frame Backpack for Young Hikers
- 7 Factors to Consider When Buying External Frame Backpacks
- 8 Why Should You Buy an External Frame Backpack?
- 9 External Frame Backpacks FAQs
- 10 Our Final Thoughts on the Best External Frame Backpack
|Kelty Yukon External Frame Pack|
|ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Bag|
|Kelty TIOGA External Frame|
|Extreme Pak Dgt Camo Mountaineers Backpack|
|Outdoor Products Dragonfly|
1. Kelty Yukon External Frame Pack – The Best External Frame Backpack OverallThis one has a nice design and features an adjustable suspension. This makes it among the best backpack for young hikers.
The frame has a hip belt and the back panel is properly ventilated. It also comes with shoulder straps which ensure that the weight of your load is uniformly distributed to ensure that you can carry the backpack easily.
Additionally, it comes with belt stabilizers and adjustable straps. Apart from that, it features double foam on the shoulders straps and around the hip belt to provide comfort. You can also adjust the hip belt easily to suit your requirements.
Another fantastic thing about this backpack is that it comes with six storage pockets which provide more storage space for your items. Moreover, it comes with a separate compartment with a zipper where you can keep your sleeping bag. Moreover, the hydration sleeves can store up to 3 liters of fluids.
If you are searching for a comfortable, large and well designed external frame backpack, Kelty Yukon Pack might be the perfect choice for you. The best thing about it is that it comes with a lifetime warranty.
2. ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Bag – Best External Frame Backpack for Money
This one is an excellent choice for all your hunting and outdoor excursions. It is spacious enough and it can accommodate everything that you may require. It has an incredible 5250 cubic inches capacity. You should also note that it is sturdy and can withstand wear and tear.
Apart from that, the frame is made of aluminum to make it strong and durable. It is also lightweight since it is made of Nylon ripstop. This material is long lasting and waterproof.
You will find that it has a divider in the middle and at the bottom which allows you to organize your items in order of their importance. This makes your work easier when searching for an item.
Another thing is that it is well padded around the shoulders. The waist straps are also padded to make you comfortable.
Additionally, it features a spindrift collar which has a drawstring closure to provide an extra space at the top. You should also note that it has many pockets where you can place smaller items.
The backpack also features a back band mesh which provides the required ventilation to prevent sweating.
3. Kelty TIOGA External Frame – Most Durable External Frame BackpackIf you are searching for a long lasting external frame backpack, Kelty Tioga External Frame might be what you need.
This one is made of long-lasting double ripstop nylon, a 500-denier Kodra, and 450-denier nylon material. It is large enough to accommodate all your items. Apart from that, it allows you to carry additional items such as a sleeping bag.
Additionally, it has a 3-zipper pocket on the sides and a stash pocket where you can keep small items. You can also keep some of your items in the big front pocket.
Many people like it because it features additional pockets inside the backpack where you can place water bottle and other hydration systems up to 3 liters. You can buy the hydration system differently since it is not included.
The backpack is very comfortable especially for long trips where you need to carry a lot of gears. It comes with adjustable straps which allows you to adjust the load to ensure you are comfortable. This means that you will not feel the additional weight.
It also comes with belt stabilizers and shoulder straps which makes the frame to be very comfortable when carrying an extra load. Finally, it features an extra mesh band which enhance ventilation when the weather is hot.
4. Extreme Pak Dgt Camo Mountaineers Backpack by B&F – Most Affordable External Frame BackpackThe best thing about Extreme Pak Dgt Camo is that it is very affordable. It is made of heavy-duty materials which makes it strong and durable.
This model is ideal for mountaineers who are searching for a backpack with both superior suspension and extra storage.
It comes with big compartments which can hold up to 12 small duck decoys and other items. Apart from that, it has 6 additional pockets where you can keep small items and a water bottle. It is able to withstand external elements like bad weather since it is made of waterproof material.
In addition, it comes with additional straps and adjustable suspension which allows you to carry extra items that cannot fit inside. You should also note that it features an adjustable shoulder harness and waist strap which ensures that you are comfortable.
It looks like a military bag but it is suitable for hiking and camping.
5. Outdoor Products Dragonfly External Frame Backpack – BestExternal Frame Backpack for Young HikersThis external frame backpack is ideal for those on a tight budget. It is affordable and one of the best for hiking. It’s very comfortable which makes it suitable for young hikers. It is also ideal for camping since it is lightweight.
It is designed in a unique way and it can fit smaller frames of young hikers. The backpack also fits users with a torso length of between 15-18 inches. You will also note that it is small in size but despite its small size, it provides a large storage area where you can store different items that you may need when hiking or camping.
This backpack also has a capacity of 2780 cubic inches and features top loading compartments and two side pockets. These pockets are large enough and they can hold a 32-ounce water bottle. It also has a nice bungee’s compression system which keeps everything in the bag intact.
Lastly, it has a nice mesh suspension system which keeps you cool when carrying a heavy load. Lastly, it is well padded around the shoulders and the hip belt is also padded. The best thing is that it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Factors to Consider When Buying External Frame Backpacks
You should be very careful when buying external frame backpacks to ensure that you have purchased a quality product. It is not possible to determine the price of a backpack just by the appearance.
Since the weather is unpredictable, you should always be prepared by ensuring that the backpack you have selected is waterproof. The materials should either be 100% waterproof or at least semi-proof. Ensure the material is able to keep your items dry in all weather conditions.
When traveling for a long distance with a heavy backpack, you should ensure that the weight you are carrying is distributed equally. This means that the backpack you select should have a soft and wide hip strap. The strap should be easy to adjust.
Shoulder straps are also important since they help to relieve pain which might result when you are carrying a bulky load. Some backpacks feature chest straps which help in weight distribution. Such a backpack will be very comfortable despite the load you are carrying.
Ensure that the backpack you have chosen is well padded and will be able to offer the required back support when carrying heavy items. A poorly positioned backpack can lead to back pain and other problems.
The material you have selected should be lightweight and durable. Nylon is one of the best materials you should consider since it is very easy to carry. You should also consider the items you would like to carry with the backpack. Ensure that it has a nice design which will allow you to carry them easily.
A backpack with good ventilation will be very important especially when you are hiking when the temperatures are high especially summer. These backpacks are very comfortable to carry in such conditions since external backpacks feature a non-anatomical design.
Ensure that the backpack you have selected is large enough and can accommodate all the things you would wish to carry comfortably. If possible, you should look for a backpack with side compartments. This will create space for snacks and water and will allow you to access them easily.
Why Should You Buy an External Frame Backpack?
One of the best things about these backpacks is that they allow you to carry heavy loads comfortably. They are well padded and comes with straps which enables you to adjust the backpack according to your requirements.
Another thing is that they are well ventilated and allow the circulation of air, especially in hot areas.
These ones are more affordable as compared to internal frame backpacks.
You will realize that they are large enough which means that you can carry many items. They also come with additional pockets which allows you to carry small items.
External Frame Backpacks FAQs
Q: How to Pack Your External Frame Backpack Properly?
No matter what you are bringing, there are some general rules regarding the layout you should follow when packing an external frame backpack. The following rules can help in fitting any specific items into your backpack:
- Proper weight distribution – You should take into account the weight of all items before starting to pack. Make sure that the weight is distributed evenly on either side to reduce fatigue and shoulder strain.
- Necessary gadgets should be outside – While gadget hooks and side compartments can be very useful, you should not always rely on them. Your necessities, such as a tactical flashlight and hanging EDC kit, are the only things that need to be placed outside.
- Pack tightly to prevent potential snags – Backpacks with external frames may easily snag or get caught on hanging branches and bushes. This is particularly true when walking through covered paths and dense foliage. To prevent potential snags, pack your tent tightly and secure your gadgets with bungee cables.
Q: How to Clean My External Frame Backpack?
You should keep your backpack clean. The cleaning regimen of these backpacks is a bit ‘drawn-out’ because of external frames. This is why you will need to do the following things when cleaning your backpack:
- Empty everything before doing anything else.
- Dry clean your backpack using the vacuum cleaner nozzle. You need to clean every nook and cranny of your backpack. Pay particular attention to dust and dirt hidden in the creases where stitches meet.
- Wash out the frame to remove grime and foreign items from the compartment cloth. This can cause odors and discoloration of your backpack.
- Rub the outside and inside of the internal compartment with white distilled vinegar.
Q: How to Adjust My External Frame Backpack?
It is recommended to adjust your external frame backpack when it is empty. Otherwise, you may run into problems. Because of the positioning of the external frame, you need to keep the same level of restraint and comfort all the time.
So adjust your backpack while empty, then load it up, and sling it over shoulders. If everything is done properly, there might only be some minor adjustments.
Our Final Thoughts on the Best External Frame Backpack
An external from the backpack is an excellent choice if you are searching for a quality backpack for outdoor adventures, such as hunting trips, backpacking trips, hiking, and camping.
The best thing about these backpacks is that they are comfortable and spacious enough to accommodate your items.
They are also well ventilated to prevent sweating. If you are searching for the best, you should consider Kelty Yukon External Frame Pack. The best thing about the backpack is that it comes with a lifetime warranty. You can also look for Kelty TIOGA External Frame if you are searching for a long lasting backpack.
If you are searching for an external frame backpack for your kid, you should consider Outdoor Products Dragonfly. It is affordable, lightweight and comes with a lifetime warranty. ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Bag is the best if you are searching for a spacious backpack. For those in need of a waterproof backpack, Extreme Pak Dgt Camo Mountaineers Backpack might be what you need.
Irrespective of your choice, we hope that this guide will help you in selecting a quality external frame backpack for your outdoor activities.